Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
The Prisoner
rojkerr1
I love the Prisoner, and Dance of the dead my fave ep too! Most surrreal and nightmareish, even tho it was nearly shelved as mcgoohan didn't like the original cut. Think Mr Rakoff made a few suggestions, according to his book? I got a lovely item recently, one of the original cards given to cast and crew for xmas, the one with the eye design... I go to Portmeirion every time I'm in Wales, lovely place!

Ellen York
GC, you do realize that now I have to watch The Prisoner so I can follow along with you and Michelle Grin
It actually was on my "to watch someday" list, but you have bumped it up to the top.

trevor travis
GC, "Free For All" has some good and bad points for me.

I quite like its take on politics, showing democracy is little more than an illusion.

But as usual with a McGoohan script, it's very porrly written in places, it feels like a first draft with no attempt to turn it into a coherent script.

Maybe I should do my own little rewatch rather than depending on my memory of the last time I watched the Prisoner (approximately 2010 I think).

I did give each episode a mark of ten. So far:
Arrival 9
Free For All 7

Gauda Cheese
Ellen York wrote:

GC, you do realize that now I have to watch The Prisoner so I can follow along with you and Michelle Grin
It actually was on my "to watch someday" list, but you have bumped it up to the top.

Thank you! We're doing one a week.

trevor travis wrote:

GC, "Free For All" has some good and bad points for me.

I quite like its take on politics, showing democracy is little more than an illusion.

But as usual with a McGoohan script, it's very porrly written in places, it feels like a first draft with no attempt to turn it into a coherent script.

Maybe I should do my own little rewatch rather than depending on my memory of the last time I watched the Prisoner (approximately 2010 I think).

I did give each episode a mark of ten. So far:
Arrival 9
Free For All 7

Go for it! I love Free For All. But man is it weird for the early episodes.

I had no clue about the tyrant that was Patrick McGoohan until after I'd seen the show. The "Don't Knock Yourself Out" doco was great in this way. I can't think of any people who had this much creative control over their baby in 60's TV.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Grade Four Ignorant
I find with stories written by McGoohan, especially Free for All, that he has a tendency to expect people to know what's going on in his head with little information on screen. I'm still confused as to whether the brainwashing worked on Number Six towards the end of the episode or if he was just playing along with Number Two in order to further his own agenda of shutting down the Village.

Saying that, McGoohan actually maintains a fairly decent character development arc for Number Six. Early episodes like Dance of the Dead, Free for All and Checkmate see him naively attempt to escape the Village by conventional means before things come to a head in The Chimes of Big Ben and he realises that escape is impossible. Around this time, the Village authorities step up their campaign to extract information from him - going from simple techniques as trickery and coercion to the use of torture and psychotropic drugs. They no longer care, as they originally wanted, about bringing him around and giving information over willingly and mentally intact, but instead strive - as indicated in The Schizoid Man and A Change of Mind - to drive him completely insane. After Many Happy Returns, Number Six steps up his game and devotes his efforts to bringing down the Village from within, scoring his first major victory when he himself drives Number Two insane in Hammer into Anvil. By the time Once Upon a Time comes around, Six is on the verge of a breakdown - we see him pacing nervously around his apartment, acting anti-social and confrontational to his fellow prisoners and behaving in an increasingly eccentric and unstable manner.

Gauda Cheese
http://www.theunm...briggs.htm

Interview with Briggs about the Prisoner audios.

I was already sold now I'm... double sold? Oops

In the immortal words of Fry "Shut up and take my money"

trevor travis
Still in two minds about the BF audios - I'm finding it hard to imagine anyone other than McGoohan as No 6. It's like recasting Avon Shock

Gauda Cheese
From Big Finish

With pre-production on Big Finish’s audio drama re-imagining of the The Prisoner continuing apace, we can now reveal the story line-up for the first box set...

Fans of the classic, 1967 TV series The Prisoner (in which a secret agent resigns and finds himself imprisoned in the bizarre ‘Village’) will notice something old and something new in the first four episodes.

‘The first story, Departure and Arrival gives a tiny bit more of a tantalizing glimpse into Number Six’s backstory,’ explains writer/director Nick Briggs. ‘But really only the tiniest of glimpses. Like the original series, this version of the The Prisoner is still very much crammed with mystery and misdirection.’

Two of the remaining three stories have titles that will be familiar to many. ‘The Schizoid Man and The Chimes of Big Ben are adaptations of the original TV episodes with those titles,’ continues Nick. ‘They are faithful to the themes of the originals, but they contain new twists and turns… and they fit into a new narrative arc that will, to varying degrees, flow through all the stories.’

The third story, Your Beautiful Village is an entirely new episode by Briggs. ‘The themes of this one are sense deprivation and the destruction of a personality. It’s an early, forceful challenge from the Village’s regime. An attempt to eliminate Number Six’s resistance completely… and it has very serious consequences for him.’

Not sure how I feel yet, but I'll be getting these.

Spaceresearcher
Just letting fans who may not have heard the new audio series that an extract is available for free from Big Finish.

Just select 'Ranges', then 'Big Finish For Free!' and it's third on the list.

Enjoy.

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'll be interested to hear the views of those that do take the plunge with this show, as I'm not getting them myself.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

JustBrad
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Just letting fans who may not have heard the new audio series that an extract is available for free from Big Finish.

Enjoy.

While I wasn't a fan of the original series, beyond the first few episodes, I am sorely tempted to give this a try, just to see how Nick Briggs imagines it.

Spaceresearcher
JustBrad wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

Enjoy.

While I wasn't a fan of the original series, beyond the first few episodes, I am sorely tempted to give this a try, just to see how Nick Briggs imagines it.

My only gripe is of course that there's no Patrick McGoohan. It's a series that get's better as you keep watching it. Or in this case listening to it.

BradPaula
I think we'll have to put this series on our 'to buy' list as we are fans and quite fond of Nicholas Briggs, who wrote and directed the series.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

timdalton007
I'm a big fan of the original TV series and was overjoyed when it was announced that Big Finish were finally going to do audios. I became very skeptical about the idea of a re-imagining (and not because of the 2009 version which I'm apparently one of the few fans of) but came around to the idea enough to pre-order the download version. The clip released back around Christmas put my fears to rest and having heard the set the other week, I was hugely impressed with it. I'll have to post a fuller review at some point but for now I'll say this: if you're a fan of the original series or Big Finish's work in general, then I highly recommend it.

timdalton007

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.56 seconds
9,171,613 unique visits since 8th January 2014