Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 1
trevor travis

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Painting Crooked Dice figures
Coser
OK, I said I would do it, so here is a start.

Unfortunately I didn't get as much time in last week as I had hoped, but I did manage to wash and prime them.

The techniques I will go through are useful for figures of any size, as I will demonstrate along the way, and are not the only way to paint figure models. This is just my way of doing it.

I used to be a big fan of Games Workshop paints and figures, but have gone off them of late. Partially due to the price of them, and partly due to finding another paint supplier that gives me more choice. I now use Vallejo paints almost exclusively, and am having good results with their coloured surface primers.

I have gone off using spray cans for priming as they encourage single colour priming, and I have found that to be less than usefull. The Vallejo paints I use come in 200ml bottles which I spray through a cheap spraygun (Single action suction feed airbrush) with good results.

First off, wash the models. As I had Blake and Gan undercoated and given an ink wash to show them to another forum, I stripped them in "Fairy Powerspray" first, then washed the entire collection in a mild solution of washing up liquid and water. Giving them a good brush with an old toothbrush, rinsing them, and letting them dry. This ensures that any mould release or oil from your fingers has been removed. It is then important to not touch them any more than is necessary. In the case of the Crooked Dice figures, the tab between the feet is a good place to hold them as this will either not be used, or not seen.

i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/SfWeaponsmith/WIP%20pictures/Crooked%20Dice%20Future%20Freedom%20Fighters/FutureFreedomFighters07.jpg
So this is Blake and Gan before treatment.

Once cleaned, I used my spraygun to give them an all-over coat of black primer. When painting figures, it is important to note that the colour of the primer will effect the final colour of the model. Black is traditionally used to darken top colour coats or undercoat metallic colours. However, I do not stop there. Once I have completed the batch I am working on in black, I clean my equipment and fill with a grey primer from the same company. The one I bought is slightly too light for my preferences, so I have added some black directly to the bottle until it is the shade I prefer. This is then airbrushed with the paint stream going slightly down on the model, but from higher up than the waist. The effect desired here is to get a gradual shift from black to grey as you go up the model, whilst leaving the black in the shadows. This can be run completely around the model, either trying to keep an even level all around, or lifting the grey up the model on the opposite side to where you want the light to come from.

Once all of the models are finished to this stage, I clean the equipment again and re-fill with white. This is then sprayed almost directly down on the model, just off to one side. This will determine the direction of the greatest light, so is generally used to highlight either one side of the face, or the whole face. Consequently, the darker areas should be on the back.

Once all the primer has dried, you should be able to see the volumes of the model much better than if you had used a single colour primer.

i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/SfWeaponsmith/Learn%20to%20paint%20figures/PaintingGuide01_zps9a53f4c4.jpg
The whole crew. I have omitted ORAC as he has no tab to hold him by, I will have to drill a small hole in the underside and temporarily glue him to a pin and hold him in my ppin vice to paint him, and as he is mainly transparrent, I will only prime him in white anyway.

i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/SfWeaponsmith/Learn%20to%20paint%20figures/PaintingGuide03_zps30f8b12b.jpg
Blake after cleaning and re-priming. This shows the gradual change from white at his face and hair to black at his boots. This helps to accentuate the fact that his head is closer to the light source than his feet. The undersides of his arms, under his chin, and below the creases in his clothes are all still black, giving a good indication on where the shadows are on the model.

i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/SfWeaponsmith/Learn%20to%20paint%20figures/PaintingGuide04_zps1594a3fd.jpg
Gan at the same stage.

i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/SfWeaponsmith/Learn%20to%20paint%20figures/PaintingGuide05_zps45ea6adb.jpg
And Soolin. Note, I have twisted the light directon for Soolin so that it is striking her from her left as I think this will make for a more dramatic effect with this model in this pose.

To show you the same effect works on any model, here is one I have to the same stage in 54mm, considerably bigger than our 28mm "Future Freedom Fighters"
i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/SfWeaponsmith/Learn%20to%20paint%20figures/PaintingGuide07_zps2afc6608.jpg

And even bigger are these SD (Super Deform) charactures of Spock and captain Picard from two generations of "Star Trek"

i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/SfWeaponsmith/Learn%20to%20paint%20figures/PaintingGuide08_zps41dee608.jpgi526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/SfWeaponsmith/Learn%20to%20paint%20figures/PaintingGuide12_zps80cb1c00.jpg
It's these two that I will be showing you how I work on from here as the size makes them easier to photograph and show you the techniques I am using, but at each stage I will compare them to Soolin to show you that it is possible to replicate the same effects at the smaller size.

Next time: Using a wet pallette to allow you greater control over acrylic paints, and working from the inside outwards.
"Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics, and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-Tzu, and Einstein, and Morobuto, and Buddy Holly, and Aristophanes…then all of this…all of this…was for nothing. Unless we go to the stars." Commander sinclair, Babylon 5.

Space Chopper
I've just become a convert to Vallejo paints myself, the range and variety of colours compared to GW stuff is just incredible, and the coverage of the paint is much better, I've found- and the dropper on the paint bottle helps to prevent the paint drying out in the pot over time, too.

it's an interesting approach to priming figures, shading from black to white- I'd be interested to see how this turns out. I normally either prime figures in plain white or black, depending on how vivid I want the final colours to be, or how atmospheric I want the end result to be. I shall be looking forward to the next post with interest!
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

purplecleric
I am always fascinated by threads about modelling, replica prop-making etc. It's something I've never done (lack of time & patience) but for some reason I get transfixed by these sort of threads. I think it's something to do with the meticulous attention to detail, the patience and dedication or just plain awe at the skill.

Can't wait for the next installment!

Coser
Unfortunately, there will be a slight delay. Of at least 6 months.

My health has taken a hit in one direction whilst improving in other areas, but I am not currently up to doing much model- making. I will have to break myself in with some other, larger projects before I can return to this scale with any confidence.

I am also now looking for a coucil house so I can do what I frelling please without the drenn of living in a badly converted garage which has mice in the walls now!

Sad
"Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics, and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-Tzu, and Einstein, and Morobuto, and Buddy Holly, and Aristophanes…then all of this…all of this…was for nothing. Unless we go to the stars." Commander sinclair, Babylon 5.

purplecleric
I'm sorry to hear that, Coser. Sad

Please take care of yourself first - B7 is important, but not THAT important Pfft

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.35 seconds
9,110,191 unique visits since 8th January 2014