Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
SC's Scorpio 'scratchbuild'.
Space Chopper
I must be mad. I've never even tried a scratchbuild before, save for a Tardis that I made for my Comet Miniatures Pat Troughton- but that's based on squares, so it was easy to work out the mechanics of how it went together. Scorpio is altogether a different animal, with lots of complex shapes and angles, and also tons of surface detail. Back in the eighties as a teenager, I knocked together a very rough approximation of Scorpio using one of those old Japanese macross space robot kits- looking back, it was terrible, but it did the job for me at the time. Inspired by the look of those wonderful Titan Find kits, but lacking the budget to splash out on one of those, I thought that a model of Scorpio would be forever beyond my reach- until now. I recently scanned Ebay for various science fiction kits, and my eyes beheld the Republic Star Destroyer from the Star Wars franchise, and thought- hmmm.

i.imgur.com/wGqr8To.jpg

It only cost me ten pounds, so it was worth a gamble. The model has nice panel lines all over, and the side panels have lots of busy gubbins going on, which I reaalised I could use as detail parts inside the open panels on the nose section and the engines- this won't be screen accurate, but I think it will certainly capture the feel of Scorpio once I get started. The bridge and conning tower are practically the same shape as Scorpio's flight deck section, and can be redressed with bits from the spare parts box to look more the part- one of the engine nozzles is the right size and shape to use as the base for the scanner dish assembly. The engine section I will have to make from plastic sheet, which will be a challenge, but if I plan the frame correctly, I can dress that with plastic panels suitably scribed with panel lines to match the main hull.

The next part involved cutting the Star Destroyer to bits to reassemble it to look more like Scorpio's nose section- the engine area will be detached from the hull pieces, and the hull re-cut to move those cut sections forward, to make Scorpio's nose section and the side docking bays.

i.imgur.com/XENwh1z.jpg

At the top of the picture is the underside of the kit untouched, to show the original shape. The bottom half shows the upper side of the kit, with the engine sections cut off and moved forward, where they will be the nose and docking bays of Scorpio- the protruding rear spars will now be attachment points for the framework that I will build the engines from. On one side of the nose section, I've begun dremelling holes into the kit, which will be the cutaway panels in the nose; parts from the kit that originally formed the front of the engine section will be put behind these to create the interior 'gubbins' of the ship, with some plastic rod added for the pipework. The sides of the kit, once joined, will be covered with plastic sheet, detailed with square panels as per the studio model- all the detailed stuff will be used for technical stuff in the cutaways in various places on Scorpio.
Edited by Space Chopper on 08 October 2014 09:57:22
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

exterminator
Yes, I see what you mean, it's a good basis for a scratch-built Scorpio.

Get chopping!! Grin
----------------------------------------

"There it is!"

Space Chopper
I've now completed all the cutting of the Star Destroyer's hull, and now added some of the detailed side panels underneath the dremmelled-out sections with added plastic rodding, to create the internal detail in the nose section. The cut pieces have now been put together and allowed to set.

http://i.imgur.co...

The next part is the tricky bit- creating the engine section. I'm going to use the technical manual blueprints, scaled-up to size with the model, to draw out front and rear bulkheads for the engine, which will be spaced apart with styrene pipe sections and anchored to the protruding spur that I kept at the aft of the nose section. Once the bulkheads have set, I'll add stringers from cut sprue that will create a skeleton of the engine section, which I can then clad with panels of plastic sheet, cut to shape and scribed with panel detail etched in with dental picks that I normally use for sculpting. I can then also clad the sides of the nose, fill all the gaps, and add surface detail. More pics as I make progress...
Edited by President Solvite on 18 October 2014 21:04:03
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg

Space Chopper
Update. I've done measurements on the blueprints and compared them to what I've built so far, and the model works out as 1.4 times bigger than the blueprints. That makes scaling up measurements pretty easy, and considering that what was built so far wasn't measured precisely, the fact that the measurements actually work out is a bonus, so it means anyone can try this and get pretty much the same result. Assuming that the scale measurements on the blueprints are correct, they claim Scorpio is 337 feet long, about 102 metres- the model will be 53 cm nose to tail, which will make the model about 1/200th scale.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg

President Solvite
I edited your earlier post to make it 'clickable' IMG code didn't seem to wanna work.

'Mod hat off and into fan mode'

I see what you mean, the basic shape is there, just time to start sculpting and cutting it into the basic hull shape..

The force is strong in this one .. Smile

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Spaceresearcher
Very interested to see how this turns out. Often wondered where the original Scorpio components came from.

Joe Dredd
SR, I've seen a great discussion where fans try to identify what kit went into (onto!) Scorpio. I'm pretty sure it was on the eagletransporter forum.

Spaceresearcher
Thanks Joe Dredd, I should frequent the eagle transporter forum more often, there's some terrific modellers on there. So helpful and informative.

Spaceresearcher
If anyone else is interested here is the forum I believe Joe Dredd is talking about:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6803&highlight=scorpio

Edited by mod (JD) to make link clickable.

Joe Dredd
That's the one!

I believe Exterminator of this parish is one of the esteemed members of that talented bunch.

Space Chopper
+ I AM MOST HUMBLY SORRY FOR THE EXTREME DELAY IN UPDATING MY PROGRESS MASTERS, MY OWNER HAS BEEN PREOCCUPIED WITH OTHER MATTERS THAT HAVE TAKEN UP HIS SPARE TIME. HE HAS MADE SOME PROGRESS, AND I AM A STEP NEARER COMPLETION. I DO HOPE THIS UPDATE WILL MEET YOUR SATISFACTION, GOOD SIRS. +

Thank you, Slave. Well, thanks all for showing interest in this project- as Slave so eloquently put it, I've had a fair few other things to do recently that have taken up my time, but I have managed to put some more work into the build. Again, please excuse the poor photos, as I still haven't managed to get my camera back yet!

So, the sides of the model have now been clad in plastic sheet and gaps filled with squadron green filler, and sanded. The mid-section was made again from plastic sheet, and some basic panel lines were scribed in using a steel ruler and dental picks. The sides of the mid-section are shorter than the upper and lower pieces, this is to help me when fitting the sloping side panels that connect this to the engine section.

Once that was set solid, I used my measurements, scaled up from the technical manual, and cut bulkheads for the engine section, front and rear. These are level with where the flat panels meet the sloping ones at the front, and the flat plane of the engine exhaust at the back, so that I can cut the flat panels to overlap it and provide an opening for the drive motors. These were attached to the mid-section, and spaced apart using solvent-weld pipe cut to the desired length. The extended spur at the back of the mid-section (From the front hull, as I'd cut it) was then anchored to the middle with plastic spacers taken from an old computer stand. The bulkheads were then connected fron-to-back on all angles with plastic sprue from the kit, cut to length. This will provide surfaces for the flat panels to anchor to once they've been cut. A flat panel was cut and mounted to the upper hull, which will provide a surface for the conning tower to sit on, once the gaps have been filled and sanded.

Here is a view of this assembly now, waiting to set solid. It's pretty hefty at 50 cms long!

i.imgur.com/FFH1fJz.jpg

As I've said, this won't be completely studio accurate, but it will certainly capture the feel of Scorpio from the series- it's already taking a recognisable shape. The conning tower from the star destroyer was then assembled, the power grids taken off the top with a razor saw, and the window frames for the observation deck of Scorpio were added from scale step-ladders from an old Airfix model (RAF Refueling Set for those taking notes), and the fins on the lower front sides of the flight deck added from scrap kit plastic. The conning tower makes a flight deck that's a bit wider than Scorpio's, but the shape is very close so as to make for not much work. Making it narrower would have been very difficult due to the complex angles of the kit parts, but people wanting a more screen-accurate model could probably cut and scratchbuild their own flight deck from plastic sheet. I'll add extended side units to it once it's in position on the main hull. Two of the engine parts were cut to shape and used to make the base of the scanner dish assembly, and the mast was made from bits of truck chassis from the same Airfix kit, with suitable wiring and cabling taken from the hose parts of the kit, while the scanner dish was made from engine plates from the Star Destroyer, and one of the fuel tank end pieces from the Airfix kit, cut to shape and scribed with panel detail with the ubiquitous dental pick. The centre probes of the scanner dish were made from other greeblies from the same Airfix kit. This will go on to the flat panel between the engines once they have been put in place. I also have a wealth of small panel details that I'll be putting all over the model on the sides and the engine as well, to busy up the look of the completed ship.

i.imgur.com/AcMoBHb.jpg

Sorry this is a bit blurred, but now I have recognisable Scorpio bits, it's inspiring me to soldier on to finish this!
Edited by Space Chopper on 21 November 2014 20:48:16
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg

President Solvite
Ahh thats coming on nicely... Smile

Please keep us informed!

Space Chopper
Spaceresearcher wrote:

If anyone else is interested here is the forum I believe Joe Dredd is talking about:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6803&highlight=scorpio

I had a look at that- very interesting! I knew about the Panther Tank engine fans, and I've got hold of a 1:72 scale Panther tank to get those bits from. Interesting to see that the stowage boxes were also used, so I can get a fair bit of milage from that kit now- I plan to use the gun mantlet and gun as part of the demolition laser under Scorpio's hull. Also interesting to see so many Millennium Falcon kit bits being used. I decided to take a hunch on a picture from this site: Small spaceships- ultimate Scorpio reference, specifically the ninth picture down, that shows the Scorpio model standing on it's tail while a model maker reaches out to it. Assuming he's around 6ft tall, I estimate that the studio prop was about 4'6" long, and my model works out at about 22" long, so also taking into account that they must have used the MPC kit of the Falcon (It was the only one available at the time) which is slightly smaller than 1/72 scale, then I'd need a Falcon kit of roughly 1/170 to 1/250 scale, give or take. Fine Molds do a 1/144 scale kit that's way out of my budget, but Revell do a snap-together easykit that scales at 1/241, and is nice and cheap. I ordered one from ebay for just over 7. It will need chopping to bits with a razor saw to get at the parts I need, but I'm not shy of using that saw now!

Space Chopper
Progress has been made after the Christmas break- I've finally clad the aft section framework with plastic sheet cut to shape, and put interior engine detail, taken from the Star Destroyer kit, behind the cut holes in the engine sections above and below. The parts are setting at the moment, and I have yet to add landing gear bays on the lower sections, bevels on the engine outlets and all the exterior detail. Once the parts have set and I've filled and sanded the gaps, I'll post up pics.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg

Space Chopper
So now at last the parts have been filled, sanded and set- and I have my camera back, so there are pictures!

i.imgur.com/F85AcyF.jpg
This is the communications array, now located on what was the cargo bay of the Star Destroyer, detailed with various greeblies from leftovers of this kit, a small-scale Millennium Falcon, and spares from the RAF Refuelling Set, as well as other parts from a Hasegawa kit of NATO ground-crew accessories. This kit has lots of detailed flat panels that I'll use to add to the panelling on the main hull. This drops into place between the engines, and I've left in in situ for the next shots, but it won't be glued in until I've painted Scorp.

i.imgur.com/XtjlvbM.jpg
This is almost rear-end on, and shows the engine bays, now clad in sheeting, filled and sanded. The landing gear bays have also been added, as has the front landing gear bay/weapons pod. The weapon is made from a small engine from the Star Destroyer and the main gun from a 1/76th scale Panther Tank- other bits of this tank will be used to add surface detail later on. The cutaways on the engines have shallow boxes mounted behind them, and halves of the Star Destroyer's main engines are mounted within those, as well as cut sections of sprue resembling piping.

i.imgur.com/UjxgiJc.jpg
Almost front end on, and you can see that I've added the strakes to the front edge of the cargo bays, between which I will house the secondary armament and sensor antennae.

i.imgur.com/svZRmjV.jpg
This is a side view, where you can see Scorpio finally taking shape. Spare greeblies from the Star Destroyer have been used on the front edge of the engine bay panels, and you can also see the landing gear bays more clearly. Also, on the flight deck, you can see two fuel tanks from that Panther Tank, mounted in place where the larger ones were on the studio prop.

Now comes the fun part, adding lots and LOTS of panels, greeblies and surface details to the model before painting it. Now that the model is beginning to look like Scorpio, I'm inspired more to crack on and finish it. Watch this space!!
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg

President Solvite
Looking superb, the only thing I want to know is when is the test flight? Pfft

Space Chopper
Thank you! Soon, hopefully. Putting all the detailing on will be painstaking, but the bulk of the work in getting the hull shape built is done. I've also found the perfect paint match for the ship, too. It's an acrylic aerosol paint made by Montana Gold, and the colour is called Terra.

i.imgur.com/nJAe90A.jpg

It seems to be the right balance of orange, yellow ochre and terracotta, without being too brown, too orange or too sandy in colour, as I've seen some examples done before.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg

exterminator
Great, looks really good! The colour looks like a good 'un!
----------------------------------------

"There it is!"

BradPaula
Very nice!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Lurena
Cool! Looks very good!
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.52 seconds