Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 1
bob79519

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
What do you look for?
Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm not sure where best to start this, but it applies to every Blake's 7 episode so it's here for now...

What sort of qualities do you look for in a drama? Are there any aspects of television production or elements of storytelling that you like to see, that are more important to you than others? When you rate something as good or disappointing, what kind of thing are you personally taking into account? Everyone looks at different things from their own perspective, so it's entirely subjective, but I thought that after the recent strong feelings about the new Doctor Who series especially it would be an interesting subject for comment.

So I'll start off, but over to you...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
These are my top criteria generally, although it's not a set of rules and if something is really strong in any of the top five elements then it might score highly even if its not great on all counts. Even within a series there will be variation.

#1 Drama; exploring feelings/ideas
#2 Regular actors’ performances
#3 Guest actors’ performances
#4 Mood and atmosphere
#5 Relationship drama
#6 Sets and costumes
#7 TV/film references
#8 Plot/complexity
#9 Distressed damsels
#10 Effects and models
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

JustBrad
Alex, I have a much shorter list, thought that may be because I consider things like actor's performances and relationship drama to be part of the general heading of 'interesting characters.' While I am interested in everything you mention in your top ten, many of those things are secondary to me, the gravy, if you will. When it comes down to it, three things make a good story for me.

1. Characters and dialog.
2. Plot.
3. An interesting world.

1. The characters are what draw me into a story. If I don't care about the characters, I don't care about the story. It doesn't matter how clever the dialog, how intricate the plot, or fantastic the world, if the characters are cliched, too mean, too stupid, or too perfect, I don't care what happens to them. If I can't care what happens to the characters, how can I care about the story?

2. Plot. No, I'm not talking about plot twists, though those can be entertaining. Good drama is all about interesting, realistic, and therefore somewhat flawed characters making difficult choices, and either becoming better or worse as a result. The protagonist cannot exist in a vacuum. It is not enough for conflict to exist and be resolved. The conflict must feel real, not contrived, and the resolution must involve a sacrifice, regardless of which choice is made.

3. The setting (world in which the story takes place) should provide the background, not be what the story is about, though it is helpful if the setting serves a purpose, such as providing conflict, or opportunities for conflict resolution.

With all that said, it should be no surprise that in my opinion, the greatest thing ever put on film is the movie 'Casablanca.'
Edited by JustBrad on 11 October 2014 01:01:56

Ellen York
My favorite books/shows are the ones where the characters resonate with me. If I am engaged with the characters, I can overlook plot holes and bad science. But drama and world building won't compensate for characters that I don't care about.

BradPaula
I made the point on another forum decades ago that you could film Blake's 7 with the actors in burlap sacks reciting their lines in front of a pinned up bed sheet. The characters and dialogue are the most important to me. If I am interested in the characters I'll follow them until the bitter end. Even the plot is secondary to me. I want to know how the characters think, feel, and see the interaction between them. I think that's the reason I still love Blake's 7 after so many years- it had to rely on acting and the interaction between the characters (script)- instead of expensive effects and after all this time I still haven't figured out why certain characters do this or that- what makes them tick- and I love it. On some level, these characters are real to me and it's been one heck of a ride all these years trying to figure them out.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Rodney
In Blake's 7 I want wit, crisp dialogue, powerful narrative and action adventure all in a single episode. I want to see a planet surface and at least one eccentric character. Add in some outrageous costumes and I'm happy. Thankfully that fits the majority of episodes.
Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: You could be looking at them.
Avon: What a depressing thought!

Spaceship Dispatcher
JustBrad wrote:

...it should be no surprise that in my opinion, the greatest thing ever put on film is the movie 'Casablanca.'

Another movie I have never actually seen, although I'm aware of it by reputation...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Rodney wrote:

In Blake's 7 I want wit, crisp dialogue, powerful narrative and action adventure all in a single episode. I want to see a planet surface and at least one eccentric character. Add in some outrageous costumes and I'm happy. Thankfully that fits the majority of episodes.

Sounds like most episodes of The Avengers too, although the planet we see the surface of is always the same one... Grin

Rodney
I think Blake's 7 and The Avengers have a huge amount in common. Glorious costumes, over-the-top sceanrios, surrealism, wonderfully diabolical masterminds. Many guest actors in common. Darrow compares his character to Steed, a secondary character who became the star.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Rodney wrote:

...Darrow compares his character to Steed, a secondary character who became the star.

Paul Darrow would say that... Grin

Rodney
as would Kerr Avon!

briggsy1
What do I look for? Characters I care about and that have believable motivations behind their actions. (ie. probably fleshed out characters NOT one-dimensional cardboard cutouts). Witty,sharp dialogue - a hallmark of B7 from the beginning. Great storylines that immerse you in the action & leave you wanting more at the end of each episode. Oh and I love the model work of Matt Irvine and others from B7 - modern day CGI leaves me feeling cold in comparison.
Something else that just occured to me as well: Straight-forward, linear plots that are each to understand and follow. The trouble with many modern sci-fi/fantasy dramas to me are i) too much technobabble/jargon; ii) confusing storylines that sometimes don't seem to make much sense iii) a plethora of sub-plots and sub-sub-plots.
Edited by briggsy1 on 05 January 2015 15:09:33

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.41 seconds
9,472,369 unique visits since 8th January 2014