Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
2.6 Truth & Lies *spoilers*
Joe Dredd
Not a particularly flattering photo of Vila, but it must be hard for BF with only a limited pool of photos to draw from.

Is it because of the "7" that Vila's hair looks likes it has slid over to the right side of his head, away from his left temple? Is he secretly wearing a syrup? Is this indeed what the truth & lies of the title are all about?

TRUTH: "Vila! You're wearing a wig!"
& LIES: "No I'm not!"

i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/Dash_Decent/TruthampLies_zps3373d09e.jpg
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 16 May 2015 16:47:20

meegat39
I've listened to Truth and Lies and felt it was a good audio with a good story. I liked the pairing of Vila with Del Grant too. However, I haven't worked out yet what the big reveal was supposed to be, but maybe I missed something? Could somebody enlighten me?
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Anniew
Meegat I can only think it was the reveal about Dayna's mum - that was the only surprise that I could discern .
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

BradPaula
Got the disc Monday and hope to listen tonight.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

meegat39
Anniew wrote:

Meegat I can only think it was the reveal about Dayna's mum - that was the only surprise that I could discern .

I guess that must be it then, but it's not really a big reveal Happy

Anniew
I agree. I was expecting a revelation about Grant. Still that was the only disappointment in an episode I thoroughly enjoyed.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

BradPaula
I loved this audio. The Vila-Grant scenes were a scream and hearing Mrs. Mellanby's back story was quite interesting. Of course a giggle to me was having Dayna as a main character in the latest 6 audios and all the while she is never actually there. Oh, they find her at the end but even then... well, I applaud Big Finish for inserting the character into the audio even if the actress who gave her life, declined the role again.

This second series of full cast audios has made me realize that if Big Finish were to only do the full cast audios, perhaps 6 per year, then I'd be a very happy fan. Don't get me wrong, I love the Liberator Chronicles and would love to hear the Scorpio Chronicles in the future, but the full cast stories do it for me. Big Finish can drop the novels too, if you want my sincere opinion on it.

The resolution of Del Grant on the Liberator was not addressed in Truth and Lies, which makes me wonder if 1. they'll just leave us hanging, or 2. if they have plans to do another full cast series eventually and resolve Grant. He has to leave- as it would upset canon eventually! I give Truth and Lies an 8 out of 10.

meegat39
I think that the Liberator Chronicles are excellent and should be continued, much as I enjoy the full cast audios. I also think they are easier to produce, as the actors get older only needing two and in some cases one to be available. For the record the stories I enjoy most always feature either Blake, Avon or Servalan.

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm starting on s2 of the full cast audios next month, and looking forward to them after some of the positive and intriguing comments posted...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
After "Devil's Advocate", which was excellent, "Truth & Lies" was a disappointing end-of-season. Run of the mill stuff, and no big ending to the season (which Cav Scott suggested there would be, at Big Finish Day 6).

There needed to be more twists and turns in Dayna's mother's story. It was pretty lightweight.

"Mindset" and "Devil's Advocate" are easily the best in this season of audios -the rest were a bit humdrum. The Libby Chronicles remains the more consistent range IMO.

meegat39
trevor travis wrote:

After "Devil's Advocate", which was excellent, "Truth & Lies" was a disappointing end-of-season. Run of the mill stuff, and no big ending to the season (which Cav Scott suggested there would be, at Big Finish Day 6).

There needed to be more twists and turns in Dayna's mother's story. It was pretty lightweight.

"Mindset" and "Devil's Advocate" are easily the best in this season of audios -the rest were a bit humdrum. The Libby Chronicles remains the more consistent range IMO.

I agree that Truth & Lies was a bit weak. Was Mindset the one about the living water? If so I loved it.

trevor travis
meegat39 wrote:

I agree that Truth & Lies was a bit weak. Was Mindset the one about the living water? If so I loved it.

Yes it was. The best of the season IMO, with plenty of the twists and turns which were missing from "Truth & Lies".

Although I really like the character of the President, so I liked "Devil's Advocate" too.

dragonq
Hugh Fraser is excellent. I would love him to continue as the President.

stoke_rob
trevor travis wrote:

I too felt a tad disappointed with "Truth & Lies" after a tremendous second season. I just hope that a major revelation was not removed because the range is coming to an end... still nothing from the BF camp regarding B7 which is VERY unusual given the amount of discussion going on over various internet forums. As someone who follows most of the BF output, Blake's 7 is among the very finest of their ranges - along with Jago & Litefoot and Dorian Gray - and I would hate for it to end just as it is really finding its feet.
Rob Cope

http://www.colinbakeronline.com
meegat39
trevor travis wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

Yes it was. The best of the season IMO, with plenty of the twists and turns which were missing from "Truth & Lies".

Although I really like the character of the President, so I liked "Devil's Advocate" too.

Ghost Ship was also very good, although it was a little similar to Fractures

meegat39
stoke_rob wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

I too felt a tad disappointed with "Truth & Lies" after a tremendous second season. I just hope that a major revelation was not removed because the range is coming to an end... still nothing from the BF camp regarding B7 which is VERY unusual given the amount of discussion going on over various internet forums. As someone who follows most of the BF output, Blake's 7 is among the very finest of their ranges - along with Jago & Litefoot and Dorian Gray - and I would hate for it to end just as it is really finding its feet.

Oh no! That could explain the lack of revelation, I hope not!

BradPaula
trevor travis wrote:

TT, I really liked Truth and Lies, especially the scenes with Grant and Vila. Although in my personal universe, Grant and Vila often argue, they seem to get along quite well in the Big Finish universe. I cannot remember if Cavan Scott promised a 'big reveal' for the end of the series, but meeting Dayna's Mum and hearing of her back story was good enough for me. Of course the main let down was actually finding Dayna, only to have her either in an environmental capsule, or in an induced coma during the entire story. Since they did not recast the role of Dayna, they had little option. But the second series of full cast audios to me were quite good and I did enjoy the majority of them quite a lot.

I just wondered at the end of the audio why they didn't resolve the question of Grant. As it ended, he was still a crew member of Liberator. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled they didn't kill the character off but he cannot stay as we have a set canon from the original series. What did bother me a bit was having no resolution- and call me a conspiracy theorist, but is Big Finish going to continue with the full cast range? Are they going to resolve the crew in order to go on with third series audio or even fourth series audios or are they just going to let it end? Not having a solid explanation from the company does bother me and I do wonder how it will eventually play out. But that is a subject out of our hands, so I'll just say that I thoroughly enjoyed the second series of full cast audios and hope for more of the same next year or whenever.

Spaceship Dispatcher
This was enjoyable enough, but I too felt it failed to match the standards set by previous episodes; the distinction between Goodies versus Baddies or Heroes and Villains was too clear-cut and, as trevor travis called it Run of the Mill, to be classic Blake's 7 material. In my comments on the previous episode, I said there was a character niggle about 2.5 and 2.6 of the full cast that nobody else has mentioned yet: in both episodes, Tom Chadbon has stopped playing Del Grant and started to be written as 'Duggan in space' a lot of the time; this applies not only to his own lines but also how other characters describe him with Del being picked out as the stupid or violent one in a way that matches Duggan rather than Grant. That the writers mind was on City of Death and not Blake's 7 when he wrote this is suggested by the even more obvious spoof of a specific scene in the former; the crew all ask for glasses of water as refreshment and Avon asks for his to be made a double, a clear parody of Tom Baker's 'three glasses of water, and make them doubles' line. Apart from minor issues though, I have mostly enjoyed this second series and would listen to them again of we do a Horizon relisten.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

BradPaula
Gosh, SD- you have hit the nail on the head. They are writing for Duggan, not Grant. The thing which bothers me is they have the talents of Mr. Chadbon, why not use them to the fullest? But often he gets sidelined in favor of the other characters, which is understandable. I was wondering if because Grant is a favorite character of Cavan Scott- it was mentioned in the book Maximum Fan-Power- that they are keeping the character in longer than necessary only because he's a favorite of Cav's and others? I won't complain, but I also think if you are to use Grant, then use him and not make him a secondary character. I harken back to LC#9 and I think the best use of the character of Grant, even more than in Armageddon Storm. That's the Grant I know, not punchy Duggan, and as much as I love Duggan, he does not belong in B7. So- great catch and good point!

trevor travis
Interesting point.

I'm undecided, to be honest. Grant is only in one televised story, so we don't know much about the chap. He's an open book. Who's to say what's in character and what's out of it?

As terrific as Tom Chadbon is as an actor and I may incur the wrath of Paula here, but I feel BF has used Grant enough now, because it's the regulars who should be taking centre stage (with other characters only appearing as one-off guest appearances). Grant only needs to be in one further story, in which he is either killed off or departs, with something happening to put Avon in a suitably bad mood for "Terminal"...

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.49 seconds
9,167,554 unique visits since 8th January 2014