Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Deliverance - where is everyone?
Lurena
I'm sorry I can't join the rewatches at the moment, typing one word takes ages, but I have re-watched this ep on my own and enjoyed it very much! (and that is not just on behalf of a certain computer expert)
Talking of Kerr Avon, he is not a b****** by leaving Meegat behind. She has to guide those 100 of her people, she said there were left, which will be important and logic in Avon's opinion.
You can argue that he would consider her to be in his way to escape from the life he is forced to live, a self-interested move. But I am inclined to think his action was not at all self-interested and that he was genuinely hurt by the joking of his crewmates and regretted the loss of her company.
Of course I do respect other opinions.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
trevor travis
Lurena wrote:

I'm sorry I can't join the rewatches at the moment, typing one word takes ages, but I have re-watched this ep on my own and enjoyed it very much! (and that is not just on behalf of a certain computer expert)
Talking of Kerr Avon, he is not a b****** by leaving Meegat behind. She has to guide those 100 of her people, she said there were left, which will be important and logic in Avon's opinion.
You can argue that he would consider her to be in his way to escape from the life he is forced to live, a self-interested move. But I am inclined to think his action was not at all self-interested and that he was genuinely hurt by the joking of his crewmates and regretted the loss of her company.
Of course I do respect other opinions.

Lurena,

My opinion is that the other 100 people left on the rocket... as we see no sign of anyone else left behind.

And in any case, the future of Meegat's people is on that rocket... the rocket she wasn't on (probably because it's her job to oversee its safe departure). She's therefore done her job and is free, but then Avon leaves her on the planet with less-than-hospitable savages.

peladon
trevor travis wrote:

Lurena,

My opinion is that the other 100 people left on the rocket... as we see no sign of anyone else left behind.

And in any case, the future of Meegat's people is on that rocket... the rocket she wasn't on (probably because it's her job to oversee its safe departure). She's therefore done her job and is free, but then Avon leaves her on the planet with less-than-hospitable savages.

Doesnt work, because they couldnt have lived on the rocket for the x decades/centuries since they forgot its purpose, they wouldnt have had time to get on board or had the courage to do so, they would die on it because of its flight time, we are told oblquely that it contains genetic material and 'brood' units.

Why would Avon take her away from what she knows? Why would she want to go?

Lurena
trevor travis wrote:

Lurena,

Travor Travis, those people didn't leave on the rocket, take a look at the transcript:
MEEGAT So Kashell sought a way to preserve our race. A way for it to survive in a new place among the stars. And the way was found.
VILA That ship couldn't carry enough people to establish a new community.
AVON It could carry dormant cells.
GAN Genetic banks and brood units. Like those in the projectile we took on board the Liberator?
AVON The same principle, yes. These seem to be a little more advanced, though.
VILA But did they do it?
AVON "And the way was found." Does it go on?
MEEGAT Deliverance was prepared. And Kashell the Wise was satisfied that it was good.
GAN If there are cells on that ship, would they still be viable? I mean, could they be incubated into a new race of men after all these years?
AVON Theoretically the fertility span would be unlimited. The brood units would be programmed to activate on landing. If they set it up right, there's no reason why it shouldn't still work.
ZEN It is calculated that the rocket will make planet-fall in the system Magdalen Alpha.
AVON How many suitable planets are there in that system?
ZEN There are four with compatible biospheres.
AVON Flight time?
ZEN Five hundred earth years.
VILA You won't be a legend in your own lifetime, then.
GAN Fertility cells wouldn't know about us, anyway.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Discussion copied from Tuesday's rewatch thread...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Hugbot
trevor travis wrote:

as we see no sign of anyone else left behind.

Of course not! The BBC couldn't have possibly afforded two rent-a-tribes, could they?

But seriously, there are only gametes aboard the rocket. It is basically Time Squad, peaceful version.
Meegat remains with her people where she can now enjoy the life of a retired High Priestess. There must be some privileges for someone in her position!
Taking her aboard Liberator would be the worst thing you could do to her. For someone who doesn't even now what a light switch is, the culture shock would be devastating. Besides, life expactancy is fairly short among our merry band of rebels ...

Travisina
Hugbot wrote:

Taking her aboard Liberator would be the worst thing you could do to her. For someone who doesn't even now what a light switch is, the culture shock would be devastating. Besides, life expactancy is fairly short among our merry band of rebels ...

It could make for an interesting scenario. Avon might grow weary of her incessant worshipping, coupled with her technical ignorance. Rejected by Avon, she then finds solace with Gan, who is a simpler soul and seems to have a thing for high priestesses... Wink
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

trevor travis
I see what you mean about the script. So it's only the cells onboard the ship.

So is Meegat therefore lying about the "100 people"? Because there is no-one else there. Is she actually the very final survivor?

meegat39
trevor travis wrote:

I see what you mean about the script. So it's only the cells onboard the ship.

So is Meegat therefore lying about the "100 people"? Because there is no-one else there. Is she actually the very final survivor?

Could be. Her pride might have prevented her from admitting she was the last, along with not wanting them to feel sorry for her...
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

trevor travis
I was thinking along the same lines.

The way she reacts to Avon is not someone who is used to seeing other people on a daily basis.

Meegat actually comes from a highly technological race. The rocket and cells are proof of that. However, that was a while ago. By the time, Meegat was born, they have been living as little more than savages, not that far removed from the local Rent-A-Tribe outside. And they’ve all died out apart from her – she is the last. Before the last of the others died, they told Meegat never to admit she is the last, because they could be take advantage of.

Having said that, surely Avon, Jenna, Vila and Gan would have noticed the total lack of other people. In which case, there’s still the curious question of why Meegat is left behind, with only a few hairy primitives for company.

JustBrad
Simply put, the budget didn't run to a hundred extras. Meegat isn't lying, David Maloney just couldn't afford to hire them or show them. Given his penchant for scaling things down even at a script level, I'm surprised the '100 people' line didn't get cut or altered to say, five, either by him or the script editor.
Edited by JustBrad on 04 December 2014 16:51:58

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

Simply put, the budget didn't run to a hundred extras. Meegat isn't lying, David Maloney just couldn't afford to hire them or show them. Given his penchant for scaling things down even at a script level, I'm surprised the '100 people' line didn't get cut or altered to say, five, either by him or the script editor.

Brad, that's perhaps the practical answer, but I'm not sure if it's the one that fits what we see on screen, which is poor, lonely, people-deprived Meegat flinging herself at the feet of her 'Lord Avon'.

Lurena
Thank you for creating this new Discussion thread SD!

Meegat is not lying, look at her words in the transript:
AVON How many of your people are there?
MEEGAT Less than a hundred now. Our numbers grow smaller. More die.
AVON And the scavengers?
MEEGAT Perhaps twice as many, but they too are dying.
Have you ever thought of what war caused those people dying?
A nuclear war? A biological war?

I think Meegat's people lived away from the launch station, just to protect it's secrecy.
Most certainly the scavengers are the descendants of Meegat's people's enemy.
transcript:
AVON Meegat.
MEEGAT Lord?
AVON Make sure that it is us before you open the door. The scavengers know about it now.
side note: I love the co-operation Vila-Avon-Gan in the launch control room.
It is very nice to see Avon and Vila explore and recognise the instrumentation.

Panna
Captain Kirk often left women behind. Maybe Avon didn't want Meegat to get killed, which he might have thought likely with Blake still on Liberator. Smile
"You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? "Hey, man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

Hugbot
Panna wrote:

Captain Kirk often left women behind.

If he had taken aboard every woman with whom he had flirted, Enterprise would be rather overcrowded. Pfft

Hugbot
Watching Survivors for the first time, I wondered why they did not dare to leave the van just because of the half a dozen well-behaved pet dogs that surrounded the vehicle.
Much later I learned that the half a dozen well-behaved pet dogs were meant to be a large pack of fierce wild dogs. Problem was, the budget only allowed for half a dozen well-behaved pet dogs.

Same here.

And of course the 100 ordinary members of Meegat's tribe are not allowed to frequent the Holy Rooms of the Ancient.

meegat39
Lurena wrote:

Thank you for creating this new Discussion thread SD!

Meegat is not lying, look at her words in the transript:
AVON And the scavengers?
Have you ever thought of what war caused those people dying?
A nuclear war? A biological war?

I think Meegat's people lived away from the launch station, just to protect it's secrecy.
Most certainly the scavengers are the descendants of Meegat's people's enemy.
transcript:
AVON Meegat.
MEEGAT Lord?
AVON Make sure that it is us before you open the door. The scavengers know about it now.
side note: I love the co-operation Vila-Avon-Gan in the launch control room.
It is very nice to see Avon and Vila explore and recognise the instrumentation.

For certain they are probably dying from high radiation levels. Perhaps Meegat was shielded in her underground rooms? However we can only speculate as to what caused the high radiation levels. More than likely it was some type of detonation(s) though.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm not convinced about these 'other people' that Meegat refers to; she doesn't contact anyone to say the rocket will launch, and nobody comes hammering on the door shouting "Hey, who's in there? Who launched that ****** rocket?!" which one would expect if getting it off the ground was the object of this society's existence. Never mind the hundred other people, is anything said by Meegat corroborated by any other source? Should we believe any of it? This is my alternate theory.

The rocket was actually an Inter-Planetary Missile left over from a war against the neighbouring planet PRK$DV-14 that has been at peace for decades; the peace has been maintained despite a random crazy woman with delusional fantasies breaking into the abandoned missile launch centre because, fortunately for the innocent and happy inhabitants of PRK$DV-14, she doesn't know how to switch any of the equipment on. Then, one day...

Oops
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 06 December 2014 09:25:02
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Lurena wrote:Meegat is not lying, look at her words in the transript:
AVON And the scavengers?

But words enough are not alone, in B7 there are plenty of instances where what characters say is not the truth.

Meegat's words have no collaboration from what we see. Avon launches a great, big, honking, massive rocket, at which point surely Meegat's people would come into the room, throwing themselves at the feet of the Lord from the stars who has secured the destiny of their people. No-one appears. No-one else appears to be there.

I see it like this: Meegat is a lonely woman, at the point of insanity. She may believe there are 100 people left. In reality, she's the last survivor. Avon realises life on the Liberator would be impossible for her, so he leaves her to her fantasies.

peladon
trevor travis wrote:

Lurena wrote:Meegat is not lying, look at her words in the transript:
AVON And the scavengers?

But words enough are not alone, in B7 there are plenty of instances where what characters say is not the truth.

Meegat's words have no collaboration from what we see. Avon launches a great, big, honking, massive rocket, at which point surely Meegat's people would come into the room, throwing themselves at the feet of the Lord from the stars who has secured the destiny of their people. No-one appears. No-one else appears to be there.

I see it like this: Meegat is a lonely woman, at the point of insanity. She may believe there are 100 people left. In reality, she's the last survivor. Avon realises life on the Liberator would be impossible for her, so he leaves her to her fantasies.

There is no reason given in canon to doubt her word, therefore we must assume that it pretty close to truth. Had it not been some evidence to indicate that would be provided - where characters lie we know it because it is shown to us one way or another. The set up she describes is quite consistent and if the rocket had passed into a mythical/religious status you probably wouldn’t expect to see anything other than what we do see. A single acolyte tending an artefact she doesn’t understand. Ritual and myth is one technique used to keep alive/safe information/knowledge that is no longer understood, or that has never been understood for that matter. The fact that we don’t see her people is not strange; I would expect that only the initiated would be allowed within the 'temple' and if only a hundred of them remain there probably wouldn’t be many of those. Meegat just happens to be the one on vigil when they arrive.

We have no information as to whether she communicates with her people whilst Avon et al are there, just that we don’t see her do it. But then we don’t see Jenna captured either, we just know that she was a prisoner in the hut.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.76 seconds
9,494,511 unique visits since 8th January 2014