Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 6
Astullken, JustBrad, RB, Vanessa Doffenshmirtz, littlesue, Ellen York

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
The Gift of B7
Gauda Cheese
Found the Cat. Whew.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

meegat39
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Found the Cat. Whew.

Oh good! Sorry to hear about your bereavement, I've had one too recently.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Ellen York
Vila saving the day while pretending to be drunk is one of my favorite bits. Dayna pretending to be a former student of Dr. Plaxton is also good. I hadn't thought about ORAC being able to scan that video of the exploding spacecraft. Perhaps he was being uncooperative that day (or more so than usual). It is too bad that Soolin didn't get more character development; there was lots of potential there.
Sorry to hear you are having a rough time; hope things improve soon.

Chase123
Weapon

This episode marks the third time Down and Safe is uttered. Last episode was the second time. I think. In any case, this episode is strange. The Clone Masters seem...other worldly and ...unexplained really. Where did they originate from? Are they human? Alien? What are their powers? If they value life why do they cooperate with Servalan who seems to call the female clone master tiresome within ear shot. Also: how does this weapon work? How does it differentiate between victims? How do you reset the range? Why doesn't Servalan just kill Blake, Gan, and Avon? For that matter, a few episodes back, why didn't Blake let Avon kill Travis and Servalan? He certainly wanted to here.

Coser is not really very nice. He's mean, which leads one to wonder why he left with the nice girl Raschel? Lots of Servalan plotting, giving her a really nasty side--even more than usual and more of her interaction with Travis. I almost didn't notice Travis is played by a new man...he's very good, too and his uniform here is good.

Which brings me to...this is the first episode to dress Servalan in outlandish clothing...her collar has to be seen to be believed. It looks like a garden wire and when Travis tries to choke her, he had to delicately grab her neck while avoiding the white Christmas ornament. And she's not alone. Rashel and Coser (who btw is all too trusting of Blake---didn't he think Blake could have been caught or brainwashed?) both have strange neck ornaments and collars. More of this will follow.

The giant monster...what was it? Was that supposed to be the maw of a monster ? The hand? A rock monster? A giant monster? B7's monsters are best hidden in the shadows anyway and best we just hear the roars and moans of it.

Avon has the best lines again. Vila has a very small part here as do Cally and Jenna, but all three get some interaction and lines, especially Vila. Avon's very funn;y in this. As usual. This episode is not bad. It moves along and is fast paced, mostly. Although I did almost fall asleep. But not the fault of the episode. The fact that there is a Blake clone around is strange...but perhaps that's the Blake that dies later on? Hardly likely unless Servalan found a way to get the Imupack or whatever it is called.

Oh and Carnak or whatever that psycho puppet master was is also very funny. I like that he stands up to Servalan...sort of. There's more men that do that later on...but in a more macho way. He's very funny. I like how he gives one of the Fed men the chess game. A handsome man to a handsome man. Odd that.

Orac and Zen continue to impress too. In short the show is in top form but almost every ep has flaws. Speaking of which: Blake clone calls Coser Coser and then enters and says, "Who are you?" Coser then tells the Blake clone his name as if it was never said!

Horizon

I like this episode. A good one. A few things first: Ro's hat piece and Selma's well...hat piece and especially her feather collar make them both fashion victims. I'd also rather NOT have to see Vila or Blake shirtless. Blake in a very early season one ep had his shirt open and that was enough for me. They're NOT sex symbols. That said, in the last episode, someone thought showing hairy chests was sexy...well, no, it's not. Thankfully no Travis and no Servalan, they can be overused at times. The planet looks good enough, a bit like Peladon from DW but in any case, why don't Blake and Jenna spot that very loud detector thing rising up just to their right in full view?

Lots of interplay here as everyone's under stress tiredness...a good plot on its own btw. There does seem to be some unspoken tension between Blake, Jenna and Cally as if the two women are NOT friends and are vying for Blake's attention and this follows on into the next episode. Cally does, as Avon says, act like a fool but later on we do get a good use of her telepathic powers as she tells Ro that the Commisar murdered his father with his own two hands.

Again Vila and Avon get the best lines and they will for the remainder of the series (altough Dayna and Soolin will give them both a run for their money later on) and there are so many, I cannot remember them all in this and next episode. So does Avon stay because there are three pursuit ships coming? Can't he outrun them in two hours? Or does he stay out of loyalty? Blake saying that he missed when he blows a blast near him is funny, too. The mine thing reminds me of DW-Destiny of the Daleks. This could be the first ep to mention Soma and this episode also has a Down and Safe and a Down Safe (from Gan).

Not much more to say about this but it does have a colonist ruler coming out from under the Fed plot and that's about time...but that said, it's rather predictable. it is interesting to note that one of the torturers claims Blake does not seem to care if Jenna dies from the torture...does he? Blake does seem manipulative here as in the past and he also seems to get what he wants.

Again though, the dialog is the strongest point and again, Vila and Avon get the best lines. And the funniest. I love it when Avon tells Orac, "Shut up, Orac."

Vila's last line that closes the episode is very funny, too. An entertaining episode. Oh, almost forgot...one of Ro's planetary guards standing there...looks like he's in rags and wearing almost nothing and looks as if he's been tortured. What's he doing there? And in the mines during Blake and Jenna's stay there, one of the extras keeps moving her or his hair out of his own way. It does distract. Gan taking lessons from Orac...okay.
We also get a bit of retconning: Blake met Poura, someone Ro knew, on the ship to Cynus Alpha and Poura died and his body was dumped out ! ?(?). I don't think we saw that or Poura. Still, there is lots of space for unknown encounters and missing stories to be told between ANY and EVERY B7 episode so it does fit.

PRESSURE POINT

By mistake I watched this before Horizon and I must say, up to now, it IS the best B7 episode. It has just about everything. Servalan, of course, wears an outrageous outfit and a hat as she waits 18 days for Blake to show up at the Fed Central Control. Blake loses big time in this episode: not only is his plan to return to Earth to blow up Central Control a complete flop, he loses Gan's life as well. It would not have been obvious but even if anyone knew (as I did when Adric died but not exactly how), they would have thought Gan might die after knocking a door open and guards might be there, or running behind Vila across the self regenerating security radiation grid (grisly first scene as two men get blown up by it...on screen) or having Gan fall over an electrified grid. He dies when Travis throws a grenade and he's trapped and the roof falls in then. He doesn't die right away either as I once thought. The direction is strong in this episode. Gan, "I needed a pacemaker." Vila, "So did I in me heart."

Servalan is completely ruthless here and although there is a glimmer of understanding when Kosabi, just before she dies, says, "I should have helped you," Servalan still remains horrible a person, "Take that away." Kosabi's daughter turning against Blake and then back again was a suprise. How did Jenna find Servalan? Why didn't they scan for her before?

Also, Blake could have and should pulled out when Kosabi never reported in and then later when he found out that she was taken prisoner and the other rebels killed. Of note is that the Feds had all churches destroyed (like this set or location). Gan does not seem to know what one is. ALSO OF NOTE: why doesn't Blake in an earlier episode recognize a car? Did the Federation ban all knowledge of history and pictures and info? Were movies banned? How does Gan not know about churches or Blake of automobiles? it doesn't really make sense.

In any case, there's lots of action, intrigue and Gan comes across as nice as ever he does (he almost always does) and useful in power plays (as he always does). He's the nicest of the crew and possibly the nicest character in B7. I like how he treats Kosabi's daughter. Kosabi 's name reminds me of a food.

One flaw: shouldn't you have definite proof of what's inside a control center before you decide to risk everything to blow it up? Still, the moment when Blake breaks in and says, "We've done it! We've done it! I've done it!" and then finds out the truth...is shocking, sad, well acted, and ironic. Oh and Blake, Gan, Vila, and Avon climb down the same ladder (but later it is lit red and then blue) and walk down the same hallways three times with different lighting on (red, then blue). Travis and his two mutoids do the same.

All in all, a really great and memorable episode that has it all.

Chase123
Trial

As Lye says the first line, "A total waste of time," this is not. Indeed, at first glance an episode about the fallout of Gan's death and the trial of Travis seems to be a filler episode but it's far from that. Speaking of Lye it would have been fufilling if he was one of the guards killed by Travis when he escapes…. because he yearns some action and killing….Travis's escape ironically being caused by Blake's attack on Servalan's headquarter space station...and I'm not even sure Blake and crew find this out, certainly not in this episode.

I used to think the Zil costume was embarassing but perhaps I became more accepting as it's not that bad. The living planet has been done from everything from Angry Red Planet to Earth 2 and Space Academy and usually it is done well and here it is also done well. I'm sure sci fi literature is littered with them. Also alien parasites. Nice last line uttered by Avon comparing Vila to a flea. Again, lots of great dialog between, well, everyone. Practically every line is needed and there is no waste, no filler here. It's all rather snappy and well written.

Avon's relationship with Blake is explored and it seems that Blake IS using his crew and admits as much to Avon, who seems to want to replace Blake as head of Liberator.

Which brings me to: why not just take the ship as Avon fantasized about in Horizon and leave and avoid all Fed worlds and ships and take it easy for awhile. Aside from Blake would any of these have any room to bring down the Federation? Did anyone really want that anyway? I suppose there are some rebels but knowing what I / we know about the ultimate ending of Blake and crew and Avon and Vila...is it worth it? Did anything they do mean anything? It's all a bit pessemstic but not really...it all amounts to...a flea bite, one flea bite just as the flea Zil had on the planet. It's hard imagining what Avon would have said to Zil, he seems somewhat xenophobic anyway.

In any case,a good episode and lots of deaths caused by Blake's attack but...not Servalan or Travis. Those two old men (one of them played by Peter Miles from DW's Genesis of The Daleks as Nyder) return and presumably do not escape the outer wall breach in the trial room...both of them are played by the same two men supposedly but the older one looks younger here. They were also in SEEK LOCATE DESTROY but the older one looks like a different man here but apparently is not.

Again lots of great lines here ("Welcome back to reality, Jenna" "I wish Gan were here." "Yes, because he would see the logic of it all."Wink And so much more. Quite a wonderful episode.

Killer

Confession: I am not a big Robert Holmes fan. Oh, I like a lot of his DW stories but I think all of them are over rated, big time. I'm not a big Jago and Litefoot fan either and find most of the BF stuff they are in boring, especially that first Companion Chronile they did. In any case, I like TALONS of Weng Chiang and Ribos Operation on DW and a few of his other stories but I am not a big fan of Carnival of Monsters or The Two Doctors. I don't know if he did Caves of Androzani but if so that was good but not as good as everyone says it is. That said, this episode is a strange one: I don't know how I feel about it.

First of all, everyone, even Tynus, who betrays Avon and Vila and calls in Servalan...who does not appear at all, thankfully...everyone is well, nice. Even Tynus. No one person is underdeveloped as a character, even the minor ones but...it's awfully slow once the capsule is brought down and I guess it has to be. The virus body is grotesque and horrid but that's not really the main threat either...it kills the first doctor and then falls itself. The virus is horrid and it is hard to watch such nice men such as Gambrill and his superior go down with memory loss, even loss of reading ability, and convulsions and horrible red blood boils. It's disgusting. Not sure why Blake, Vila and Avon didn't get it...maybe the air conditioning shut offs? In any case, it's a grim episode and horrible.

Vila gets some nice stuff again and this time he even outshines Avon, "I always said to myself, Avon must have a friend somewhere." Avon, "And you were right...that must be a novel experience for you." Cally picks up life on the shuttle. Jenna has nothing much to do but spar with Blake for a bit.

One thing I didn't quite get or didn't get pulled off...did the fire Avon had Tynus set...delay the cure so that the planet is doomed? If the fire didn't happen, could the planet have been saved? Would rescuerers have gone into the lab to save the doctor from the body when it was already quarantined? How isolated was the medical unit?

The episode is the slowest moving B7 up to now but it's not terrible and not stupid an episode just slower and somewhat grim. One tends to think so what? But it does set up the idea that there are aliens out there who do not want mankind to go into space...and as the main scientist believes, the virus was not intended to kill just to keep mankind on his own planet...but how he figures that I do not know...death would have to give mankind the idea that they had to stay put or die if they left the world so some death wouuld have been in the aliens' minds. I also wonder if these are the same aliens that would appear again much later on in the season and cause the war. Those seem to be murderous.

Oh and the suits the men wear on this planet make them look like giant leaves...with headbands...all brown and stuff. I wonder what happens to the poor grasshoppers in Tynus's office.

Again, this might be the worst episode up to now but it's not terrible. I just don't know how to feel about an episode where everyone but the main cast dies...and all of them were pretty much nice guys...

Hostage

This episode in contrast to last episode had nothing but mean guys other than Blake's uncle Ushton or Ashton and uhm, someone that everyone claimed was Ushton's daughter. If Inga was Ushton's daughter, biologically speaking...she's Blake's first cousin as Ushton was his fathe'rs brother and therefore Blake's uncle. Blake tells the others on Liberator that she meant a lot to him once. Perhaps...she is not Ushton's biological daughter as Blake leaves at the end and kisses her on the lips, much to Jenna's visible jealousy.

that said, this episode, again in contrast to last week's ep, has LOTS OF action. Fights, chases, gun battles, spaceship battles, chases in space, traps, and near torture. The great Kevin Stoney, who has been in the big three (Doctor Who more than once...Dalek Masterplan, Revenge of the Cybermen, and the Invasion---well those are the big three but i also meant...), Space: 1999, and The Tomorrow People. In fact, all major four Uk sci fi series of all time. He does very little here but has ONE scene as a commisioner of some sort who supported Servalan's appointment. Aren't Earth Preisdent's voted in? He makes a big impression despite one scene and he and Servalan's encounter drips with sarcasm and hypocrisy as 1-she drinks just before he arrives and claims she never drinks on the job and 2-she reminds him that her rank is over his just by saying his as he leaves and earlier 3-he reminds her that maybe he was wrong in supporting her while she admits he could be wrong once. Great dialog...and not just from them, from everyone.

The mutoids: the two that pilot Servalan's ship are the same two on the main pursuit ship and they have...blond hair. The servant has the same strange head shape (is it a costume piece) as does the one that goes down to the planet with Servalan---(she might be the same one). This episode also had Crimos, crimnal psychopaths who help Travis.

Again as far as dialog and relationships and plot and action: this episode has it ALL. The first thing is an attack by some 20 or more Federation ships on Liberator. Then, as if that's not enough, Travis sends a message that he's holding Inga, a girl that seems to be Blake's uncle's daughter (or not see above or Blake is just committing some kind of gross indecency) and wants Blake to come to him on a former penal planet. He's got her in a tower that only he and his crimos's got into. The rest of minor prisoners who committed minor crimes are fending for themselves on the planet and mostly starving. Blake's uncle seems to be helping Travis to defend his daughter. Cally knows Avon has done something but she's not sure what and she also seems to know that the crimos is lying when he says Vila, Blake and Avon are dead. Avon alerted Servalan as to where Travis was...in a sort of double double cross and he thought that was the right thing to do.

On top of that, Vila, who's had some of the funniest lines in the series, had the funniest lines in this episode and makes the grim parts less grim but it all fits and makes us laugh at the right places. He's just...amazing, the character and the actor. The interaction is just amazing. Travis wants the Liberator and asks to work together, a ruse of course. He has the crimos start to take air out of the room Avon and Blake are in. Blake, Ashton and Avon turn the tables on the crimos and Travis in a rousing huge fight while Cally and Jenna face a crimos that gets on board Liberator thanks to Vila's "cooperation" with Travis. Jenna's satisfaction with sending him into space is ...noted.

A fast paced, rousing episode with very good interaction, pace, and acting. It also makes sense that Servalan, unable to get Blake with what seemed like a very good captain (who fails with 20 ships and who is put under arrest by her in one of her unfair moves) could not, now unofficially is once again using or "friends" with Travis. A great use of both characters and in fact,a great use of all the characters.

The women in B7, Jenna and Cally are sometimes under used and sit on the ship, calling down or teleporting. Here, at least they get some good scenes and some of the action. It is true though that B7 is really a male centered show and while it has tons of female fans, it is mostly a macho male oriented series. This episode sort of proves that. But again, I can say that this is the best episode up to now. It's just very entertaining and never boring and visually quite good.

Countdown

More male mashismo from start to finish. It starts in the middle of rousing action as rebels from all over a planet raid, bomb, and blast a Federation strong hold. Men die on both sides. Guns blaze. Grenades go off. Fed men die. One does not and he's the one that cannot escape and the one that Blake happens to want info from concerning where the Fed central control is. Gosh, give it up Blake! They can just keep moving it. In any case Provine is the name of the man played by a good actor (who I think was in DW-Four To Doomsday). In any other frame of reference, this murderer of rebels (and he strips a man for his clothes) would be James Bond and the hero. In this case, he also has a chance to shoot Blake in the back and doesn't do it or try it until later on...but Blake turns the gun on him (and the gun looks a bit like Imipak from a few eps ago).

Vila is FUNNY again all over the place and useful...but not when trying to save Blake from Provine...he cannot find his way until the last moment and even then, it seems Provine is the one who won but they fake us out and Provine falls, dying.

Male bonding all over the place. Vila/Blake/Avon/Del Grant. Vila can open anything as Blake and Avon profess. Blake warns Del, "If anything happens to Avon, I will come looking for you," showing Blake's loyalty to Avon. Avon and Del work out their differences. Del tells Vila he will remember the "anytime," bit.

Jenna and Cally wait on the Liberator doing...well, the waiting again ("Cally, please stop that."Wink and teleporting.

The whole Anna Grant thing used to leave me cold but knowing what will happen in the series and in the Big Finish Audios THE LIBERATOR CHRONICLES vol 3 (GREAT audio series by the way especially this volume!) it is a bit more interesting. Tom is a good actor and he was in DW, too (CITY OF DEATH and I wish Big Finish would let him return as Duggan in DW audios!).

Again, this episode is fast paced and has a lot of action and is different from the last one so it's rather good. It is very like an action movie but without the high budget. I quite like it. But again, it is rather a male oriented episode with war almost played as a play game/play date---oh mind you all the usual mini tirades against nuclear war and weapons stand but the episode...well, seems almost pro-male fighting or pro male bonding over fighting. Or something. Good ep though.
Voice from the Past

Wait a minute, what? At a watch this is a good episode. But...how? How could rebels take on a man with a face mask and not have him take the mask off? LaGrane and Van Glynd (who was supposedly at Blake's first trial in the first episode TWO years ago) were both innocent of evil toward Blake. A different actor plays Ven Glynd. This all ties in nicely with the first episode THE WAY BACK but...did someone else there help Travis and Servalan? Why not just take over the whole base? AND if they have a control device that can take over Blake or anyone (?) from that far away...why can't they use it any time in the future?

Lots of good interplay here as the cast plays off against a controlled Blake. Some rest room (not the bath room or toilet but a room for resting) scenes. Lots of Liberator changing course between a nice pleasant planet and a deserted asteroid. The sticker on the door that says AIRLOCK is from Space: 1999 (as well as were some light fixtures in past episodes such as Weapon). Again, some good dialog.

But when someone looks at this episode as a whole, it doesn't make a lot of sense. It does present Servalan as a very dangerous...or MORE dangerous villainess. I'm just not sure the plot really works that well when being scrutinized. Someone else must have helped Travis, someone from the base...it cannot be Naga as Travis kills him (and the blood in display at the hole is gross as was the blood from last episode when the man in the bomb control room was killed, blood on his mouth and hand).

And did I see right? Did Vila shut out some survivors running for cover in the room? And the pace of the finale fight was...sort of off. Why did Travis wait a whole minute before shooting at Jenna and/or Blake? This gave Ven Glynd time to stop Travis...and lose his own life. Didn't Servalan's men knew Travis was helping Servalan? If Travis was on Liberator with Avon and Jenna, why did he LEAVE LIBERATOR? He could have just had them teleport Blake back on board. AND why reveal himself at all until Blake was on board? Didn't he just want to kill Blake? Lots of questions we do not get the answer for despite a nice bunch of scenes and interplay.

Love Avon's last line, "I regret to inform you that Blake is once again himself." I also like that Avon gets the line Blake sold him as manipulative, "He's tried every other ploy to get his own way but just try trusting me is weak, even for him."

A good episode but not one of the strongest logic wise. And less of Vila making sense, too. Why would Vila believe Cally and Avon have teamed up? Why would he accompany Blake to the planet? Why would he continue to lock the others up that long or at all? The backdrop of the asteroid when Blake first lands is poor but it's not seen that long. The set of the outside is also weak...on a par with a Saturday morning tv show...many of which have better sets (ARK 2).

Gambit

I admit I was dreading this one. I don't remember it too fondly but from my perspective now, I'd have to say it was the comedy episode and only two deaths. I thought it was more grim. Frankly it's kind of boring in parts. Love the Avon spitting out his food when he finds out Vila is playing the death game klute. Jenna and Cally get to dress up and visit a planet for once and for once, the planet really does seem crowded (we get a guy dressed like Mr. Hyde, one dressed like Dracula, another like the Marqui De Sade, and others dressed for a Mardi Gras?).

Why does Krantor allow Vila to keep his bracelet when playing the final game? Is he stupid? Did he not know why Vila was bringing his hand up to his ear? The mini Orac is cute a bit like the Mini Tim from the Tomorrow People. A bit improbable. Love that Avon and Vila team up.

Fashion Victim planet: Krantor is over the top but his aide is far more over the top and I now have to commend the show on its bravery to show what seems to be very fem gay males when at the time it was just...embarassing and odd and silly. Oh and Servalan falls to victim too: what is with her high collar? And her aide has a fashion victim hair cut. This episode also plays like a WHO'S WHO of TOM BAKER DW guest stars with John Leeson, Sylvia Coleridge (who also played in The Tomorrow People-A Rift in Time) and who is a big fashion victim---what were they thinking (?) making her a type of Caberet take off announcer, the actor who played Mr. Sin in TALONS OF WENG CHIANG, and Denis Carye (the KEEPER OF TRAKEN and SHADA's Chronitis himself). And more I"m sure. At least two nice characters in Dochilli and the bar maid (Chenen?).

SOOOO. When we last saw Travis the Feds caught him and ...wasn't he wounded? And is arm inactive? In any case, he's escaped again and/or teamed up with Servalan. Or not. She seems upset with him again and he with her. She just lets him go with the bomb in his arm and he doesn't think anything of her letting him go. Lots of talk about her plans. It's also odd how many times Blake has let Travis (and Servalan too) go when he could have killed them...it was beginning to play on my nerves back when the show first aired and it is now, too. Getting rid of one of them would be good for the show, both of them maybe even better.

In any case, not a great episode but not terrible either. Quite a few laughs but the dialog is not as good as it once was. I'm also tiring of Blake's schemes: Star One, Dochilli and Fed Central. ANd all these link the stories for the most part.

Even though that, I must say I'm enjoying season two far more than I thought I would. I like season one but I think two is even better. Hope I liked three and four as much as I did back then....

Almost forgot, in one scene in Servalan’s hotel room, one of the walls parts with the other wall when the wind seems to blow!

The Keeper

The title conjures up my favorite LOST IN SPACE---the two parter THE KEEPER but this is far from the best episode of B7. In fact, up to now, it IS the worst. I don't know why. It has a tight plot, good actors although some of them are far over the top, in fact most of them including Keating, who's not that good here to be honest. When he starts protesting at his being taken away, I wanted to kick the screen. The jester and the old man screaming, the big bellicose pirate...uh, ruler, his brother, their sister (at one of them called her that), all of them, all the guest stars were all rather over the top and embarassing. The lines are not that good here either, although Vila does get a few good ones. Avon and Cally sit on the ship. Jenna gets a lot to do but the scene where she is hypnotized is about the time I almost fell asleep. This episode bored me a great deal and again, I don't know why...there is action and some movement but I found it boring.

I'd like to say it's still a good episode but frankly, it's not. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be funny...what with all the death by Blake and death by spike and death by incarceration. And what happened to Logan? Was he dead? Why did he implant the secret of Star One in the jester's brain and why with that code word?

How was Travis once more working with Servalan after what she did or tried to do last time? Was Servalan even needed in this episode? yes, there's a big finale fight and then the winner gets poisoned. By who? His hag sister?

I'm sure there's more to say about this episode but I was not impressed. I like Jenna, I really do but frankly compared to everyone else around her, she's a non entity, a very boring character with all the others and regulars and guest stars. She is just sort of there. The actress does what she can though.

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention but what was it with the map charts? How did it go from Dochelli to Logan to the jester to Travis? Why did anyone entrust it to Travis? Or did he just take it? I generally like a quest and a planet that's difficult to live on and battles with savages and primitives and medevil type politics but all of those bits just do not come together for me. Oh, and just when Cally stands up to Avon, she's wrong!

Star One

Yes. I good one to finish the season out on. It builds and builds and never really stops. The exciting finale...and yes, it is the idea of the action rather than the actual space battle itself. For at one time, I thought it a cheat and annoying that the episode stops at the space battle itself and I thought the next episode would feature a huge space battle. But this is Blake's 7, done in the UK in the late 1970s and early 1980s...it can't have done. Frankly, not even the hodge podge assemblage of kids' toys that pass for alien spaceships...how does those things fly ships? In others' bodies? Or is the melting mess of goo just what they turn into when shot/killed?

At first, I wasn't sure what was happening and now it's easy to say you knew all along but no one really did. Everyone is in top form here: Vila, Avon (both of course), Cally, Jenna, and Blake. Orac makes a mistake in telling Vila not to be concerned. The fact that Jenna has to warn Servalan is great. In fact, not much about this episode misses the mark. It's really rather good, especially when compared with the last three episodes. The dialog is in top form again, recovering from the Keeper, where it...kind of wasn't. The sets are adequate. I thought about Blake forgetting about the last bomb...did he want to forget about it subconsciously?

Killing off Travis is a good thing and changing Servalan's status is also a good thing. The show was way past their point of expiration and this would make Servalan more dangerous and give room for other kinds of enemies and villains, even among the Federation captains and such. Not sure what the aliens did to the staff but why were their eyes all white? Did they steal their pupils?

For some reason the aliens reminded me of an OUTER LIMITS alien race...only glimpsed briefly and causing the entire story to happen. It was good to have the girl on Star One be a major character because we are never sure if she will live or die and at first, we're not sure she's a goodie or a baddie. I also kept thinking of Star Trek's Devil in the Dark where a similar looking monster was peaceful and easy to love but B7's universe makes Avon says, "They'd be difficult to love."

Jenna started out strong but then the writers didn't really know what to do with her. Here, she regains some of that strength and her last scenes are strong. This is the last we shall see of her. Toward the middle of the series I always felt that Jenna wanted to bail ship, especially as Blake got noticed by other women (and possibly by Cally). Cally started out like a warrior, started screaming when monsters put their hands on her head, and became more warrior like again here but never fully as hard as she was in the past.

Blake started out moral, grew manipulative, seemed to try to regain some of that and failed somehow and then gained some of it back by going along with stopping the bombs. Would he have warned Servalan? I don't know. He does not seem to want to stop the Liberator crew fighting the aliens. He sounds very sincere when he tells Avon, "for what it's worth...Avon, I trusted you from the very beginning." Did he mean that? I think he did. Or was he being manipulative again? Either way, this last scene and that statement --at least for me---is the driving force of Avon and the rest of the series...Avon finally having found someone who trusted him and someone who could be trusted,...or so he thought. This is the last we shall see of Blake as a regular character but he will be back...or will he?

Avon and Vila seem to have gotten closer here than I remember but this might fall apart?

The last few lines are telling. "Avon, this is stupid." "When has that ever stopped us?" And then "FIRE!" which brings chills to me now, knowing the rest of the series. A well done season with very strong episodes other than a small handful (the worst being the awful The Keeper). Thankfully the ones that were bad just before this one didn't ruin this one. It is strong, never wavers, is never boring, and a good one to send out Jenna, Travis, and Blake. A stunning ending but also annoying because one wants to see more right away.

Big Finish's Warship comes in the space here between Star One and the start of the third season, Aftermath. I hope the third season and fourth season are as entertaining as I remember.

About the second season: while no one score stands out, I do seem to recall several bits of music that sound rather nice usually just before it cuts away. There is a piece during Voice From the Past I think that is one such piece. But almost every episode has some bits of good music. A few episodes have some embarrassing bits too, usually jokey, comical music that just doesn't work well at all, even when there is something comical happening.

One thing that did haunt me: would the Federation put all of its power in one base in one place? And not have a backup?

Gauda Cheese
meegat39 wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Found the Cat. Whew.

Thank you.

Ellen York wrote:

Vila saving the day while pretending to be drunk is one of my favorite bits. Dayna pretending to be a former student of Dr. Plaxton is also good. I hadn't thought about ORAC being able to scan that video of the exploding spacecraft. Perhaps he was being uncooperative that day (or more so than usual). It is too bad that Soolin didn't get more character development; there was lots of potential there.

Ahhh! I like that bit with Dayna as well!

trevor travis
Gauda Cheese wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Found the Cat. Whew.

Thank you.

Ellen York wrote:

Ahhh! I like that bit with Dayna as well!

I get the idea you have quite a soft spot for Dayna - can't say I blame you. Grin

Glad the cat turned up.

Gauda Cheese
trevor travis wrote:

I get the idea you have quite a soft spot for Dayna - can't say I blame you. Grin

Glad the cat turned up.

Love Dayna quite a bit. Though the next episode will be a bit of a slog. But the good thing is I love everything from Headhunter to the end.

Gauda Cheese
Oh God. In about 3 hours I am going to watch Dayna's Bad Romance. I'm also out of booze.

Travisina
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Oh God. In about 3 hours I am going to watch Dayna's Bad Romance. I'm also out of booze.

Do you absolutely HAVE to watch it? Couldn't you just pretend there are only 12 eps in S4 & skip to Headhunter? Pfft
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Gauda Cheese
Travisina wrote:
Do you absolutely HAVE to watch it? Couldn't you just pretend there are only 12 eps in S4 & skip to Headhunter? Pfft

I really really want to, but I have to show it to her. Got to show her the whole things warts and all. Besides if I deny Michelle any Servalan she'll kill me.

Not even Animals crushes my love of Dayna.

Sopron
Fair enough, but to do so without booze?!!?

Gauda Cheese
Sopron wrote:

Fair enough, but to do so without booze?!!?

I know! Hopefully Michelle has some.

Gauda Cheese
Animals

or

Dayna's Bad Romance

"Good costumes on those animals"

"Ummm wait wait"

"What?"

"Whats the maths on that relationship?"

"Not good"

"Ew!"

"Hang on hang on"

"What?"

"How do people not know who Servalan is? She was president during a galactic war. How could you not recognize someone that hot!"

"Just roll with it"

"Dayna loves him? I thought she was hooking up with Tarrant" That made me chuckle and I can see why she'd say that.

"Soolin has pretty hair"

"Okay"

"Shut up girls comment about things like that!"

"The Animals remind me of Where the Wild Things Are"

I didn't behave the same way I did for Animals as I did for Servalan on IMAX. Though I didn't really influence her there, she hated that one without my help. Animals she thought was Alan Prior's best story. Though she was creeped out by the relationship between Justin and Dayna.

I was quizzed relentlessly about the logic of Servalan being incognito. How no one knew who she was when she was the bloody president! She acts the same, dresses the same and IS THE SAME! Yes Michelle I know.

Michelle loved the look of the Animals and I have to agree with her, they look really good. Leagues above the Decimas and Zil.

That this was the other episode I didn't like, Michelle could understand. But it isn't just the relationship between Justin and Dayna that I don't like. Its just sooooo boring! Being boring is for me worse than being bad.

Despite the logic of why Servalan is in the position she's in, Michelle I think enjoys this one because there is a lot of Servalan in it. It didn't bore her either which is what Stardrive did.

Next? Eight consistently good to great episodes! I hope Michelle will think so too.

trevor travis
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Next? Eight consistently good to great episodes! I hope Michelle will think so too.

Headhunter to Blake is a great run of episodes Pfft

Gauda Cheese
trevor travis wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Agreed. Three of my top five are in this group Pfft

trevor travis
Gauda Cheese wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Agreed. Three of my top five are in this group Pfft

Er... Sand, Orbit and Blake?

(or Gold? or Warlord? or Headhunter?)

Both Blake and Orbit are in my favourite five episodes, although my favourite five episodes always ends up having six in it, becuase I don't want to exclude Sarcophagus. Grin

Joe Dredd
Gauda Cheese wrote:
Michelle loved the look of the Animals and I have to agree with her, they look really good. Leagues above the Decimas and Zil.

They always remind me of Sweetums from the Muppets.

Joe Dredd
trevor travis wrote:
my favourite five episodes always ends up having six in it

Congratulations TT, you have now graduated from the Terry Nation School of Maths!

trevor travis
Joe Dredd wrote:

trevor travis wrote:
my favourite five episodes always ends up having six in it

Congratulations TT, you have now graduated from the Terry Nation School of Maths!

I do love the B7 approach to maths and science, which mostly involves ignoring it, and getting on with the story. Grin

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.72 seconds
9,099,723 unique visits since 8th January 2014