Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Dr Who: Into The Dalek
peladon
JustBrad wrote:Is his hatred of the Daleks in fact Self Hatred for his inaction, or does he still feel justified for his act of mercy against the most evil race in the history of the universe?

This is fertile dramatic ground that has yet to be explored.

Possibly, but I'm not sure that's what a prime time family show should be about.

However, is it really fair to consider the Daleks the most evil race? I would have said they they are what they are, conquest is what they do and they do it without apparently taking any pleasure in it or wothout any desire to cause pain or sufferring (as opposed to death). Humanity on the other hand tends to do the conquest and the other bits, and would probably go on doing so if it ever made it into space. As B7 suggests. So which is the more evil? The Daleks are the more successful at the conquest but does that make them more evil?

Spaceship Dispatcher
peladon wrote:

The Daleks are the more successful at the conquest but does that make them more evil?

Not really. Just because the Doctor keeps saying they are, doesn't make it a fact - merely the opinion of a regular character with especially strong feelings against them. There's actually quite a lot of evil in the universe, not all of it alien!
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

JustBrad
But as far as we know there is only one race whose reason for being is to become the ONLY form of life in the universe.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Dominant, not only; Dalek plans are usually for conquest and domination, much like the human ones.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

BradPaula
Not quite a Dalek discussion here, but has anyone else had trouble hearing dialogue over the sound effects and music with the new series? I have been missing quite a bit and it's not because of Peter C's accent. Anyone? -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Klenotka
BradPaula wrote:

Not quite a Dalek discussion here, but has anyone else had trouble hearing dialogue over the sound effects and music with the new series? I have been missing quite a bit and it's not because of Peter C's accent. Anyone? -Paula

No. I read it in more places, that the music is too loud and the sound is not audiable enough. I don´t have such problems. Maybe because I watch it on iPlayer with earphones on? Or maybe because English is not my first language, I pay more attention to it - like I listen very carefully to catch it all? *shrugs*

Thetis
I really loved, loved, loved this episode! Welcome back, Doctor.

Lurena
Watched this episode too thanks to my good neighbour! Grin
I thought it was good. I love that Capaldi Doctor!
As said by Klenotka: really an ***hole sometimes but still you feel he is the Doctor. And the hero

I am happy to see that Clara can appear a normal girl. I like the scenes of her with Danny Pink.
Bit troublesome for me, the turbulent filming is back again, fortunately not in all scenes.
And am I right in saying that the music was to be heard almost all the time again and that it was louder?
Distaste of soldiers?
There must be more going on with those (code) names Pink and Blue. Where does Danny come from? Is he, or did he kill Blue’s brother? The colour names remind me of a Quentin Tarantino movie….
I love to see Daleks, but I am very reluctant of the idea that there is any good in them, considering human norms and values.
I like the reference to nowadays interest in nano technology and the medical “examination pills”.
Minimize, may I notice a wink to B7s Orac's “stabilized atomic implosion” in Gambit?
Intentional, or not, to please B7 fans, “seek-locate-destroy” made us smile very bright.
I think we will not see the Daleks return soon, but we will certainly hear from Mr Pink.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
JustBrad
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Dominant, not only; Dalek plans are usually for conquest and domination, much like the human ones.

From Journey's End.

Supreme Dalek: Prepare for universal detonation! The Fleet will gather at the Crucible! All Daleks will return to shelter from the cataclysm! We will become the only lifeforms IN EXISTENCE!

Gauda Cheese
The Doctors had soldier companions before and I'm not talking anyone from UNIT
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Joe Dredd
Lurena wrote:
Minimize, may I notice a wink to B7s Orac's “stabilized atomic implosion” in Gambit?

I think it's perhaps more a nod to the story that introduces K-9. From memory, miniature clones of the Doctor & Leela go inside the Doctor's body.

littlesue
Joe Dredd wrote:

Lurena wrote:

I think it's perhaps more a nod to the story that introduces K-9. From memory, miniature clones of the Doctor & Leela go inside the Doctor's body.

The comment about "There's a film in there..." brought to mind 'Fantastic Voyage' and 'Innerspace'.
This week's episode was better than last week's, and Mr Capaldi has got some good lines and brilliant timing when saying them, but so far, I'm not that impressed with the overall 'feel' of this series.
Something isn't right...and I can't quite pin the reason down. Mind you, I'm not a great Who fan...but when you only had a handful of stations to watch back then, Dr Who was a blessing!
I'll see how I feel about the next episode...although the fact that Richard Green's Robin Hood was a staple of my childhood Sunday TV.....well, let's just see
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Spaceship Dispatcher
JustBrad wrote:

From Journey's End.

Supreme Dalek: Prepare for universal detonation! The Fleet will gather at the Crucible! All Daleks will return to shelter from the cataclysm! We will become the only lifeforms IN EXISTENCE!

That was one crazy plan, granted - but not representative of the whole canon of Dalek stories imo. Yes, they're evil; but it's the tag of 'most evil' that I'm unsure about as that's a subjective description rather than an objective fact.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Klenotka wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

No. I read it in more places, that the music is too loud and the sound is not audiable enough. I don´t have such problems. Maybe because I watch it on iPlayer with earphones on? Or maybe because English is not my first language, I pay more attention to it - like I listen very carefully to catch it all? *shrugs*

No, I'm not having any issues either.

peladon
JustBrad wrote:

But as far as we know there is only one race whose reason for being is to become the ONLY form of life in the universe.

Hmmm, looking around me I'd say the human race is pretty much of the same mind. Surely the Dr should be able to see that. But I suppose the human race of DW has more in common with Star Trek than Blake 7 (or reality).

Space Chopper
Some of Capaldi's dialogue sizzles in this. When introducing Clara to the team.. "She's my- another word for assistant..." Clara: "Carer?" Doctor: "Yeah, she's my carer. She cares, so I don't have to."

When explaining to Clara about not breathing during the shrinking process... "You know what happens when you microwave Lasagna and you don't prick the film first?" Clara: "Yeah, it explodes everywhere." Doctor: "Well. Don't be Lasagna."

And when they land in the protein feeder tank, when asked of their recently deceased colleague ended up in there...
"Yeah, top layer, if you want to say a few words..."

I just loved how darkly sarcastic that was.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Klenotka
"Top layer" was my favourite part as well. Actually, the whole scene was great - he laughed when he was sliding down the tube (while the others just yelled) and he basically enjoyed bathing in that stuff. I like this Doctor Grin

Ela
Ha, I don't want to see the Doctor and friends "bathing" in any more slimey stuff. Pfft
Reminded me of The Beast Below, when they're in the stomach of the star whale. Major gross out! Wink

BradPaula wrote:

@Space Chopper: I believe you are on the right track with your *spoilers* theory. We picked up on that right away. I'm sure it will be revealed to us as the season progresses. -Paula

Yeah, I picked up on that "spoiler" too.

I liked Peter Capaldi as the Doctor and enjoyed his sort of soul-searching out loud moments, I have to say.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Ela wrote:

Ha, I don't want to see the Doctor and friends "bathing" in any more slimey stuff. Pfft
Reminded me of The Beast Below, when they're in the stomach of the star whale. Major gross out! Wink

Jenna and Karen's costumes getting soaked? Works for me! Grin

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

From Journey's End.

Remember Davros is involved in that plan, and it's just a logical extension of his conversation with the Doctor in Genesis.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.56 seconds
9,101,219 unique visits since 8th January 2014