Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Nosy question for ye olde B7 fans and other knowledgable people
Travisina
Lorna wrote:

Grade Four Ignorant wrote:[/b][/url]

I love The Motion Picture, because it's the closest we'd get to Roddenberry's vision without interference from others.

Like The Cage, it's a very cerebral and philosophical work. More about big ideas than gun battles.

Even the pastel uniforms have grown on me. My favourite uniforms though will always be the red tunics introduced in The Wrath of Khan.

I agree. I loved this movie and was very surprised to find others didn't!!Angry

I didn't love it, but I did like it a lot. I agree with G4I about it being cerebral and philosophical, and the story had a good weight and gravitas to it. And didn't the Enterprise look gorgeous up there on a big screen? We take it for granted now, but in 1979 that was pretty darned impressive.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

rojkerr1
Basic remake of the Changeling, but the directors cut was ok, would have preferred harlan Ellisons idea about the reptile aliens going back in time to save the dinosaurs and let them evolve into the dominant race on earth

guiser
Hugbot wrote:

I still remember when they did a re-run of Raumpatrouille after many, many years. That was such an exciting event that we sometimes gathered at a friend’s home to watch it together (trying to spot the infamous flat iron that was clearly visible in the sets)....

I've always been curious about non-Anglosphere scifi and this is one of few such shows that I was aware of (outside of cartoons). I've always fancied seeing it, but unfortunately there seems to be no version with English subtitles.

Hugbot wrote: Over here in Germany, we were also limited to what the powers that be deemed suitable for the audience. At that time, we only had the official public networks. The guys who devised the programmes were only interested in their very own policy and not in what the public wanted to see. Science fiction was considered children’s stuff, and they dubbed Star Trek accordingly. (They substantially altered and even recut Amok Time in order to remove the ... erm ... biological aspects!) What’s more, they only showed half of the episodes. The audience demaned to see more, but the people in charge remained adamant: The missing episodes were ‘brutal and tasteless’, so they would not be shown. You can imagine that people who categorise e.g. Let That Be Your Last Battlefield as ‘brutal and tasteless’ will give a series like Blake’s 7 a wide berth!

Whereas the BBC and commercial networks really sacred the bejesus out of kids with their programming! Though I now have no memory of watching the show, I'm pretty sure I must have caught some episodes of "Survivors" at a very tender age, because the premise does sound familiar, I recognise the music and when I played the theme tune on Youtube I experienced a real frisson of fear! I also remember a show called "The Changes" (which I do vaguely remember) scaring me quite a bit. Most of my kiddie tv memories seem to involve being scared or squicked by something!

B7 doesn't particularly stand out as scarier than other programmes of the period. Indeed, I think disturbing dystopias were pretty much a speciality of British tv in those days! I could never really adjust to later less-cynical US scifi/fantasy (though I quite liked original Star Trek) after a childhood of that kind of stuff!
Edited by guiser on 03 October 2014 19:44:40

guiser
Joe Dredd wrote:

Grade Four Ignorant wrote:
I'm sure the three novelisations played a part.

We tended to ignore them because of various differences to the episodes as they were broadcast.... Also, not everyone was in favour of adopting the world-building that came out of his [Hoyle's] narratives (North-Europ Dome, paraguns, etc).

Amusingly, I've just read a Sheila Paulson fic that mentions paraguns, but I take your point!

Joe Dredd wrote:
BradPaula wrote:
The old pencil and paper days when we'd be happy for a newsletter every quarter year and the same for the letterzine which came about later. Imagine reading someone's post, replying to it and reading it 3 months- or more- later. Talk about snail mail.

Instant is great, but the wait created a lot of excitement when a newsletter suddenly arrived in the mail.

The LoCs (Letters of Comment) were always a worthwhile chunk of the Horizon n/l, and I always loved letterzines, like Horizon's Letterzine and Neutral Arbiter, etc. Great chunks of received wisdom can be found fossilised in those old tomes.

The LOCs are my favourite bit of the old Horizon n/ls and though I've got a lot of fanzines, I'd love to get more letterzines. They are rare as hen's teeth on ebay. In fact I've never actually seen a copy of Horizon Letterzine or Neutral Arbiter for sale.

As you imply, a lot of old fan tropes evolved through these letterzines and it is a shame not to be able to read them. Folks may have waited a long time for replies, but this seems to have resulted in people writing longer more considered replies. Indeed, I understand that Horizon letterzine was actually set up because many letters were too long to be printed in a general newsletter in their entirety. Maybe someone will put some of this stuff up on the web some day (pretty please!)

Joe Dredd wrote:

guiser wrote:
Now I'm getting visions of Blakes 7 - The Musical (mind you some fanwriter has probably had a go at that already!)

Most definitely! I can think of a couple of different stabs at it, but for me the one that leaps immediately to mind is Danny Murphy's "Fiddler on the Run" which appeared in the huge and much-pirated "Opus" edition of the fanzine Enararre (AKA the Big Black One).

..There have been other takes on this idea, with probably the most recent being John Callaghan's attempt for the Wife & Blake project: Click!

Um, I 've actually got the Big Black zine (and probably an original too, from the looks of it!), so I'll have a look at Mr Murphy's effort. I'm afraid this giant tome got stuck at the back of my "to-read" pile. It is a bit unwieldy for a bedtime read!

Thanks for the link to the Wife and Blake musical thing. Like Little Sue, I am very tickled by the "Someone left my Blake out in the rain" bit. The images!

Supreme Commander
guiser wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

Grade Four Ignorant wrote:
I'm sure the three novelisations played a part.

We tended to ignore them because of various differences to the episodes as they were broadcast.... Also, not everyone was in favour of adopting the world-building that came out of his [Hoyle's] narratives (North-Europ Dome, paraguns, etc).

Amusingly, I've just read a Sheila Paulson fic that mentions paraguns, but I take your point!

Joe Dredd wrote:
BradPaula wrote:
The old pencil and paper days when we'd be happy for a newsletter every quarter year and the same for the letterzine which came about later. Imagine reading someone's post, replying to it and reading it 3 months- or more- later. Talk about snail mail.

Instant is great, but the wait created a lot of excitement when a newsletter suddenly arrived in the mail.

The LoCs (Letters of Comment) were always a worthwhile chunk of the Horizon n/l, and I always loved letterzines, like Horizon's Letterzine and Neutral Arbiter, etc. Great chunks of received wisdom can be found fossilised in those old tomes.

The LOCs are my favourite bit of the old Horizon n/ls and though I've got a lot of fanzines, I'd love to get more letterzines. They are rare as hen's teeth on ebay. In fact I've never actually seen a copy of Horizon Letterzine or Neutral Arbiter for sale.

As you imply, a lot of old fan tropes evolved through these letterzines and it is a shame not to be able to read them. Folks may have waited a long time for replies, but this seems to have resulted in people writing longer more considered replies. Indeed, I understand that Horizon letterzine was actually set up because many letters were too long to be printed in a general newsletter in their entirety. Maybe someone will put some of this stuff up on the web some day (pretty please!)

This thread is really bringing back some old memories. As Travisina said, the old Horizon Club meetings centred around the TV and videos - I was lucky enough to have acquired Season 1 from copies made by someone on an old Phillips VCR (before VHS and Betamax took over) and bought myself a VCR of my own just in time for Season 2 so had all off-air copies from S2 all the way through to 'Blake'. I still have them even though of course I have all the DVDs and don't need them but can't bear to throw them away they were such an important part of my life.

So yes, I shared my 'treasure' with the club members and we'd watch episodes together in my house in Wembley, then discuss afterwards. Special days.

As for the Letterzines - I do actually have a couple of 'full sets' for sale - email me on horizonb7 (the @ symbol) dsl.pipex.com if you're interested - I need to check exactly what's there and work out a sensible price for them but happy to help.

My new(ish) RL job has a massive scanner which I'm allowed to use and I'm gradually hauling stuff in to work to scan (including scripts for those of you who've been asking - I very recently found my boxes of scripts that had gone missing for a while and am getting them all scanned. NOT an easy task as they are so old the pages don't feed properly so the scan gets about a third of the way through and then jams the machine. I can only do them during my lunch break and don't always get a lunch break, so it's been taking a while.

Will add scanning the Letterzines to the list of Things To Scan...

Space Chopper
Travisina wrote:
I didn't love it, but I did like it a lot. I agree with G4I about it being cerebral and philosophical, and the story had a good weight and gravitas to it. And didn't the Enterprise look gorgeous up there on a big screen? We take it for granted now, but in 1979 that was pretty darned impressive.

I've always preferred the refitted movie version of Enterprise compared to the TV series- the lines seem cleaner and the proportions look better somehow- and the 'aztec' pattern of different metal panels made the ship look more real than flat plain surfaces. The version in the JJ Abrams films combines the best of both- the TV shape with the movie detailing, with just enough difference to make it stand out. I think I'm one of the very few that loved the Abrams films as well- he managed to capture the feel of the classic TV series wonderfully well, and bring it bang up to date.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

rojkerr1
The Changes just out on dvd

guiser
Supreme Commander wrote:

This thread is really bringing back some old memories. As Travisina said, the old Horizon Club meetings centred around the TV and videos - I was lucky enough to have acquired Season 1 from copies made by someone on an old Phillips VCR (before VHS and Betamax took over) and bought myself a VCR of my own just in time for Season 2 so had all off-air copies from S2 all the way through to 'Blake'. I still have them even though of course I have all the DVDs and don't need them but can't bear to throw them away they were such an important part of my life.

So yes, I shared my 'treasure' with the club members and we'd watch episodes together in my house in Wembley, then discuss afterwards. Special days.

My new(ish) RL job has a massive scanner which I'm allowed to use and I'm gradually hauling stuff in to work to scan ....Will add scanning the Letterzines to the list of Things To Scan...

Ooh, I really wondered if anyone in the fandom had series 1 or even series 2 copies in the early days! They must have been rarer than rare! I've since found out via the B7 article on fanlore (www.fanlore.org) that the very earliest US fans had "camera copies" which were filmed with an external film camera pointed at the tv screen!!! (presumably made by someone in the U.K?).

It is good to hear that you are scanning stuff, because it would be a shame if the history of both the fandom and the programme became completely inaccessible to people. It is odd that, through you can find out a lot about the history of say U.S. Star Trek fandom, this really isn't true of other fandoms. It is hard to get a sense of even so large a fandom as Dr Who (possibly because UK-centric?). Mind you, I'd be grateful if someone would just write a comprehensive book about Blakes 7 itself!
Edited by guiser on 09 October 2014 18:50:53

guiser
rojkerr1 wrote:

Thanks for the info!

Released by the BFI! I must have been a classy kid! (where did it all go wrong? Grin )
I'll stick it on the wish list. However, I'm making my next priority B7 actor spin-offs.
Edited by guiser on 09 October 2014 18:56:11

rojkerr1
it is very good, nice booklet and documentary on the asian experience in britain, linked
to sikh elements of story

BradPaula
rojkerr1 wrote:

I believe this is a photo from an episode of The Changes, starring our own Del Grant, Tom Chadbon. Must see about getting this series now.

i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/BradPaula/michael.jpg
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

rojkerr1
recommended Paula, the trilogy of Changes books good too, although they were written in the wrong order, last first!
least the bbc finished this series off instead of leaving it hanging, like the Survivors remake and the tripods,- pity big finish didn't adapt the Pool of fire, and the prequel, when the tripods came

BradPaula
Thanks for all the info, Rojkerr. I remember watching The Tripods on our Public Broadcasting system and thinking it had potential, but I believe we only got one series and it never had an ending. Years later I found 'The White Mountains' novel but still- waiting for a resolution of the series. It seems ripe for a remounting. And the Tripods, like the War of the World martian vehicles, were frankly scary.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Space Chopper
I loved the SFX on the Tripods, although I never got the chance to see series 2, as I was dating the person who would later be my first wife! I bought and read the novels avidly, and also wish they made series 3- I think Big Finish doing it would be a great idea! I also thought the BBC could re-use the models to do a proper version of War Of The Worlds. I have the DVD set now, so I'll be watching that with my better half soon.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Spaceship Dispatcher
Tried to watch Tripods but gave up after about four episodes, just couldn't get into it...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

President Solvite
Tripods is an excellent story by John Christopher, unfortunately the BBC gave up on it just before the exciting climax..

It builds steadily, and worth sticking with.

The last book shows what the BBC missed out on. They did many things well, early CGI for the intro, a haunting music track and an excellent cast. Yes it does lumber a bit but it does let you appreciate the world, post alien invasion.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
guiser
It is all coming back to me. I read all those Changes books and I initially thought the title of the programme was "Heartease", which is the title of one of the books. I don't remember Mr Chabdon being in it ! Maybe I'm remembering the books as much as the tv series?

I remember feeling pretty lukewarm towards Tripods. I've never liked shows with lots of teenagers in the cast and I don't think I was keen on some of the acting. Maybe the leads lacked charisma? I read the books later and found them much better (though you could tell they were aimed at teenagers).

rojkerr1
heartsease is a tug! Good name though

Hugbot
guiser wrote:

Hugbot wrote:

I still remember when they did a re-run of Raumpatrouille after many, many years. That was such an exciting event that we sometimes gathered at a friend’s home to watch it together (trying to spot the infamous flat iron that was clearly visible in the sets)....

I've always been curious about non-Anglosphere scifi and this is one of few such shows that I was aware of (outside of cartoons). I've always fancied seeing it, but unfortunately there seems to be no version with English subtitles.

I enjoyed your reminiscences about the early days of British fandom so much that I did not want to derail this thread by further commenting on the RP business, but as the discussion seems to have petered out by now, let me say this:

Yes, unfortunately there is no proper version with subtitles. Ten years ago they did a compilation movie that got theatrical release in English speaking countries and was thus subtitled. It was called Back from the Future or the 'Producer’s Cut'. But never watch that! They recut the existing material to a 90min film and inserted some very silly new material, featuring a newscaster who gives some information to hold the pieces together. This is all done in a tongue-in-cheek manner, even with fake (and utterly ridiculous) commercials Shock. Lead actor Dietmar Schoenherr was furious about this cheap attempt to take the mickey out of the series. Angry

On YouTube you can find all seven original episodes, and there are at least two people who uploaded the series with ‘English’ subtitles. But these are no professional translations. From what I have seen, these subtitles are at best ridiculous if not outright unintelligible. (Yes, I know, that sounds a bit like the pot calling the kettle black ...) Maybe there is somewhere a version with decent subtitles, but I haven’t found one yet.

At least you can have a glimpse at the opening credits:

http://www.youtub...AvjMHs7U7I

That’s what I grew up with. By the way, the title score has cult status over here! Enjoy!

guiser
Hugbot wrote:

guiser wrote:

Hugbot wrote:

I enjoyed your reminiscences about the early days of British fandom so much that I did not want to derail this thread by further commenting on the RP business, but as the discussion seems to have petered out by now, let me say this:

Yes, unfortunately there is no proper version with subtitles. Ten years ago they did a compilation movie that got theatrical release in English speaking countries and was thus subtitled. It was called Back from the Future or the 'Producer’s Cut'. But never watch that! They recut the existing material to a 90min film and inserted some very silly new material, featuring a newscaster who gives some information to hold the pieces together. This is all done in a tongue-in-cheek manner, even with fake (and utterly ridiculous) commercials Shock. Lead actor Dietmar Schoenherr was furious about this cheap attempt to take the mickey out of the series. Angry

On YouTube you can find all seven original episodes, and there are at least two people who uploaded the series with ‘English’ subtitles. But these are no professional translations. From what I have seen, these subtitles are at best ridiculous if not outright unintelligible. (Yes, I know, that sounds a bit like the pot calling the kettle black ...) Maybe there is somewhere a version with decent subtitles, but I haven’t found one yet.

At least you can have a glimpse at the opening credits:

http://www.youtub...AvjMHs7U7I

That’s what I grew up with. By the way, the title score has cult status over here! Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I wish I could remember my school German, but I only retained it long enough to pass the exam. I'd be lucky to recognise one word in 10! However I remember chanting - der die das die, den die das die, des der des der, dem der dem den. What you are actually meant do with these words I do not quite remember.. LOL! I wish I had your facility with languages.

Your story about the spoof "Raumpatrouille" version reminds me of a more extreme example involving a dubbed French programme that was shown on British children's tv called "The Flashing Blade" (which also had a very memorable theme song). They repeated it 10 or 15 years later with a completely different spoof comedy soundtrack, which the internet informs me was written by Russell T Davies of all people!

The "Flashing Blade theme" is here https://www.youtu...-ZEDNkZ2L4. It would make an interesting tune for a B7 fan vid, I think...
Edited by guiser on 24 October 2014 13:33:30

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.64 seconds
9,853,507 unique visits since 8th January 2014