Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Medieval-18thC Fantasy Thread
Spaceship Dispatcher
Thread title changed for subject clarity, although Historical Drama was originally intended to cover Ancient Civilisation Fantasy as well with series such as Atlantis etc. But for me, fantasies of the days of knights in armour etc are a very different genre to Charles Dickens, Agatha Christie and other more modern fictions, so I have altered the title.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 27 January 2014 23:24:30
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
The Hollow Crown - really enjoyed this series! Its a different style to the usual approach to putting Shakespeare's plays on television as, instead of filming in a studio to give the feel of a stage play, its created as a colourful and glamorous full scale BBC period drama that uses the original text (with alterations) as the script. The actors put in performances in a style that is aware of the medium, not projecting their lines to the back of an auditorium that isn't there but also not just reading the lines from the page as in some previous screen productions. There is lots of visually creative direction and camera cuts, but it never breaks up the magnificent flow of the original dialogue. Characters are played with enthusiasm and confidence by the whole cast and come across as three dimensional, even the minor roles with few lines. In fact, that's another strength of the direction here: many scenes come across as ensemble drama, even when only one or two characters are speaking. The scenes in the Boars Head inn come alive and feel like real pub scenes! Visually the show is superb, balancing glamour and style with some dirtied down realism in the same exceptional way as other recent medieval drama series like The White Queen and The Tudors, and another series of four episodes has already been commissioned. These will cover Henry VI parts 1-3 and Richard III, and will star Benedict Cumberbatch as Richard, so I'm looking forward to that already. Certainly the first series had an all star cast with Ben Whishaw, Jeremy Irons and Tom Hiddleston in the title roles joined by Patrick Stewart, David Suchet, Rory Kinnear, David Morrissey, John Hurt, Julie Walters and many, many more. Top marks as a production of Shakespeare and as a historical drama generally - 10/10
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
Have seen the first two episodes of The Musketeers and am enjoying it very much! This show seems to be a replacement for Merlin as visually its almost identical and the writing style and characters are very similar too. D'Artagnan is a Merlin-like character with the other Musketeers for the Round Table knights, Constance and M'Lady for Gwen and Morgana, a lot of emphasis on the royal residence, humorous dialogue mixed with dark themes and actions, a similar approach to the set and costume design, plenty of movement in the direction of all scenes rather than just action sequences and lively incidental music that leads the drama as much as following it, and Santiago Cabrera playing Aramis exactly the same (so far) as he played Lancelot. Really impressed with all the performances and the overall style of the show, and enjoying all the Dr Who, Merlin and Primeval connections so far...

JustBrad
Watching The White Queen, right now. While I'm no expert on The War of the Roses, it seems fairly historically accurate. I'll even let them get away with the black magic, as Richard III had his sister in law accused of witchcraft in order to discredit the claim to the throne of the Princes in the Tower.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
[img][/img]
JustBrad wrote:

Watching The White Queen, right now. While I'm no expert on The War of the Roses, it seems fairly historically accurate. I'll even let them get away with the black magic, as Richard III had his sister in law accused of witchcraft in order to discredit the claim to the throne of the Princes in the Tower.

images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/1/8/5/7/1/2/1/jaw-dropping-16706917284.jpeg
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Wow! Relatively hot on the heels of The Tudors comes yet another drama, called Wolf Hall, based on the life of Henry VIII at the time of his divorce from Katherine and the Boleyn family's ill-fated gambit*. But get this for a quality cast:

Damian Lewis as Henry VIII
Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell
Claire Foy as Anne Boleyn
Jonathan Pryce as Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Joanne Whalley as Katherine of Aragon
Mark Gatiss as Stephen Gardiner
Anton Lesser as Thomas More
Mathieu Amalric as the Spanish Ambassador, Chapuys
Charity Wakefield as Mary Boleyn
Jessica Raine as Jane Rochford
Bernard Hill as the Duke of Norfolk
Richard Dillane as the Duke of Suffolk
Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Rafe Sadler
Natasha Little as Cromwell's wife Liz
Saskia Reeves as her sister Johane

*sorry, should have put a spoiler warning Grin

Angry Angel
The book was very critically acclaimed, so it'll be interesting to see what this is like. Still, this period of history has been mined so often, it would be nice to get a bit of variety.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
BradPaula
Thanks SD for the information on Wolf Hall. We'll be looking out for that one. -Paula and Brad
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.29 seconds
9,098,612 unique visits since 8th January 2014