Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
B7 Fan Fic Recommendations
Travisina
Ellen York wrote:

This seems to be my month for crying over Gan-fic (A Mile Away with their Shoes, Limited, and Empty Chairs). All very good, but sad. Something I hadn't really thought about before is that he was probably living on borrowed time even more than the others. The limiter had malfunctioned once, it would have done so again eventually. From that perspective, at least he got a more meaningful death (ie saving the others). I really need to go read something happy now. Smile

Isn't that always the way? Fan fic is like buses - no Gan stories for years, then three come along at once!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

winnie-l
Ellen York wrote:
A Mile Away with their Shoes
http://archiveofo...ks/2813261
Gan and ORAC are literally stuck together. It sounds like a ridiculous premise for a story, but is actually an interesting exploration of both of them. ORAC comes off as quite human..
Thanks**N for pointing this out, I too really enjoyed this story. Yay Gan!

Anniew
Love all these stories. Purple cleric's Choices make me cry, Travissima's Rehearsal makes me laugh and in between I run the gamut from intrigue, to delight, from despair to hope. Do we know who wrote The Last Warning in our January ficlet challenge. It is creepy and good!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Ellen York
The Final Warning is by Hugbot.

winnie-l
She's done it again! Vilakins has posted a recent new B7 short fic, it's highly amusing AND heartening (Yay! Servalan gets her due!) & clever.
http://archiveofo...ks/2908124
Commission by Vilakins

Only wish it was longer. She's such a talented writer!

Joe Dredd
Nice! Well spotted, Winnie.

meegat39
Brilliant! Thanks Winnie Smile
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

winnie-l
Recommended: An excellent PGP (Post-Gauda-Prime) story by Victoria Martin, "Absence of Information".
At Hermit (which appears to be up again/still!), pointer to it here:
http://www.hermit...mp;ST=0461

VERY well written & the scenes of Avon 'remembering' (he starts waking up from the Federation drug-induced hallucination) are hilariously brilliant IMHO.

"It was all too bizarre for words. Avon was accustomed to the feeling that he was the only sane person on a ship of lunatics, but this was going too far."

Several of the parts (of 11) are in 1st person POV, & the author has the skill to get the 1st person POV voice "just right" so that pretty instantly you know who's speaking - even when it switches from one part of 1st person POV to someone else in next part. KUDOS!!

Travisina
winnie-l wrote:

Recommended: An excellent PGP (Post-Gauda-Prime) story by Victoria Martin, "Absence of Information".
At Hermit (which appears to be up again/still!), pointer to it here:
http://www.hermit...mp;ST=0461

Thanks for the recommendation, winnie-l, I really enjoyed that. Although I was sorry that not everybody survived GP - another case of the writer ditching her least-favourite character? - it was great to follow the actions and thought processes of those who did.

Ellen York
Found this one on AO3, Tarrant writing his memoirs long after the events on Liberator and Scorpio.

http://archiveofo...s/11028194

Ellen York
"The Sound of Ideologies Clashing"
The Liberator receives a distress call from a planet of libertarians. Some good Blake/Avon interaction and an interesting look a how ideologies are problematic if taken to extreme.

http://archiveofo...ks/5058214

winnie-l
Jean Graham is an expert B7 Fanfic writer - her grim stories are some of my favorites! but she also writes other more
drama-oriented & even lighthearted B7 fanfic.

Her B7 fic site is newly moved to a differernt provider & spiffed up:
http://jeangraham.20m.com/b7/blakes7.htm
http://jeangraham...lakes7.htm

"Reprisals" is recommended, if you like deeply grim B7 fanfic, as it "Next On My List".
But really most of them are good. WARNING: "Mirage" is soooooo surreal!!!

ENJOY & pass on the URL to whoever might like to read some of Jean Graham's excellent B7 fanfic!
http://jeangraham.20m.com/b7/blakes7.htm
http://jeangraham...lakes7.htm

sooper mouse
JustBrad wrote:

There was a brilliant fanfic (Can't remember the title or the author, but it was incredibly good), in which nothing after Terminal happened, as Avon was still hooked up to the machine.

The Feds programmed Avon to believe S4 had happened, in some cases using lookalikes for the crew, and then pointed him at Blake (who was back on Liberator) and turned him loose. Avon, now with an understandably tenuous grip on reality, was ready to shoot anything that didn't fit his programming.

But being Avon, things didn't quite work out the way the Feds planned.

that actually makes sense tbh.
Of course there's nothing stopping them from planting the thought that he killed Blake on GP as well.
We need a fanfic directory.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

Travisina
sooper mouse wrote:

It's something I've been working on, on and off, for a while, based on a suggestion by writer MG Harris who I met at a convention in 2014. She thought it would be great if Horizon could curate B7 fan fic - not necessarily host it (haven't got the resources!) but to collate recommendations and links to stories on AO3, fanfiction.net etc.

I started a thread HERE for people to post their recommendations, the idea being eventually to build these up into a permanent directory on the website. It's a long-term project, and further suggestions are welcome.

sooper mouse
Travisina wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

It's something I've been working on, on and off, for a while, based on a suggestion by writer MG Harris who I met at a convention in 2014. She thought it would be great if Horizon could curate B7 fan fic - not necessarily host it (haven't got the resources!) but to collate recommendations and links to stories on AO3, fanfiction.net etc.

I started a thread HERE for people to post their recommendations, the idea being eventually to build these up into a permanent directory on the website. It's a long-term project, and further suggestions are welcome.

I actually really like the solution developed at Hermit, sometimes you just want to read a feelgood story after one of the more painful episodes. Being able to sort the stories based on characters , period and ending is quite a neat solution.
if we can get them catalogued I can try to put something together in a cms format, but it might be a while.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

Travisina
sooper mouse wrote:

I actually really like the solution developed at Hermit, sometimes you just want to read a feelgood story after one of the more painful episodes. Being able to sort the stories based on characters , period and ending is quite a neat solution.

That's a good system. I don't want to tread on Hermit's toes (so to speak), or to duplicate things they've already done, but it would be useful to have something similar on here.

if we can get them catalogued I can try to put something together in a cms format, but it might be a while.

I don't know what cms is! Oops
I was thinking more along the lines of a list with clickable links of various categories. But any help would be gratefully received.

sooper mouse
Travisina wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

That's a good system. I don't want to tread on Hermit's toes (so to speak), or to duplicate things they've already done, but it would be useful to have something similar on here.

I was thinking more along the lines of a list with clickable links of various categories. But any help would be gratefully received.

a content management system- where all entries are organised by category and tags, a bit like wordpress but less complicated.
Like, you could choose the season, and type, and main characters and whether or not it is adult and whether or not it has a happy ending, or the major themes, maybe you want all auron stories that have a happy ending and have Blake in them and are pre TWB

Travisina
sooper mouse wrote:

Travisina wrote:

a content management system- where all entries are organised by category and tags, a bit like wordpress but less complicated.
Like, you could choose the season, and type, and main characters and whether or not it is adult and whether or not it has a happy ending, or the major themes, maybe you want all auron stories that have a happy ending and have Blake in them and are pre TWB

Thanks for the explanation, SM. That sort of set-up is probably well beyond the scope of this website, but I'll try to find out if it could be a separate standalone add-on.
Anyway, between us I think we've well and truly derailed this rewatch thread, so instead of continuing this discussion here, I'm going to move it to the fanfic recommendations thread.

Anniew
There's a post Gauda Prime story just started on the fan fiction net. It called An Old Wall. Servalan has brain washed Avon to forget who he is but is obsessed by him still. A girl rebel wants to get him to remember in order to find Orac but her brother and other rebels aren't so keen because he killed Blake. There is torture, some sex ( but not too much detail) and the girl protagonist is quite tough and interesting. Avon pre regaining his memories is different to Avon post regaining them- he's tough, realistic, unsentimental and dangerous once he remembers who he is but physically compromised. Servalan is horrible and even more dangerous. It's only up to chapter five so it's difficult to know how the story is going to develop but it's kept my interest so far.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

sooper mouse
Travisina wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, SM. That sort of set-up is probably well beyond the scope of this website, but I'll try to find out if it could be a separate standalone add-on.
Anyway, between us I think we've well and truly derailed this rewatch thread, so instead of continuing this discussion here, I'm going to move it to the fanfic recommendations thread.

well, see, the issue isn't the code, I have a couple of proprietary CMS' to my name.
The issue is the gathering of data and the categorizing.
sometime after Xmas I can put together a structure idea and send it to you, is that ok? I'm a bit out of my head right now

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
9,098,270 unique visits since 8th January 2014