Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 14

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Dr Who: Robot of Sherwood
Klenotka
Well...

http://www.radiot...are-killed

I know what scene they mean so I am really curious how are they going to do it. It is actual a big twist so I guess they will have to find the way around it.

Gauda Cheese
Why? How is it in poor taste seeing the episode was filmed prior to the executions. Also its not like this episode is set in Iraq or Syria.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Klenotka
Well...
They got captured, they escaped, they got captured again, they escaped again, they blew up the spaceship. Grin

I thought it was just a pure fun. Not meant to be taken seriously (and if anyone does, then it is really sad).

I loved that Patrick Throughton picture as Robin Hood. Nice touch Smile
Don´t be Lasagne

President Solvite
Yeah it was an okay episode, some laughs, not really a Who episode. Pretty basic and obvious plot.

Middle of the road, episode but some bits nicely done.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Travisina
I really enjoyed it - it was great fun, but had quite a dark thread running through it. I always like Ben Miller and there was a great performance from the chap who played Robin - although he seemed at first to be channelling Lord Flashheart. There was also fun to be had playing 'spot the Merlin location' as well as 'spot the quotation'. I wasn't bothered about plot (or lack of) - this was all about the characters.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

President Solvite
The exterior shot looked like Bodiam Castle?

Know its filmed in Wales but wonders about establishing shots of Nottingham Castle.

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm working this evening so haven't seen it yet, but I'll look out for the castle shot...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

rojkerr1
well thats forty five minutes I won't get back again what a load of twaddle, tired cliched and boring, maybe Moffat allows this stuff to be written to make his own look good? The only good bit was Patrick Troughton as robin hood and that was only for a second! 1/10 for that bit, another curse of the black spot debacle!

trevor travis
Klenotka wrote:
They got captured, they escaped, they got captured again, they escaped again, they blew up the spaceship. Grin

But that's enough about "Terror Of The Zygons". Wink

As for tonight's episode, it was just a bit of harmless fun - not awful, not brilliant either. Intrigued by the trailer for next week...

meegat39
I agree with Rojkerr, it was dreadful. Boring episode, with a very weak story and some serious plotholes. Worst so far...
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

JustBrad
I loved it, and I am really growing to love this Doctor.

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

...a great performance from the chap who played Robin - although he seemed at first to be channelling Lord Flashheart...

Which may well account for the great performance. Nothing wrong with stealing from the best.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Have just seen this week's episode and loved every minute! Okay, it's not a serious story... but since that was obviously never the intention, it would not be fair judge it as anything other than the light relief adventure that it actually was. In that regard it was a whole lot of fun, though I found some of the comic routines between the Doctor and Robin repetitive and drawn out at times. The source material for the Robin Hood element is of interest in itself: the main victim seems to be the classic 1930s movie starring Errol Flynn, in visuals and dialogue; but the character of Robin also seemed to be a dig at Jason Connery's character Robert of Huntingdon in Robin of Sherwood, supported by this Robin also being a Robert and obviously the episode title suggested there would be the odd RoS reference lurking. The Sheriff was more like Basil Rathbone's Guy of Gisborne from the 30s movie too, rather than any previous portrayal of the Sheriff himself, and certainly didn't pick up any similarity in either dialogue or performance to Alan Rickman's interpretation. There was of course the necessary 'prince of thieves' joke about halfway into the episode however. In terms of nods to classic Doctor Who... there was the miniscope reference, but I thought there was a subtle homage to the much darker s18 in there too if you imagine the ship from State of Decay manned by the Gundan robots from Warriors Gate! Having said that, there was some dark moments here too with the on screen stabbing of the villager by the Sheriff early on. Visually though this was all very bright and colourful, both the exteriors and another wonderful 60s-style chic white spaceship that ends up having a Jagaroth moment at the end - a more obvious touch of loving homage. Everyone was fun to watch - although with Peter Capaldi and Ben Miller being two of my favourite actors before their casting in the series, and Jenna Coleman having since become another personal favourite, I'm slightly biased in having enjoyed watching them perform however good or bad the jokes were. Rating this is a tough one! Obviously it wasn't serious so, even if it was top grade as a comic interlude, it was still an interlude between the main action; so a 7/10 seems fair. Having said that, Ben Miller and Jenna Coleman together is worth a 10/10 as an individual sketch and so was Clara chained up in a dungeon being bossy; but again that's a view biased by personal preference and, as someone said, this was always going to be a divisive epsode because these little sidesteps go even further into each individual viewer's personal taste in amusement more than a normal outing. But this was good fun and I suspect it will get lots of rewatches on my tv when the dvds come out.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Ela
I just watched Robots of Sherwood and I have to say I loved every minute. It was a lot of fun and I also really enjoyed the fellow who played Robin Hood.

Oh, and in the poll, I voted for a mix. Variety is the spice of life. Smile

Spaceship Dispatcher
It was great to see a companion using the Ship's wardrobe to dress for the destination again.

Off-topic but: when as a family we travelled to see Ben Miller on stage, in a political comedy called The Duck House, it was at a theatre in... Nottingham Grin

BradPaula
I loved every minute of the episode. The actor playing Robin seemed to be channeling a bit of Flasheart and Errol Flynn, naturally, and was very easy on the eyes. The actor playing the Sheriff had an uncanny resemblance in my opinion to Anthony Ainley. And Clara looked amazing in period costume. Also, a nice nod to Pat Troughton by flashing his photo for a second. Brad and I did discuss how Clara's diadem held fast to her forehead... we voted for spirit gum to glue it there- so an enjoyable romp in classic Doctor Who style. And I'm loving the new Doctor- you hang on his every word waiting to hear what he'll say next! -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

President Solvite
President Solvite wrote:

The exterior shot looked like Bodiam Castle?

Know its filmed in Wales but wonders about establishing shots of Nottingham Castle.

Courtyard is at Caerphilly Castle, but exterior location shot (used about 3 times) was of the more complete and less damaged Bodiam Castle. Well worth a visit to either castle actually, I do love my fortifications Grin

This location shot was also used a few times for Robin of Sherwood (Huntingdon's castle). This and Robin's silly hat are the only connections between the two series that I can currently recall.

Ela
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

It was great to see a companion using the Ship's wardrobe to dress for the destination again.

Yes!

BradPaula wrote:

I loved every minute of the episode. The actor playing Robin seemed to be channeling a bit of Flasheart and Errol Flynn, naturally, and was very easy on the eyes. The actor playing the Sheriff had an uncanny resemblance in my opinion to Anthony Ainley. And Clara looked amazing in period costume. Also, a nice nod to Pat Troughton by flashing his photo for a second. Brad and I did discuss how Clara's diadem held fast to her forehead... we voted for spirit gum to glue it there- so an enjoyable romp in classic Doctor Who style. And I'm loving the new Doctor- you hang on his every word waiting to hear what he'll say next! -Paula

Agree with all of this. Though I have to say I did miss the Pat Troughton bit. Will look for it on the re-watch.

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

The actor playing the Sheriff had an uncanny resemblance in my opinion to Anthony Ainley.

Its funny you should say that because there was a line during the climax where the Sheriff offers Robin a final confrontation (can't recall the exact words) and it reminded me of the line in Castrovalva where the Master says: "But I've contented myself with one small, simple town... for the final meeting of the Doctor with his Master!" - the lines and setting are totally different but there was something about the line, the direction of the scene, and the way that Ben Miller delivers the line that made me think of that classic moment.

peladon
rojkerr1 wrote:

well thats forty five minutes I won't get back again what a load of twaddle, tired cliched and boring, maybe Moffat allows this stuff to be written to make his own look good? The only good bit was Patrick Troughton as robin hood and that was only for a second! 1/10 for that bit, another curse of the black spot debacle!

Totally agree. The 'fun' element lasted about 10sec for me and then it became tedium that not even PC could redeem. Pantomime is fine in its place but a Saturday evening in September isnt it.

Also it looks increasingly as if its to become the Clara show - a 20something earth woman with more wit than a 900 yr old time lordAngry

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.58 seconds
9,941,935 unique visits since 8th January 2014