Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 1
President Solvite

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Did Gareth write part of Season 2
magnificat
I was reading the blogging coments from an original B7 fan from the late 70's. She made a very interesting remark suggesting Gareth re-wrote parts of the S.2 episodes. Can anyone confirm this, and if so, fill in on which episodes they are?

briggsy1
Normally it's the script editor's job to do rewrites rather than the actor. Though they do sometimes suggest alterations if they feel certain lines in the script are "out of character". (After all they understand the character they play better than anyone else.)

trevor travis
magnificat wrote:

I was reading the blogging coments from an original B7 fan from the late 70's. She made a very interesting remark suggesting Gareth re-wrote parts of the S.2 episodes. Can anyone confirm this, and if so, fill in on which episodes they are?

I don't think that happened.

He may have made sugggestions to change the odd line at the very most. I think Chris Boucher was pretty hands on and at a lot of recording studios, so if an actor didn't agree with a line, he'd be there to see if it could be tweaked.

BradPaula
It's news to me and I've been a fan for nearly 30 years. I can understand a line being changed here or there if the actor thinks it is out of character for him, but that's what a script editor is for. No, I doubt the comment on the blog is true. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Travisina
It's the first I've heard of it. Horizon has interviewed Gareth a number of times over the years, and I don't recall him ever mentioning it.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

peladon
LOL, judging by what I've seen in various places in my time in the fandom it seems the series was written by almost anybody associated with it, apart from the person whose name was on the credits!

But as someone who has taken minutes and then been challenged to defend them by people whose recollections bore no resemblence to what actually happened I've never been suprised by it.Grin

magnificat
The blogger said GT was "responsible for some of the best moments" of s.2, which led me to believe the contributions alleged were more than suggestions/tweaking. But by all accounts it remains an unsubstantiated claim.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Sounds like the stories you hear about pop-stars getting multi-million pounds/dollars due to thier writing a line or phrase in a song..

The Spice Girls were reported to have added "Zigga zigga ah" to "Wannabe" and earned megabucks in royalities. I suspect it had an overtone of an urban legand.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Travisina
magnificat wrote:

The blogger said GT was "responsible for some of the best moments" of s.2, which led me to believe the contributions alleged were more than suggestions/tweaking. But by all accounts it remains an unsubstantiated claim.

'Responsible for some of the best moments' sounds to me like it could be a reference to Gareth's acting, rather than contributions to the script. Actors, together with the director, sometimes come up with ideas during rehearsal, which are usually to do with the way they perform the scenes. Perhaps that was what the blogger was referring to?

President Solvite
I think there was a scene somewhere in season 2 that he and Vere? weren't too happy with. Both wrote a version came back merged the two to form a combined version which worked a lot better than the original.

Ref: GT in one of the Together Again tapes.. I got the impression that this only happened once or twice for Gareth, certainly not for the majority of season 2

Stephen G also implied that he and GT redid a scene or two in Duel, just to make things flow better. (again same source)

Michael Keating also created a scene, to fill in where some location? film was damaged where he and DJ talked about not having enough time or something like that.. (yet another Together Again Tape)

It is healthy to let actors have some input on the series, as in the end the credit goes to the writer/director. It is after all a cooperative business.
Edited by President Solvite on 24 July 2014 08:05:20

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Hugbot
peladon wrote:

LOL, judging by what I've seen in various places in my time in the fandom it seems the series was written by almost anybody associated with it, apart from the person whose name was on the credits!

So Terry Nation, Chris Boucher et al. share the same fate as William Shakespeare ... Grin

I have heard of one instance where GT altered his lines after consulting with the director, and that was his sarcastic remark "Missed!" in Horizon (that may have been the scene to which PS referred). But that is just the normal process of actors ad-libing or offering some input. When you do a substantial rewrite, you want to be paid for that and get credited.

Travisina
In Roger Moore's 'James Bond Diary', about the making of Live and Let Die, he recalls ad libbing a line - "I'm sure we'll be able to lick you into shape" (said to the girl pretending to be Mrs Bond) - and then realising that the writer was on set. Roger joked that he should be credited for that line, which was in fact kept in the movie.

peladon
Overheard recently:
"If you want to lay claim to someone elses idea, just change a word or two then explain the whole to someone involved, or with influence, very slowly. From then on they, and everyone they report it to, will consider that its your idea."

Sadly my experience tells me that its true. It probably explains a lot of the rewrite and credit claims in B7 and a whole host of other TV etc too. By the time it gets to external sources like fans even the person who changed the word believes it. In fact the only person who wont is the person taking minutes at the original meeting!

Joe Dredd
The most immediate thing that comes to my mind is GT getting them to record his knuckle-crack and asking them to put it over the scene of someone getting a broken neck.

Joe Dredd
Hugbot wrote:
So Terry Nation, Chris Boucher et al. share the same fate as William Shakespeare ... :D

Note the great restraint with which I refrain from posting a comment about the Bard of Avon... Oh, curses!!

Joe Dredd
Hugbot wrote:
So Terry Nation, Chris Boucher et al. share the same fate as William Shakespeare ... :D

i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/Dash_Decent/Boucher_only_zpsfd43ed76.jpg

Reproduced with permission.

rojkerr1
Gareth came up with the "carve those words on your a##e line from The mark of Kane. and Darrow loved the b#stards and badges line from Logic of Empire

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.78 seconds
9,472,445 unique visits since 8th January 2014