Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 2

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 919
· Newest Rebel: Ritter_der_Tiefe

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
15% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 96
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Deliverance - where is everyone?
briggsy1
It's almost as if bits of the script had to be cut out of the final episode we see on screen, in order to reach the desired episode length of 50 minutes.

JustBrad
briggsy1 wrote:

It's almost as if bits of the script had to be cut out of the final episode we see on screen, in order to reach the desired episode length of 50 minutes.

Or under budget.

trevor travis
briggsy1 wrote:

That would be highly unusual with a Terry Nation script - which tended to be too short rather than too long. His strength was the ideas & plotting, he left it up to others to expand the episode out to length with additional dialogue, etc.

TN took on a massive workload with B7 by writing all 13 scripts for Season A (he did so, after his fraught experiences with "Survivors", where he felt he lost control of the series), and by the final half of the season, was submitting under-length first drafts, simply so he could get on with the next episode. Duel, Breakdown and Bounty were all examples. Duel, in particular, contains lots of film quotes, which are the forte of Boucher, not Nation, suggesting Boucher provided much of the dialogue. Although it's very much a Nation plot, rather than a Boucher one; arguably "Duel" has the best of both worlds because of this.

It would be fairly surprising if Deliverance was submitted too long.

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:Or under budget.

Much more likely and the practical answer to the lack of the rest of the 100 people.

Although, I still like going along with what we see on screen - e.g. a lonely, deluded Meegat going on about another 100 people who just aren't there Wink

Lurena
Please take another look at the transcript: Meegat is making difference in and comparing the number of the scavenger people with her own people.
She knows about the scavengers, where they live, and she offers to show how to get to their camp.
We get to see those scavengers because of their action in the script.
Meegat's people don't have any action, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, does it?

Meegat is pretty well based on the ancient Greek Oracle priestesses, including her costume.
Her mission is such that only she is allowed to enter the place where prophecy occurs.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Spaceship Dispatcher
Lurena wrote:

Her mission is such that only she is allowed to enter the place where prophecy occurs.

Yes, but only according to Meegat who is obviously losing the plot by the time we meet her. Just because she knows where the scavengers live does not prove she's a reliable source of information about an advanced rocket programme.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

peladon
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Lurena wrote:

Yes, but only according to Meegat who is obviously losing the plot by the time we meet her. Just because she knows where the scavengers live does not prove she's a reliable source of information about an advanced rocket programme.

Losing the plot? I see no evidence for that. She is fufilling her role within the limitations of her understanding of it. She recognises Avon as one of the mythical people described by the teaching she has absorbed and accords him the status those legends state is his due. Seems rational enough given the scope of her understanding and function.

trevor travis
Just been taking another look through the transcript and I've found this line from Vila:

VILA: Been alone too long, definitely.

It would seem Vila doesn't believe about the "100 others" anymore than I do!

Spaceship Dispatcher
peladon wrote:

Losing the plot? I see no evidence for that. She is fufilling her role within the limitations of her understanding of it. She recognises Avon as one of the mythical people described by the teaching she has absorbed and accords him the status those legends state is his due. Seems rational enough given the scope of her understanding and function.

We'll have to agree to differ on your definition of 'rational' behaviour.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

trevor travis

peladon wrote:

Well unless throwing yourself at the feet of someone else counts as rational. In which case, what a rational and normal person Egrorian is!! Grin

peladon

peladon wrote:

'PerhapsSmile

But as you haven't offered any evidence of her irrationality.....

peladon
trevor travis wrote:

Well unless throwing yourself at the feet of someone else counts as rational. In which case, what a rational and normal person Egrorian is!! Grin

In her position, and given the nature of the purpose she serves, it's quite rational. She believes he is the long awaited bringer of her race's deliverance, it may have been part of her training that one of the first duties of the acolyte who is fortunate enough to meet the 'Lord' is to show respect and deference by throwing herself at that person's feet. Its similar to several human societies reactions to persons of elevated status. The fact that we know who Avon is doesn't change the dynamic when viewed from her side.

peladon
trevor travis wrote:

Just been taking another look through the transcript and I've found this line from Vila:

VILA: Been alone too long, definitely.

It would seem Vila doesn't believe about the "100 others" anymore than I do!

Ah but then its Avon that she s calling 'Lord', I bet it wuld have been different if it had been him.Smile

President Solvite
trevor travis wrote:

JustBrad wrote:Or under budget.

Much more likely and the practical answer to the lack of the rest of the 100 people.

Although, I still like going along with what we see on screen - e.g. a lonely, deluded Meegat going on about another 100 people who just aren't there Wink

It is my opinion that there were others in bunkers scattered across the planet. The other bunkers would have provided power for the main launch silo, and provided food and supplies for the other occupants.

Maybe there were 90 or maybe there were 110.. I find it unlikely that Meegat was the sole occupant of that complex (and outlying bunkers)

I tend to slip a few more extras (non speaking of course!) in my 'fanon' of B7 Pfft

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
JustBrad
President Solvite wrote:

It is my opinion that there were others in bunkers scattered across the planet. The other bunkers would have provided power for the main launch silo, and provided food and supplies for the other occupants.

Maybe there were 90 or maybe there were 110.. I find it unlikely that Meegat was the sole occupant of that complex (and outlying bunkers)

I tend to slip a few more extras (non speaking of course!) in my 'fanon' of B7 Pfft

This is the sort of thing a script editor is supposed to fix.

Producer: The hundred extras got cut. We couldn't afford them.
Script Editor: I'll add a line that they're all out to the lunch bunker.

BradPaula
I always got the impression that there were a small number of inhabitants with Meegat and that the outsiders were savages and not able to get into the complex. It just so happened Meegat was on duty at the time Avon and co. appear. In the end, it may be a moot point as it is pointed out that there is high radiation on the planet and all were destined to die from that malady eventually.

Of course, her behavior towards Avon was to be expected, waiting so long for a so-called savior of their race, or racebanks. And since her own civilization has collapsed, she would view someone of a high technical nature, or magic to her, to be superior and she'd act accordingly, however way we or Avon felt about it. He seemed uncomfortable about his status as a minor deity and so, I think did many of us.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

President Solvite
JustBrad wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

This is the sort of thing a script editor is supposed to fix.

Producer: The hundred extras got cut. We couldn't afford them.
Script Editor: I'll add a line that they're all out to the lunch bunker.

Chris Boucher in various interviews did say he had some great scenes cut in some episodes. Maybe this is one such example. Grin

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

Of course, her behavior towards Avon was to be expected, waiting so long...

We're all waiting for the day you finally meet Tom... Grin

JustBrad

BradPaula wrote:

Of course, her behavior towards Avon was to be expected, waiting so long...

We're all waiting for the day you finally meet Tom... Grin

i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/BradPaula/smileys/e28224.gif

Spaceship Dispatcher

LOL Grin

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.48 seconds
9,506,101 unique visits since 8th January 2014