Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Dr Who: Into The Dalek
Klenotka
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Just about 40 minutes go... Happy

*sets up the iPlayer*

littlesue
I'm also putting on the surround sound...so that I can hear it properly this time.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Spaceship Dispatcher
Another stunning, stunning special episode! The classic 2005 episode Dalek was revisited but mixed with ideas from The Invisible Enemy (sans shrimp), Carnival of Monsters and last year's amazing Journey to the Centre of the Tardis; this was a real traditional Doctor Who story but taking elements of those previous adventures and using them in a new and exciting way. Some of the emotional, soul searching moments about viewpoints and morality and prejudice were well worked, especially the development of Clara's feelings in the way that she judges new regular character Danny for being a soldier but adjusts her view and says "not me" in the final scene after witnessing the same attitude in the Doctor. Its a running theme so far of the Doctor and Clara learning from each other, and it will be interesting to see how it progresses through the season. Once again, Jenna Coleman and Peter Capaldi were given some great lines and good moments together. All three regulars impressed me with their performances, and the romantic moments early on as Clara and Danny began their relationship were really nice and something else I'm looking forward to following through the season. Zawe Ashton (St Trinians 2) was also good in this, as a soldier rescued by the Doctor but who is ultimately rejected by him. The design work was good, the sound was good, and overall this was a highly effective short story told at a steady pace with the emphasis firmly on character development and exploration - 8/10
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

rojkerr1
Very good indeed , everything that last weeks story wasn't. Stories like this remind me of why I love Dr Who, imaginative, well written, genuinely thought provoking, capaldis horror at being revealed to be full of hate... his first musings about when he met the Daleks, found his direction, superb stuff!
Next week looks risible though!

Klenotka
Well, I missed parts of it...I think BBC underestimated number of people watching it via iPlayer so it stopped working in the middle. I had to switch to Filmon where the picture was less clear and the sound less audiable Sad

But even despite those problems, I think this is exactly the episode you appreciate after a rewatch. I thought 12 is fascinating character. 1) He actually has something as a plan. He couldn´t help the soldier so he used the situation. Maybe a little cold but he did it to save others. 2) He cares. It was very obvious in different moments of the story.
I love how Peter plays him - really an ***hole sometimes but still you feel he is the Doctor. And the hero.

Jenna was very good again. I love her and Peter together.
That slap was justified, btw.

Danny seems like a nice, normal guy, which is a nice change judging from the usual way they write male "companions" in the new series (Rory and Mickey both improved with time but they were originally written like idiots).

I am sure there is a plan for his character, too, because...Moffat Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
Klenotka wrote:

I love how Peter plays him - really an ***hole sometimes but still you feel he is the Doctor. And the hero.

A good old fashioned Hartnell-like 'anti hero'..! Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

peladon
Ah well it seems my role here to disagree.
Rehash of whats been done before, nothing new added, and without the special effects (which were good), and PCs delivery (which was brilliant) it was thin, predictable, heavy handed, moralistic and pretentious . Clara is starting to really annoy me and I'd rather we had lost her and gained the soldier instead.

Will I watch the next - undecided.

Travisina
I'm loving Capaldi - as SD said above, the Doctor is reverting to a Hartnell type. And the companions are about to become two teachers from Coal Hill School. Hmm... where I have seen that before?

The effects were impressive, the acting excellent. I was sorry that Ms Blue was rejected by the Doctor, I think she'd make a great companion. Anyway, what's he got against soldiers? He got on fine with the Brigadier for years and several regenerations.

I liked the Daleks chanting 'Seek, Locate, Destroy' - hey, all of you who wanted a DW/B7 crossover, your wish has been granted!

However, I am getting a bit tired of the Daleks - and I never thought I'd say that; they've been my favourite monster since I first started watching Doctor Who at the age of 5. But you can have too much of a good thing, and this did feel like a rehash of other Dalek stories. They're becoming like the Borg in ST:TNG - at first, utterly terrifying and totally implacable, then as they were brought back again and again, they became sympathetic ('I Borg', Seven of Nine), and I don't want sympathetic Borg. Or Daleks. I like them EVIL!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Klenotka
Travisina wrote:

I'm loving Capaldi - as SD said above, the Doctor is reverting to a Hartnell type. And the companions are about to become two teachers from Coal Hill School. Hmm... where I have seen that before?

The effects were impressive, the acting excellent. I was sorry that Ms Blue was rejected by the Doctor, I think she'd make a great companion. Anyway, what's he got against soldiers? He got on fine with the Brigadier for years and several regenerations.

I liked the Daleks chanting 'Seek, Locate, Destroy' - hey, all of you who wanted a DW/B7 crossover, your wish has been granted!

However, I am getting a bit tired of the Daleks - and I never thought I'd say that; they've been my favourite monster since I first started watching Doctor Who at the age of 5. But you can have too much of a good thing, and this did feel like a rehash of other Dalek stories. They're becoming like the Borg in ST:TNG - at first, utterly terrifying and totally implacable, then as they were brought back again and again, they became sympathetic ('I Borg', Seven of Nine), and I don't want sympathetic Borg. Or Daleks. I like them EVIL!

He was a friend with Brig and others but always had problems with a military. Also now, after he actually spent a few (hundreds?) years fighting himself (The Time War) he may have problems with soldiers just because he doesn´t feel comfortable. They remind him himself. Ten had also problems with a military. Not sure about 11, since he was a very inconsistent character.

I am not against Daleks. I think people feel they were overused because of Moffat´s tendency to put them into each finale, but never really *use* them. They were just in the episode. But I feel here, we finally got the old, good killing machines that actually killed someone. In a close space, with only a few soldiers fighting them. I think it was good.
But I suspect we won´t see Daleks for a while again.

Gauda Cheese
That was much better. Clever and did things i didn't expect.

I totally forgot Clara was a teacher.

I didn't think much of Capaldi last week, but given better material he's pretty good.

But why does the Doctor have something against soldiers? I miss something recent (that I don't remember) or is he channeling early Third Doctor?
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Space Chopper
A marked improvement on last week. Capaldi's Doctor showed hints of Pertwee at the beginning, and his Pyrrhic victory at the end was very reminiscent of the Davison era. Another B7 nod for me were the control bracelets that the team wore- they looked like Liberator teleport bracelets sprayed silver!

I have a theory about Danny Pink- I'll spoiler it:

I think he is actually the soldier in the story that wanted to travel with the Doctor, gender-reassigned. As a woman, the last name was Blue- now as a man, it's Pink. When referred to as 'a bit of a lady-killer', he gave an enigmatic look. I think the lady he killed was his female alter-ego...
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Gauda Cheese
The Daleks are the only big bads they have....... maybe if they reboot the Cybermen (You know, do them properly!) we'd have a teeny tiny bit more variety.

Moot point really as I never tire of the Daleks
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

rojkerr1
Think Seek locate destroy is in the Chase? Capaldi is dr 13 not 12, I loved it as i said, the mad dalek reminded me of the genesis machine

Joe Dredd
I really liked the 'helmet cam' shot from on top of the dalek. I'd love to see a bit more of this in an episode - a great long tunnel-like set with the dalek whizzing through it, dispatching everyone ruthlessly and efficiently as it negotiates blockades and obstacles.

I also like the shot of the dalek from the boarding party being blown up. It looked good and it was nice to see the humans having some effect, rather than absolutely none.

JustBrad
I'm a bit disappointed that with all the new episodes, there's been no direct reference to Genesis of the Dalkes, exploring the Doctor's possible regret that he didn't end them when he had the chance.

Klenotka
JustBrad wrote:

I'm a bit disappointed that with all the new episodes, there's been no direct reference to Genesis of the Dalkes, exploring the Doctor's possible regret that he didn't end them when he had the chance.

So you are disappointed that there was no reference to an old episode? I am confused...,

Spaceship Dispatcher
iirc the Tennant Doctor had major personal issues with Martha being a soldier in The Sontaran Strategem...

JustBrad
Klenotka wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

So you are disappointed that there was no reference to an old episode? I am confused...,

This struck me during school reunion. The Doctor (4) had the chance to destroy the Daleks forever in Genesis of the Daleks. In fact, it was his mission, what the Time Lords sent him to Skaro to do. He was in the original incubation chamber with the first batch of Daleks. The incubation chamber was wired for destruction. All he had to do was touch two wires together and presto, no Daleks, not now, not ever, never. They would never have existed. They would have been wiped from history. Of course, being The Doctor, he could not bring himself to commit genocide, even against the Daleks.

Fast forward to the new series. Gallifrey has lost the Time War against the Daleks. The Doctor could have prevented this. He could have caused the Daleks Not To Be. He passed on his one chance. How many Time Lords have died because he couldn't touch those two wires together, how many worlds have been destroyed because of his inaction, and more importantly, how does he fell about that. Is this the source of his anger and hatred? Is his hatred of the Daleks in fact Self Hatred for his inaction, or does he still feel justified for his act of mercy against the most evil race in the history of the universe?

This is fertile dramatic ground that has yet to be explored.

BradPaula
@Space Chopper: I believe you are on the right track with your *spoilers* theory. We picked up on that right away. I'm sure it will be revealed to us as the season progresses. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceship Dispatcher
@ Brad: although the 'new series' has revisited many characters, races, creations and ideas from the classic era, imo doing a sequel to a specific story might be a step beyond what they could get away with and not lose the younger audience or the millions of 'casual viewers' who are not fans and have probably not seen the original run; they are even less likely to be familiar with a specific scene from one story nearly 40 years ago. Congrats on passing 1000 posts by the way!
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 31 August 2014 19:51:51

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.45 seconds
9,812,822 unique visits since 8th January 2014