Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
New Horizon Poll
peladon
JustBrad wrote:

I'm reading this as 'Favorite Character' rather than Hero.

I'm therefore going to cross out the word Hero....
And vote for Avon.

There are times I love Avon... Well, no, there aren't really....
There are times I hate Avon.... rather a lot.
But I am always interested in watching, even as he paves the path of his own destruction. It's rather like watching Lear in that way.

Avon was a unique character at the time, a Neutral Evil character thrown in with a party of (largely) Chaotic Good characters. And when he tries to change his own alignment to Chaotic Good in the fourth season, he goes mad, just as the AD&D rules on alignment change said he might.

Okay, I think I've over-geeked myself.

In summation, we had two full seasons of Blake's 7 sans Blake. Not sure we could have had two full seasons without Avon. I therefore vote for him not in spite of his flaws, but because of them.

I'd dispute Neutral evil, Avon shows no signs of being 'evil'. Morally neutral perhaps,but then I'm not even sure about that. No, thinking about it again I wouldn't even say that.

In fact one of the things that makes me vote for him is that he has a strong moral code - its just not one that late 20/early 21st century western culture finds comfortable.

peladon
Lurena wrote:

President Solvite wrote:
Re Blake's 7 without Avon?
Certainly its possible, Blake's 7 has so many interesting characters we could certainly have done 'without' Avon.

Totally without Avon? I mean, if you write my handsome hero out, can I have him for some company please? ( *blush* and hastens to say: just to eat chocolate dipped cookies of course...)

I once had thoughts about Cally taking the lead instead of Avon. It could have been interesting as she was initially a respectable warrior girl with intentions to fight the Federation, close to Blake, whom she admired.

Under some circumstances she works in a pseudo, passive, leader role as long as you assume Tarrant and Vila are still present but Blake and Jenna are not. If Jenna is present then Cally as leader doesnt work, if Tarrant is absent then there are a number of difficult factors to be overcome. Dayna tends to reinforce Cally and is too inexperienced for leadership of such a crew.

Lurena
peladon wrote:

Lurena wrote:

I once had thoughts about Cally taking the lead instead of Avon. It could have been interesting as she was initially a respectable warrior girl with intentions to fight the Federation, close to Blake, whom she admired.

Under some circumstances she works in a pseudo, passive, leader role as long as you assume Tarrant and Vila are still present but Blake and Jenna are not. If Jenna is present then Cally as leader doesnt work, if Tarrant is absent then there are a number of difficult factors to be overcome. Dayna tends to reinforce Cally and is too inexperienced for leadership of such a crew.

Interesting enough to think about, yes Peladon.

Just an upcoming thought:
And interesting enough to find out what nowadays writers would make of the female in the lead. Whether it is Jenna or Cally.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Tarrant On TV
My favourite member of the Liberator crew has changed over time.
At one point it would have been Avon or Vila, but in more recent times, I've begun to appreciate the layered personality of Blake a lot more and he's become my favourite crewmember.
Even in the second two seasons, his absence actually adds a certain amount of mystery to his character. When we see Blake again in the final episode and see how much he's changed over the years, it becomes even more interesting to ponder what happened to him during his absence.

Travisina
Tarrant On TV wrote:

My favourite member of the Liberator crew has changed over time.
At one point it would have been Avon or Vila, but in more recent times, I've begun to appreciate the layered personality of Blake a lot more and he's become my favourite crewmember.

My favourite crewmember hasn't changed - t'was ever Vila - but recently I've started to appreciate Jenna. I never really 'got' her before, seeing only the rather cold, hard beauty. And the fact that she wasn't terribly well served by the scripts in Season B didn't help, either. But now I think I've got a better understanding of her 'layers', just as you have with Blake.

By the way, welcome to Horizon, newest member - or are you a returnee? Welcome, anyway Grin
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Ellen York
Glad to see others appreciating Jenna. I always viewed the hard exterior as self-protection. As a free-trader she was operating on the margins of society and then ended up sent to Cygnus Alpha. I think she is well able to take care of herself, but not quite as tough as she would like to appear.

I had a similar coming to appreciate the layers of Avon and Vila. They didn't make much of an impression on me as a kid, but as an adult I think I have a better handle on what makes them tick.

Grade Four Ignorant
It'll always be Vila. But Gan would be a close second.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Another Vila fan here.

I was in my teens when B7 started and never understood the Sexeh Axon* thing at all...still don't in fact. As characters, Avon and Vila grew the most, both could kill when they had to but both kept thier essential selves, until Derek, when the small disapointment/errors/ accidents they had been lucky enogh to avoid started an avalenche which destroyed them both.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
peladon wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

{snip}
Avon was a unique character at the time, a Neutral Evil character thrown in with a party of (largely) Chaotic Good characters. And when he tries to change his own alignment to Chaotic Good in the fourth season, he goes mad, just as the AD&D rules on alignment change said he might.

Okay, I think I've over-geeked myself.

In summation, we had two full seasons of Blake's 7 sans Blake. Not sure we could have had two full seasons without Avon. I therefore vote for him not in spite of his flaws, but because of them.

I'd dispute Neutral evil, Avon shows no signs of being 'evil'. Morally neutral perhaps,but then I'm not even sure about that. No, thinking about it again I wouldn't even say that.

In fact one of the things that makes me vote for him is that he has a strong moral code - its just not one that late 20/early 21st century western culture finds comfortable.

If we want to go for thhe D&D aligment chart here..

I'd say

Blake. Lawful Neutral ( ex-paladin) wants to return every-one to the Law of his own standard.

Jenna. Neutral/choatic good..will do the good thing for enough money initally or for escape..self-perserxation was an early goal.

Axon True neutral...weighs every action before committing himself. Though odd inter-actios happen despite his own volution.

Vila Chaotic neutral.. self-preservation first..kills when he had to , but really would rather not.

Gan. Lawful /neutal good. never really developed as a person.Lawful Good..priest perhaps.

Cally.Lawful Good..potential paladin..

Dayna..Lawful good

Tarrant..Lawful neutral.

Sooolin... Lawful .Neutra her pay masterl

Travis ..Lawful Good from his point of view.

Seravalan..Lawful Good..from a certain point of view.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

JustBrad
IRT VD: and IMHO

My definitions for alignment are old school. Good is defined as taking actions primarily for the greater good, evil as taking action primarily for one's own gain. Neutral Evil, by this definition, does not necessarily set out to hurt others, but if it's a choice between them and me... Well discussed examples of Avon behaving in this way arise in Orbit and Stardrive. A subtler example, but more defining in my mind, is from Killer.

VILA: A quarter of a million volts and you're putting your hand in?

AVON: Ah, but that is self-interest. We need that crystal. Blake takes risks to help other people. Sometimes people he doesn't even know. One day that great big bleeding heart of his will get us all killed.

VILA: Unless somebody ditches him first.

This makes it even more fascinating that Avon is the leader of this merry band for two seasons, precisely because he is the more logical choice. Most of the crew are non lawful. In fact, Blake may be the only lawful character on Liberator.

Blake: Lawful Good, but having to compromise as he leads a largely non lawful party. By episode 52 he has changed to Chaotic Good with Neutral tendencies.

Avon: Sticking with Neutral Evil: His actions early on are largely self centered. You are right in that he weighs every action before committing himself, but I submit the criterion for his decision is what is best for Avon. His soliloquy in Horizon is telling.

Jenna: Spot on, NG with Chaotic tenancies.

Vila: Yes, the poster child for CN

Gan and Cally, yes.

Dayna: I'd say CG. Hal was LG, he wouldn't let her shoot the Sarrans, Dayna had no problem with it.

Tarrant: Hmm.. An interesting study. Most deserters aren't LG, but Tarrant has His Code. You've convinced me.

Soolin: I'd shy away from lawful. She is a hired gun after all.

Travis S1: Good point. Most LE's are LG's from their perspective (Javert comes to mind). Of course in S2 Travis comes off the rails and ends up CE.

Frankymole
It was Jenna for me when I joined Horizon in 1987 (I've stil lgot the free still), and it remains Jenna for me now. She could carry a series on her own!

Poor Gan though. Someone must've liked him, surely!

JustBrad
IRT Frankymole and all Jenna fans.

I would love to see a Jenna spin off, if they would write her the way she should have been written. Sally has lamented having finished playing Jenna the year Alien came out, introducing a strong, no nonsense female lead character in Ripley.

trevor travis
Vila still just four behind Avon. Vote for our favourite thief, you know it makes sense Grin

peladon
JustBrad wrote:

IRT VD: and IMHO

My definitions for alignment are old school. Good is defined as taking actions primarily for the greater good, evil as taking action primarily for one's own gain. Neutral Evil, by this definition, does not necessarily set out to hurt others, but if it's a choice between them and me... Well discussed examples of Avon behaving in this way arise in Orbit and Stardrive. A subtler example, but more defining in my mind, is from Killer.

Avon: Sticking with Neutral Evil: His actions early on are largely self centered. You are right in that he weighs every action before committing himself, but I submit the criterion for his decision is what is best for Avon. His soliloquy in Horizon is telling.

Travis S1: Good point. Most LE's are LG's from their perspective (Javert comes to mind). Of course in S2 Travis comes off the rails and ends up CE.

I'd personally say it depends on if you are expecting them to functions as some form of exemplar or if you expect them to behave as real people do. Real people show a mix of behaviours depending on context, perception of the options and belief system, though they usually do so in a consistent and predictable manner.

So taking Avon (because thats where we started) some of his behaviours are truly self cnetered, some claim to be but that claim doesnt stand up to scrutiny and some are most certainly not. For example, its not to his personal interest to risk himself to either a bomb or a live cable, certainly not when it would remove Blake without any blame to him. Nor does self interest explain his actions in Countdown. As for Killer, that more self preservation than self interest, they are different.

Ellen York
Frankymole wrote:

It was Jenna for me when I joined Horizon in 1987 (I've stil lgot the free still), and it remains Jenna for me now. She could carry a series on her own!

Poor Gan though. Someone must've liked him, surely!

Yay another Jenna fan! Maybe BF could a Jenna series. I'd love to see what happened to her during season 3.

I've also been feeling bad for Gan. I don't think he is so much disliked as just not a favorite. He does tend to get overshadowed by the stronger personalities.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Ellen York wrote:

Yay another Jenna fan! Maybe BF could a Jenna series. I'd love to see what happened to her during season 3.

They already have with 6.2 Jenna's Story which fills the gap between Star One and Blake; personally I agree that what happened to Jenna had both story and popularity potential to be a 'series' or LC box of its own, especially if Gareth was on board as well, but they decided to cram the whole lot into an hour and close off all their options. But if anyone is interested in expanding the audio through the fanfic medium there is certainly lots of potential because it was a pretty good story.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Vila just two votes behind Avon now. Vote Vila and make a difference - you know it makes sense!

JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:

Vila just two votes behind Avon now. Vote Vila and make a difference - you know it makes sense!

Og called me in tears. He's beginning to think you don't love him anymore. It's all Vila Vila Vila...

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Og called me in tears. He's beginning to think you don't love him anymore. It's all Vila Vila Vila...

Og need not fear. I've already started on the campaign leaflets and posters when it comes to voting Og as the favourite member of "Og's 7".

BradPaula
TT: No-one can ever say that you don't love Og. Photo is case in point. -Paula

i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/BradPaula/IMG_2425_zps9099b35a.jpg
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.41 seconds
9,122,101 unique visits since 8th January 2014