Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
2.1 Scimitar *spoilers*
BradPaula
Thetis wrote:

Paula, have you listened to the Scimitar Extras yet?

No to Thetis and Travisina. We haven't gotten the disc yet. It will be at least another week for it to get over to us in the USofA, and being of a certain age, I'd rather have the disc in hand than download it, but hey, that's me. But I was tipped off that I would love the extras on the disc and now I am bouncing off the walls waiting to hear what my friends are hinting at. Grin I also decided that I would stop reading this thread as not to read any spoilers! But thanks for thinking of me gals, and I hope very soon to be swooning to those dulcet tones of my favorite mercenary. Cheers! And keeping an eagle-eye out for the mail man and my latest Big Finish package.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Space Chopper
Mine came through the post today- I'm another 'must have the CD' type! I'll give it a listen on Monday, as I'm working nights at the moment- but I have something to look forward to, a new B7 season!
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Gauda Cheese
I am soooo far behind. I still need Libby 8 and 9
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

blencathra
Once again I'm loving what Big Finish are doing with Blake's 7. I thought this one was totally gripping.

And the Extras made me laugh...

Space Chopper
Loved that- had me on the edge of my seat! Bring on Fortuitas!
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

BradPaula
Well, you can all stop your *spoiler alert* mode as I have finally gotten the time to listen to Scimitar. As with all the other Full Cast Audios, this story is a cracker and I really enjoyed it. I think the 'franchise' is in good hands with Cavan Scott at the wheel, along with Jason Haigh-Ellery and Nicholas Briggs as executive producers of this set of Full Cast Audios.

As to the 'Extras'..... I don't want to spoil anything for anyone but suffice it to say I was blown away- shocked- amazed- thrilled- humble- and only a tiny bit embarrassed by it all. After 30 long hard years as a Blake's 7 fan, I guess all the hard work finally paid off..... enjoy!

Steve Rogerson
Here is my review of Scimitar:

http://wizzley.co...ig-finish/

Joe Dredd
I got this for Christmas but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I'm almost at the end of my current CD set ("The Missing Hancocks"), so it's going on soon.

I'm desperately hoping Orac's first line isn't - yet again - an exasperated "What is it now?". (I was thinking of reviewing all the first series full audios and this is one of the things I was going to keep a count on.)

BradPaula
I loved the story Scimitar by Trevor Baxendale. But after listening to it for the third time I think I've discovered an error in canon. In the prologue, Avon and the crew are wondering where Dayna has gone. She's left the Liberator, and Avon questions first Zen then Orac about her disappearance. When Avon questions Zen, the computer answers, "I have been instructed...." Like I said, it didn't hit me until the third time through, numpty me, that Zen referred to itself as 'I'. The computer only used that mode of speech when the Liberator was breaking up, and Zen was dying as Vila questioned it in the episode Terminal. So a small but noticeable little mistake in an otherwise brilliant story.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Avon: "He's right..."
Vila: "I am?"
Avon: "Don't make me say it twice..."

Lol Grin Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
"The name is Grant... Del Grant"

Happy
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
First impressions are that Scimitar was good, with nothing that stood out as wrong but nothing that especially impressed me either. Once again Big Finish have fallen into the trap of placing the focus on what characters do rather what they say or the ideas that words when well written can convey; telling such visual stories imo bypasses the principal strength of audio and seems a strange creative direction to take in a specifically non-visual medium! All the performances were however very good, and the Avon/Vila rapport was especially well recreated. I was worried at one point that the device discovered by Grant was my pan genre transition machine, so much did this feel like the characters had wandered into Star Trek:TNG by mistake, but fortunately it turned out to be some other McGuffin instead...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Just listened to the extras, and loved Paula's moment of fame! Congratulations, it was great to hear one of our own mentioned on the same disc as a new episode. What did have me laughing and shaking my head in disbelief was Justin Richards saying that his vision of s3/C is of the crew, with Blake no longer there to lead them, having to 'learn to stand on their own two feet' unquote. Hahaha, Lol! That is just so wrong on so many levels, it's actually quite scary coming from a key member of the creative team!

BradPaula
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

"The name is Grant... Del Grant"

Happy

"And I like my scotch right out of the bottle, none of that shaken not stirred nonsense for me". (Takes a long pull on the bottle and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand).

Hey SD, want to write a story together?Angry

Also: Thanks, SD. I was as surprised and pleased as you were to hear my name mentioned. To say they know me at Big Finish is a bit of an understatement.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Cally's grief and anger when Grant is believed to be lost make for a very powerful scene, with terrific performances by Jan Chappell and Paul Darrow.

@ Travisina - catching up with your review of this production again now that I have listened to it, the above comment was one that caught my attention. Most certainly the scene was exceptionally well realised by the cast, and well directed by Lisa Bowerman, but in terms of the characters involved and from a writing point of view it seemed out of character to me; the basis for the fan speculation over the years about a possible Cally/Avon relationship is the way that on screen they do seem to have an emotional understanding. Cally losing it at Avon in such a personal and confrontational manner, even being quite insulting about Avon as a person, in front of the rest of the crew did not sit well for me. Stress can make people say things they don't mean of course, but the exchange still came across imo as a contrived way to inject some shouting into the narrative. Blake's 7 pre-Terminal is not imo known for heated, snipey conflict scenes like this.

meegat39
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:Cally losing it at Avon in such a personal and confrontational manner, even being quite insulting about Avon as a person, in front of the rest of the crew did not sit well for me. Stress can make people say things they don't mean of course, but the exchange still came across imo as a contrived way to inject some shouting into the narrative. Blake's 7 pre-Terminal is not imo known for heated, snipey conflict scenes like this.

I have to admit I too was surprised at the behaviour of Cally in this story. I'm not entirely sure I felt it was something she wouldn't do though. I think I need to listen again, it's been quite a while!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Anniew
Perhaps the exchange came after Sargophogus when he rejected her publicly.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

Perhaps the exchange came after Sargophogus when he rejected her publicly.

LCs 3.1-3.3 and 9.1-9.3, and full cast series 2.1-2.6 form a continuous mini-series narrative placed between Death-Watch and Terminal.

Anniew
SD there you go then! Rejected and hostile.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

SD there you go then! Rejected and hostile.

Only if you believe that Cally became hostile, or even felt rejected that deeply, after the events of that episode.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.53 seconds
9,143,089 unique visits since 8th January 2014