Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 15

· Rebels Active: 1
Ellen York

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Game of Thrones
Spaceship Dispatcher
With my laptop repaired, this afternoon I'm planning to start watching Game of Thrones from the first episode until the end of series 3; that's as far as the dvd range goes at the moment! I'll be posting thoughts as I go, and would welcome others' opinions on the show too.

@ All GoT fans on Horizon: what are your favourite characters, series, episodes or moments from the show?

Don't worry about spoilers, I already know most of what happens Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

JustBrad
One of the things I love about the series, is that some of the most insignificant characters (on first viewing) evolve into the most important. These are my faves: Daenarys (referred to in our house as Dragon Girl), Arya, and of course, the Anti Hero to end all Anti Heroes, Tyrion Lannister.

As for favorite moments, there are far too many to mention. Far too many..... far too many. Though one of the most memorable is neither bloody, dramatic, or sexy: It's when a character is giving the 'Chaos is a ladder' speech in the third season, and suddenly everything fell into place in my mind. The whole plot suddenly made sense, and I just sat there thinking, "oh... my.... god...."

And as a Blake's 7 fan, you are well prepared for GoT. It helps your psyvhe to be able to watch The Rains of Castamere and say, "I've seen worse."
Edited by JustBrad on 30 December 2014 14:31:06

Space Chopper
Love. This. Series! Started with series 1 DVD boxset, and binge-watched it in two days straight, and did the same with all the series since, and looking forward to the DVD release of series 4 with bated breath. Tyrion is by far my most favourite character- a natural-born survivor, and one of the great wits of Westeros. I'm with Brad on The Rains Of Castamere, too! I remember the shockwaves across the Internet when that aired, and people going WHAAT?!?! And thinking... yeah, just wait 'till you see Blake after 51 episodes of getting to love characters!
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

BradPaula
Absolutely hooked on the series! We now have both series 1 and 2 on dvd and are anxious to go through the series again before the next series premieres for us (Netflix). My favorite character is by far Tyrion Lannister and second, his father, played by Charles Dance. I'd say my favorite was Ned Stark, played by Sean Bean, but he was dumber than a box of rocks, so I sided with Tyrion. It is such a compelling and well written and acted series, I think you'll love it from the start.
BTW: During our New Year's gaming marathon with friends, I'll be playing Hodor, a name you'll recognize before long from the series.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

JustBrad
There's a line in Top Gun, when Goose and Maverick are 'shot down' during a combat training exercise.

Goose: Dear Mothers of Goose and Maverick, the Department of Defense regrets to inform you that your sons were killed because they were stupid.

This could be said of SO MANY in Game Of Thrones.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Have just watched episode one, Winter is Coming, and was impressed from the start with the faux-medieval world created; it not only looks but feels like a real place, I can see right away why its easy to become engaged with what happens there. The tunnel in the first pre-credits sequence, and the first view of the wall, was visually superb. Also, I thought it was very Shakespearian to start the story with three guards who are so minor that they play no further role in the episode apart from dying. Some good scenes, and the one where Tyrion says about wearing a negative tag as armour so that it can't be used against you really stood out. And I already have a favourite quote:

Daenerys: "Ser Jorah, I don't know how to say "thank you" in Dothraki..."
Ser Jorah Mormont: "There is no word for "thank you" in Dothraki!"
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Travisina
I'm a huge, huge fan of GoT - but the books, rather than the TV series. We don't get Sky Atlantic, so I don't see the eps as broadcast. I've borrowed a couple of DVDs, and while I think the production has done a fantastic job with casting, locations, fx etc - it just feels like I'm being told the story in bullet points. Everything seems to happen too quickly, if you see what I mean. The writing is soooo good - there is such wealth of detail; every location, every thought and emotion of each character leap off the page and into my head. I've had the books on permanent loop for two years, and am currently re-reading them for the 4th time. Or possibly 5th.

Fave character is Tyrion, one of my earliest fave moment (in the first book) is after he has his conversation with Jon outside the feasting hall, and tells him: "All dwarfs are bastards in their fathers' eyes, but not all bastards have to be dwarfs". Then as Tyrion turns to go back into the hall, the light from the doorway gives him a long shadow across the yard, 'and for moment Tyrion was as tall as a king.'

The volume that includes the Red Wedding had so many shocks - not just 'the rains of Castermere' but so many revelations, betrayals and deaths that I finished it at 4.00am with pounding heart and sweating palms.

Best advice I was given when I started reading the series was: "Just don't get too fond of anybody..."
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
Travisina wrote:

Best advice I was given when I started reading the series was: "Just don't get too fond of anybody..."

Have just watched the second episode, The Kingsroad, and I would suggest that nobody is likely to get too fond of Sansa Stark; at least, not at this point of the series! The death of Lady was really sad, and Sansa's own fault for putting her pursuit of Joffrey ahead of Ned and Arya.

Travisina
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Have just watched the second episode, The Kingsroad, and I would suggest that nobody is likely to get too fond of Sansa Stark; at least, not at this point of the series! The death of Lady was really sad, and Sansa's own fault for putting her pursuit of Joffrey ahead of Ned and Arya.

Indeed, but the thing about GoT characters is that they are flawed and very human. Sansa gradually grew on me; silly girl though she is. She does not get to have an easy time...

The great thing about having individual chapters from the point of view of different characters is that even if you don't like them and think they behave abominably, you do understand why they are the way they are, why they do what they do.

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

The great thing about having individual chapters from the point of view of different characters is that even if you don't like them and think they behave abominably, you do understand why they are the way they are, why they do what they do.

Indeed, the only one dimensional human villain may be Geoffrey. I can understand, and often empathize with the other antagonists.

JustBrad

Leave your 'simple minded certainties' at the door. Another great thing about GoT is that all characters Change and Grow, just as they should, but so rarely do, in a good drama. Having said that, Sansa's chapters are a struggle to get through.

Edit: Mind you, some change for the better, some for the worse.

Spaceship Dispatcher
That's Lord Snow watched too, the last one today though. I'm starting to really see how the show as a production creates a broader canvas than almost any other drama has managed to do while staying artistically cohesive. The icey wastes, the busy cities, and the almost tropical lands of the Dothraki are so different and yet are blended in a way that brings a unified vision of a varied setting rather than a muddle. My impression of the show is that it's a kind of cross between Merlin and The Tudors, which coming from a fan of both is of course a compliment! I'm also seeing why Tyrion Lannister is a great favourite, such a great character and a wonderful performance.

And a comment I forgot when mentioning episode two: one of Deny's attendants talks of the legend that the Moon is really a Dragon's egg! Even if I didn't already love Dr Who: Kill the Moon as a favourite episode, all would be forgiven for making a whole premise as a homage to a throwaway GoT line...

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

Having said that, Sansa's chapters are a struggle to get through.

I prefer her chapters to Catelyn's. My heart would sink every time I turned the page to find a Catelyn chapter, just as it would leap happily if it were a Tyrion or Dany chapter.

Travisina
My impression of the show is that it's a kind of cross between Merlin and The Tudors...

Actually, it's the War of the Roses crossed with the 30 Year War, crossed with Ancient Rome.
With dragons.

JustBrad
The Sopranos in Middle Earth.... With Dragons.... and Tyrion.

JustBrad

... the legend that the Moon is really a Dragon's egg!.

The more I see and read, the more I am convinced George R R is a sci fi / fantasy geek.

BradPaula
Just to add, the opening sequence and music is superb. I never get tired of hearing the theme and watching the clockwork scenes. Also, actor Peter Dinklage is an American- and that came as quite a shock when I found out he was from Jersey, New Jersey, USA, I mean. Wow!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Space Chopper
JustBrad wrote:

Lord of The Rings meets I, Claudius!
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Spaceship Dispatcher
Travisina wrote:

My impression of the show is that it's a kind of cross between Merlin and The Tudors...

Actually, it's the War of the Roses crossed with the 30 Year War, crossed with Ancient Rome.
With dragons.

By 'the show' I was referring more to the style, design, direction, acting of the drama as a television production; these are what happily remind me of two other genre favourites. I wasn't really thinking of the story/source material tbh, but I can see where you're coming from.

Travisina
Space Chopper wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Lord of The Rings meets I, Claudius!

Definitely I,Claudius but it's a lot more complex than the straightforward good -v- evil of LotR. The Game of Thrones is played by people who on the whole aren't all good or all bad, but are motivated by any mixture of things: ambition/greed/love/revenge/power/fear/laziness/survival...
and may do good things for bad reasons or bad things for good ones.

For example, the Battle of the Blackwater is covered in the book from both sides - we get a chapter from Tyrion's point of view, and a chapter from Davos' point of view. It's the first battle I've read where I wanted both sides to win!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.52 seconds
9,902,673 unique visits since 8th January 2014