Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

 Print Thread
Libby Chronicles unofficial survey
trevor travis
**Warning - some answers may contain spoilers**

1. What is your favourite volume?
2. Which is your least favourite volume?
3. Which writer should Big Finish use more?
4. Which writer would you prefer Big Finish not to use again?
5. Of those characters/actors not used by Big Finish as yet, who would most like to see featured?
6. How good or otherwise do you regard the characterisation in the Libby Chronicles?
7. How important is continuity - should BF do more to get it right, or is the story the main consideration?
8. BF has used a number of their own new characters. Would you like to see more or less of these?
9. Which regular characters have fared well in the LC (e.g. fleshing out the character) and which badly?
10. How many volumes of the LC would you like to see each year?
11. Do you prefer stories with some narration, or stories which are just a conversation between two characters?
12. Do you prefer single or multi-part stories for the LC?
Edited by trevor travis on 16 November 2014 14:10:20
 
BradPaula
Wow, TT. I'm going to have to mull over my answers. Even though I have gone through all the discs in the last few months, I'll have to do a bit of study in order to answer most of the questions. But great idea, and our answers may come in useful for the Big Finish honchos!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.
 
trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:

Wow, TT. I'm going to have to mull over my answers. Even though I have gone through all the discs in the last few months, I'll have to do a bit of study in order to answer most of the questions. But great idea, and our answers may come in useful for the Big Finish honchos!


Paula, I'm mulling over my own answers. Wink
 
BradPaula
You'll have to excuse me today. We got not only the book, Criminal Intent, but also Liberator Chronicles #10, AND Scimitar. Also two Vortex magazines, one with an interview and nice cast photo! *Spoilers* Tom Chadbon has misplaced his beard! So it's been a day of 'what do I listen to or read first? Christmas has come early at the Black household. Woo Hoo!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.
 
Lentila
Great questions, Trevor Travis.
This needs some thought ...
but here's a few preliminary answers from me ..

1. Favourite volume still Vol. 3 - The Armageddon Storm, with Vol. 9 coming in second ... probably. Have only heard one story so far from the latest volume - which I loved (Retribution). If the others are as good - Vol 10 might become my favourite.

2. Least favourite? Need to think about that. Possibly the Blake's Story volume. Which of course was written by the very same writers as my favourite volumes. But I loved Peter Anghelides' story in the same volume.

3. Need to think about that.

4. I can't think of a writer that I don't like. No one has written two or more stories that I've found disappointing or out of character. I've been mostly pretty impressed with the Liberator Chronicles so far.

5. Need to think. Obviously Josette Simon and Glynis Barber would be great to have on board.

6. I think generally the characterisation is good. Big Finish have expanded some aspects of character. eg. Cally's guerrilla expertise is back in the foreground in these stories. I like this. I like what they're doing with Vila, and I've enjoyed learning more about Servalan and Travis's past. I don't always agree with the Big Finish view of Blake - but I can see where it comes from in the original series.

7. Not too fussed about continuity. The writers should have room to be creative. And I think Big Finish have generally been better at character continuity than the original series.

8. I'm happy with new characters. In fact, I was disappointed that so few of the new characters in the full cast series managed to survive an episode. Some of them had a lot of potential! I like the President especially. I suppose major long-running new characters may be an issue with continuity ... but then I said I didn't care very much about that.

9. I think Cally, Travis and Vila have done well - on the whole. Blake has had plenty of attention. More could be done with Avon and Jenna. And we haven't had many stories with Tarrant, yet.

10. As many as possible! I can always catch up in my own time - but the cast may not all be willing to do these audios forever.

11. I'm happy with both ... but I find I least like the format where one cast member does about 85% of the story, with someone else adding a bit of dialogue here and there. I find that distracting. I find that I am waiting to hear that other voice. I personally prefer either one person narrating alone, or two or three actors pretty much sharing the story (one can narrate but the others must have plenty of dialogue). Three performers seems almost full cast to me.

12. Obviously the length should suit the story - but I do like multi-part stories. I also think it takes longer to tell a story in audio.

Phew! Sorry for the long post ... but you did ask.
 
trevor travis
1. What is your favourite volume?

Volume 5. Two very strong stories out of the three. Logic is strong and contains a great performance from Louise Jameson as Pol, while Three is my very favourite story of the Liberator Chronicles. Great writing and fantastic performances. Servalan at her worst, and therefore at her best, if you see what I mean. No wonder Jacqueline Pearce thought this one was the best script she'd ever read. It's just wonderful.

I also think Volumes 2 (a good consistent volume) & 8 (again, two crackers out of three) are strong ones.

2. Which is your least favourite volume?

Probably Volume 4. Promises is pretty good, but the other two stories are less good. I really like Incentive, which saves Volume 6 from being dragged into this category.

3. Which writer should Big Finish use more?

James Goss. He's already wrote two dark classics in Three and Spoils. I love both these stories.

4. Which writer would you prefer Big Finish not to use again?

Marc Platt. He doesn't understand B7. Keep him on the Doctor Who range instead.

5. Of those characters/actors not used by Big Finish as yet, who would most like to see featured?

I'd love to have Glynis Barber's Soolin brought on board, although of course that would be for the Scorpio Chronicles (which I really hope happens at some point). A full-cast audio series from Season D co-starring Glynis would also be nice.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll see Dayna - unless someone be very persuasive.

As for guest characters, Carnell would top of my list, and Bayban in second place (for a prequel, as he ends City blown to pieces). Carnell, in particular, has so much untapped potential, he could even be used to influence events over a whole volume of separate stories, with him being a connecting link.

6. How good or otherwise do you regard the characterisation in the Libby Chronicles?

Mostly fantastic. I love the way the Libby Chronicles allows us right into the character's heads. It takes advantage of the audio medium, to give us depths of characterisation. To me, this is the huge plus of the range.

It occasionally goes wrong - for instance, Avon is far too heroic at times. For instance, there's that speech at the end of the Armageddon Storm which is not really a Avon speech at all, but a Blake one. Avon is not a crusader. He only ever fights back when backed into a corner and he has no choice otherwise. Or he can make money out of it.

7. How important is continuity - should BF do more to get it right, or is the story the main consideration?

References to "warp", etc don't bother me too much, as long as we're in the middle of a cracking story.

But when the whole point revolves around it, that's more problematic. An example is the Cally clones all called Cally in "Sea Of Iron", an idea borrowed from B7 Media's reimagined series. Sorry, but we only see one Cally clone in the series - and she's called Zelda, not Cally. Perhaps this was lazy writing, not changing the script when it went from a submission for B7 Media to one for Big Finish.

8. BF has used a number of their own new characters. Would you like to see more or less of these?

I like the current mix, where we get one or two new characters/actors per volume. There have been great new characters: Cullen, Pol, Nyrron, Tavac, etc.

However, it's important that none of the regulars miss out too much because of this. We haven't had enough Tarrant in the Liberator Chronicles as yet, an oversight which I hope is put right.

9. Which regular characters have fared well in the LC (e.g. fleshing out the character) and which badly?

They've all done well, simply because the Libby Chronicles are character based. It's been particularly nice to get into the heads of Cally and Jenna, and both have been given the chance to expand. Cally has been the revelation of the range, and been given some great stuff; too often she was pushed into the background in TV episodes. Of course, the Libby Chronicles tend to focus mostly on one character, and this is particularly satisfying when it is done for a character that was underdeveloped on screen.

Jenna has been in some of what I've actually considered the weaker LC stories, but again it's been nice to have her covered more in depth than seen on screen.

Meanwhile, Vila has been a delight, but he always has been. And there's been some brilliant stuff with Servalan. It's almost impossible to go wrong with the Supreme Commander, Three and President have been particular highlights.

On the flip side, it's been a bit inconsistent with Avon, despite the usual stellar performances from Paul Darrow. Simon Guerrier seems to properly understand Avon's morality (or rather lack of it!) and that there should always be an ambiguity over his actions, but other writers have struggled to get this right. No more Avon as the hero.... please!

10. How many volumes of the LC would you like to see each year?

While there are also full cast audios, I think two volumes (i.e. six stories) per year are sufficient. In the meantime, if Big Finish record far more than that amount per year, then great. A nice stockpile, so that we can enjoy new B7 stories for a few years to come.

11. Do you prefer stories with some narration, or stories which are just a conversation between two characters?

I don't mind either, although I do have a preference for the latter. Three is brilliant, because it is a conversation - therefore you're left trying to pick apart which parts are the truth and which are lies.

12. Do you prefer single or multi-part stories for the LC?

Single. That's what B7 was - single-episode stories (the closest to a two-parter is Aftermath and Powerplay, but even that isn't a true two-parter).

If there's an arc across stories or connections between stories then fair enough - in fact, that's nice, it allows the Liberator Chronicles to build up its own mythology. Plus the full cast audios contain multi-part stories, so if the same is done for the Libby Chronicles, it's dragging Big Finish's B7 output too far away from the original template of what B7 was. I don't really want epic three-part stories with lots of action as part of the LC. Please keep them as single episode character-based stories.

In particular, any Season C stories need to one-off stories, with virtually no arc behind them, with the crew wandering about a bit aimlessly. That's what that season was about.


In conclusion, I love the Liberator Chronicles. The full-cast audios are great as well, but I think I have just a slight preference for the Libby Chronicles with the way they get into the heads of the characters.
Edited by trevor travis on 16 November 2014 14:10:51
 
Travisina
Coo, that's a lot to mull over, TT! I'll get back to you once I've mulled.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
Spaceship Dispatcher
1. What is your favourite volume?

My answer to this used to be The Armaggedon Storm, a splendid adventure on quite a broad canvas and the return of Tom Chadbon as Del Grant, but now I would say Vol. 5 because of the amazing quality of Three and Logic

2. Which is your least favourite volume?

Vols. 1,2 and 6 all compete for this; probably Vol. 2 on reflection because Wolf is such a mess.

3. Which writer should Big Finish use more?

James Swallow, because The Hard Road was a story with a concept that really worked for me.

5. Of those characters/actors not used by Big Finish as yet, who would most like to see featured?

Despite the fact that it would mean Scorpio Chronicles Oops ...Glynis Barber

6. How good or otherwise do you regard the characterisation in the Libby Chronicles?

Very hit and miss; the dialogue is generally great but the character development imo often drifts into alternate universe territory or simply contradicts the canon - see my answer to Q9

7. How important is continuity - should BF do more to get it right, or is the story the main consideration?

Vitally important - the stories are supposed to fit into an existing framework of continuity created in the four original seasons. If you want to make stories based on something else, call it something else. I'm all for new narrative styles within reason, but new stories should fit around the originals even if told in a different way.

8. BF has used a number of their own new characters. Would you like to see more or less of these?

Good as a one off, but please no BF recurring characters in the LCs; we need to use the original cast as much as possible and not replace them through the back door as has arguably happened with some of the Dr Who ranges.

9. Which regular characters have fared well in the LC (e.g. fleshing out the character) and which badly?

Cally has become far too strong and experienced as a character, so that she would have become a powerful voice on the crew if these events had actually happened, and has fared too well in the LCs making her too different to what we see on screen; similarly Vila is no longer the background figure, adeptly playing the social games to keep his head down by pretending to be incapable through fear or alcohol addiction, that makes him such a great character in the show but he is now too much a leading member of the crew imo and also politically connected - something that would not go unmentioned or unused in later stories; Avon is mostly right except that his personal timeline of how he develops as a character has also been overlooked with him becoming the new leader of the rebellion while on the Liberator, when in the series canon this does not occur until s4; Jenna and Blake seem to me served okay until their own s3 adventures when the wheels come off completely and the whole thing takes turn for the worst with Jenna lovestruck and Blake insane; Tarrant is especially erratic as a person, but that at least is authentic to the series! Servalan and Travis have been right every time imo.

10. How many volumes of the LC would you like to see each year?

No opinion - if they are good enough and attract plenty of fan debate online then I'll buy them.

11. Do you prefer stories with some narration, or stories which are just a conversation between two characters?

Conversation between two characters, without a doubt; the narration is quite awkward imo because BF insist for some odd reason on all LCs being told in the first person, and trying to fit who they are talking to and when into canon is even more complex than placing the stories themselves! Switching between drama and recollection can also be both jarring and confusing, so just narration with the second actor playing a person to whom the story is being told, or preferably a two handed drama for me.

12. Do you prefer single or multi-part stories for the LC?

Both can work imo, and I would like to see more multi-episode stories like TAS soon.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 16 November 2014 21:20:40
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site
 
trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:Both can work imo, and I would like to see more multi-episode stories like TAF soon.


TAF? Has the Armageddon Factor become a Libby Chronicles story Shock I wonder if Avon and K9 got on well? Grin
 
Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

TAF? Has the Armageddon Factor become a Libby Chronicles story Shock I wonder if Avon and K9 got on well? Grin

Typo corrected Grin

But yes, if only Blake's 7 were licenced from the BBC and not B7M then a DW/B7 cross-over where Avon ends up with K-9 and the Doctor finds himself arguing with Orac would be wonderful! Sadly not possible however...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site
 
Ellen York

But yes, if only Blake's 7 were licenced from the BBC and not B7M then a DW/B7 cross-over where Avon ends up with K-9 and the Doctor finds himself arguing with Orac would be wonderful! Sadly not possible however...


I'm not usually a fan of cross-overs, but that is one I would read/watch. Maybe some enterprising fan-fic author...?
 
BradPaula
Note: I have not listened to LC #10 yet, nor have I listened to Full Cast Audio Scimitar. My opinions are based solely on LC's #1-9 and the 7 Full Cast Audios.

1. What is your favorite volume?

I'd have to say LC#3 Armageddon Storm. It was the first three part set and it brought back mercenary Del Grant. Also, it was written by Caven Scott and Mark Wright, my favorite writers so far in the Blake's 7 range. Honorable mention shall go to LC#9 for the stories, Defector and Secrets, also by Cav and Mark.

2. Which is your least favorite volume?

LC#2 as both False Positive and Wolf by Eddie Robson were not favorites of mine.

3. Which writer should Big Finish use more?

I'd say Simon Guerrier as he wrote both LC#1's The Turing Test, LC#5's Logic, and President from LC#8. Honorable mention should go to LC#8's Spoils by James Goss.

4. Which writer you you prefer Big Finish not to use again?

I was not a fan of LC#6's Jenna's Story by Steve Lyons.

5. Of those characters/actors not used by Big Finish as of yet, who would you most like to see featured?

I'd like Big Finish to eventually get to the 4th series and Soolin. Saying that, I'd most like to have Big Finish bring back Bayban, Carnell, Avalon, Inga, Deeta Tarrant, and possibly the Blake clone and Rashel.

6. How good or otherwise do you regard the characterization of the Libby Chronicles?

For the most part they have the characters down pretty good. There have been individual stories where I have wondered about why certain characters do and say things- Cally the most I'd say. Secondary I'd mention Jenna, although except for Jenna's Story, I don't remember any one story which featured her solely. I think they have gotten Blake and Vila amazingly true, and nearly so with Avon. But then, it is a matter of personal feeling isn't it? Everyone seems to have their own opinion of how characters are and we often don't agree with one's interpretation, do we?

7. How important is continuity, should BF do more to get it right, or is the story the main consideration?

Continuity is important, but I'm not a stickler for it in the stories. The novels are a different subject all together! I do like to be able to pin point when a certain story happens in regard to the series and I love when things like specific planets are mentioned from the series, but of course any error in continuity does stick out like a sore thumb to we who are seasoned fans.

8. BF has used a number of their new characters. Would you like to see more or less of these?

I think the amount of new characters is about right. I can understand the expense involved in doing audios with more than a few actors and that sometimes one of our own actors are not available, so new characters are used to enhance the story. The one new character I'm thinking of now is Pol, from Logic in LC#6 played without equal by Louise Jameson. There are other characters, I'm thinking of like Dan Starkey in Spoils, from LC#8 who I'd love to have in more audios. But one has to remember these are Blake's 7 discs and the ideal scenario would be to have guest stars from the original series in the secondary roles before any 'new' characters.

9. Which regular characters have fared well in the LC (e.g fleshing out the character) and which badly?

I think the characters of Blake, Avon, Vila, Servalan, and Cally to some degree have been done well. I think more work should be done in regards to Jenna. I have also greatly enjoyed the Travis I and II stories but I think Travis II needs more 'fleshing out'.

10. How many volumes of the LC would you like to see each year?

I think no more than 4 LC's per year. Much as I love Big Finish and all they've done for Blake's 7, bringing out the Full Cast Audios in addition to the LC's is a lot of discs to buy and some fans cannot afford them all in one calendar year. I would ask that Big Finish continue the 4 set per year output and perhaps include one Full Cast Audio per set. I also think the experiment of publishing Blake's 7 novels have not been that successful and would urge the powers that be to discontinue the novels and concentrate on the LC's with the occasional Full Cast Audio.

11. Do you prefer stories with some narration, or stories which are just a conversation between two characters?

I have no problem either way. We are blessed with some very experienced and natural actors and part of the charm of listening to the audios are the actors narrating the story themselves. I am thinking of the three most popular to me- Michael Keating, Gareth Thomas and Paul Darrow. These gentlemen can do it all and I love to listen to them go from character to narrator. I think the story itself is more important than who is narrating or not or which characters are speaking with each other.

12. Do you prefer single or multi-part stories for the LC?

I think a good balance is important so I'd say that BF should put out single stories for the most part, but perhaps once or even twice a year do a multi-parter. I am thinking of Armageddon Storm from LC#3 which was the first multi-part story, and then the recent LC#9 with Defector, Planetfall, and Secrets the latest multi-parter. Having a balance would then give different authors and a variety of actors the chance to show their 'stuff' and we would not be bored (heaven forbid!) with only one way of doing the audios.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.
 
trevor travis
Ellen York wrote:


But yes, if only Blake's 7 were licenced from the BBC and not B7M then a DW/B7 cross-over where Avon ends up with K-9 and the Doctor finds himself arguing with Orac would be wonderful! Sadly not possible however...


I'm not usually a fan of cross-overs, but that is one I would read/watch. Maybe some enterprising fan-fic author...?


I think Brad has already been there and got the Tee-Shirt Grin

Brad, do you have a digital copy anywhere of "Rescue Who"? (Probably best on its own thread, we don't want to divert this one too much).
 
JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:



Brad, do you have a digital copy anywhere of "Rescue Who"? (Probably best on its own thread, we don't want to divert this one too much).


I don't, but I think Paula probably does.
 
Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:



Brad, do you have a digital copy anywhere of "Rescue Who"? (Probably best on its own thread, we don't want to divert this one too much).


I don't, but I think Paula probably does.

If either of you can find it - instead of putting it on a thread, please send it to me so I can publish it properly in our fan fic section?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
Spaceship Dispatcher
Travisina wrote:

If either of you can find it - instead of putting it on a thread, please send it to me so I can publish it properly in our fan fic section?

I have Rescue Who by Brad and have e-mailed it to you Happy
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site
 
49ermadfan
1. What is your favourite volume?
Volume 3 - The Armageddon Storm closely followed by Volume 8 (with the exception of The Sea of Iron)

2. Which is your least favourite volume?
Volume 2

3. Which writer should Big Finish use more?
James Swallow and Simon Guerrier

4. Which writer would you prefer Big Finish not to use again?
Marc Platt

5. Of those characters/actors not used by Big Finish as yet, who would most like to see featured?
Apart from Dayna/Soolin, probably Carnell. Could be interesting to see what happens after Weapon and before Kaldor City

6. How good or otherwise do you regard the characterisation in the Libby Chronicles?
Very good on the whole.

7. How important is continuity - should BF do more to get it right, or is the story the main consideration?
Continuity is important however it must be very difficult to add in-between stories to the series 30+ years later. Happy to give BF some artistic licence here to expand the universe.

8. BF has used a number of their own new characters. Would you like to see more or less of these?
Happy to see more - the crew can't have done everything they did in isolation.

9. Which regular characters have fared well in the LC (e.g. fleshing out the character) and which badly?
Vila seems to have very well as has Servalan. Obviously Gan has suffered for obvious reasons so no fleshing out of his character. Also I'm not sure Jenna's character has fared well enough either.

10. How many volumes of the LC would you like to see each year?
Heart says 12 a year - wallet says 4 a year!

11. Do you prefer stories with some narration, or stories which are just a conversation between two characters?
Depends on the writer and the characters.

12. Do you prefer single or multi-part stories for the LC?
Armaggedon Storm is the perfect example of what could be done as a multi-part story. Happy to have both going forwards. What would be nice in some ways though is if three standalone stories tie-up in some way though
 
Gauda Cheese
1. What is your favourite volume? 3 The Armageddon Storm.


2. Which is your least favourite volume? Hard to say each volume has at least 2 stories i like. But maybe 2


3. Which writer should Big Finish use more? Simon Guerrier and James Goss (Three!)


4. Which writer would you prefer Big Finish not to use again? I think the only 2 stories I didn't like much were Wolf and Solitary, but I like both writers.

5. Of those characters/actors not used by Big Finish as yet, who would most like to see featured? DAYNA!!! Soolin, Carnell, Avalon, the Thaarn (joking!)

6. How good or otherwise do you regard the characterisation in the Libby Chronicles? Very strong. I think the only characterisation I disagree with at times is Blake.

7. How important is continuity - should BF do more to get it right, or is the story the main consideration? I like it, but theres no real need to use it. You can tell good stories with contradicting anything.

8. BF has used a number of their own new characters. Would you like to see more or less of these? More, because this is Blakes 7 and people keep dying

9. Which regular characters have fared well in the LC (e.g. fleshing out the character) and which badly? Avon, Cally and Vila have fared well. Blake don't always agree with the direction his character takes, but I don't like him much anyway.

10. How many volumes of the LC would you like to see each year? As many as they would like to put out. I am always happy to play catch up

11. Do you prefer stories with some narration, or stories which are just a conversation between two characters? Doesn't matter if the story is good.

12. Do you prefer single or multi-part stories for the LC? Tough one to answer, 3 is my fave, but I have loved many of the single part stories. I'd love to see a trilogy that is by three different writers to see how that pans out

All of this I say having only heard the first 7 LC's. I'm dying to get 8 and even more so 9 and will soon.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...
 
guiser
1 What is your favourite volume?
That is a tough one, because my favourite audios are often on volumes that contain real clunkers! If pressed, I'd say volume 10. If we discount the latest volume, then probably 2 or 7. Volume 5 would be in contention, but I prefer audios dominated by original cast members and Logic, good as it was, lacked that factor.

2. Which is your least favourite volume?
I skipped 9 because I am not very fond of Mr Scott and Wright's writing, so it would have to be a choice between Armageddon Storm (am I out of step with fan opinion or what?!) and volume 4. Vol 4 probably wins out because Promises and Epitaph made pretty much no impression on me at all (though quite liked Kerr). I liked the idea behind Armageddon Storm, but the execution - not so much. Vol 6 would have been in contention because I really didn't like Jenna's Story and really, really didn’t like Blake's Story, but I liked Incentive so much that I had to rule it out of the running.

3. Which writer should Big Finish use more?
James Goss, definitely. Dark and makes you think. I really loved Three and Spoils.

4. Which writer would you prefer Big Finish not to use again?
I really hate to say this, but I'd like Mr Scott and Wright to stick to producing. I don't particularly like Armageddon Storm, I don't like the 2 audios that form the climax of the 1st full cast audio series and I loathe "Blake’s Story". 3 strikes and you are out for me! Mr Lyons would have been in contention for writing the damp squib that was Jenna's Story, but he has redeemed himself by penning Velandra, as far as I'm concerned. Thus I wouldn't rule out a writer based on one misfire.

5. Of those characters/actors not used by Big Finish as yet, who would most like to see featured?
Carnell, definitely Carnell. I've got the Kaldor City audios and loved the one with Carnell in it. (I ended up not listening to the later ones because I was pining for Carnell!)

6. How good or otherwise do you regard the characterisation in the Libby Chronicles?
It is a bit all over the place for some of the characters (Vila most obviously), but that is not entirely a bad thing (and the original show wasn't that consistent either!). Someone whose livejournal blog I read, said that this inconsistency means that some of the audios at least will feature the characterisation that you favour yourself! Even fans disagree on what characters are really like, so writers should be allowed some leeway (within reason). Also, real people are rarely completely logical and consistent in their actions. I only object when writers really go off the deep end like in “Blake’s Story” and when Blake attacks the President in the Classic audio adventures (Why ? He shows a distinct lack of interest in assassination as a political tool in the rest of the series – Travis, Servalan etc.)

7. How important is continuity - should BF do more to get it right, or is the story the main consideration?
I think BF should make every effort to keep continuity in terms of the events of the series. Personally I wouldn’t be that bothered by small slips, but I know they can jolt people out of audios so they should be avoided as much as possible.

8. BF has used a number of their own new characters. Would you like to see more or less of these?
I don’t really find BF’s new characters all that memorable. Nyrron was probably the most interesting for me. I’ve got a bad feeling the President character (zzzz) is being built up as a Servalan replacement, but I wouldn’t like that at all! I prefer the original characters in the series to be front and centre. If an audio is built around a new character, I’d like that character to remain a one-off and not have a continuing presence in the series. I think I would find it difficult to become attached to a character who only appears in audios, in the same way that I am attached to the cast of the tv show.

9. Which regular characters have fared well in the LC (e.g. fleshing out the character) and which badly?
I don’t see the audios as having fleshed out the characters that much really. Jenna has probably fared the worst in terms of characterisation. Her audio was not very interesting and took the character in a pretty dull standard-issue direction (personal revenge, romantic love zzzzz) , nor has she been utilised all that interestingly elsewhere in the audios.

BF writers seem to like to write Cally as the intial “companions for my death” warrior character. She is coming over as quite touchy and is developing anger management problems! In the series, however, she always seemed calmer than the rest of the crew. At the same time there is also an over-use of Cally as the holier than thou “conscience of the crew”. In any case, combine these two tendencies and you get a character who is quite, quite punchable. Makes Blake look like Avon. If this is intentional, it could actually be quite interesting, but I suspect not…

Blake – don’t get me started. His is ok in most of the audios, though there is a bit of a tendency to caricature him (sometimes too angry, too vengeful, too insensitive or at the opposite end of the scale, too naďve) but he is way out in “Blake’s Story”. A lot of the character’s appeal is his idealism and tenacity (the nail that will not be hammered down). To completely strip that away and make him emotionally and practically dependent on Jenna and Avon was just awful.

10. How many volumes of the LC would you like to see each year?
I’d prefer 4, even though I can’t really afford them! The best of the LCs appeal to me much more than the best of the full-cast audios. (Battleground is a favourite of the full cast audios because it really gets it right in terms of dialogue and characterisation).

11. Do you prefer stories with some narration, or stories which are just a conversation between two characters?
I’m not too bothered, so long as they are good! However, sometimes when Blake and Avon are present in an story, but only one of the actors is present in the audio, I pine for some more audios with PD and GT interacting. The tension between Avon and Blake is a large part of my attraction to the show and I’m not getting enough of that in the audios! I’d love an audio along those lines by Mr Smith or Una McCormack, say.

12. Do you prefer single or multi-part stories for the LC?
Single part stories. I like 1 hour stories with a strong central idea, not sprawling epics. And I'm not fond of long action sequences on audio - zzzz.
Edited by guiser on 20 November 2014 19:24:18
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.64 seconds
9,133,182 unique visits since 8th January 2014