Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 998
· Newest Rebel: AVALON

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [25 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [16 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [19 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
15% [17 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
6% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [7 Votes]

Votes: 116
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Rewatch - Dr Who
Spaceship Dispatcher
See you both at 11am our time for episodes 3 and 4 Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Yes, he's the comic foil for Colin in one episode. He's a train spotter, who wants to be more exciting. During the course of the episode, we find he has also sorts of other outlandish hobbies, for example he takes the photos of trains from his hand glider.

But the actor (I won't try to spell it) is best known for his portrayal of Adrian Mole.

Thanks! I've not heard of Adrian Mole, but I'll look out for him in Press Gang Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

trevor travis
Gauda Cheese wrote:

A much better cliffhanger! See you all at 9?

yes, better cliffhanger,although I much prefer the build-up episode (Episode 1) in general. The other episodes don't quite pay off the original mystery, although Ian Reddington ins damn creepy as the Chief Clown.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

yes, better cliffhanger,although I much prefer the build-up episode (Episode 1) in general. The other episodes don't quite pay off the original mystery, although Ian Reddington ins damn creepy as the Chief Clown.

Yes, I think that's a fair comment.

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
Thanks! I've not heard of Adrian Mole, but I'll look out for him in Press Gang Grin

SD, did you read the Adrian Mole books. When I was around 12 or 13, they were the thing to read.

Sue Townsend got perfectly into the mind of your average teenage boy. The subsequent books once he's an adult of nowhere as good, but the first two books, where he's aged 13-and-three-quaters and 15, are superb.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

SD, did you read the Adrian Mole books. When I was around 12 or 13, they were the thing to read.

Nope, never heard of them. But the gap in our ages made more difference when we were kids; I was still on The Iron Man and The Secret Seven when you were 12! Grin

Gauda Cheese
Episode 3!
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

Most significant of all, The Horns of Nimon sees the retirement of Delia Derbyshire's arrangement of the theme music and Bernard Lodge's vortical title sequences, which together had worked their spooky, hypnotic magic on viewers for 17 years.

But the arrangement was varied 4 times, with different notes played! Listen to all the different themes one after the other on CD; the music is the same but the contribution and mix of the different electronic sounds changes, and there are added notes especially in the 1971 version.

SD, I'm not claiming it sounds identical all the way from 1963-1980, simply that it is the same arrangement. Of course over that time, it is re-edited and has other things added over the top of it. But it is still the Delia Derbyshire arrangement.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Episode 3 started Grin

trevor travis
Here goes with episode 3....

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

SD, I'm not claiming it sounds identical all the way from 1963-1980, simply that it is the same arrangement. Of course over that time, it is re-edited and has other things added over the top of it. But it is still the Delia Derbyshire arrangement.

Indeed, but I believed GC was asking about our preference re. specific variations. Happy

trevor travis
The 'bright lighting' of most the 80s episodes has finally gone by the time they did this. Dark lighting has always been so much atmospheric. Philip Hinchcliffe was the master of this; on the DVDs of his stories, he's always going on about getting the lighting right.

Gauda Cheese
Mags looks like a Space Rat

Spaceship Dispatcher
The relationship between Mags and the Captain is interesting in itself imo, one of extra dimensions that makes an adventure into a drama; of course you need the cast to make it work, but TP McKenna and Jessica Martin are excellent! There's a mystery about them that's not directly related to the plot, merely interacts with it as we progress...

Gauda Cheese

trevor travis wrote:

Indeed, but I believed GC was asking about our preference re. specific variations. Happy

I was indeed.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

The 'bright lighting' of most the 80s episodes has finally gone by the time they did this. Dark lighting has always been so much atmospheric. Philip Hinchcliffe was the master of this; on the DVDs of his stories, he's always going on about getting the lighting right.

Oh yes, that's a real bonus of the McCoy era; even stories like Paradise Towers which has other faults (most notably the music on the broadcast version) benefit from looking better without Warriors of the Deep dazzle!

Gauda Cheese

The relationship between Mags and the Captain is interesting in itself imo, one of extra dimensions that makes an adventure into a drama; of course you need the cast to make it work, but TP McKenna and Jessica Martin are excellent! There's a mystery about them that's not directly related to the plot, merely interacts with it as we progress...

I'd read a Mag and the Captain book, or listen to the audio.

Gauda Cheese
"Lead on Deadbeat"

Not something thats often said without sarcasm.

trevor travis
Gauda Cheese wrote:
Its different to my ears therefore its not the same. of the "original" themes I like the Troughton one best

Yeah, I'm not claiming it was identical for 17 years, simply that it was the same arrangement, a testament to the work of Delia Derbyshire. Other people added bits over the top (from the start of Pertwee onwards), but it was still her version, underneath it all.

Of the original themes, I think I also prefer the spooky Hartnell & Troughton version.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Gauda Cheese wrote:

I was indeed.

re. themes...

The late 60s variation would be a close second for me behind the original from s1-4, and of the 70s versions I have always had a liking for the 'stutter version' in the Pertwee era. The Davison version, which iirc was the same as the s18 version, is very good but one I prefer listening to on CD rather than on the end credits if that makes sense. There's a change made for the Colin Baker episodes iirc but not an improvement, though still better than the Trial mix! The McCoy one is okay, but I'm glad that Murray Gold returned to the original style for the new series. I prefer the version for David's third series over the original created for Chris, and Matt's credits don't inspire me as much as those for David at the end. I'm giving a thumbs up to the current titles and music though...

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.59 seconds
12,153,120 unique visits since 8th January 2014