Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 925
· Newest Rebel: uazdah

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Adventures with the Wife and Blake
Frankymole
BradPaula wrote:

I was amused at Sue's comment that it was all Tarrant's fault. Then, she wonders, as do we all, where is Servalan. She should have waltzed into the tracking gallery smiling her evil smile and then had the scene fade to black.... -Paula
I'm so glad they didn't do anything so predictable at the last. I am sure Darrow (and Gareth Thomas's) wonderful agonised acting was improved for not having that final layer of melodrama.

Space Chopper
Wonderful video of her reactions, and it is still a truly compelling piece of TV. Although I watched it myself only a week or so ago, that scene STILL gets me- I was as tense as Sue was, and a little part of me wants it to end differently each time. Sue's last comment rang with me...

Sue: I think he’s still alive. You didn’t see any blood when the others got shot, like you did with Blake, who’s definitely dead. And if they are dead, why were so many shots fired at the end? Maybe the others got their guns back and they fought their way out… Or maybe Orac teleported Avon out at the last second and the guards shot themselves by mistake? No? It could have happened.

That's exactly why I started the 'life after Blake' thread in Duel- seeing blood on Blake, but not on the others.

Damn- what a brilliant, compelling, chilling, epic piece of TV- no-one dares make anything remotely like that these days... Thanks Neil and Sue- hope one or other of you pops in here to say 'hi'!
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

trevor travis
It had to be a 10 didn't it?

Sue's 10s:
Rumours Of Death
Death-Watch
Terminal
Orbit
Blake

Even 30 years later, many of the same episodes still come out on top!!

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:

I was amused at Sue's comment that it was all Tarrant's fault. Then, she wonders, as do we all, where is Servalan. She should have waltzed into the tracking gallery smiling her evil smile and then had the scene fade to black.... -Paula

No, it works better without Servalan. It then becomes a Servlan plan, instead of a tragic misunderstanding between Avon and Blake.

JustBrad
BradPaula wrote:

How it SHOULD have ended.

Avon stands over Blake's corpse.
He looks up to the sound of high heels clicking across the floor.
Servalan enters.
She smiles triumphantly.
Avon smiles ironically.
Jump Cuts, Freeze Frame, and Fade to Black.
The sound of gunfire.
A scream cut short.
More gunfire.
Theme and closing credits.

sutekh101
Frankymole wrote:

Do you think it is fitting that Servalan doesn't show up at the end?

sutekh101 wrote:
As for the finale itself, I thought it was a wonderfully bleak and very tense 50 minutes of TV and i haven't seen anything quite like it since other than the GOT wedding eppy.
Wasn't it also Dynasty that ended (or at least ended a season) with a wedding massacre? Or Falcon Crest. One of those soaps anyway. Sort of thing they do. Though one of them ended with everyone being abducted by a UFO, if I recall correctly.

I didn't see any of those soaps you mentioned but do wish that I caught the one with a UFO at the end. I shall have to track that down on youtube.

The final Wife & Blake blog update was just perfect Smile wonderful that the finale can still pack an emotional punch all these years on - brilliant comments from readers of the blog too. It has been one of those rare and lovely outposts of the internet with warm and intelligent discussions. It will be greatly missed.

Frankymole
sutekh101 wrote:
I didn't see any of those soaps you mentioned but do wish that I caught the one with a UFO at the end. I shall have to track that down on youtube.
The Colbys, apparently, was the one with the UFO ending.

rojkerr1
SErvalan waltzes in smiling confidently, then her smile fades as Avon points the gun into her face...fade to black, gunshots as before -read Peter Anghelides' novelisation of Blake, the last line is 'he needed to kill her himself....' interesting!

Frankymole
rojkerr1 wrote:

SErvalan waltzes in smiling confidently, then her smile fades as Avon points the gun into her face...fade to black, gunshots as before -read Peter Anghelides' novelisation of Blake, the last line is 'he needed to kill her himself....' interesting!
Sounds like the closing line of "Traitor"!

trevor travis
Dynasty ended with Alexis Colby (Joan Collins) falling off her balcony.

Dallas ended JR shooting himself, after falling foul of a vengeful Angel, in a reverse of It's A Wonderful Life.

Neither ended by massacring the entire cast.

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:How it SHOULD have ended.

Servalan enters.
She smiles triumphantly.
Avon smiles ironically.
The sound of gunfire.
A scream cut short.
More gunfire.

Nope, I prefer it as transmitted. Can't improve on perfection.

Little Man
trevor travis wrote:

JustBrad wrote:How it SHOULD have ended.

Servalan enters.
She smiles triumphantly.
Avon smiles ironically.
The sound of gunfire.
A scream cut short.
More gunfire.

Nope, I prefer it as transmitted. Can't improve on perfection.

Agreed. A classically Shakespearean moment of tragedy centred on killing a friend on the basis of a misapprehension. Obviously I wanted a "happy ending" at the time I saw it, but the actual finale just works. Too much TV leads us to take the happy ending for granted: real life (and B7) doesn't follow suit.

Frankymole
trevor travis wrote:

Dynasty ended with Alexis Colby (Joan Collins) falling off her balcony.

Dallas ended JR shooting himself, after falling foul of a vengeful Angel, in a reverse of It's A Wonderful Life.

Neither ended by massacring the entire cast.
The Dynasty (or whichever it was) wedding massacre didn't happen at the end of the show, but I think it ended a season. Useful for when contracts need renewing Smile I'm not sure why Game of Thrones's "Red Wedding" is treated with such awe, as if it's a new idea for TV.

Also Emmerdale had the infamous "plane crashing on the entire village" episode.

I prefer Hancocks Archers spoof "The Bowmans" where the entire cast fall down a mine shaft.

President Solvite
(Quote)

How it SHOULD have ended.

Servalan enters.
She smiles triumphantly.
Avon smiles ironically.
The sound of gunfire.
A scream cut short.
More gunfire.
Theme and closing credits.[/quote]

It does leave things tidier I agree.
Without changing the basic concept

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Joe Dredd
Frankymole wrote:
I prefer Hancocks Archers spoof "The Bowmans" where the entire cast fall down a mine shaft.

I think you've hit on it there, Frankymole. That explains why the script doesn't have Servalan turn up at the end - the last page was missing.

wall1885
it was wonderful watching Sue's reaction as she watched the finale of 'Blake' - like us all, we were all waiting for Servalan to stroll in at the end (& disappointed she didnt) and all of us were gobsmacked the first time we watched as the climax unfolded- Thanks Sue,watching you has reminded me exactly how I felt when I saw this for the first time-

peladon
Frankymole wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

I'm so glad they didn't do anything so predictable at the last. I am sure Darrow (and Gareth Thomas's) wonderful agonised acting was improved for not having that final layer of melodrama.

Didnt need it , there was enough melodrama there in the script without Servalan.Smile

Frankymole
wall1885 wrote:

it was wonderful watching Sue's reaction as she watched the finale of 'Blake' - like us all, we were all waiting for Servalan to stroll in at the end (& disappointed she didnt)
At the time, I was relived she didn't. Now, even more so.
Joe Dredd wrote:

Frankymole wrote:

I think you've hit on it there, Frankymole. That explains why the script doesn't have Servalan turn up at the end - the last page was missing.
Grin Lady President Don't Fall Backwards.

winnie-l
Does anyone have info on when the S4 overview will be posted?
IIRC the blog said "in September" and, well, it's half over....

NP posted a link to a very nice graphic someone did of the episodes & scores:
http://www.wonder...e_2000.jpg

meegat39
winnie-l wrote:

Does anyone have info on when the S4 overview will be posted?
IIRC the blog said "in September" and, well, it's half over....

NP posted a link to a very nice graphic someone did of the episodes & scores:
http://www.wonder...e_2000.jpg

Looking at the scores Chris Boucher wrote 3 episodes that scored 10
Terry Nation wrote 2
Robert Holmes wrote 1
this of course, could be partly because Sue's affection for Blake's 7 increased as she continued watching. For all we know on subsequent rewatches she could rate The Way Back and Spacefall higher, for example. Or completely change all her scores!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.43 seconds
9,881,177 unique visits since 8th January 2014