Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Liberator Chronicles 8 *Spoilers Thread*
Travisina
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Travisina wrote:

The scene in 'Caged' where Blake and the President come face to face echoes this.

Blake meets the President?! **Caged spoilers** too!! Grin Will look forward to hearing that scene....

Not really a spoiler, since it's announced in the blurb on the Big Finish website!

By the way Travisina, congrats on passing 1000 posts Grin
Oops

Cool! I hadn't even noticed! I wonder which was my 1000th? Probably slagging off Moloch somewhere. Wink
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
Sea of Iron

Listened to this audio last night and enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting too from the negative reviews. The concept of the titular Sea of Iron was one that engaged my attention straight away, a sort of 'space Bermuda triangle' crossed with the deep and inaccessible trenches of the Pacific where lost ships slowly rust away so far out of reach that they might as well be in outer space. I'm in agreement with the Horizon review that Marc Platt has over compensated with the armies of identical clones in their thousands and choruses of voices in Cally's head both being incongruous Doctor Who concepts; but that was a note of caution I recall expressing when BFP first started the LCs, that creatively the writers and producers might end up falling back on the less plausable Doctor Who fantasy concepts they know best. Likewise I agree with Paula's comment earlier on this thread that the plot doesn't hold the listeners' attention as well as it might; imo the writer has started with Cally, cloning and telepathy as the premise and struggled to tell a story around them rather than having a story and slipping these elements into it. The audio is also an example of how spin-off media can form a sub-canon that runs alongside the original rather than weaving into it, as Cally becoming closely aquainted with both Travis and Servalan in this story and Promises would have changed the confidence and experience of the character so much that it would impacted upon the on-screen crew dynamic in a way that simply isn't supported by the broadcast canon. But in the episode's favour I did find it very easy and enjoyable to listen to, with a wonderful poetic narrative style that flows gently from the speakers with Jan Chappell's excellent delivery and some good observations of her fellow crew members' personalities expressed by Cally in the scenes on the Liberator; the various scenes between Cally and Servalan are a real highlight too, and I give credit where its due to Marc Platt for setting these around meals and polite conversation instead of the style often adopted by Big Finish of having these conversations shouted over action scenes. There's a nice space fantasy atmosphere here that creates a sense of wonder and scale without having to imitate the Star Wars genre. One final point of interest I have noted down is that Cally refers to Zen as a computer rather than a character, calling the device "it" rather than he or him on at least a couple of occasions.

An enjoyable, middle of the road 7/10 for this one.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 08 July 2014 12:11:26
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
SD, having listened to ďSea Of IronĒ again, I do find it very incongruous. Itís just not set up in B7 universe. Well not the BBC / Big Finish one anyway.

I welcome audios that examine Callyís background (Promises, for example, was excellent), but this just jars. For example, the revelation that are thousands of Callyís. No they arenít. In the series (Children Of Auron), we meet one of Callyís siblings, and she is called Zelda. Cally calls her Zelda, and Zelda refers to Cally as Cally. Cally is not the family name; it refers just to our Cally.

In the B7 mediaís separate reimagined series, the family name is Cally. But this is not part of that, itís supposed to be part of the Liberator Chronicles. Itís lazy writing from Marc Platt to take an idea he had for the reimagined series, and resubmit it for the Libby Chronicles, without taking care to change the continuity. It wouldnít have taken much effort.

Of course, continuity isnít the main thing Ė thatís the story. Unfortunately thatís not strong either. Itís a bit dull, to be honest. Marc Platt also submitted the weakest entry of the full cast series; I donít think he really understands B7 and should stick to Doctor Who. B7 has its own special essence. Itís always the risk when using DW writers for B7. Hopefully as they go along, Big Finish will twig which DW writers can adapt to write for B7 and which canít. Marc Platt canít.

Perhaps Iím being unduly harsh and the middling ďSea Of IronĒ is maybe unfortunate to come out on a release that also contains two truly outstanding offerings in ďPresidentĒ and ďSpoilsĒ.
Edited by trevor travis on 08 July 2014 12:32:17

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

In the B7 mediaís separate reimagined series, the family name is Cally. But this is not part of that, itís supposed to be part of the Liberator Chronicles. Itís lazy writing from Marc Platt to take an idea he had for the reimagined series, and resubmit it for the Libby Chronicles, without taking care of change the continuity. It wouldnít have taken much effort.

That's interesting to know. I never spent my money on the B7 Media reimagining to find out their ideas! Oops
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
trevor travis wrote:
Of course, continuity isnít the main thing Ė thatís the story. Unfortunately thatís not strong either. Itís a bit dull, to be honest. Marc Platt also submitted the weakest entry of the full cast series; I donít think he really understands B7 and should stick to Doctor Who. B7 has its own special essence. Itís always the risk when using DW writers for B7. Hopefully as they go along, Big Finish will twig which DW writers can adapt to write for B7 and which canít. Marc Platt canít.

Has anyone else had a chance to listen to "Sea Of Iron"? If so, what do you make of Marc Platt's writing for B7?

BradPaula
LC#8 President: Quite a good little story with Servalan and Rontane. We get a look behind the scenes if you will of how Servalan masterminded the downfall of the President of the Terran Federation. Makes me think we have just scratched the surface with the character of Servalan. I score this 7/10.

The Sea of Iron: Is anyone else a bit tired of the Auron way? Cally seems such a sensitive and complicated character but I grow a bit tired of all the drama. That said, Jan gave a wonderful performance and I did like the story. I give this 6/10.

Spoils: Now this story is a great one to mull over. What indeed would happen if Blake won his fight and became the President of the Federation? I was shocked, amazed, and then thought to myself, yes, this scenario just may possibly play out as true. I loved this one and it gave me pause to think of the motives of Blake and what indeed would happen he and the Rebellion did actually win. And I love to listen to Gareth- what a talent! I give this one 10/10.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Gauda Cheese
Ordered this today.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Gauda Cheese
My copy arrived and I'm looking forward to President

Gauda Cheese
I have heard all the stories and I think President was the pick of the bunch. This along with Three have made great use of Servalan and I could easily imagine Pearce being delighted with them.

I couldn't really buy into Spoils, because as fanatical as Blake could be in season B, I just couldn't imagine doing the things he does in this one. I praise the story for its sheer ambition, but the whole thing just felt out of character.

To think I agree with Spaceship Dispatcher! I agree there were so many good ideas in this story, but none of it felt explored.

Sea of Iron.... was a story...... that I listened to.

timdalton007
Having been interested in this set for awhile now, I've finally gotten ahold of it. Perhaps naughtily, I went straight for the story that had interested me in the set from day one: James Goss' Spoils. I wasn't disappointed...

The premise of it sounded fascinating. Partly a ďwhat if?Ē story in the vein of the Doctor Who Unbound range, Spoils neatly explores the question of what would happen if Blake had ever managed to beat the Federation. Not how to do it but what came afterwords. The results were surprising though tragically logical. Someone else made mention to Orwell's Animal Farm in another post and I have to admit that its source material (the Russian Revolution and the history of the Soviet Union under Stalin) came my mind as I listened to it during my driving around on Friday. Each step seemed inevitable in retrospect and all too plausible listening to Blake go from idealist to tyrant in the proverbial blink of an eye. Plus a neat inversion of episode 52's ending within the story as well which was both unexpected and oddly pleasing.

Besides Goss' writing, what really sold it was the performances. It has taken me awhile to get used to an older sounding Gareth Thomas as Blake but I think that world weariness suits him in this story given both where it falls within the TV series and with the events of the story. Major kudos to Jemma Churchill and Dan Starkey (whom I didn't recognize until I read the credits list) who both filed in a large number of roles excellently, especially those we know so well from the TV series. Add on some superb sound design and the result may well be my favorite Liberator Chronicle tale.

I'm listening to another Big Finish release at the moment I've been eagerly awaiting (the new Unbound Universe Benny box-set) but I'll be coming back to the other two tales and giving this one another listen I'm sure.

timdalton007

BradPaula
@timdalton007: I think Spoils is one of the best written and acted audios of the entire series of Blake's 7 discs. The 'what if' scenario is a fascinating one and I think both Jemma Churchill and Dan Starkey did wonderfully portraying the other characters.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.58 seconds
9,095,616 unique visits since 8th January 2014