Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 16

· Rebels Active: 3
meegat39, trevor travis, littlesue

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
B7 Fan Fic Recommendations
Travisina
Read a good story? Share it here!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
Have you read a fanfic either here or elsewhere, of Blake's 7 or any other fandom, and enjoyed it so much that you wanted to tell everyone about it? This is a review thread for posting your thoughts, feelings and observations about fanfic works you have read and wish to write about that don't already have their own dedicated discussion thread. Please do bear in mind though that fanfic writers share their work voluntarily as part of enjoying their hobby, and may also read your comments here, so please don't tear their efforts apart or be too unkind in your sentiments! As a fanfic writer myself, I'm happy for my work to be commented upon and look forward to joining in the discussions here...

SD
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Joe Dredd
I highly recommend The Wit and Wisdom of the Dead by Neil Faulkner.

"Travis is a man with a mission, to reach Star One before Blake and betray the entire human race. Straightforward enough, except for two minor problems. He doesn't know where Star One is, and Lurgen's brainchip doesn't want to tell him."

Neil wrote a number of excellent stories, but to my mind this is the best and I have reread it several times. It originally appeared in Star Three.

Joe Dredd
Here's a good one set during that classic(!), Animals.

Just what happened to Vila after he fixed the glycolene ballast channels? Did he really get the rough end of the deal?

In Hot Water by Daisee Chain

It's super short. Run and read it now!

Joe Dredd
Another one I enjoyed was Flies in Amber by Mithen.

A young boy sees ghosts on Gauda Prime.

winnie-l
Joe Dredd, those are primo primo excellent stories. Also Hunter by Neil Faulkner is great (at Hermit).

I love Nicola Mody's "Sartorially Challenged"
http://b7friday.l...51117.html
since it cleverly explains Vila's peculiar rubbery-yellow "crossing-guard" thing he's wearing in 18.PressurePoint.
And it's an amusing story too, and the writing is perfect - spare but brilliant.

Joe Dredd
Of course, there are these literary classics...

i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/Dash_Decent/Books_zps97badfdd.jpg

(mods: reproduced with permission)

Grade Four Ignorant
Narelle Harris' epic Phoenix is worth checking out.

It's an interesting idea, splitting up the regulars after Gauda Prime and seeing how they cope. Dayna and Soolin are sold into slavery and Tarrant is reprogrammed to become a loyal Space Command officer. Vila takes centre stage early on when he and Avon are exiled to a barren penal colony where Vila must look after an unresponsive and shellshocked Avon.

The story does waver and go astray occasionally - a subplot about two pop stars that goes nowhere and the cop out of using time travel to rescue dead characters - but it's a solid tale overall. I especially love the tale of a broken and scarred Blake who has given up on the rebellion and descends into alcohol abuse and nihilism.

Joe Dredd
Good call, G4I! Do you know if it is available on line anywhere?

I quite enjoyed the parts with the 'chronoport', actually. Having Avon & Vila in the wings watching the events unfold in the tracking gallery was exciting, particularly as there was a chance Avon might relapse into the catatonic state we find him at the start of the first story. Rescuing Jenna against her will was excellent too.

Joe Dredd
winnie-l wrote:
since it cleverly explains Vila's peculiar rubbery-yellow "crossing-guard" thing he's wearing in 18.PressurePoint.
And it's an amusing story too, and the writing is perfect - spare but brilliant.

That was great! Thanks for pointing it out, Winnie. Much appreciated!

Joe Dredd
I don't believe it's available on line, but I highly recommend "The Young Ladies Home Companion" by Alison Page, published in the zine "Stadler Link".

It's reminiscent of "The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson, while remaining wholly its own invention.

If anyone sees it appear on line, please let me know!

Grade Four Ignorant
Joe Dredd wrote:

Good call, G4I! Do you know if it is available on line anywhere?

I quite enjoyed the parts with the 'chronoport', actually. Having Avon & Vila in the wings watching the events unfold in the tracking gallery was exciting, particularly as there was a chance Avon might relapse into the catatonic state we find him at the start of the first story. Rescuing Jenna against her will was excellent too.

After years of looking, I managed to find a dead link amongst the remains of the Tarrant Nostra website. Using Wayback Machine, I was able to access the stories.
http://web.archiv...u/blakes7/
I've recently begun a project that involves searching through the various links on Wayback Machine to find a perfect copy of the website that still has the original artwork. There's a particularly nice one of Avon and Kiv Martine aboard their new ship, The Lady, that I've always liked.

Travisina
Between Life and Death by Aquitar
http://archiveofo...rs/3978568

You, a Blake's fan, receive you first fanzine in the post. You are greedily devouring it, only to find that a printing error has deprived you of the bulk of the story. You embark upon a search for the continuation of the book, but instead discover a world of Blake's 7 fandom, fiction, arguments about canon and discussions about the fabled Blake's 7 movie, all the while beginning a series of new and fascinating Blake's 7 fictions...

I've just spent the past two days taking time out to read this when I really should have been doing other things! It's a brave concept and intriguing narrative style - interspersed with the actual fan fiction chapters (each one compelling in its own right) are takes on fans and fandoms, writers and actors, collectors and conventions... highly recommended!

**PLEASE NOTE - THE AUTHOR HAS NOW TAKEN THIS STORY OFF AO3. WATCH THIS SPACE FOR A NEW LINK ***
Edited by Travisina on 18 August 2014 18:59:07

Ellen York
Has anyone read "Straight Up and Bitter" at An Archive of Our Own?
http://archiveofo...rs/3016156

It is an alternate reality story in a contemporary setting. Blake is running the Liberator coffee shop (and hosting political meetings) and hires Avon to do the book-keeping. Zen and Orac are Blake's pet cats, which I think is quite clever. I don't usually go for alternate reality pieces, but this one really pulled me in. It is from Avon's point of view and the snarky tone is dead on.

Travisina
Ellen York wrote:

It is an alternate reality story in a contemporary setting. Blake is running the Liberator coffee shop (and hosting political meetings) and hires Avon to do the book-keeping. Zen and Orac are Blake's pet cats, which I think is quite clever. I don't usually go for alternate reality pieces, but this one really pulled me in. It is from Avon's point of view and the snarky tone is dead on.

Thank you for the recommendation, Ellen. I hadn't read it before, and the concept would normally put me off. But it's really rather sweet, isn't it? Of course, the author relies on the reader being familiar with the B7 characters and smiling at this present day spin on them, but I also think that if the names were to be changed and it was presented as an ordinary non-B7 story, it could work equally well for a mundane audience. Sign of good writing!

winnie-l
Ellen York wrote:
THANKS very much for the pointer, very much enjoyed that! The writing is good, the characterization is apt, real glad to have Gan (yay!) in it, & the story is both amusing & poignant.

Another 20th cent AU that I quite liked was "El Aguila de la Libertad"
http://archiveofo...rks/381592
Very well written, nicely surreal. Blake in it is harsher than I expected. Overall quite enjoyable - I thought. Hope others like it too!

Ellen York
Glad others are enjoying "Straight up and Bitter". There are also two sequel pieces; "Halloween Taste" is a short piece about Blake's Halloween party and "All Foam and Ice" is a longer work that is still in progress. I am curious enough about where the story is going to be watching AO3 for updates on "All Foam and Ice".

Travisina
winnie-l wrote:

http://archiveofo...rks/381592
Very well written, nicely surreal. Blake in it is harsher than I expected. Overall quite enjoyable - I thought. Hope others like it too!

I like it too! Smile

As you say, it's well written and nicely surreal. I liked the names, especially the GPS Caroline = Caro = reverse the letters!
Present day AU is not a genre I would normally seek out, so it's good to have these recommendations.

Joe Dredd
winnie-l wrote:

I enjoyed that one last year (perhaps you pointed it out to me Winnie?). It has a real something, doesn't it?

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
winnie-l wrote:

I love Nicola/Vilakins's stories.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.47 seconds
9,898,425 unique visits since 8th January 2014