Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
How long a B7 fan?
Tyce
I've ticked 1978 but it actually didn't start broadcasting in Tasmania, Australia till 1980.....but I love it from day one. I take that back - I was obsessed with it from day one - as my school friends, who I drove crazy repeating every single word of every single episode the day after it aired, will happily tell you.

timdalton007
Been a fan since 2009. Having heard about the series on numerous Doctor Who commentaries and extras, I discovered that one of my local public libraries had quite a few of the VHS tapes of the series. I got hooked on the first four episodes but sadly they were missing the next tape and, as luck would have it, they got rid of their VHS tapes right after that. That's where the lack of a US DVD release really sucks. It wasn't until I listened to the re-imagined audios (which I get the impression aren't exactly well regarded) and then was lucky enough to be convinced by a couple of forum members and the Big Finish people at a panel at the Chicago TARDIS convention to try the first Liberator Chronicles and Warship that I've gotten back into the series.

timdalton007

littlesue
timdalton007 wrote:

Been a fan since 2009. Having heard about the series on numerous Doctor Who commentaries and extras, I discovered that one of my local public libraries had quite a few of the VHS tapes of the series. I got hooked on the first four episodes but sadly they were missing the next tape and, as luck would have it, they got rid of their VHS tapes right after that. That's where the lack of a US DVD release really sucks. It wasn't until I listened to the re-imagined audios (which I get the impression aren't exactly well regarded) and then was lucky enough to be convinced by a couple of forum members and the Big Finish people at a panel at the Chicago TARDIS convention to try the first Liberator Chronicles and Warship that I've gotten back into the series.

timdalton007

Have you tried Youtube? I don't know if it is possible for you in the USA, but most of the episodes are on there.
Maybe Brad or Paula could assist, they are fellow American B7 fans.
By the way, welcome!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

meegat39
littlesue wrote:

timdalton007 wrote:

timdalton007

Have you tried Youtube? I don't know if it is possible for you in the USA, but most of the episodes are on there.
By the way, welcome!

Yes welcome! I couldn't imagine not having watched the episodes, can't you buy them on Amazon?
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

selden
For me, it's since the 1980s when it was broadcast on PBS stations in the U.S. ... so more than 20 years, but not since '78 Wink
Selden

Ellen York
littlesue wrote:

timdalton007 wrote:

timdalton007

By the way, welcome!

I'm also in the US. I started watching on YouTube last spring, but the copyright police caught up with them. By that point I was invested enough in the series to buy the region 2 DVDs and change the region code on my computer to be able to watch them. There is another video site called Daily Motion that has the episodes up, but their search function is a pain to use.

Obsidian
Like Tyce I ticked 1978 but fell in love with B7 when it first aired in Australia (was it ever repeated in Oz??). If that was 1980 as Tyce indicates, then I must have flow off to Cairo on posting with diplomat husband just after the penultimate episode of season C, thinking that I'd missed the last ever episode. Regretted ever since that I'd never seen THE END, but finally found my way back this year thanks to youtube. Completely flipped out over what was there and fell in love with the show all over again thanks to husband no. 2 who bought me the DVDs for my birthday. Been watching them endlessly since September (with space for hols) and doing a crash course in the last 30 years of B7 fandom thanks to the interwebs. Finally succumbed to the temptation of Horizon in December. So good to be here at last!! Smile Smile
Don't philosophise at me you electronic moron!GrinFrown

http://www.seraglio-design.com
Angry Angel
Welcome Obsidian!

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Sopron
Think I may be entitled to tick 1978 as I watched from TWB to S4 on their original release but I may be considered a fake as I had not seen a video/cable/DVD since, until I got all four series last year. In my defence, I missed 'Blake' due to no fault of my own and B7 remained alive (mostly) in my mind throughout the intervening decades. Still remember crying my heart out when Gan & Liberator died. I don't think I quite clocked that Cally was gone forever and thought that she, Jenna & Blake would somehow return (gimme a break, I based a 30-year solitary fandom on a single watching of each episode).

Thanks to the interweb a belated re-kindling has seen me invest in all four DVD sets (yes, I cried again) and now looking forward to the new adventures when/if cash allows. I've even finally signed up to the new-look Horizon, having lurked round the old forums (fora?) as a guest for the last few months.

So, do I count as an original?

Ellen York
Sopron wrote:

Think I may be entitled to tick 1978 as I watched from TWB to S4 on their original release but I may be considered a fake as I had not seen a video/cable/DVD since, until I got all four series last year. In my defence, I missed 'Blake' due to no fault of my own and B7 remained alive (mostly) in my mind throughout the intervening decades. Still remember crying my heart out when Gan & Liberator died. I don't think I quite clocked that Cally was gone forever and thought that she, Jenna & Blake would somehow return (gimme a break, I based a 30-year solitary fandom on a single watching of each episode).

Thanks to the interweb a belated re-kindling has seen me invest in all four DVD sets (yes, I cried again) and now looking forward to the new adventures when/if cash allows. I've even finally signed up to the new-look Horizon, having lurked round the old forums (fora?) as a guest for the last few months.

So, do I count as an original?

Your fandom arc is similar to mine. I watched most of the episodes on Wisconsin public TV in the late '80s, but at that point it was a solitary endeavor. A chance conversation inspired me to look it up again last year. I started watching on YouTube and got hooked again. I was surprised to discover how much a part of me it still was. Childhood fandoms seem to be rooted deeper than the ones I have discovered as an adult. Even among my geek friends, most people have never heard of the show, so I joined here to interact with people who actually understand what I am talking about. I checked "more than 20 years", so you should count as "since '78".

Sopron
Thanks, Ellen, glad I'm not the only one to have lost 30 years!

Tyce
Obsidian wrote:

Like Tyce I ticked 1978 but fell in love with B7 when it first aired in Australia (was it ever repeated in Oz??). If that was 1980 as Tyce indicates, then I must have flow off to Cairo on posting with diplomat husband just after the penultimate episode of season C, thinking that I'd missed the last ever episode. Regretted ever since that I'd never seen THE END, but finally found my way back this year thanks to youtube. Completely flipped out over what was there and fell in love with the show all over again thanks to husband no. 2 who bought me the DVDs for my birthday. Been watching them endlessly since September (with space for hols) and doing a crash course in the last 30 years of B7 fandom thanks to the interwebs. Finally succumbed to the temptation of Horizon in December. So good to be here at last!! Smile Smile

Yep it was repeated in Australia (or at least Tasmania) twice I think. I first repeat was I think in 1985. It broadcast at 11.30pm I was only 17 at the time and had really strick parents who would not allow me to stay up till 11.30pm. But in one of my few acts of teenaged defiance I refused to do buckle under and many heated arguments ensued. 'But' never argue with an obsessed B7 fan..... I won every argument - and watched every repeated episode.

BTW apparent it air earlier than 1980 in some parts of Australia (and probably later in others). I know cause I had a rather surreal discussion (almost argument) with a work colleague/friend of mine (who's also crazy about B7) about how old we were when we first saw it. The conversation sorted started with us accusing (in a friendly way) each other of lying about our ages, it moved to not being able to add up how old we when it first broadcast, then we related other events to first B7 broadcast to work out the timing - but that's when we realised that he lived in Sydney and there it did broadcast in 1978 where as in Tassie we were lucky just to get it - back then Tassie often just didn't get most good TV shows.

Frankymole
Since 1977 and seeing the Radio Times article. I also read the Hoyle novelisation as soon as it came out, but of course the first episode in 1978 cemented the fanaticism...!

Why can't I see the poll?
Edited by Frankymole on 26 January 2014 12:56:27

blencathra
Since the first airing in 1978, when I was instantly hooked. I've lost track of how many times I've re-watched it since then. The only episode I haven't watched again since the first airing is Blake. I still can't bring myself to watch it again. I can still remember how completely devastated I was. Just about ruined Christmas for me that year.

Hugbot
My first glimpse of B7 was way back in 1981, but I had to tick „1 to 10 years“ because my real B7 addiction started not before 2011. One problem was that B7 never aired here in German TV (but considering the silly German dubbing of Star Trek, you can only thank the Gods for that!). I happened to grow up in a city with a British garrison (Paderborn) and could watch BFBS/SSVC. Problem was, information about the schedule was not readily available for the general audience, so it was trial and error. One day, having watched some programme on German TV, I routinely switched to BFBS to look what was going on there ... and saw a spaceship hovering above some smoke clouds! Right: I was 14 minutes into „Rescue“!
I did not know what I was watching, but in the end credits I learned it was called „Blake’s 7“, which was rather confusing as there were only five people and no one of them was called Blake! But never mind, I tuned in for the next episodes.
Believe it or not, but I lost interest after some episodes. Being used to all the nice guys on the Enterprise, I felt a little uncomfortable with the more realistic, flawed heroes of B7. I remember especially that Avon’s remark „I need to kill her myself!“ really put me off.
30 years went by. One day in spring 2011 I was browsing a well-known Internet mail-order service looking for sci-fi stuff on DVD, and I stumbled on ... Space Maidens. That show I knew (it aired in German TV, I think it was even a co-production). Trying to brush up my memory, I discovered a Space Maidens fan website, where I read that this series is mostly remembered for being the last show Gareth Thomas made before Blake’s 7. Blake’s 7? That rang a bell. I wondered how I would react to that series now.
So I bought B7 S1. I really liked the first episodes. Watching „The Web“ I began to doubt if I would order the rest. But then came along SLD and Destiny, and I was finally hooked, bought S2-S4, had great fun and never regretted it. As PD wrote in his memoirs, B7 is for „disturbed teenagers and adults“. Maybe I just wasn’t disturbed enough in my teenage days ...

Sopron
Wow, Hugbot, never heard of Space Maidens, is this something else I should be looking out for?

Frankymole
Where are the poll options that people are ticking?

I have used Opera and IE and can't see them in either.

Gauda Cheese
Frankymole wrote:

Where are the poll options that people are ticking?

I have used Opera and IE and can't see them in either.

The poll isn't in the thread. Click down the page and hopefully you see it on your left right after Newest Articles.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

BradPaula
Sopron wrote:

Wow, Hugbot, never heard of Space Maidens, is this something else I should be looking out for?

I believe Hugbot means Star Maidens, which did indeed star Gareth Thomas. It's a real fun watch if you can find it. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Another 78er here...Though due to Guides I missed most of Barney's first few minutes..I used to run home as fast as I could to make the strt time...
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.53 seconds
9,802,020 unique visits since 8th January 2014