Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Updating SFX
Robe
Would Blake's 7 benefit from having new DVDs released with updated SFX? I think Star Trek the Original Series really benefited from this, no story was changed unlike George Lucas making Greedo fire firsts.Shock

President Solvite
In answer to your question I'm not sure that Blake's 7 would benefit with updated SFX, as it is mainly a character based series. Also some of the FX hold up well by todays standards (in my view) others not so much!!

However, I have seen several very impressive fan projects where episodes have been 'enhanced' with replacement CGI. They are very good to watch and it certainly adds another dimension to ones viewing.

As an 'art' form and having quite an interest in CGI generation myself it is certainly something that I personally am interested in. The enhanced ST - TOS in my view benefited more from the cleaned up studio footage than the CGI itself (good and interesting though it was). I would never want to replace completely the original FX as they have a charm of their own and being bit of a completist would want both options as the mood takes me.

My take anyway.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Robe
As long as there is an option for original and new on the DVD.

Ulysses3D
I like the original FX with the original show. It's all part of the "Blakes 7" atmosphere...

http://www.redbubble.com/people/ulysses3d
BradPaula
It really gets my goat what George Lucas did to his films. Sure, it's his to tinker with, but he should have left well enough alone. Greedo is a particular example! But I don't think Blake's 7 would be improved by any new-fangled special effects. As PS said above, B7 is character driven and as I mentioned more than 20 years ago and I think it still holds up, you could have the entire cast act in front of a white sheet with nothing for costumes but burlap sacks on and it would still be as interesting and compelling as the original. Don't fix what ain't broken is my motto.

And besides, we can't get the BBC to distribute the series in America, so why would they consider spending loads of cash doing the effects up for Britain. I just don't see the profit in that. And besides I love it the way it is. It encapsulates its time. That's my two pence worth. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Have not seen the Star Trek episodes with the new effects, but I like what's been done with the Doctor Who releases. The dvds come with the option to turn the new effects sequences on and off, and while some are completely new shots many are the old shots with new effects placed within them so its still the same show.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

President Solvite
Certainly I agree with if it were to happen they should do a similar job as they did with the Doctor Who DVDs, ie have an option for both (without changing the story)

I am certainly in favour in 'cleaning' up original footage ie. noise removal, film imperfections etc.. as they show up horribly on our new HD TVs (but leave things like strings, bloopers etc. as it is part of the original charm)

CGI sequencing is a nice 'extra' as an option rather than a replacement. In some areas George Lucas got it right (Rancor in RoJ) and others wrong (Han Solo and Greedo)

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
GoldChannel
I would certainly be interested. The opening CGI on the BBC DVD box sets are very impressive, and IMO the CGI recreation of the Liberator being pursued by two ships from the System is better even than the modelwork!

Robe
With Star Trek some examples of new SFX:
If a landing party beams down to a Science Base they will show a brief shot of the exterior of the base and planet service.
Likewise when the Enterprise orbits a planet you now get a detailed planet as opposed to a fuzzy globe.
When an android opens up his stomach to show his circuits it now looks like real as opposed to a fake stomach with naff circuits.
Ships pursued by the Enterprise look like shapes instead of fuzzy lights etc.

Ulysses3D
I personally do not like any of the CGI work on the Boxed Blake's 7 DVD's..I thought the ships were poorly modeled and lacked detail.

selden
I think that making such inflammatory remarks means that you're just trying to start an argument! I find the old-style physical models, well, charming. It's too bad so many of them were damaged or lost.
Selden

JustBrad
Ulysses3D wrote:

I personally do not like any of the CGI work on the Boxed Blake's 7 DVD's..I thought the ships were poorly modeled and lacked detail.

Well, it's only there as a lead into the main menu, it's not like they were trying to re imagine the series.
Not exactly Industrial Light and Magic, but better than a blank screen or the set backdrop you get on many
Red Dwarf DVDs.

JustBrad
selden wrote:

I think that making such inflammatory remarks means that you're just trying to start an argument! I find the old-style physical models, well, charming. It's too bad so many of them were damaged or lost.

I agree. The old models are part of the charm. This series was made in the 70's, not the 21st century.

Not sure who you're responding to, but I fail to see anything inflammatory or argumentative, just folks stating their opinions.
But then again, it is so hard to detect sarcasm or irony in a forum post.

Asimov
Hi all,

Well I actually thought about re-creating a lot of the ships in 3D and did build the Liberator. It is not as good as it could have been and fully intend to rebuild it at some point, but I have had very little time lately.

I did do a short 48 second test, but nothing serious. This was done quite a number of years ago, and the best comment I had was "Is this meant to be funny" LOL.

Here is the link
http://youtu.be/B...

Honestly my modelling has improved now heh heh, and I could probably make a more convincing 3D scene now heh heh.

BradPaula
I got a good laugh out of your link, Asimov. Great fun! -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

meegat39
Hee hee!!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Ulysses3D
I also have Modeled the Blake's 7 Ships in 3D. I just love the original models.

www.blakes7online.com/images/photoalbum/album_4/ps2.jpg

www.blakes7online.com/images/photoalbum/album_4/dsv2-liberator.jpg

GoldChannel
^^^
those are amazing!!!!!! Smile Smile

Ulysses3D
Thank you Smile

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.41 seconds
9,130,929 unique visits since 8th January 2014