Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
New Horizon Poll
Furikitten
Vila, all the way.

I always wondered was it a concious thing, to call him via his first name, opposed to his surname. Even though the names are only covered briefly on character introduction, and then simplified throughout the series, I always found it strange that he is the 3rd female named human character.

blencathra
I'm a bit late to the party (as usual) but I've just voted for Vila. He's sweet, cute, and I'd trust him not to chuck me out of a handy airlock. Pfft

Spaceship Dispatcher
Avon still a long way out in front, with no votes for Gan or that lesser known crew member O. Ther

Only seven votes for Blake though, which I do find interesting...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

President Solvite
7 votes maybe, but it is a definite 3rd place which is what I would expect.

In pretty much every fave character poll over the years it has always been Avon and Vila in positions 1 & 2. With Blake often a distant third (dependent on number of voters) But is this surprising since they feature in most of the episodes? And in season 4 particularly they get most of the best or memorable scenes and lines.

Poor old Gan and quite often Slave (if he were to be included) would get the infamous 'Nil' points score. Most others scores would fall into the ratios seen here.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
trevor travis
Surprised Blake has even got 7 votes. Not a lot of people like the character (notice I say character, because Gareth Thomas is a fabulous guy).

It says much about the brilliance of B7 that even the supposed whiter-than-white hero has several deep character faults. Wink

Travisina
I don't think Blake was ever supposed to be 'whiter than white'.
Wronged - yes, well-intentioned - yes.
But also deeply flawed, and a person who makes catastrophic mistakes. I like Blake, and see him as a basically decent guy sometimes doing the wrong thing for the right reasons (and vice versa). But not a hero, and certainly not whiter than white!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

I don't think Blake was ever supposed to be 'whiter than white'.
Wronged - yes, well-intentioned - yes.
But also deeply flawed, and a person who makes catastrophic mistakes. I like Blake, and see him as a basically decent guy sometimes doing the wrong thing for the right reasons (and vice versa). But not a hero, and certainly not whiter than white!

I always got the idea that the Blake of Season A was written as a hero. But Gareth Thomas thought: "Well, that's not very interesting" and although not changing the dialogue, he portrayed Blake in quite a bullish, impatient manner. And then when Season B came along, the writers thought "I like what Gareth did with Blake" and took it that much further.

How would you describe Avon? I don't think he hardly ever did things for the right reasons. He just ocassionally did the right thing by accident. Grin

JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:

How would you describe Avon? I don't think he hardly ever did things for the right reasons. He just ocassionally did the right thing by accident. Grin

But what is 'the right reason?'

Perhaps it depends on your point of view.

And that was the whole point of having a character like Avon in the mix. B7.
It is one of the things that makes B7 unique.

peladon
[url=http://www.blakes7online.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=514&pid=19785#post_19785]

I always got the idea that the Blake of Season A was written as a hero. But Gareth Thomas thought: "Well, that's not very interesting" and although not changing the dialogue, he portrayed Blake in quite a bullish, impatient manner. And then when Season B came along, the writers thought "I like what Gareth did with Blake" and took it that much further.

Don't think I'd agree that Blake changes much until the end of S2, in fact there is not not much of a change until his abrupt switch of characterer/behaviour in Star One.

But its a very 21st century thing to equate 'hero' with nice. Blake has always seemed to me to be the classical resistence leader, to be expected given the era, and you dont get that role by being touchy feely nice. In fact you don't achieve much by being.....

I'm not even sure that makes him flawed.

Avon comes from a different philosophy, I'm not sure that makes him flawed either.

trevor travis
peladon wrote:
Don't think I'd agree that Blake changes much until the end of S2, in fact there is not not much of a change until his abrupt switch of characterer/behaviour in Star One.

But its a very 21st century thing to equate 'hero' with nice. Blake has always seemed to me to be the classical resistence leader, to be expected given the era, and you dont get that role by being touchy feely nice. In fact you don't achieve much by being.....

I'm not even sure that makes him flawed.

Avon comes from a different philosophy, I'm not sure that makes him flawed either.

IMO there's a change in Blake from "Redemption" which becomes really apparent in "Pressure Point", which is his low point.

I think he has shows some fundamental flaws in "Pressure Point", basically he's shown to be a **** leader Grin

From this point on onwards, he's lost the plot. He doesn't really achieve anything again.

peladon

IMO there's a change in Blake from "Redemption" which becomes really apparent in "Pressure Point", which is his low point.

I think he has shows some fundamental flaws in "Pressure Point", basically he's shown to be a **** leader Grin

From this point on onwards, he's lost the plot. He doesn't really achieve anything again.

I'd disagree, he's not different in any obvious way in Pressure Point than he is in SLD, only the stakes are higher and it involved 3rd parties. In terms of leadership PP shows him to be a strong leader (he gets the others to follow him despite the risksSmile) just a poor tactician and assessor of risk. Nor do I think has in any way lost the plot, but for Travis and the aliens he would have destoyed Star One - which is what he set out to do.

Spaceship Dispatcher
peladon wrote:

PP shows him to be a strong leader (he gets the others to follow him despite the risksSmile) just a poor tactician and assessor of risk...

Which are both qualities of good leadership. Getting other people to follow bad ideas doesn't make you a good leader, merely a good manipulator.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

peladon wrote:

PP shows him to be a strong leader (he gets the others to follow him despite the risksSmile) just a poor tactician and assessor of risk...

Which are both qualities of good leadership. Getting other people to follow bad ideas doesn't make you a good leader, merely a good manipulator.

Quite so... I hardly think leading people to their deaths is a sign of being a "strong leader".

I can't take Blake seriously after "Pressure Point"... he's damaged goods. And so much for his revolution.... "I've done it!!!!" Egomaniac!! Wink

peladon
trevor travis wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

peladon wrote:

Quite so... I hardly think leading people to their deaths is a sign of being a "strong leader".

I can't take Blake seriously after "Pressure Point"... he's damaged goods. And so much for his revolution.... "I've done it!!!!" Egomaniac!! Wink

Dont think I said he was a strong leader. Like it or not people who are good at leadership will get other people to do stupid and even wrong things. Its true that good leaders take care of their followers, but in this case Blake didnt see the risks as poor, which was self delusion, but probably honest. Military leaders always take risks with their followers lives, good ones minimise the losses. As Trooper Par puts it 'they dont waste troopers', but that doesnt mean they dont take the risks. In this instances Blake's risk taking was skewed however, but that doesnt mean he wasnt over all a 'good' leader. Good leaders are often good manipulators too.

As for PP and the "I've done it" I read that remark differently, for a number of reasons, so the ego mania is possibly your ptojection rather than actually a part of the plot. If I had to point to a point where Blake goes out of focus I'd say ot was VotP (shudder).

Little Man
Hi, I registered on this site so I could add another vote for Vila! As far as I recall, the first episode I stumbled on (way too late) when the series was first broadcast was City at the Edge of the World [the "Vila episode"], and it remains a firm favourite, hence the choice of username. Now having watched them all on DVD I love how Vila gets most of the best lines, yet, despite being as self-centred as Avon in his own way, he remains as remote as ever from the megalomania and bloodlust which surfaces in different ways in most of the others.
My other favourite episode is "Deathwatch" [the "Tarrant episode"] which seems to me like classic SF writing. But that doesn't mean Tarrant is my #2 favourite character: that would be Orac, with Gan 3rd.

Travisina
Welcome aboard, Little Man!
Vila's my fave character too, and City is my favourite episode Smile
I do find it amusing that Kerrill calls Vila 'Little Man', when he is quite obviously taller than her (even though Michael Keating played the character slightly stooped, to give the impression he was smaller than he really is!).
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Space Chopper
trevor travis wrote:

I got that manic Blake vibe even more listening to BF's Cold Fury today. Those that heard the episode will know what I mean, when he loses sight of the mission objective to pursue another that just happens to appear- and gets obsessive to the point of putting everyone at risk.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

peladon
Space Chopper wrote:

I got that manic Blake vibe even more listening to BF's Cold Fury today. Those that heard the episode will know what I mean, when he loses sight of the mission objective to pursue another that just happens to appear- and gets obsessive to the point of putting everyone at risk.

Not heard it so I can't comment. However, for me personally, BF is simply fan fiction and as such it not necessarily true to canon.

Little Man
Travisina wrote:

Welcome aboard, Little Man!
Vila's my fave character too, and City is my favourite episode Smile
I do find it amusing that Kerrill calls Vila 'Little Man', when he is quite obviously taller than her (even though Michael Keating played the character slightly stooped, to give the impression he was smaller than he really is!).

I'm sure she meant Insignificant, rather than Short. She disparaged him as a nobody, until she got to know him better.

Ellen York
trevor travis wrote:

Surprised Blake has even got 7 votes. Not a lot of people like the character (notice I say character, because Gareth Thomas is a fabulous guy).

It says much about the brilliance of B7 that even the supposed whiter-than-white hero has several deep character faults. Wink

It is interesting that the title character and nominal hero is the most polarizing character. He seems to spark more active dislike than any of the others. I didn't see the episode Star One as a kid, so didn't figure out exactly how far he was willing to go for his cause. As an adult, I am more aware of the shades of grey, but I still like the character. His heart and ideals are in the right place, but he is both flawed and damaged. The reprogramming the Federation performed on him is my worst nightmare come true. I can't imagine having part of me simply taken away like that and can't really blame him for sometimes letting his hatred of the Federation run away with his common sense.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.76 seconds
9,791,891 unique visits since 8th January 2014