Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Rewatch - Dr Who
Spaceship Dispatcher
Thursday the 24th of July 2014, starting from 7.45pm UK time...

Doctor Who: Kinda - starring Peter Davison, Richard Todd and Nerys Hughes

All are welcome to join Trevor Travis and myself for this season 19 adventure
Oops
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
Doctor Who: Kinda - starring Peter Davison, Richard Todd and Nerys Hughes

Plus Janet & Matthew, and that bloke out of That's Life.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Please excuse my lack of enthusiasm, this is the equivalent of you having to rewatch Time and the Rani... GrinGrinGrin

I'm trying to concentrate on positives: Richard Todd is a positive, Matthew Waterhouse isn't Grin

Oops
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 19 July 2014 13:39:00
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

trevor travis

Please excuse my lack of enthusiasm, this is the equivalent of you having to rewatch Time and the Rani... GrinGrinGrin

I'm trying to concentrate on positives: Richard Todd is a positive, Matthew Waterhouse isn't Grin

I had to watch Bonnie, so you have to watch Adric - fair's fair Grin Grin

Anyway, part of the deal is that we also will rewatch Snakedance, which I find extremely boring, so we both end up watching story we're not keen on Wink

Have to admit, I am surprised you don't like Kinda, given how much you like stageplays and how it is almost a Doctor Who televised stageplay. Wink

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

I had to watch Bonnie, so you have to watch Adric - fair's fair Grin Grin

LOL Grin It is indeed.

trevor travis wrote:

Have to admit, I am surprised you don't like Kinda, given how much you like stageplays and how it is almost a Doctor Who televised stageplay. Wink

Kinda just doesn't work for me. Its not even a story that I have liked in the past at any point, its just been the nadir of the show since the first time I watched it on vhs tape in the 90s sometime. I'll try and put together my thoughts on why I feel that way when I get a few minutes, but if I made a list of my 10 least favourite Doctor Who stories it would be in there for sure.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Here are my initial thoughts and recollections of the story:

Positives:

1. The design of the research base was impressive, something I always liked; but see (5) below.
2. The 'dream' sequences where Tegan meets the Mara on the astral plane are simply brilliant, an s19 highlight.
3. The vision of the future, or of the 'circle of life' on Kinda, that leads into an episode ending; simply superb.
4. Richard Todd and Nerys Hughes; but see (6) below.

Negatives:

5. The base setting; in great Dr Who some characters would be trapped inside, threatened. Here its just wasted.
6. Talking of wasting resources, relegating Richard Todd and Nerys Hughes to minor, sidelined roles was criminal.
7. The 'circle of life' idea is wasted on a bit of exposition. Events should have reset well within the story!
8. The 'studio as an alien planet' idea is always a compromise, but wide camera angles here expose it horribly.
9. The madness of Hindle just goes on forever and takes up loads of screen time, and then plays no part in the plot.

Add to that a script that marginalises Janet Fielding totally in any scenes apart from the dream, by making her the stereotyped pathetic girl companion in need of the Doctor's protection and advice, and that removes Sarah Sutton almost entirely for all four episodes and one of Matthew Waterhouse's worst of all performances as Adric (if such awfulness can actually be graded) and you have a poor showing imo. Great ideas totally wasted, top quality cast members under used, poor direction and camera work, and time that should have been spent on exploring the story taken up with things like Hindle's madness that are not relevant enough even to be called sub-plots. It just doesn't hold together for me, and the negatives out-weigh the positives; especially when the few positives become negatives. Just how I see it, mind.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Just a reminder that our Kinda rewatch is this evening and all are invited to join us Happy

trevor travis
http://en.wikiped...Waterhouse

Wink

Spaceship Dispatcher
Angry Oops

Spaceship Dispatcher
Good evening! I'm here and getting ready for the 7.45pm start Happy

trevor travis
Couldn't find any Kinder eggs in the Co-op...

trevor travis
SD, in your list of good things about Kinda, you haven't mentioned Mary Morris. Shock She's magnificent!!

trevor travis
Oh, and good evening SD Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Sadly its not possible to share Cadbury eggs via the internet Grin

trevor travis
So looking forward to this - Paradise Towers was fun, but it nearly melted my mind! Grin

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

Sadly its not possible to share Cadbury eggs via the internet Grin

If you hear a knock on the door, it might be from someone who's broken the World Record for travelling from Woodstock to Northampton Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

SD, in your list of good things about Kinda, you haven't mentioned Mary Morris. Shock She's magnificent!!

But she's so much better in The Andromeda Breakthrough with Peter Halliday with a strong script...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Started Happy

trevor travis
Here we go... the definitve Peter Howell version of the theme tune...

trevor travis
This story is sensible to get rid of one of the companions early on... three is one too many.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.50 seconds
9,931,185 unique visits since 8th January 2014