Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,308
· Newest Rebel: Rachel_4_Avon

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [46 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [30 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [35 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [27 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 209
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
what tunes are you listening to?
Cygnus Bazza
One Spare Part wrote:

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink. Seminal British (Canterbury) prog - 50 years old this year! Now I sound like sweevo! Smile

Got that album, just started listening to them after seeing them pop up on prog rock docs here and there. I also like Egg...

'A Visit to Newport Hospital' is one of my all-time favourite song titles. (Double-you-tee-eff and all that.) Some absolutely cracking keyboard sounds on that one!! Egg were bonkers but brilliant, with a wonderful, Satie-esque knack of coming up with an offbeat title.

dragonq
There must be something about Blake’s 7 and Genesis, as I’m another old Genesis tragic. Currently waiting for my signed copy of Steve Hackett’s new album to arrive—and yes, I have also pre-ordered the ABBA album!

Cygnus Bazza
dragonq wrote:

There must be something about Blake’s 7 and Genesis, as I’m another old Genesis tragic. Currently waiting for my signed copy of Steve Hackett’s new album to arrive—and yes, I have also pre-ordered the ABBA album!

Exemplary commitment to proper music!

I've always thought that B7 has quite a proggy feel. That's quite apart from the fact that there's even an episode called 'Animals'. Plus there's 'The Web', sharing that title with a track which later popped up on the first Marillion album - and Marillion, of course, also had a hit with 'Assassing' which is only one letter out! And there's 'Horizon' too (Jon & Vangelis). Any more? Shame there's not an episode called 'Selling Avon by the Pound'... Joking apart, I genuinely think Phil C would have made a great Vila - his experience playing the Artful Dodger as a child actor would have stood him in great stead.

sweevo
The Genesis song "The Knife" sounds like it would be a perfect fit for Blake's crusade. https://www.youtu...719eZmXRdE

One Spare Part
dragonq wrote:

I have just got a Hackett signed copy of Seconds Out from the tour! We are sad, we are sad, we-ee ar-re saaaaaaad! Grin
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

sweevo
Speaking of Genesis, I'm checking out Mike Rutherford's Smallcreep's Day solo album to celebrate his birthday. Smile
Edited by sweevo on 02 October 2021 19:20:01

One Spare Part
sweevo wrote:

Speaking of Genesis, I'm checking out Mike Rutherford's (Smallcreep's Day solo album to celebrate his birthday. Smile

He hates that album, apparently but he has always been hypercritical of his own work. I love Smallcreep's Day. Have you read the book?

sweevo
Yes, I have. Smile

Cygnus Bazza
For the first time in quite a long time, A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell. Very decent albums actually and arguably both sound more Pink Floyd-y than 75% of The Wall and 95% of The Final Cut. 'Sorrow' is a blistering track and 'High Hopes' has never failed to leave me with a 'watering eye'.

sweevo
Freddie Mercury & Montserrat Caballé's collaborative effort, Barcelona - specifically, the orchestral "director's cut" from 2012 - to mark its 33rd anniversary. Smile You can listen to it here as a purely instrumental orchestra (no vocals): https://www.youtu...jWMfIzH9Cg
Edited by sweevo on 10 October 2021 23:59:12

sweevo
Paul Simon's solo work to celebrate his 80th birthday. Personal favourites include "You Can Call Me Al" (with a video featuring Chevy Chase), "Graceland", "The Late Great Johnny Ace" (with an instrumental coda by Philip Glass), "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" and "Late in the Evening".

Travisina
sweevo wrote:

Paul Simon's solo work to celebrate his 80th birthday. Personal favourites include "You Can Call Me Al" (with a video featuring Chevy Chase), "Graceland", "The Late Great Johnny Ace" (with an instrumental coda by Philip Glass), "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" and "Late in the Evening".

All great songs (can't believe he's 80!!) - but I loved Simon best when he was together with Garfunkel. Such lovely voices and fab harmonies.
My views are my own.

VILA: I'm entitled to my opinion.
AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7

Lee Bagnall
Sade - Never thought I'd see the Day

Would make a good Blake-s 7 music video, as the lyrics (below) fit either Cally/Avon or Anna/Avon. I'll leave it to you to decide the better fit.

You shed a shadow on my life
Shed a shadow on a love
Took the shelter out of my life
Took the shelter of a lie

I could see it in your restless eyes
The truth I was hiding
The truth you could not disguise

But I never thought I'd see the day
I knew I'd need a miracle to make you stay
I knew
I needed
A miracle
And I never thought I'd see the day

You put a shadow on a love
Took a shelter of a lie T
ook the shelter out of my life

I wish you could shelter me
Shelter me now
I need a miracle
And I never thought I'd see the day

"Seldon, Janov. Space Commander. Alpha 14922. Name, rank and serial number. That's all you're getting!"

Spaceship Dispatcher
Just started setting up a Paloma Faith playlist on my download/streaming account

Cygnus Bazza
Back on the classic rock etc today. Have lined up a couple of excellent Camel albums (starting with the peerless Moonmadness) plus Bob Dylan's masterly Bringing It All Back Home album (which may well demand a double spin if time permits).

Cygnus Bazza
If any of you are into all that 'Ranking the Albums' kind of thing on YouTube, I'd highly recommend Listography - three guys from the US who do a great job reviewing and rating all kinds of stuff from the 60s and 70s up to newer material. Two weeks ago they did some excellent shows on the mighty Yes. This week they're addressing Coldplay - not always in a complimentary fashion!

If you're a fan of hard rock, prog or metal, I'd also recommend Sea of Tranquillity (also US-based) which generates a lot of great content.

sweevo
Genesis's "Last Domino" tour. Interesting choice of setlist - thank goodness they ended with "The Carpet Crawlers", though - to me, that is the definitive Genesis song which represents the band musically and lyrically. Smile

One Spare Part
sweevo wrote:

Genesis's "Last Domino" tour. Interesting choice of setlist - thank goodness they ended with "The Carpet Crawlers", though - to me, that is the definitive Genesis song which represents the band musically and lyrically. Smile

What do you think of Phil's voice?

sweevo
Inconsistent. It works on some songs (No Son of Mine, Afterglow, Fading Lights, The Carpet Crawlers) but for the more intense numbers like Mama, Land of Confusion, Turn It On Again, the second half of the Domino suite and the first half of the Home By the Sea suite just lack the power and energy those compositions need. It's not Phil's fault, he does the best with what he has. The setlist itself is strange, featuring a weird mix of the familiar and barely-played-live, albeit restricted to a very tight chronology (mostly from 1980 to 1991).

Deva
Eased into the day with Goldfrapp's Tales of Us and now reliving my youth with Suede's eponymous debut. I can still remember how exciting they were when they burst onto the BritPop scene... heady days...
"Time really is getting short, you know..."

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.80 seconds
36,674,497 unique visits since 8th January 2014