Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Ideal Name for a Heroine
Lana Carruthers Lana Carruthers 45%[5 Votes]
Francine Parker Francine Parker 9%[1 Vote]
Emily Saunders Emily Saunders 45%[5 Votes]
Monica Saunders Monica Saunders 0%[0 Votes]
Monica Sherwood Monica Sherwood 0%[0 Votes]
Emily Swanson Emily Swanson 0%[0 Votes]
Amanda Swanson Amanda Swanson 0%[0 Votes]
Emily Sherwood Emily Sherwood 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 11
 Print Thread
Name the Character for my new Story
sweevo
I know this is utterly stupid, but I feel as if I have no choice. Let me explain:

I am currently writing a second novel (after the positive reception of "Salvatore: Arcus Iudicium" from my readers), with the working title "Legenda Arcus Alba" this time focusing on science fiction and dark fantasy with some elements of action and horror as opposed to the sci-fi action adventure/thriller story of its predecessor (kind of like switching from playing Heretic to Hexen on DOS PCs). Here is the basic synopsis:

Synopsis:
A trio of Eurasian outcasts from various ends of the legal spectrum consisting of ex-special forces hero Argus Marino, former counterterrorist-turned-Samurai Daisuke Kasai and reformed one-time prison convict Gordon Valentine are caught up in a war between Heaven and Hell during a trip to the United States.

Based on a story I wrote back in 2005 but never officially released, this is intended to be my second novel, with the possibility of a third story as a finale to my "Rainbow Trilogy". The problem is quite simple (unless you're me) - what to name the only female character in an otherwise all-male story. Choose a name from the polls, and the one with the most votes wins. The name chosen also determines the nationality of the character, each number/choice corresponding to the respective nationality.

1. American/Canadian
2. Australian/Kiwi (New Zealander)
3. Irish/English

Addendum: The character in question is intended to be a college/university Doctor with PhDs in Parapsychology and Psychology, and have a gentle temperament but become an action heroine when push comes to shove.

Happy voting. Smile

Sweevo.
Edited by sweevo on 22 June 2014 00:26:11

BradPaula
Sweevo- I voted. Good luck writing your second novel! It does sound interesting! -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

sweevo
Thank you Smile
Edited by sweevo on 18 June 2014 01:58:12

Lurena
Here's another vote Sweevo.
It was hard to choose...
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
JustBrad
And now we have a three way tie.... Drat....

Travisina
Hi Sweevo,

My sympathies - I struggle terribly to find appropriate names for people, places and planets in my own stories! And you are not alone - the Helen Mirren character in 'Prime Suspect' underwent three name changes before the writer finally settled on 'Jane Tennison'. Your dilemma is not stupid, far from it.

I haven't voted yet, because I need to know a bit more about the character apart from her potential nationality. Even her age, height and the colour of her hair could make a difference to my choice. Again, from my own experience, I had to completely change a character's name before I could 'see' him in my mind's eye. Names have great power beyond simply being an identifying device. So if you could provide even a small piece of background for your female character, as you have with your male ones, I'd be more able to decide whether I think she should be Emily, a Francine or Lana.

Best of luck!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Joe Dredd
It's an interesting dilemma, isn't it? We get named before any of our characteristics are really apparent, and yet for an author it cuts the other way. Speaking as an Aussie, for example, the name Francine (with no other 'clues') suggests to me an American character.

I salute you for asking though. To me, the BF audios and books often jar and grate in their choices of character names, many of which do not have the same 'feel' of the names we come across in the series.
Edited by Joe Dredd on 18 June 2014 08:07:38

littlesue
I've just cast a vote to.
Yes,I, too, have problems with names (just ask Lurena), but suddenly I get inspiration! The latest one came to me because of a new book we had in the shop. I quite liked the authors name; it just seemed so nice, so I've done a variant on that......and then Lurena came up with near enough the same name. I tell you, it's spooky.
Back in the 80's, I was fortunate enough to have many B7 penfriends and they kept me supplied with all sorts of names.
In the latest scribble, I've actually gone to 'Hollywood' so to speak, and a couple of the characters have variations on a theme of famous actors names.
But I agree with Travisina, sometimes a name can suddenly come to you once you get the character in your minds eye.
Good luck with writing, by the way.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

It's an interesting dilemma, isn't it? We get named before any of our characteristics are really apparent, and yet for an author it cuts the other way. Speaking as an Aussie, for example, the name Francine (with no other 'clues'Wink suggests to me an American character.

I salute you for asking though. To me, the BF audios and books often jar and grate in their choices of character names, many of which do not have the same 'feel' of the names we come across in the series.

To be fair, most of the names we come across in the series are variants of 'Terry' - all those Tels, Dels and Tarrants...

Travisina
littlesue wrote:

But I agree with Travisina, sometimes a name can suddenly come to you once you get the character in your minds eye.

It was actually the other way round - until I changed the name, I couldn't picture the person. Once I got the name, everything else fell into place - his physical appearance, his character - everything that had been missing with his earlier name.

I find place names useful when looking for inspiration. I had a temp job a few years ago, in which I had to do mailshots - sending out hundreds of letters to parents of schoolkids all over Hertfordshire. I would jot down useful names of towns and streets to use as surnames for characters. And when you come to think about it, many towns and streets are named after people, so it's a kind of full circle!

littlesue
Travisina wrote:

littlesue wrote:

It was actually the other way round - until I changed the name, I couldn't picture the person. Once I got the name, everything else fell into place - his physical appearance, his character - everything that had been missing with his earlier name.

I find place names useful when looking for inspiration. I had a temp job a few years ago, in which I had to do mailshots - sending out hundreds of letters to parents of schoolkids all over Hertfordshire. I would jot down useful names of towns and streets to use as surnames for characters. And when you come to think about it, many towns and streets are named after people, so it's a kind of full circle!

More often or not I have the idea of the person, what he or she looks like, their attitude, demeanour etc and then see if a name comes to mind, but as you say, it's not until a name comes to you that suddenly the character takes form.....It's very difficult, but tremendous fun!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Lurena
littlesue wrote:

Travisina wrote:

littlesue wrote:

More often or not I have the idea of the person, what he or she looks like, their attitude, demeanour etc and then see if a name comes to mind, but as you say, it's not until a name comes to you that suddenly the character takes form.....It's very difficult, but tremendous fun!

Perhaps for me it is a bit easier as I come from a culture where traditionally names and sounds were very connected with characteristics and in which a person even can be called different names depending on their age.
I have always been interested in names of people I met and book, or film/TV personages, in association to characters.
So when there is a synopsis, names can come very easy to me.

sweevo
It's been 2 days... and I Still can't come to a bloody decision.

Lurena
sweevo wrote:

Sweevo, may I help you?

If you like the woman to be gentle, you can put that in the sound of her name and pick the third one. Then perhaps you better name her Milly instead of Emily: Milly Saunders sounds less detached.

Or if you like the woman to be resolute, you take the first option and shortcut her surname: Lana Carruth

Space Chopper
I chose Lana Carruthers, if only because her first name is the same as teh shortened form of my wife's name, and if she's going to be an action heroine, she has the same initials as Lara Croft!
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Travisina
sweevo wrote:

Sweevo, I still haven't voted, because I need a bit more to go on than just the names and nationalities. A bit about her looks, personality and background would be helpful.
Emily is an old-fashioned, Victorian name (Emily Bronte) and to me suggests a nice, sweet person.
Lana has 'Superboy' connotations (Lana Lang) while Francine instantly made me think of the mother in 'American Dad'. Unless it's a completely invented name, or a spin on an existing one (like many of the names in the 'Game of Thrones' saga, eg Eddard, Rickard etc), a name will automatically raise associations in the mind of the reader.

Space Chopper wrote:

I chose Lana Carruthers, if only because her first name is the same as teh shortened form of my wife's name, and if she's going to be an action heroine, she has the same initials as Lara Croft!

Which kind of proves my point.

sweevo
Here's the character biography (tad overdue, but better late than never).

Approximately 5' 6" (1.68 m) in height with fair hair and spectacles, athletic build. Personality is kind and caring with a hidden action side to her - she is gifted with ESP and has PhDs in Parapsychology and Psychology. Initially joining the Eurasian antiheroes in order to gain more experience, she eventually develops feelings for Argus the de-facto leader and is caught up in the demonic war herself. She does not get on very well with Gordon the ex-con due to his pragmatic attitude and distrust of women, and she relies on Daisuke the former CT-turned-Samurai for advice. She is intended to be fluent in a language other than English, depending on her final characterisation.

Travisina
... and now I have voted!

Thank you sweevo - based on your character biog, the name 'Emily Saunders' feels right to me. No doubt others will disagree - it really comes down to personal choice in the end.

sweevo
Thanks for voting... I'll have a lie down and have a think. Smile

sweevo
OK - here's the rundown: It's now a two-way fight between "Lana Carruthers" and "Monica Saunders", which has just been added to the polls. Happy voting. Smile

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.58 seconds
9,159,662 unique visits since 8th January 2014