Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

How do you rate the episode Deep Breath?
That was brilliant! That was brilliant! 7%[1 Vote]
It was very good It was very good 33%[5 Votes]
It was okay It was okay 33%[5 Votes]
hmm... quite poor hmm... quite poor 13%[2 Votes]
Total rubbish! Total rubbish! 13%[2 Votes]
Total Votes : 15
 Print Thread
Dr Who: Deep Breath
Klenotka
Well, I could already vote (I didnīt have enough strong will) Grin

I canīt wait. Peter Capaldi is a fantastic actor and I believe he is the right acting partner for Jenna. It certainly will be more challenging more her because with the split season and two specials, she didnīt really get a chance to show her potential yet. She and Peter seem to have a blast on the set.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Doctor Who: Deep Breath
starring Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman with Neve McIntosh, Catrin Stewart and Dan Starkey as the Paternoster Gang

The date for the episode has been confirmed as Saturday the 23rd of August 2014 @ 7.50pm UK time

++++++++

This is a discussion thread for the next episode, the new Doctor and the new series generally; and of course for reviews of the episode after broadcast. This time the episode, as with the anniversary special, will be simulcast around the world on the same day. The new series looks impressive already with a fantastic regular cast, new semi-regulars to meet, and some relatively high profile guest performers to add their talents to the show. I'm certainly looking forward to this year's new season!

The poll is for after the episode has been viewed - what did you think of Peter Capaldi's debut story?

Oops
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 11 August 2014 16:11:26
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
Klenotka wrote:

Peter Capaldi is a fantastic actor and I believe he is the right acting partner for Jenna...

Yes, that's my feeling too. Their styles should compliment each other nicely.

ps I like your time travelling post Klenotka Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Klenotka
It is not a time travelling...I saw it already Wink Thatīs what I meant by a weak will Smile I had strong objections against the leaked episode but then I thought it wonīt really spoil the experience and now I look forward to it even more. I never did such a thing and I will never do it again (I still feel like a hypocrite because I feel it is disrespectful towards the cast and crewīs hard work). I just...couldnīt wait.

As for 12/Clara - if 12 will be at least a little like 4 or 3, I think Jenna must love that.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Update:

The broadcast time has now been revealed as 8pm UK time

There is also a spoiler free review on Den of Geek: Deep Breath

Klenotka
I am going to see it in the cinema - in Dresden Grin It was the nearest cinema to me (about two hours by car) and much cheaper than to fly to the UK to see it Grin (I wouldnīt be that crazy, btw. Wink)

I canīt wait. I saw some photos of todayīs premiere in Cardiff - and the beginning of the world tour, and Peter with Jenna looked fantastic. Especially together Smile

Spaceship Dispatcher
Klenotka wrote:

I am going to see it in the cinema...

I'm also going to see the episode at the cinema now - booked the tickets today Grin

trevor travis
To paraphrase Slave: "The 23rd is very close, sir" Grin

Looking to this... the first full season of DW since the spring of 2010.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Apart from the one in 2011 and the one that started in 2012 and concluded in 2013 too of course... Happy

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Apart from the one in 2011 and the one that started in 2012 and concluded in 2013 too of course... Happy

I said full season. Since then we've just had bits of them at a time... not the same.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

I said full season. Since then we've just had bits of them at a time... not the same.

They were still full seasons, it's just the episodes weren't broadcast consecutively. But they were the same length seasons as every year, with only 2009 not having a full season commissioned. But season numbering is ideally a topic for a seperate thread, ideally in the DUEL forum, as its not specific to this episode and the points made will just get lost in a thread that gets buried as we move onto reviewing later episodes...

Space Chopper
Paint me as cautiously optimistic. When I first got into Dr Who, Jon Pertwee became 'my' Doctor, and rumour has it that PC is briinging much of what made Pertwee so great back into the role. I just hope I won't be as disappointed as I was with season 6.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Klenotka
Space Chopper wrote:

Paint me as cautiously optimistic. When I first got into Dr Who, Jon Pertwee became 'my' Doctor, and rumour has it that PC is briinging much of what made Pertwee so great back into the role. I just hope I won't be as disappointed as I was with season 6.

I think he takes a lots of inspiration from Hartnell/Pertwee/Baker as those are the ones he talks most about. Reviews from the premiere I read were extremely positive and spoke about a return to the classic (slower pace, longer dialogues) and 12īs similarity to first Doctors (Tom Baker was mentioned twice, I think). Also, there are already a few clips floating around from the SECOND episode and he is definitely close to Tom Baker/Jon Pertwee....I canīt wait. It will be very refreshing.

BradPaula
Has there ever been such a build-up for the start of a series? I'm being bombarded by images of Capaldi and Coleman on FB and other sites- the excitement seems palpable. I for one cannot wait to see how Peter fares. And if the rumors of Charles Dance playing the Master are true- oh, dear- it's going to be great! We'll be in front of the telly with BBC American on come August 23rd! -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Klenotka
Charles Dance wonīt be the Master - sorry Sad I am not sure it was a rumour, I think there was some talk about him being unavailable so it could still happen, just not this year.

But the reviews and reactions to the first episode are really great so I think Peter wonīt disappoint (only those who want to be disappointed and will always complain)

Also, Peter really looks great on those photos and him and Jenna together seem to be a perfect acting match. They look so naturally together. I canīt wait to see their season and I hope Jenna will decide to stay for at least one more year.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Update:

The broadcast time has now been changed to 7.50pm UK time

EDIT:

Just bumping this thread with the episode coming up this evening. Please feel free to post all your reviews here, not forgetting to vote in the poll at the top of the page too! And please note:

Spoilers are permitted on this thread from 9.10pm UK time this evening, when the episode will have broadcast on the BBC - if you have not seen the episode after this time, beware of checking this thread for new posts until you do see it.

Also the other two threads for Doctor Who are temporarily locked until Monday to avoid confusion!
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 25 August 2014 08:16:33

JustBrad
And thanks to BBC America, we get to see it the same day. Far cry from the classic years when we had to wait months.... or years...

trevor travis
Now then, that was more like it.

The change of lead actor seems to have done the trick. Peter Calpaldi is very good as the Doctor. We even had a cameo from Matt Smith to remind us how good Calpaldi is, in comparison.

No 13 is going to be a winner!

peladon
Capaldi as classy as one would expect, despite the nonsense he was insulted with. It was a real pity about the writing, because he certainly deserves better. One awful sloppy mess of a story, weak plotline, and heavy handed anti age and anti faith propoganda.

At least we will lose the 'pash' and teenage angst but it doesnt look as if anything else is going to change. Clara? Same predictable, boring, 'look how fiesty I am' dross.

Can we lose the 'impossible girl' and the writers too, then PC might have a chance.

LOL had to smile at the Scots digs though - no one associated with the series on Alex Samonds christmas card list I wouldn't think.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Just got in from the cinema! Wow - that was completely brilliant! The show was already on a fantastic roll, but this just went up another gear. The writing was excellent with some great lines for all the leads and some nice long dialogue scenes to steady the pace and give the actors some really good, emotional material to work with. Peter and Jenna had some great moments, taking a bold and dramatic script and putting the extra ten percent into their performances to take the whole experience up a level. So, onto specific points. The lines about being Scottish, and the eyebrow independance gag had the audience in my local cinema laughing heartily; but so did the delivery of many other lines that referred to the series past or some aspect of real life. The setting was especially impressive, and using the house for such a large part of the episode early on added a lot to the Victorian atmosphere in a way that has not been done in the show since Ghost Light or maybe even Weng-Chiang; the former not moving outside one isolated location. The whole mood of the piece was gothic and dark in a way that we have not seen at all in the Moffat era before this, and it was notable how a genuine sense of danger was created for Clara when she is apparently abandoned in the alien ship. Last season was great; but there was such a sense of confidence and fun that, apart from the last few minutes of The Angels Take Manhattan, there was no real edge of the seat stuff where you really felt fear or anxiety on the part of any of the regulars. Jenna's acting in the scene where Clara is alone and basically saying 'come on then, hurt me' to call the robots bluff was really strong. But there was also a lot of good humour, and all of it worked for me. The argument between the Doctor and Clara in the faux restaurant was simply wonderful! As for the ship and the robots themselves, linking the episode into another story as far back as David Tennant's first season back in 2006 was quite courageous and something I certainly enjoyed about the premise. Another great moment was the scene between Peter Capaldi and Brian Miller as the tramp, which was very touching and a lovely thing for the production team to arrange. Two things that are likely to divide fan opinion and stir strong emotions were firstly the cameo by Matt Smith as the previous Doctor, and secondly the lesbian kissing scene; the first I loved and thought was quite teary, the second I'll pass no comment on. The end was nice too, going the same route as The Power of Three and Day of the Doctor by fading out slowly with some good character drama after the adventure itself had finished. All in all, I only have really positive things to say about tonight. The writing was solid and packed with things to like and appreciate, the acting was top drawer, the mood was dark, the humour was light, the visuals of both period and fantasy elements looked good without taking over, and there was a nice 'feel good' mood by the end. 10/10

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.58 seconds
9,114,894 unique visits since 8th January 2014