Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
The Making of B7 (book)
GoldChannel
hi gang!

back when I first joined this wonderful madhouse of Horizon I remember looking out for old books about the programmne, and there were/are a few but a couple of the older ones were a bit too pricey on ebay etc.

Well today for some reason, on a whim, despite not really having been thinking about B7 for a brief spell, I had a look... and was surprised and delighted to find many copies of the Adrian Riglesford 'Making of' book for 0.01 on Amazon Smile

I've ordered it, needless to say... and although i was never that big a fan of Mr Riglesford's Dr Who books, i'm sure this will be a treasure trove of info. All i really know about the behind the scenes on B7 is what i've seen in the online docos that were shared here (the ones intended to be on the DVDs)

What's the general verdict on the book, so i can either stoke the anticipation, or steel myself for disappointment *lol

Spaceship Dispatcher
GoldChannel wrote:

...and although i was never that big a fan of Mr Riglesford's Dr Who books...

There are certainly a few rumours about them.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

GoldChannel
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

oh yes indeedy *lol

I'm assuming no such dark mutterings are, um, muttered in connection with the B7 book?

BradPaula
The only 'caveat' about Mr. Riglesford's book is that many fans complained about the pages falling out of the thing. Not his fault mind you, but the publisher's- but be forewarned- at the time of its original debut, I remember many Forum members saying the book fell apart.

If you haven't got it already, I would strongly recommend "Blake's 7: The Inside Story" by Joe Nazzaro and Sheelagh Wells, and not because I get a credit for a photo in it either. It's a well thought out book with lots of inside stories of the making of the series. Not to be missed.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

GoldChannel
hmm, i'm guessing maybe my copy is so cheap because perhaps some of the pages are in that condition? we will see!!

I really want the 'Inside Story' book but that's another one that would have to be a bit of a 'treat-yerself' luxury... sure i'll get it one day though....

Joe Dredd
GoldChannel wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

oh yes indeedy *lol

I'm assuming no such dark mutterings are, um, muttered in connection with the B7 book?

I haven't heard anything particular about the B7 book, but given that his research in other areas was called into question, and proved false (Guardian article), along with other questionable behaviour (BBC link) it casts suspicion over anything he has written. There are some interesting photos however and you can't go too wrong with episode summaries. Overall, it's still worth adding to your collection but, yes, grip the spine tightly when reading it!

briggsy1
Adrian Rigelsford's book is actually quite a good read i've always thought, chocked full of photos - some of them quite rare - along with a detailed analysis of the making of each episode of B7. It feels like a labour of love from the author who's clearly done his homework rather than an trashy cash in. The downside is definitely the binding of the book though: it just falls to pieces after a short while as others have alluded to.

rojkerr1
Gareth Thomas hated this book, he said the guy never bothered to interview him or anyone else as far as he knew! Think he refused to sign one fans copy...

Spaceship Dispatcher
rojkerr1 wrote:

Gareth Thomas... said the guy never bothered to interview him or anyone else as far as he knew!

Which pretty much supports other reports about his 'reference' books.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

GoldChannel
hmm,, bit of 'game of two-halves' so far...!

well, looking forward to finding out for myself very soon.....

GoldChannel
It arrived in the post today.

I started reading it and i'm getting an 'it's okay' kind of vibe so far. Terry Nation's foreword is interesting, and the chapter on getting the series up and running is good, but... it's not detailed enough. I'm learning things I never knew, don't get me wrong, but it's frustrating coming from (say) Andrew Pixley's work on Dr Who to read about things like the cast being contracted for 2 years' worth of work without it being backed up by references. It's kind of like an interesting elongated magazine article than a history book... if you see what I mean!

But I've leafed through it and plenty of good pics. The pages are holding together... so far *lol

GoldChannel
finished it Smile

I did enjoy it... a nice overview of the production of the four seasons, little dry in parts but overall well written.

As I noted above though, one failing of the book is it just doesn't provide enough details... an example, it mentions four scripts that never got into production.. but doesn't tell us anything about hat they were about! (does anyone know, by the way? One, 'Iron man' was written by Paul Darrow...!)

However, for what it is, it's not bad, and I feel a little more knowledgible now. Next step, something meatier... 'Liberation', perhaps?

meegat39
GoldChannel wrote:

finished it Smile

I did enjoy it... a nice overview of the production of the four seasons, little dry in parts but overall well written.

As I noted above though, one failing of the book is it just doesn't provide enough details... an example, it mentions four scripts that never got into production.. but doesn't tell us anything about hat they were about! (does anyone know, by the way? One, 'Iron man' was written by Paul Darrow...!)

However, for what it is, it's not bad, and I feel a little more knowledgible now. Next step, something meatier... 'Liberation', perhaps?

I don't know much about it , but the Paul Darrow script was called "Man of Iron" I believe not Iron Man. I think Vila was meant to have a a starring role in it, but I know little else...
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Joe Dredd
I'm sure I saw the "Man of Iron" script on line sometime in the last week or so, but now I can't find it! Probably just as well as I think Horizon sell copies of it.

President Solvite
It was 'Man of Iron'.. (have a copy about me somewhere)

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
GoldChannel
possibly my eyes ran too quickly over the relevant page *lol

(i have been imagining Paul Darrow in a certain Robert Downey Jr role all weekend...!)

winnie-l
I thot it was ok too, esp the "Making of" detail. For instance, Ch4 on Season2 (p35) says that Vere Lorrimer who directed 14.Redemption & 20.Killer got started on the location shooting first... & I thot Oh! Is that why Avon (for instance) has the same costume in both - it was just easier than bothering with a 2nd costume for him on location shooting? Blake also wears the same in both episodes. But, Vila, Jenna & Cally wear different outfits in them (unless my memory is borked). Maybe some actors were "more difficult" re: costumes on location....? (Anyone know?)

Also some of the pictures are quite unique - they look like photos during rehearsals (I've not seen many of those). On p23, look at what Tyce wears, & compare it to what she wore in the recorded episode. THANK GOD for that costume change!! Also on p30 (shot from 05.TheWeb) Blake's wearing his anorak but no Liberator gun-belt & it almost looks like he's not wearing a shirt under his anorak - or it's open unusually low, as a lot of his chest is showing.... Definitely not a 'screencap' but a rehearsal shot.

BTW: +CONFIRMED+ the pages in mine are all quite loose. Poor binding.
As someone said, "I suppose this makes it easier to use it for scanning purposes, if you're into that sort of thing."

A copy of Man Of Iron can be found here:
http://seis.bris....script.txt

rojkerr1 wrote:
Gareth Thomas hated this book, he said the guy never bothered to interview him or anyone else as far as he knew! Think he refused to sign one fans copy...

An incident like this, but much milder, is mentioned in a Horizon fanzine article: (Mods: hope it's ok to quote a bit from it)

from Horizon Newsletter #33 (Nov 95):
GARETH THOMAS at The Movie Palace related by Cathy Nash

Apparently date was 12 August 1995

"Gareth Thomas arrived, accompanied by Sheelagh Wells, and sat at the coffee tables where we were all able to come over and have plenty of time to mix, chat and have photos taken with them. As there were only about 20 people there, it was a nice, small, informal session. Gareth was as charming as ever and his sense of humour was definitely on form. When I asked him to sign my copy of Adrian Rigelsford's new book The Making of Terry Nation's Blake's 7 he had a browse through it and was quite annoyed at the amount of mistakes and incorrect information he found about himself, plus the dreadful photos. I cannot write what he would like to do to the author if he came across him!!
(Di: Well, this is a family newsletter...)"

GoldChannel
thanks for those Winnie Smile will check out the script asap

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.47 seconds
9,937,464 unique visits since 8th January 2014