Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 4
RB, BradPaula, littlesue, trevor travis

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
All those Babylon 5 moments that we have seen before in B7
Hugbot
The title is of of course inspired by Spaceresearcher’s corresponding DW thread - thank you!

Some years ago I treated myself to a complete B5 rewatch after I had seen the whole lot of B7, and there were many moments when I said to myself: Now this looks/sounds pretty familiar!
As I go on rambling about this every now and then, I finally decided to compile a list.

Warning: If you have not yet watched Babylon 5 (why not?), there will be at least one major spoiler!

Passim: Babylon 5 is a free port with many docking yards and the so-called Zocalo full of bars and gambling dens.
Gambit: Freedom City is a free port with many docking yards and the so-called Rink full of bars and gambling dens.

Passim: The Shadows, the Vorlons and the Icarans all use organic technology.
Cygnus Alpha: According to Avon the technology of Liberator has an ‘organic feel’. What we see of it does not look very organic, but you can imagine young JMS making a mental note.

The Gathering/The Illusion of Truth: Remote-controlled flying cameras.
Deathwatch: Remote-controlled flying cameras.

The Parliament of Dreams: Messenger: Are you Ambassador G’Kar? G’Kar: This is Ambassador G’Kar’s quarters, this is Ambassador G’Kar’s table, this is Ambassador G’Kar’s dinner. Which part of this progression escapes you?
Gold: Keiller: This is the Space Princess, this is the purser’s office of the Space Princess, and this is the purser of the Space Princess.

A Voice in the Wilderness: A tunnel deep in the heart of Epsilon 3 is protected by automated ray guns that are triggered by movement sensors. Our heroes throw small objects into the tunnel in order to find out how far the protected zone extends.
Pressure Point: A corridor deep in the heart of Control is protected by automated ray guns that are triggered by movement sensors. Our heroes throw small objects into the corridor in order to find out how far the protected zone extends.

Eyes: In a dream Ivanova sees her mother being harassed by two Psi Corps agents.
Space Fall: In a vision Jenna sees her mother being harassed by two Federation troopers.

Season 2 onward: Among the Minbari Cpt. Sheridan is nick-named ‘Star Killer’.
Trial: Among the Federation military Admiral Samor is nick-named ‘Star Killer’.

The Geometry of Shadows: The order of the Techno-Mages uses high technology in the guise of mysticism.
Weapon: The order of the Clone Masters uses high technology in the guise of mysticism.

Spider in the Web: In the secret Lazarus project the Earth government tried to convert deceased soldiers into zombie-like cyborgs without memory of their previous life.
SLD onward: In the mutoid project the Federation converts humans to zombie-like cyborgs without memory of their previous life.

A Race Through Dark Places: Sheridan indulges in telling feeble jokes. Sheridan: Knock, knock. Susan: Who’s there? Sheridan: Kosh! Susan: Kosh who? Sheridan: Gesundheit!
Ultraworld: Vila indulges in telling feeble jokes. Vila: Knock, knock. Orac: Who’s there? Vila: Atch! Orac: Atch who? Vila: Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t know you had a cold!

Hunter, Prey: A physician who knows a dangerous secret hides in a free port. Our heroes and the bad guys try to find him.
Gambit: A physician who knows a dangerous secret hides in a free port. Our heroes and the bad guys try to find him.
(And by the way, Garibaldi wears the same hat as Docholli!)

Comes the Inquisitor: A strange guy in Victorian garb interrogates Delenn by use of his cane that is actually a high-tech device and can inflict neural pain.
Dawn of the Gods: A strange guy in Victorian garb interrogates our heroes by use of his cane that is actually a high-tech device and can inflict neural pain.

War Without End Part II: Susan: How did you know they were coming? Marcus: Didn’t. But right now would be the worst time to be discovered, so it was logical it would happen now.
Aftermath: Servalan: You don’t sound surprised. Avon: Why should I? It has a perverse kind of logic to it. Our meeting is the most unlikely happening I could imagine. Therefore, we meet.

The Face of the Enemy: The camera moves into Garibaldis’s eye so that we can witness how the Psi Corps manipulated him.
The Way Back: The camera moves into Blake’s eye so that we can witness how the Federation manipulated him.

Z’ha’doum: Sheridan’s wife Anna who is presumed dead suddenly appears. Sheridan finds out that she works for the enemy and is forced to kill her.
Rumours of Death: Avon’s lover Anna who is presumed dead suddenly appears. Avon finds out that she worked for the enemy and is forced to kill her.

I’m sure I missed out many, many other incidents. Any additions or comments?

BradPaula
Hugbot, you are absolutely correct in all of your examples. And I urge any fan who hasn't partaken of Babylon 5 to do so- it's a great program. But what do you make of Zathras? Does he fit into Blake's 7? (Just joking- the character is a bit strange and funny at the same time.)

We have always thought of Sheridan's wife, Anna, as concrete proof Joe Straczynski's obsession with Blake's 7. Great job! -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

JustBrad
I like Zathras, but I can't stand Zathras.

Blake's 7, Babylon 5, and Farscape are the holy trinity of television science fiction as far as I'm concerned.
Edited by JustBrad on 24 September 2014 19:57:30

Grade Four Ignorant
J. Michael Straczynski has said that Blake's 7 is one of his favourite television shows.

At the Wolf 359 convention in 1997, a special surprise was arranged by the organisers - Straczynski was awarded the Best Science-Fiction Series award as part of that year's SFX Awards, and to his surprise it was awarded to him by Gareth Thomas in full costume as Blake.

Here's a photograph of Gareth back in costume as Blake.

web.archive.org/web/20031005131054/http://www.waveney.demon.co.uk/whoswho/other_role/picts2/WOLF359.jpeg

Angry Angel
Great list Hugbot! Despite being a massive B5 fan, and knowing that JMS was a fan of B7, I never made all those specific connections.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
rojkerr1
saw that gareth Thomas presentation, Straczynski was surprised and very touched, and he referred to watching Blakes 7 and said it was so effing cool! Couldn't agree more...

BradPaula
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

J. Michael Straczynski has said that Blake's 7 is one of his favourite television shows.

At the Wolf 359 convention in 1997, a special surprise was arranged by the organisers - Straczynski was awarded the Best Science-Fiction Series award as part of that year's SFX Awards, and to his surprise it was awarded to him by Gareth Thomas in full costume as Blake.

Here's a photograph of Gareth back in costume as Blake.

web.archive.org/web/20031005131054/http://www.waveney.demon.co.uk/whoswho/other_role/picts2/WOLF359.jpeg

We were lucky enough to see the video of this at a local convention. Sheelagh Wells brought it along with her, and it was so well received, she played it twice and we were in awe. Straczynski seemed absolutely stunned that one of his early heroes appeared as if out of nowhere to give him the award. I think Sheelagh did a great job recreating both costume and make up. What a sweetheart Sheelagh is to the fans! -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Frankymole
1997? Incredible. Gareth looks virtually unchanged from 1981.

rojkerr1
When I was at the Longleat dr who celebration many years ago I helped Sheelagh wells carry in some of her exhibits, make up for Mawdryn Undead etc -and Gareth T was helping her too, think they were still married then. It was amazing seeing peoples reaction to him, and queuing with Blake to get an ice cream was priceless...!

Hugbot
BradPaula wrote:

But what do you make of Zathras? Does he fit into Blake's 7?

Well, of course - he is quite a hairy guy, and hairy guys Pfft tend to get cult status in B7!

But seriously, thank you all for sharing the Wolf 359 story. I had never heard of that before, but it makes one feel proud to know that the creator of one of the best sci-fi shows ever is really one of us! I did a little research and found this little account on the event on hermits.org (although Horizon is mentioned in a not very favourable way): http://www.hermit...lf359.html

Hugbot
Addendum:

Convictions: In the 23rd century computers are still bad in face recognition. Therefore, Brother Theo and his group of monks have to painstakingly sift through the footage of the security cameras in order to find out who blew up several facilities on Babylon 5.
Star Drive: In the 3rd century of the 2nd calendar computers are quite stubborn. Therefore, the crew of Scorpio has to painstakingly sift through the footage of the external cameras in order to find out what blew up several Federation pursuit ships.

The Hour of the Wolf: At the beginning of the last chapter of his evil career, Mr Mordon appears on Centauri Prime dressed as a monk.
Star One: At the beginning of the last chapter of his evil career, Travis appears on Star One dressed as a monk.

Please tell me when this becomes obsessive ...

JustBrad
Garibaldi: You can't save them all.
Sheridan: We'll see.

President Solvite
Babylon 5 such a superb series...

Must watch it again soon at some point

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.42 seconds
9,817,971 unique visits since 8th January 2014