Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
New Horizon Poll
peladon
[

It is interesting that the title character and nominal hero is the most polarizing character. He seems to spark more active dislike than any of the others. I didn't see the episode Star One as a kid, so didn't figure out exactly how far he was willing to go for his cause. As an adult, I am more aware of the shades of grey, but I still like the character. His heart and ideals are in the right place, but he is both flawed and damaged. The reprogramming the Federation performed on him is my worst nightmare come true. I can't imagine having part of me simply taken away like that and can't really blame him for sometimes letting his hatred of the Federation run away with his common sense.

Agreed.

It would be interesting to see how true this was when the series was first broadcast and if there have been changes over the last two decades, in particular in those people who have remained within the fandom. Coming into the fandom quite late, and reading things written twenty years before, I see quite a shift. I'd say that itís a lot to do with changes in popular culture and also world events and the resulting insecurities.

Itís also interesting to note how a lot of peopleís view of Blake is defined by how they see other characters, and what was their fav episode, and also the last episode they saw him in. IMO a lot of people who dislike the character judge him by Star One, largely an anomaly in character terms, ignoring all the other information they have been given about him previously. So his humanity in Time Squad, his empathy in the Web , his concern for Cally in SLD, his sense and restraint in Duel, his willingness to risk himself in Project Avalon, etc all get pushed to one side and only the ruthless element (necessary for his role) and his sometimes over optimism gets factored into the equation. Itís odd. The only reason I have ever come to is some fans judge the character pretty much by the last events they see him involved in, even though they may have watched the other episodes many, many times.

Maybe itís the case that the type of people who have stuck with the fandom were those who disproportionately tend to view the world a particularly way. Itís also true that a lot of the people in the fandom will have no experience of war or oppression, and that also changes things.

Its one of the reasons why studying the fandom is nearly as interesting as studying the series.

Sopron
OK, I know it's not true to the spirit of the poll, but I've been watching this for so long and cannot see the poll end without a single vote for Gan. Truthfully, in the first series when it was all new, my loyalties were pretty much equally divided between Vila, Avon and Gan, as being utterly different but equally compelling personalities. I don't think that the ill-service of the scripts should overshadow DJ's sterling work in creating such a sympathetic character.

Yeah, alright, I'm a softy for an underdog. I'll hand back my self-serving, ruthless b*****d certificate later 'cos I don't have Avon's facility for creative excuse-finding...

Cool

Ellen York
I think you got that certificate under false pretenses Grin
Jenna is my favorite, but I do have a soft spot for Gan. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Lurena
I'm also very fond of the Gan character, Sopron and Ellen.
I was very disappointed when they wrote him out; he wasn't just a muscular simple mind. I liked him being the ship's medic and he seemed to improve his knowledge pretty fast.
I am still wondering how Terry Nation envisaged Gan. Did someone ever read/heard about that?
Gan is a very nice character to draw, I for one, enjoy that very much:
i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac236/neoantares/drawings%20and%20things/Nets%20of%20Avarice/fragmentGan-TIcell-kopie.jpg
(illustration Nets of Avarice)
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
peladon
Lurena wrote:

I'm also very fond of the Gan character, Sopron and Ellen.
I was very disappointed when they wrote him out; he wasn't just a muscular simple mind. I liked him being the ship's medic and he seemed to improve his knowledge pretty fast.
I am still wondering how Terry Nation envisaged Gan. Did someone ever read/heard about that?
Gan is a very nice character to draw, I for one, enjoy that very much:
i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac236/neoantares/drawings%20and%20things/Nets%20of%20Avarice/fragmentGan-TIcell-kopie.jpg
(illustration Nets of Avarice)

As we cant ask him, and as I for one tend not to trust any 'recollections of the time' the answer can only lie in the evidence on the screen. In the first half of series A we see him as a intelligent though relatively unsophisticated character who has no issue with trying a put down on Avon and who is more than capable of holding his own in non technical discussions. He appears to have a strong sense of humour and as much self reliance as his limiter makes possible. For most of series A he holds his own and doesnt seem to me to be portrayed as in any way a second class crew member. It shifts a little in series B but whether that is TN or other writers is hard to judge, certainly for me the Gan of Space Fall and Pressure Point seem quite consistent.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.52 seconds
9,177,456 unique visits since 8th January 2014