Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 14

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 925
· Newest Rebel: uazdah

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Josette Simon
Ulysses3D
Just saw JS on BBC1's "Death in Paradise" http://www.imdb.c...tt3479844/...She looks fantastic!! still looks like Dayna...

http://www.redbubble.com/people/ulysses3d
Gauda Cheese
I have been playing a game called Dragon Age Inquisition and one of the characters you have in your party is voiced by none other than Simon herself!
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

briggsy1
Just discovered Josette Simon has an OBE. Which I assume makes her the only B7 cast member to have been honoured by the Queen - unless anyone knows differently?

Travisina
If you count guest actors, then David Haig (Section Leader in Rumours) received an MBE and the late Lynda Bellingham (Mrs Muller) was awarded an OBE.

Those are the two I can think of immediately - anyone know of any others?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Joe Dredd
I hear she asked to be made an Earl so overall she could be an EARLOBE.

Space Chopper
I really wish she could be persuaded to do some stuff for Big Finish. Such a shame that she doesn't seem to look back fondly on any of her B7 days.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

trevor travis
Space Chopper wrote:
Such a shame that she doesn't seem to look back fondly on any of her B7 days.

Do we actually know that, for sure? Or is it simply that she feels she has moved on and doesn't want to do what she was doing when she was 19 years old?

rojkerr1
Thought she tended to leave it off her CV? Its a shame as it it got her an equity card at the very least

BradPaula
Travisina wrote:

If you count guest actors, then David Haig (Section Leader in Rumours) received an MBE and the late Lynda Bellingham (Mrs Muller) was awarded an OBE.

Those are the two I can think of immediately - anyone know of any others?

Julian Glover was awarded the OBE I believe the same time as David Haig.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Travisina
BradPaula wrote:

Julian Glover was awarded the OBE I believe the same time as David Haig.

Ah yes, quite right - I'd forgotten.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

sweevo
According to TV Tropes, Josette Simon has disassociated herself with B7 because she felt the character of Dayna embodied a "sexual and racial warrior princess" stereotype.

BradPaula
sweevo wrote:

According to TV Tropes, Josette Simon has disassociated herself with B7 because she felt the character of Dayna embodied a "sexual and racial warrior princess" stereotype.

Funny, I 'd have thought just the reverse, that the character was a strong model for ethnic peoples. That's as maybe, but a person who worked behind the scenes told us to our faces that it was just sad that Ms. Simon has conveniently forgotten how she got her Equity card. I guess we should be pleased that she has at least agreed to sign photos of herself for the upcoming Cygnus Alpha convention. (She won't attend but will sign the photos beforehand it seems.

Anniew
BradPaula I agree. If she is ashamed of the role and feels the stereotype is disrespectful it would be good to hear her views on this at conventions rather than simply wiping it off her CV. But perhaps her willingness to give autographs this time suggests a change of policy? I must say, I have always seen the character of Dayna as a dignified embodiment of a strong independent woman, not a princess, with sufficient complexity in the character to prevent it being a stereotype. And Ms Simon's performance was strong enough to ensure she can be viewed as a serious actress not simply a space opera star- along with the other performers as their subsequent careers have illustrated.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

rojkerr1
Sounds somewhat similar to Nichelle Nicholls on Star Trek, she was going to leave until Martin Luther King told her not to, as her character was important in portraying a powerful officer image, regardless of race, and was an important role model for her generation

MLPasterisk
Anniew wrote:

BradPaula I agree. If she is ashamed of the role and feels the stereotype is disrespectful it would be good to hear her views on this at conventions rather than simply wiping it off her CV.

I agree. Janet Fielding was always very outspoken at conventions about the role of women in Doctor Who and for many years declined requests to play Tegan again for Big Finish. She has now changed her mind on the latter at least !

I must say, I have always seen the character of Dayna as a dignified embodiment of a strong independent woman, not a princess, with sufficient complexity in the character to prevent it being a stereotype.

I agree. I thought Dayna was a very strong character. I don't think her race was ever really an issue in the show, which was a positive development in itself.
At the time that Blake's 7 was on there were plenty of "politically incorrect" shows on the air which make one wince when seen today.
I think Blake's 7 generally stands up very well in this respect, although it's open to accusations of sexism when the boys get to teleport down the planet each week while Cally and Jenna get left behind !

As with other female leads like Jenna and Cally she was established very strongly initially but later scripts didn't always do her justice, particularly in the fourth season. It's difficult to see how her desire for revenge against Servalan could ever have been satisfactorily resolved.

meegat39
MLPasterisk wrote:

Anniew wrote:

BradPaula I agree. If she is ashamed of the role and feels the stereotype is disrespectful it would be good to hear her views on this at conventions rather than simply wiping it off her CV.

I agree. Janet Fielding was always very outspoken at conventions about the role of women in Doctor Who and for many years declined requests to play Tegan again for Big Finish. She has now changed her mind on the latter at least !

I must say, I have always seen the character of Dayna as a dignified embodiment of a strong independent woman, not a princess, with sufficient complexity in the character to prevent it being a stereotype.

I agree. I thought Dayna was a very strong character. I don't think her race was ever really an issue in the show, which was a positive development in itself.
At the time that Blake's 7 was on there were plenty of "politically incorrect" shows on the air which make one wince when seen today.
I think Blake's 7 generally stands up very well in this respect, although it's open to accusations of sexism when the boys get to teleport down the planet each week while Cally and Jenna get left behind !

As with other female leads like Jenna and Cally she was established very strongly initially but later scripts didn't always do her justice, particularly in the fourth season. It's difficult to see how her desire for revenge against Servalan could ever have been satisfactorily resolved.

Ummm, she could have killed her or at least got killed herself in the attempt on Servalan's last ever appearance.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

MLPasterisk
meegat39 wrote:

MLPasterisk wrote:

Anniew wrote:

Ummm, she could have killed her or at least got killed herself in the attempt on Servalan's last ever appearance.

Ultimately the only way they could have resolved it would be for either Dayna or Servalan to be killed off.

I think they were leaving things open for a fifth season though so I don't think they would have done that.

MLPasterisk
New Doctor Who magazine arrived today. It mentions that Josette Simon will be recording a Doctor Who audio play for Big Finish.

You never know, it might make her more amenable to the idea of reprising Dayna for them. Smile

Panna
Did she have a bad time when she played Dayna?
"You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? "Hey, man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

BradPaula
MLPasterisk wrote:

New Doctor Who magazine arrived today. It mentions that Josette Simon will be recording a Doctor Who audio play for Big Finish.

You never know, it might make her more amenable to the idea of reprising Dayna for them. Smile

That's the first big step towards getting Dayna back. Those Big Finish poo-bahs, how do they wrangle all these actors to their side? Good to hear that bit of news!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.52 seconds
9,883,504 unique visits since 8th January 2014