Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Fancy a challenge?
purplecleric
Having dipped my toe back into B7 fanfic with the Advent calendar, I'm looking to do more...

... but there are many constraints - time, lack of ideas, sometimes it feels a bit daunting to embark on a long fic. So I thought it would be fun to have a monthly challenge - similar to the ones on LJ and other sites - that focuses on the short and sweet (or not so sweet as this is B7!) And maybe it will light a spark in other writers or tempt someone to have a go...

So do you fancy dabbling in drabbles? Or fiddling with ficlets? Need a nudge?

What form of monthly challenge would you like?

A word prompt?
Complete the scene?
A round robin?
Or something else?

Let me know and I'll kick things off...

BradPaula
I don't know if I would find time to do this, but I would certainly try and be up for a 'word prompt' or 'complete a scene'. It seems like a great idea seeing as how so many of us are frustrated writers!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Travisina
Yes, please! I'd like to vote for a either a 'Word Prompt' or a 'Complete the Scene' (could it be both? Complete the scene using a prompt?)

What sort of word count are you thinking of?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

I don't know if I would find time to do this...

Indeed; all of your time for the next three months at least is already spoken for with reading your way through 60,000 words of new SD-fic... Grin

The word prompt would get my vote if the words were going to be relevant to the genre, otherwise a round robin.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Travisina
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

The word prompt would get my vote if the words were going to be relevant to the genre...

I'm not sure what you mean by that, SD - just about any word you can think of is relevant to B7 - everything from Administration to Zones (taking in en route Trees, Dreams, Justice, Sand, Chess, Mother, Gold, Games, War...)

BradPaula

BradPaula wrote:

I don't know if I would find time to do this...

Indeed; all of your time for the next three months at least is already spoken for with reading your way through 60,000 words of new SD-fic... Grin

The word prompt would get my vote if the words were going to be relevant to the genre, otherwise a round robin.

That much to read, SD? I do have a note at my desk prompting me to read soon but it now looks like it will be after new year's that I'll even have the time. But I promise to read every word soon!

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

That much to read, SD? I do have a note at my desk prompting me to read soon but it now looks like it will be after new year's that I'll even have the time. But I promise to read every word soon!

Well, its not all the same work! The seperate word counts were:

Blake's 7: 3,800 - 2nd Doctor: 22,650 - 11th Doctor: 18,930 - Amy: 16,750 Grin

Travisina wrote:

The word prompt would get my vote if the words were going to be relevant to the genre...

I'm not sure what you mean by that, SD - just about any word you can think of is relevant to B7...

ayatollah, baboon, fondue, guacamole, loess, peony, diectic and many other words in the dictionary are not in common usage within fantasy/sf writing. Transmitter, radiation, ship, asteroid, laser, suit etc are going to be easier to work with!
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

BradPaula
How hard could it be, SD? Avon: Blake, you big baboon, you just sat on my guacamole dip and now I'll have to make due with the peony fondue for my diectic dinner with the ayatollah. Or words to that effect....Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
Right, Paula's done the first one! Who's next?! GrinGrinGrinGrin

Travisina
Transmitter, radiation, ship, asteroid, laser, suit etc are going to be easier to work with!

But where's the challenge in that?

Right, Paula's done the first one! Who's next?! GrinGrinGrinGrin

Okay, how about this:

"Ooh," groaned Vila, "I shouldn't have eaten so much fondue. All that cheese has given me nightmares."

"Serves you right, you great baboon," sneered Avon.

"You mean buffoon, don't you?"

"I know what I mean. Your face is the colour of one of those creature's bottoms, as red as a peony. You also ate all the loess* because you mistook it for guacamole. That was the Moondisk's nest, and Cally is as angry as a mad ayatollah."

(* I had to Google that - "Loess is an aeolian sediment formed by the accumulation of wind-blown silt." The things one learns here!)

purplecleric
Thanks for expressing interest - I'll get my thinking cap on and conjure up an appropriate scene for starters and a suitably tantalising word prompt...

@ Travisina - I suggest a maximum of 500 words but a lot can be said in far less - a drabble is 100 words and I've seen fics of 50 words that pack a punch. And don't forget poems, limericks, vignettes etc.

@ SD - don't worry, the word prompt won't be too obscure but it will be open to interpretation - after all, we all approach things from different angles.

I'm going to park the 'round robin' for a moment - I suspect that might be stretching our resources too far - I'd like this to be fun, not a chore.

So keep an eye out on Jan 1st and prepare to unleash those pens and imaginations!

purplecleric
And I couldn't resist SD's challenge, so here's my take:

The simian creature proffered the flower, blood-red petals dripping. Avon's nose filled with the heady scent, as his mind filled with headier images. Images of power and a soft voice whispered "King, Emperor, Ayatollah, Sultan, God..." His legs turned to jelly, his brain to guacamole and the ground felt like loess beneath his feet.

The creature hooted and scampered with delight over his prone body - now here at last was a treat worthy of its skills. The only question was fillet or fondue?

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.59 seconds
9,155,317 unique visits since 8th January 2014