Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
A History & Critical Analysis of "Blake's 7"
GoldChannel
BradPaula wrote:

there is a photo of mine in the book. The proudest thing for me in my long life in Blake's 7 fandom. -Paula

fantastic! Smile

guiser
BradPaula wrote:
And not to pat myself on the back, but I will, there is a photo of mine in the book. The proudest thing for me in my long life in Blake's 7 fandom. -Paula

Oooh! And which photo is that then? And is there a story around its inclusion?

I will admire you contribution, if I can just find the book. It is well and truly awol at the moment, but no doubt nestling somewhere under a pile of other books. Or possibly disappeared into a box of fanzines. I'll just have to keep looking!

BradPaula
guiser wrote:

BradPaula wrote:
And not to pat myself on the back, but I will, there is a photo of mine in the book. The proudest thing for me in my long life in Blake's 7 fandom. -Paula

I will admire you contribution, if I can just find the book. It is well and truly awol at the moment, but no doubt nestling somewhere under a pile of other books. Or possibly disappeared into a box of fanzines. I'll just have to keep looking!

Now I'm embarrassed! <grin>. When Sheelagh Wells and husband Joe Nazzaro were putting together the book, Sheelagh tapped Supreme Commander Diane for any photos Horizon had to include in the text. One photo I had taken and submitted for publication in the old Horizon News/Letterzine was one I took at a Vision's convention in Chicago in the early 1990's. Sheelagh was often invited to the con and would host a make-up seminar and of course we always attended. The photo is on the book's page 75 and shows Sheelagh displaying what I believe are gelatin elf ears. In front of her is the wig from Verlis in Assassin, the silver braided one. Sheelagh always held a very interesting and up close and personal seminar. She would allow us to actually handle the props- prosthetics, and wigs. I have told the story before, but while Sheelagh passed around the Verlis wig for us to examine, one strand of hair got caught on my watch stem and the only way for me to get untangled was to pull the hair off the wig itself. I didn't notice this for a few moments until I saw this silver hair stuck on my watch. I did what any devoted fan would do- carefully retrieved the hair, wound it in a small circle, and placed it for safe keeping in a tissue. I still have that hair and it's a treasured artifact of Blake's 7 for me. Strange but true! -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

guiser
BradPaula wrote:

guiser wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

Now I'm embarrassed! <grin>. When Sheelagh Wells and husband Joe Nazzaro were putting together the book, Sheelagh tapped Supreme Commander Diane for any photos Horizon had to include in the text. One photo I had taken and submitted for publication in the old Horizon News/Letterzine was one I took at a Vision's convention in Chicago in the early 1990's. Sheelagh was often invited to the con and would host a make-up seminar and of course we always attended. The photo is on the book's page 75 and shows Sheelagh displaying what I believe are gelatin elf ears. In front of her is the wig from Verlis in Assassin, the silver braided one. Sheelagh always held a very interesting and up close and personal seminar. She would allow us to actually handle the props- prosthetics, and wigs. I have told the story before, but while Sheelagh passed around the Verlis wig for us to examine, one strand of hair got caught on my watch stem and the only way for me to get untangled was to pull the hair off the wig itself. I didn't notice this for a few moments until I saw this silver hair stuck on my watch. I did what any devoted fan would do- carefully retrieved the hair, wound it in a small circle, and placed it for safe keeping in a tissue. I still have that hair and it's a treasured artifact of Blake's 7 for me. Strange but true! -Paula

Nice story! Truly that strand is a a holy relic of B7 fandom. Bit like St Anthony's knee cap or something. Hee, hee! Now all we need is for someone to come up with an even holier relic and then we can all divide into rival camps based on which is the holiest! I suspect Avon cultists may wish to put the holy stud up for consideration. Grin
Edited by guiser on 17 March 2014 22:38:52

Travisina
guiser wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

guiser wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

Nice story! Truly that strand is a a holy relic of B7 fandom. Bit like St Anthony's knee cap or something. Hee, hee! Now all we need is for someone to come up with an even holier relic and then we can all divide into rival camps based on which is the holiest! I suspect Avon cultists may wish to put the holy stud up for consideration. Grin

Follow the stud! No, follow the hair! No, follow the gourd - oh, wait...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

GoldChannel
straying further off-topic, but still on the subject of B7 books, I was lucky enough to find Afterlife in a secondhand bookshop yesterday for 2.

And so far I am gulping it down! It's gone a bit wonky and Alice In Wonderland-esque round about chapter 4, mind...

Joe Dredd
Two quid? You wuz robbed!

trevor travis
GoldChannel wrote:

straying further off-topic, but still on the subject of B7 books, I was lucky enough to find Afterlife in a secondhand bookshop yesterday for 2.

And so far I am gulping it down! It's gone a bit wonky and Alice In Wonderland-esque round about chapter 4, mind...

Be assured - it gets worse Grin

GoldChannel
hehe

i'm starting to see what you chaps mean......!!!

and it started so promisingly..... Sad

Gauda Cheese
I moved on, I got sick of Space: 1999 this and Space: 1999 that.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

trevor travis
GoldChannel wrote:

Do you mean the title page???? Grin Grin Grin

(As bad as Afterlife is - and it is bad - I still salute Tony Attwood for the Programme Guide, the show's bible, and my link to B7 in the late eighties. My copy is very, very yellow from multiple reading).

GoldChannel
trevor travis wrote:

GoldChannel wrote:

Do you mean the title page???? Grin Grin Grin

(As bad as Afterlife is - and it is bad - I still salute Tony Attwood for the Programme Guide, the show's bible, and my link to B7 in the late eighties. My copy is very, very yellow from multiple reading).

hee hee

yes his Guide is excellent, very hekpful to me as I still don't even know what all the titles are called etc

I finished 'Afterlife' though.... and after what I felt was a promising first couple of chapters, well...... I am very disappointed with it as a novel. So many opportunities he just passes by in favour of endless talking sat around the control room of the spaceship. Oh well.

GC, sounds like the 'Critical Analysis' book is a real dud then. Going by comments above about Mr Muir's constant references to other shows I won't be ordering his Dr Who book any day soon neither....!

Dtar
Personally, I like Muir's book for putting B7 into context, relative to other Sci-fi shows.

He also has written some interesting essays, in the back of the book. The one that I remember vividly is the one where he says that Babylon 5's story arc is no where near as good as B7 (or the prisoner for that matter), because it doesn't come full circle. I feel that he makes some good points, but I fundamentally disagree that a "full circle" arc is better than a more linear one.

Criticism aside, I am grateful for a book that goes beyond being a standard "episode guide" kind of book.
Unsure

Anniew
Re Afterlife - how can anyone not relish a book in which Tarrant is inexplicably eaten by Tigers. ( ducks - sorry Clare).

It's a shame it doesn't work as a story - I quite like some on the concepts like the grass with Aquitar-type properties.

And every book I've read about Blakes7 has been worth the money I spent though LiBeration is the one I reread most. Very interesting. Blakes. heaven is a must buy with excellent essays from many Horizon members - Travisina, Mistletoe, Trevor T to name but 3. A really lovely read and a perfect dipping in book for Christmas Day when you're fed up with the kids. I shall retire to the loo with it for five minutes! ( sorry- too much information!)
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Travis8845
http://www.anorakzone.com/blake/johnmuir.html

There is an interview with Kenneth Muir, and you know what? I like the guy, so fo course, I want to like his book - but I don't.

On the very first page of his Season Four overview, he says that Cally died on the Liberator. The page after he says that in 'Power' he shot Seska unarmed on the Scorpio. That's funny cos the gun in her hand certainly didn't make her look unarmed. He goes on to mention Orac saying I love you to Soolin in 'Headhunter' when it was actually 'Sand' where he said that. But then mentions Soolin's response as the one from 'Headhunter'.

Sorry, but it's a terrible book written badly.

Travis8845
Liberation, on the other hand, is superb. The best book I have read, though I haven't started Sheelagh Wells' one yet. Rodney Marshall's one has some terrible reviews on Amazon. Has anyone read it?

sooper mouse
guiser wrote:

Gary has the holy relics

Joe Dredd
Travis8845 wrote:

Liberation, on the other hand, is superb. The best book I have read, though I haven't started Sheelagh Wells' one yet. Rodney Marshall's one has some terrible reviews on Amazon. Has anyone read it?

Rodney is rightly proud of his father, Roger Marshall (Public Eye, The Avengers, The Sweeney, The Professionals, Lovejoy, etc) but as such he is more familiar with those works and tends to veer towards them in his writing.

You can browse a little bit of the book using the Amazon "Look Inside" feature. Perhaps that will give you enough of a taster to decide if it's for you.

Travis8845
Joe Dredd wrote:
You can browse a little bit of the book using the Amazon "Look Inside" feature. Perhaps that will give you enough of a taster to decide if it's for you.

Thanks, I did look inside a while ago but it just seemed to confirm what the reviewers were saying. But after reading Muir's book, I thought, it can't be any worse Shock

sooper mouse
Travis8845 wrote:

http://www.anorakzone.com/blake/johnmuir.html

There is an interview with Kenneth Muir, and you know what? I like the guy, so fo course, I want to like his book - but I don't.

On the very first page of his Season Four overview, he says that Cally died on the Liberator. The page after he says that in 'Power' he shot Seska unarmed on the Scorpio. That's funny cos the gun in her hand certainly didn't make her look unarmed. He goes on to mention Orac saying I love you to Soolin in 'Headhunter' when it was actually 'Sand' where he said that. But then mentions Soolin's response as the one from 'Headhunter'.

Sorry, but it's a terrible book written badly.

there's more. The guy seems to have just tried to get through analyzing a series he didn't actually see or care for that much.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.70 seconds
9,841,342 unique visits since 8th January 2014