Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
B7 on BBC Breakfast
littlesue
Did anyone catch the clip from Cygnus Alpha on BBC Breakfast Friday morning at about 8.55?
It was to do with some chap in Holland who had developed a very basic Teleport system...well, he has moved information from here to there...at least I think that's what he was talking about. It was a very bad connection.
Anyway, it was the bit when Blake first teleports down and when Jenna turns to Avon and says '4 minutes'.
The chappie on the beeb settee said "Oh wow, I loved Blake's 7!".
I couldn't believe it, the Beeb showing a clip of B7 and not even saying anything sarcastic about it or putting a laughter track on it.
One wonders if any school childfren were watching asking, "What is this programme? When can we see it??"
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
littlesue wrote:

Did anyone catch the clip from Cygnus Alpha on BBC Breakfast Friday morning at about 8.55?
It was to do with some chap in Holland who had developed a very basic Teleport system...well, he has moved information from here to there...at least I think that's what he was talking about. It was a very bad connection.
Anyway, it was the bit when Blake first teleports down and when Jenna turns to Avon and says '4 minutes'.
The chappie on the beeb settee said "Oh wow, I loved Blake's 7!".
I couldn't believe it, the Beeb showing a clip of B7 and not even saying anything sarcastic about it or putting a laughter track on it.
One wonders if any school childfren were watching asking, "What is this programme? When can we see it??"

Missed it (which is hardly surprising, as I don't usually watch BBC Breakfast!) Anyway, I've just tried to track it down via BBC iPlayer and YouTube, to no avail. Maybe somebody else will have better luck?

It's very encouraging that a BBC presenter is happy to admit to having 'loved Blake's 7' and showing clips without feeling the need to add sarcastic comments. Maybe - at long last - they are beginning to recognise B7 as a classic series, worthy of respect?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

clareblues1
Lives in hope Travisina!
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

Sopron
Good grief (as Charlie Brown would say)! I suspect that, being the beeb, they would rather show a clip from one of their own than pay royalties on something from the US. Nevertheless, getting a positive comment from a presenter is a good sign. The premise of the article sounds interesting, something about the LHC, maybe? I'll have to check out the BBC website and have a look.

Lurena
Ah! The teleport news!
I've only seen the report in context with Star Trek's teleportation.
But it is not (yet) at all about teleporting beings or things. It's about transmitting information.
The BBC was not far from the truth with showing Blake's ; they just got the wrong scene. I think they had better shown, for instance, about the TP Crystal that will help to break the new pulse codes of the Federation's transmitted A-Line messages (Killer), which comes very near of what the Delft research might achieve.

The Delft University scientists trapped electrons in diamonds at extremely low temperatures and separated them by about ten feet. By storing them in such a way, researchers were able to observe their quantum properties, and determine that the electrons had become "entangled," making it impossible to differentiate their respective electron spins.
Spin rate, to a quantum particle, counts as information, and information is what computers traffic in. But unlike traditional bits of information, which can have only one of two values—1 or 0—quantum bits, or qubits, can have an infinite number.
One can build a super transmitting computer.

Here's a (surprisingly entertaining) video made by the scientists to explain their research.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Hugbot
Lurena is absolutely right: the term 'teleportation' as used in quantum physics has nothing to do with teleportation in a sci-fi context. It only refers to the instantaneous transfer of quantum properties, not of objects. Because of indeterminism, you can't even use it for the immediate transfer of useful information. Thus the physical laws that prohibit any signal speed faster than light still apply. (Funny thing, though: Einstein never believed in indeterminism, and now the effects of indeterminism come to the rescue of his theories!)
The first very crude teleportation experiments were done in Vienna around 1998, and with each new progress in this field, journalists talk about Star Trek's transporter and similar devices. But as Lurena said, the possible use for this technology is not FTL travel or FTL radio, but encryption.
Sorry, but we have to wait for another phenomenon to be discovered ... Happy
In the meantime, we can be happy that some folks begin to take B7 serious!

Travisina
It's easy to see why people get excited when they hear about experiments in 'teleportation'. Maybe quantum physicists should come up with a different word for 'instantaneous transfer of quantum properties'; one that doesn't conjure up images of ST, B7 or 'The Fly'?

President Solvite
Any concept that might save me from the rigours of the M25 is a good thing in my view. Pfft

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Travisina
President Solvite wrote:

Any concept that might save me from the rigours of the M25 is a good thing in my view. Pfft

I spent a few years on the M25, commuting to and from Shepperton Studios on a daily basis - 100 mile round trip. The evenings were usually okay, but the morning journey could take anything up to three hours. I used to take with me a book of crosswords and a carton of juice, for all long stretches of static traffic...

Frankymole
littlesue wrote:

It was to do with some chap in Holland who had developed a very basic Teleport system...well, he has moved information from here to there...at least I think that's what he was talking about.
I've had a system like that for years. It's called the postal service. Then there's this new-fangled thing called a telephone...

clareblues1
Travisina wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

I spent a few years on the M25, commuting to and from Shepperton Studios on a daily basis - 100 mile round trip. The evenings were usually okay, but the morning journey could take anything up to three hours. I used to take with me a book of crosswords and a carton of juice, for all long stretches of static traffic...

It's beginning to get that way on my daily morning commute...all caused by major road works on the A45 near Coventry...I'm thinking of taking flying lessons though as conveniently there's an airport right alongside where I work!

clareblues1
Frankymole wrote:

littlesue wrote:

It was to do with some chap in Holland who had developed a very basic Teleport system...well, he has moved information from here to there...at least I think that's what he was talking about.
I've had a system like that for years. It's called the postal service. Then there's this new-fangled thing called a telephone...

LOL Very good!

Hugbot
Travisina wrote:

It's easy to see why people get excited when they hear about experiments in 'teleportation'. Maybe quantum physicists should come up with a different word for 'instantaneous transfer of quantum properties'; one that doesn't conjure up images of ST, B7 or 'The Fly'?

On the contrary, that was a very clever choice of words! Think of a quantum physicist negotiating the budget with the Ministry of Science:

QP1: "I'm working on the instantaneous transfer of quantum properties."
Minister: "So what?"

QP2: "I'm working on teleportation!"
Minister (who travelled the M25 to his office): "Really? Great! How much do you need?"

Ellen York
Hugbot wrote:

Travisina wrote:

On the contrary, that was a very clever choice of words! Think of a quantum physicist negotiating the budget with the Ministry of Science:

QP1: "I'm working on the instantaneous transfer of quantum properties."
Minister: "So what?"

QP2: "I'm working on teleportation!"
Minister (who travelled the M25 to his office): "Really? Great! How much do you need?"

But what happens when the Ministry realizes that quantum teleportation won't solve the traffic problem on M25? I'm slightly embarrassed that I would have made the same wrong assumption. My quantum mechanics is very rusty. It was the bane of my existence in grad school and as an analytical chemist it isn't something I use at work.

Lurena
So much humorous replies in this thread!

I know those tech kids in Delft have been working on the project for years. They are looking for Quantum mechanics utensils to be able to build a secured data transmission network.
They talk about a supercomputer tool.
(I have been thinking of suggesting the nickname Tariel Cell once they can construct a computer in-build device)

If you have taken a look at the video you may have seen the flashing lights in the research set... I had to think of Orac?...
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
GoldChannel
there's a company isn't there who claim to have built the world's first quantum computer? But some people are apparently dubious about their claims.

(IIRC these are the size of garden sheds and have temeperatures inside colder than space... apparently/allegedly)

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.37 seconds
9,858,220 unique visits since 8th January 2014