Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Medieval-18thC Fantasy Thread
Spaceship Dispatcher
There were several different threads for discussing different historical dramas from the fantasy and period genres and so, although many productions actually fall between these definitions, the title of Historical Drama Thread seemed generic enough to describe a place to discuss and review them. There have been many television and film retellings of various myths, legends, real life characters and fictional characters, about ancient Rome and Greece, the lost city of Atlantis, figures like King Arthur and Robin Hood, or the Musketeers or Henry VIII. No doubt there will be many threads created in the future, but for now I thought this general thread will get us started! I'm watching The White Queen at the moment, about the final years of the Wars of the Roses in Britain, and I'll review it as soon its finished. Also we have another series based on the Musketeers, and this one starring Peter Capaldi, to look forward to. But if anyone has seen anything you want comment on, please feel free to post here.

Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 27 January 2014 23:02:43
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

BradPaula
We will be watching The White Queen later. Right now we are watching The Tudors, enjoying the drama immensely, and pointing out all the historical inaccuracies we can find. We recently watched Henry VIII with Ray Winstone and Helena Bonham Carter. Quite good.

It used to be that 'Made for TV movie' meant 'watered down.' Now it seems to mean, 'Going into more detail than you could in a 2 hour movie.' - B
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Oh yes! Loved the Tudors far more than I expected to and definately would recommend it. The historical timeline was altered to fit the television format, but also resembled the reality quite closely when I looked into the true facts afterwards. In terms of production values, it was exceptional imo. The colour and the glamour was there, but not in the brash way that a film might go over the top with it, and the medieval world was portrayed as a place the same as ours but in a different time with different values. The people that live there, in the show, are clearly recognisable and don't come across as 'pretend' people that only exist to fulfill a narrative role. And the producers didn't feel obliged to look down on those who lived in a different time by making out that the past as a dirty, unpleasant place where everything smelled or was rotten. Man has always had pride in himself and has always wanted to give a good account and display of himself, so I gave this show special credit for making it a 'medieval period drama' in style and not a mud-fest. Also of note is the brilliant cast who are all so well chosen and play their roles with such great enthusiasm and commitment. Natalie Dormer as Anne Boleyn stood out especially as its such a difficult and controversial (in the UK anyway) part to play!

Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 10 January 2014 07:11:12
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

We will be watching The White Queen later. - B

Well, I finished viewing The White Queen last night. Now to comment without any spoilers...

This is very much a prequel to The Tudors visually and in terms of narrative style, although its actually made by a different production team and is not linked behind the scenes. But the way the story is told, the way the episodes are structured, the general 'look' of the costumes and settings, the way the characters look their best without having 'movie star' glamour, the way the plots develop and fade and overlap each other... its all up there in the same league as the previous show; and of course, this period of history leads almost directly into the life of Henry VIII as this series ends with the Battle of Bosworth and the beginning of the Tudor Dynasty. One amusing aspect of the two shows being so similar is the fact that James Frain plays almost identical characters in almost identical positions in Court in the two series: Richard Neville, the infamous 'Kingmaker' in TWQ, and the equally infamous Thomas Cromwell in The Tudors, thus creating the impression that there's some sort of Blackadder Dynasty thing going on with physically identical and equally devious generations of twins throughout history. One problem with this format, covering a lengthy period of time in one show, is that often the most famous and interesting part of a central character's life will be only part of the wider story. So just as The Tudors faded as a spectacle after the main plot involving the Boleyn family, the divorce, and the split from Rome comes largely to a head at the end of series 2, so TWQ loses a lot of momentum once Elisabeth Woodville is no longer the White Queen after the death of Edward IV. But its still a show that I would recommend and would say is worth sticking with as the last episode does reward the loyal viewer quite well, even if loyal supporters of Richard III don't fare as well! One final point to mention about the style of the show, something quite different to The Tudors and not really a spoiler as it becomes a part of the format in episode one: this is a medieval history drama with similarities to Robin of Sherwood in that it makes a major plot point of mysticism, and the narrative directs the viewer to believe in the powers of certain characters; imo this is a strength and adds an extra dimension, but it should be noted by anyone who is going to watch the show that the supernatural element is prominent and gives the show the feeling of a RoS style fantasy-drama. Excellent series. Highly recommend it.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 12 January 2014 13:34:11

Spaceship Dispatcher
Looking forward to The Musketeers now! Adrian Hodges says its a serious drama, rather than a parody of the genre, but will have a fantasy setting in that it will be a larger than life version of our own world. Seems to have a good cast, and ten episodes should be long enough to develop some depth to the characters. Good decision imo to start the series after the original novel and not begin by retelling it all over again.

Chase123
Anyone ever see Last of the Mohicans from BBC, a bit long and a bit dull at times but terrific acting and action sequences. Puts the 1990 movie to shame.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
I hated Reign....Mary of Scotland's story is exciting enough without adding all the faux pagan mumbo-jumbo.

And like The Tudors, it seems that we the viewer are unable to tell the difference between women named the same which meant that Mary's famous attendants the 4 Marys were re-named with the historically accurate names of Lola, Kenna, Greer and Aylee....Angry
Edited by Vanessa Doffenshmirtz on 17 January 2014 12:48:58
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

President Solvite
Quite loving Chesterton's Father Brown at the moment.

A Catholic Priest from the 50's - at odds with the local police inspector who is not happy at this priest getting in the way with his case..

@ Vanessa..
That is the problem with many popular modern 'historical' dramas, they do tend to take liberties with major and not so major historical events. Actually it has always happened, but it is still annoying though if you have studied that particular era at school/college. Sometimes it comes across little more than a soap. IE. Great entertainment (maybe) but not particularly 'high-brow'

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
President Solvite wrote:

Quite loving Chesterton's Father Brown at the moment.

A Catholic Priest from the 50's - at odds with the local police inspector who is not happy at this priest getting in the way with his case..

I love that show as well..they keep the gentle humour of Father Brown very well and it's a very good representation of post WWII era England.

@ Vanessa..
That is the problem with many popular modern 'historical' dramas, they do tend to take liberties with major and not so major historical events. Actually it has always happened, but it is still annoying though if you have studied that particular era at school/college. Sometimes it comes across little more than a soap. IE. Great entertainment (maybe) but not particularly 'high-brow'

Oh I get that...but there are soo many people who take it as the Truf tm. I'm active on several War of the Roses and Tudor fora as well as many WWI and WWII fora as those are my preferred eras of study.

The general concensus is that The Tudors were good, TWQ..not bad, Reign...giggles and if you want to wear your flame-proof suit tell any Tudor board how accuraly The Other Boleyn Girl portrays Anne Boleyn.

That being said I have only watched a few episodes of The Tudors, watching Kathryn Howard prance around naked in the Tower was a total brain-melty moment...I managed to watch the first 5 of Reign simply to watch the train wreck...

RichardMk2
I liked The White Queen I liked the way it did not portray Richard III as the monster he's depicted in Shakespeare. In fact he tcame across as quite dashing I thought.

Klenotka
The Musketeers definitely are not too serious Grin It looks like "case of the week" story. I am curious how it will go in next episodes. I think it was a little fast and some lines were really cheesy Grin
But I liked it Smile I recognized some locations (apparently made not just in Prague but around here as well Smile)
So far, bad guys are my favourite Grin I know I am supposed to root for the good guys but come on...who has ever done that? Especially when they are played by Peter Capaldi and Mamie McCoy Smile
I liked how Peter sort of underplayed it on purpose. I expect him going a little "Malcolm Tucker" (without the swear words Grin ) in following episodes but this was perfect. Peter can do "silent, menacing" very well without saying a word Smile Also, he didnīt have that much screen time to play with it so I am looking forward to the following episodes.
It was a fun adventure. I read the book a few times, the Michael York movie is my favourite so I was prepared for a different version and I think they did it. Of course, leather, guns (not so much swording) but hell, if they had fun, why shouldnīt I? Smile

P.S. Do we have some "general" thread for other TV shows? I just recently rewatched The Thick of It and I have to admit, I understood more than I did the last time so I enjoyed it even more...so I need a place where to share it Grin

Angry Angel
I really enjoyed the first ep of Musketeers, it definitely reminded me of the Michael York version - lots of good action but also great acting.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
littlesue
Well, all I can say about The Musketeers is...phew...black leather!!
What came to mind, for me, was the show 'The Flashing Blade!'
One of the best things about Saturday Mornings Children TV!!!

My concern was that Peter could not do both Dr Who and The Musketeers...and it seems that, according to my boss who did some quick research, Peter is not in Series 2.

I actually enjoyed this first episode far more than I enjoyed Merlin and Atlantis....now to look at that black leather again.........is it getting hot in here?
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Klenotka
Oh, yes, that leather! Grin There is a lots of eye candy, thatīs for sure Smile
Peter wonīt be in Season 2 (which was not confirmed yet). It would be impossible for him to handle it - DW filming takes about 8/9 months. It seems that BBC uses him for a promotion of The Musketeers a lot so I am curious how many Whovians actually started to watch only thanks to him - and how many of them would stick around after S1. I know I will, I like it Smile

Spaceship Dispatcher
@ Brad and Paula... how are you enjoying The Tudors so far? Grin

President Solvite
Re The Musketeers...

Err.. well its okay, if you're into leather and certain male eye candy waving weapons around you'll love it.

Passes the time well enough but I tend to find my attention wandering at times.. Better than Atlantis or Merlin though (although I suppose they are fantasy series) Mind you so are other series that portray themselves as 'historical dramas'

Anyway its early days yet, so things should hopefully get better.
Edited by President Solvite on 27 January 2014 19:32:16

Spaceship Dispatcher
All creative depictions of the medieval world, for which we only have written descriptions, are fantasy and demand a greater degree of artistic licence than periods like the 19th Century for which more detailed accounts and photographs are available for reference. That was the main reason for creating different threads for discussing medieval period fiction and 19th/20th century period drama as they are very different genres imo. So called 'high fantasy' about fictional kingdoms and mystical creatures is a further sub-genre, covering shows like Merlin and Game of Thrones.

President Solvite
There is of course a difference in my view between fiction and fantasy.. And also taking major liberties with actual historical events, renaming major historical figures etc. It is true however the further back in time one looks accuracy becomes more difficult to measure and possibly more leniency may be afforded..

Some series fall within said acceptable tolerances but others not so much however entertaining they may be.

trevor travis
The Musketeers is fluffy rubbish, while Call The Midwife is just a soap set in the past. I quite liked The White Queen, though.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
I've seen a few of Call the Midwife as it tends to clash with the fighting on ice* we get a lot of at this time of year. I enjoyed the few I saw but I noticed they are on NetFlix so I'm going to induldge myself over the next few days.

* Habs Hockey..

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.52 seconds
9,867,420 unique visits since 8th January 2014