Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 14

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
B7 Fan Fic Recommendations
peladon
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

Is the Program you mention the fanzine released alongside, I believe, Ghost? I remember seeing it pop up on eBay a few times. If I recall correctly, it's a Post-Gauda Prime adventure about Avon and a new team of outlaws, right?

Yes.Program comes before Ghost and its PDP.In my mnd its one of the best, at least the first parts are, because the characters follow on pretty consistently, the plot line is plausible given the state of the B7 universe, and there is little wallowing in anything.

peladon
Lentila wrote:

I think The Machiavelli Factor is a fantastic B7 novel. Dare I say it (whisper) better than any of Big Finish's printed books so far. I hope you enjoy it littlesue.

Couldnt agree more, at least Ive not read any of the BF books the blurbs have been more than enough to put me off.MF is a good piece of sci fi even if its a just a touch angsty in a few places for my liking. Fron the sociopolitical persepctive it a wonderful and very insightful piece of writing.

Lentila
To be fair to BF, I haven't read all of their books - but the ones I have purchased have been a little bit disappointing so far. I'm keen on new B7 novels, so hope they will improve. The audios are very good though.

I like The Haunting of Haderon by the same writer.

Grade Four Ignorant
I'd also like to recommend the epic Jabberwocky series by Sheila Paulson.

The premise is that Season D was all a prophetic dream Cally had as she lied injured in the ruins of Terminal. After nursing her back to health, reuniting with Blake and meeting Soolin, the crew steal an experimental Federation battleship they christen Jabberwocky. The sentient computer system of which needs a telepathic link to one of the crew.

Lentila
Sheila Paulson is an excellent writer. Has anyone mentioned All But Reason? That's one of my favourites of hers - it begins with Avon being rescued from a Federation asylum by Blake, Vila and the others.

winnie-l
A pleasing B7 poem is "Psychosis and Other Aberrations" by Bryn Lantry in Chronicles 29. It starts particularly well (Avon speaking):

Madness is nothing spectacular.
If picturesque, one might notice its approach.
I once asked Blake, ponderously -
are you certain you're not a fruitcake?
Comically grave, he answered -
It's either them or me,
so it hardly matters which.
If it's them, I must keep fighting,
If it's me I imagine I must.

"Comically grave" is brilliant, & is something Gareth Thomas acted well, one can really see it in the mind's eye!

It's set in S4, since Avon says that Cally is dead. Then it goes on to - I think - refer to an S4 B7 episode that I don't recognize (or it could I suppose refer to some un-seen episode, maybe a B7 fanfic story that the author wrote or read) :

Blake was acquainted with paranoia.
Yesterday after that pirate was dead I wondered,
did I just imagine he was carrying the laser for me?

*Assuming* this is supposed to refer to an S4 B7 epsiode, the only one I can think of with pirates is 46.Assassin.

Well, in 51.Warlord Boorva calls Zukan a pirate, so maybe that one too.

What does Avon mean (in this poem) about a (now dead) pirate "carrying the laser for me" ? Does it refer to Benos' gun, during the scrabbling fight in 46.Assassin? (Dayna aims at Servalan, is attacked by a pirate who she clubs with her spare gun, tosses the spare gun to Avon, Benos charges Dayna & Avon shoots Benos)

Or does "that pirate" (now dead) refer to Zukan? In which case "carrying the laser for me" is (to me) equally puzzling.

Enlightment (even speculation) welcome!

Joe Dredd
Bryn's a brilliant writer. I wish I had her gift with words.

Perhaps the pirate referred to was meant to be one of the Amagons, or it may have been a reference to one of her earlier stories. She had a continuity going in a couple of stories with the clone taking Blake's place while Blake used the name Jor.

There's a pleasing number of Bryn's stories & poems available at An Archive of Our Own (Click here) but unfortunately not the brilliant 'Derelicts'. Be careful of her work at An Archive of Our Own though as some of it seems a bit slash-y, and it's unmarked (e.g. 'The Other Half of the War'). In ye olde days of print Bryn would write slash under the pseudonum 'xBryn' to distinguish her stories, but there's no separation at the Archive.
Edited by Joe Dredd on 14 October 2014 07:24:13

Ellen York
I just found this one on AO3. What if the Liberator did end up with a larger crew?

http://archiveofo...ks/2509448

Travisina
Stunned by Love by Nicola Mody
This is a PGP Avon-Servalan story (also featuring Vila and Soolin) that really works, both in terms of the romantic element and a credible explanation for the events on Gauda Prime. Nicola's writing is excellent; she really captures the characters and their voices.
http://www.farsig...tunned.htm
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

winnie-l
Nicola's writing is excellent; she really captures the characters and their voices.
She certainly does! She writes some wonderful B7 fic.

A couple other favorites are "All Empires Fall" and "Delegation", about a couple of wonderfully (albeit briefly) drawn Federation semi-technical workers dealing with work frustrations. Short & really well written!

"All Empires Fall"
http://b7friday.l...88869.html
"Delegation"
http://b7friday.l...83096.html

And praise for "Androids" too - Thank goodness they were only androids!
http://www.farsig...n/pgp3.htm
"Not quite so short, but too cracked to go anywhere else."
Very silly & amusing but so well-written.
Enjoy!

Panna
Peladon's Illusions and Realities is good. I hope it shows up on this site someday.
"You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? "Hey, man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

Spaceship Dispatcher
Just had a second read of Rehearsal in the fanfic section of Horizon; a humorous little sketch that I could imagine Paul and Gareth doing on the set for something like the BBC Christmas tape. It works, and is a private moment of the sort that would happen many times in the confined environment of a ship during a long voyage. The description of Zen as mutinous rather then malfunctioning or operating beyond its design limits was interesting, suggesting true sentience and self-determination rather than the normal constraints of artificial intelligence.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Ellen York
A couple that I have recently enjoyed.

A Mile Away with their Shoes
http://archiveofo...ks/2813261
Gan and ORAC are literally stuck together. It sounds like a ridiculous premise for a story, but is actually an interesting exploration of both of them. ORAC comes off as quite human.

Tell me Again about this Human Thing
http://archiveofo...ks/2681441
Dayna, Tarrant, and the human bonding ceremony again. Fluff, but fun and season 4 could really use more fun stories.

Travisina
Ellen York wrote:

A couple that I have recently enjoyed.

A Mile Away with their Shoes
http://archiveofo...ks/2813261
Gan and ORAC are literally stuck together. It sounds like a ridiculous premise for a story, but is actually an interesting exploration of both of them. ORAC comes off as quite human.

That's a really nice story Smile

meegat39
I've just read SD's story Through the Needle's Eye, it's a lovely B7 story and all the characters are spot on as before. If you can ignore the dodgy science (just pretend you are watching B7!) it's a great story with a very nice ending. I love the Blake/Avon sparring...
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Travisina
Loving purplecleric's Choices series -

Ice and Fire (Jenna)
Limited (Gan)
Solitary (Cally)

... with more to come!

Ellen York
This seems to be my month for crying over Gan-fic (A Mile Away with their Shoes, Limited, and Empty Chairs). All very good, but sad. Something I hadn't really thought about before is that he was probably living on borrowed time even more than the others. The limiter had malfunctioned once, it would have done so again eventually. From that perspective, at least he got a more meaningful death (ie saving the others). I really need to go read something happy now. Smile

Joe Dredd
Yes, I was surprised by some of the comments Jenna made to Blake in the BF audios about Gan's death. If Blake hadn't got him off Cygnus Alpha, and got him looked at on XK-72, his life would have been much shorter.

JustBrad
Joe Dredd wrote:

Yes, I was surprised by some of the comments Jenna made to Blake in the BF audios about Gan's death. If Blake hadn't got him off Cygnus Alpha, and got him looked at on XK-72, his life would have been much shorter.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see Jenna and Cally pushing back in the BF audios, rather than submitting.

Joe Dredd
I'm all for BF ensuring all the cast are used to the full, but they can't just have them disagreeing with each other for the sake of it. There was another part in one of the BF audios where Cally tells off Blake for destroying the attackers who were chasing her and Jenna (and threatening their lives). So, pushing back, but it ignored Cally's own actions destroying the gunship in 'Shadow' (to help her own threatened crewmates) so wasn't believable in the context of what had gone before.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.53 seconds
9,809,608 unique visits since 8th January 2014