Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Dr Who: Robot of Sherwood
Spaceship Dispatcher
peladon wrote:

Also it looks increasingly as if its to become the Clara show - a 20something earth woman with more wit than a 900 yr old time lord

Merely the different personalities of two strong characters who express themselves in different ways. Sounds like a recipe for great drama to me, especially when played by two such exceptional talents.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

JustBrad
peladon wrote:

Also it looks increasingly as if its to become the Clara show - a 20something earth woman with more wit than a 900 yr old time lordAngry

As long as it isn't over done, I prefer this to the days of the companion whose only lines were, "What are you doing, Doctor?" and "What's that, Doctor?"

Space Chopper
Enjoyable hokum- it's clear that Gatiss loved his Errol Flynn and Douglas Fairbanks movies as well as classic Who- Robin cutting the banner with a dagger and sliding down it was a direct lift from Fairbanks' The Black Pirate. This was kind of 'Dr Who meets Robin Hood- Men In Tights', and it was rather fun!
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Klenotka
JustBrad wrote:

peladon wrote:

Also it looks increasingly as if its to become the Clara show - a 20something earth woman with more wit than a 900 yr old time lordAngry

As long as it isn't over done, I prefer this to the days of the companion whose only lines were, "What are you doing, Doctor?" and "What's that, Doctor?"

Definitely. 12 is shaping up to be one of the more interesting Doctors (with a personality for a change), with Clara serving as his human interface. Didn´t Sarah Jane often "translate" the Doctor talk to others? Wink
I love Jenna this season. I liked her before but her Clara was more of a plot device than a real character. Where 11 was like "no, no, you can´t do that.", 12 says "Do the clever thing." and sends her to do something. It is very refreshing and it actually shows how much he trusts her )and that she is the only one he cares about at this point).
Peter and Jenna are perfect. Their chemistry is very natural and Jenna obviously benefited from more mature actor (professionally) and Doctor.
I can´t wait to see what happens next.

I already dread the moment when Clara will leave - either this season or next, it will be very sad (and played marvelously by both of them)
Don´t be Lasagne

Gauda Cheese
Soon as I saw Gatiss' name i groaned. This was just a hokey runaround where nothing major happens. if you skip it you miss nothing.

The Troughton cameo was pretty cool though.

This new show started in 2005 and even now I still cringe at the Doctor making sexual innuendo's.

On a plus, the screwdriver isn't being used as much.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

JustBrad
Klenotka wrote:

I already dread the moment when Clara will leave - either this season or next, it will be very sad (and played marvelously by both of them)

Perhaps, but it will be time. Two to three seasons should be the max for a companion.

Coser
Not that fussed, to be honest.

First we had a re-hash of David Tennant's "Girl in the Fireplace", a theme that seems to be running through all this season, with a dash of Matt Smith's "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship".

Then we had William Hartnell's "Planet of Giants" with a Dalek twist.

Now Jon Pertwee's "The Time Warrior" complete with robot knights.

I know Peter Capaldi wanted to return to the style of the classic doctors, but I didn't think he wanted to rip off most of the stories too!

And couldn't they have done a better job with the costumes? Robin's was entirely the wrong colour, and the entire band was made up of stereotypes, no wonder the Doctor thought something was wrong with them.

(Robin wearing green is most likely a mistake based on the use of "Lincoln Green". Lincoln was not known for green dye, and it was probably a mis-read of "Lincoln Grain", which produced a dye of a reddish colour.)
"Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics, and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-Tzu, and Einstein, and Morobuto, and Buddy Holly, and Aristophanes…then all of this…all of this…was for nothing. Unless we go to the stars." Commander sinclair, Babylon 5.

Travisina
Coser wrote:

And couldn't they have done a better job with the costumes? Robin's was entirely the wrong colour, and the entire band was made up of stereotypes, no wonder the Doctor thought something was wrong with them.

I think that was the whole point!

Coser wrote:(Robin wearing green is most likely a mistake based on the use of "Lincoln Green". Lincoln was not known for green dye, and it was probably a mis-read of "Lincoln Grain", which produced a dye of a reddish colour.)

That's really interesting. How many other legends centre on mis-readings and mistranslations? I've heard that Cinderella's glass slippers were actually fur slippers in the original French, the confusion arising between the two identical-sounding words vair (fur) and verre (glass).
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

JustBrad
Coser wrote:
...and the entire band was made up of stereotypes, no wonder the Doctor thought something was wrong with them.

Ah, yes, but where do those stereotypes come from?

Hooded Man
Hooded Man's Large Friend
Fallen Friar
Local Rogue
Traveling Bard

All based on actual 12th century accounts, though not necessarily in the same place at the same time. And the Hooded Man of Barnesly was known to have a rivalry with the local sheriff, who later moved and became sheriff of Nottingham. Well, that's one historian's Connect The Dots theory anyway... Smile

Spaceship Dispatcher
There's also a local theory around these parts that the Nottingham itself is something that has become changed over time and the basis for the legend was actually Northampton, as some elements of the legend fit here better than there.

*but I would support that Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
loved every minute! Okay, it's not a serious story... but since that was obviously never the intention, it would not be fair judge it as anything other than the light relief adventure that it actually was. In that regard it was a whole lot of fun

But that's enough about "The Horns Of Nimon", what did you think about "Robot Of Sherwood"? Grin Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
loved every minute! Okay, it's not a serious story... but since that was obviously never the intention, it would not be fair judge it as anything other than the light relief adventure that it actually was. In that regard it was a whole lot of fun

But that's enough about "The Horns Of Nimon", what did you think about "Robot Of Sherwood"? Grin Grin

Ah... if only The Horns of Nimon had been as much fun as DW:RoS Grin

Oops

JustBrad
Robin Hoooo-ooood, It is I...... The Serrrrr-ifffff....

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

Robin Hoooo-ooood, It is I...... The Serrrrr-ifffff....

Massive pity Graham Crowden died a few years ago.... it would have been perfect casting. Grin

Tarrant On TV
I enjoyed this episode.
A possible them I picked up on was the idea that the Doctor may have become too cynical, so much so that he has trouble believeing a hero like Robin Hood might be real.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
9,122,103 unique visits since 8th January 2014