Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Liberator Chronicles 8 *Spoilers Thread*
trevor travis
**** WARNING: Please note this thread contains spoilers****
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 05 January 2015 16:53:16

trevor travis
With the six-part full cast audio mini-series somewhat lumbering towards its conclusion, I'm glad we still have the tightly-written, superb character pieces that are the Libby Chronicles.

Volume 8 contains two great audios; one OK one.

I'm at sucker for stories where Servalan is at her most devious, and "President" fits that bill, as she set up Rontane for a fall. Nice continuity with series, with Rontane a lucky survivor of Blake's raid in "Trial". We learn that Bercol did make his maker at that point, though.

We then enter a slightly surreal but effective tale, as the President elects Servie as a kind of campaign manager, as he tries to convince the good people of the Federation that he's not such a bad egg, after all. Of course, Servie just uses the whole thing t come out of it smelling of roses.

Rontane ends the tale marching to his death, but with his dignity in tact. Great performances from Jackie and Peter Miles.

trevor travis
I've only listened to each of them once, but initial thoughts are that "Sea Of Iron" by Marc Platt is the weakest on this release.

It's mostly a monologue from Cally, Servie only comes in halfway through (I prefer realeases with dialogue almost the way through, such as "Three" and "President" )

There's a lot of weird stuff about Cally and her clones, which would be more in keeping with the Reimagined Series, rather than the Libby Chronicles, with Cally' unborn sisters saving the day by telepathically freaking out Servie.

I guess it might warm on future listens.

trevor travis
"Spoils" by James Goss is certainly ambitious - it has more characters than many of full-cast audios. It manages this by using Dan Starkey (Yup, Strax himself) and Jemma Churchill to each do several voices.

So Avon is on this volume of the Libby Chronicles even though Paul Darrow isn't, and explains why Avon's mug is on the cover (something I pondered about).

Blake is on a downer after the death of Gan (as if he hadn't done enough self-pity in "Trial" ). So he goes to the Dream Makers who can tell him the future.

He wants to know how to win, instead they should him what happens AFTER he wins.

Predictably Blake is a crap President. Ambassador Cally ends up beheaded, Vila is accidentally killed after Blake ends up having the cells he wanted to avoid, and he is eventually brought into confrontation with Avon and the Liberator, with Avon siding with the renegade Servalan, against the evil President Blake.

It's great fun and I got sucked in to the extent I didn't mind the different voices. It's a "dream" anyway, so there's a reason people might sound a bit different.

Maybe the ending is a tad predictable, that Servie gave Blake the dream to put the willies up him. For this final segment, which isn't the dream, it would have been nice to have used Jackie. Although maybe the fact it isn't Jackie means we're still dreaming???

Lots to ponder and think about here, while the way Blake messes things up is almost comical! I will enjoy listening to this one a few times.
Edited by trevor travis on 24 May 2014 22:17:45

BradPaula
I got my copy of LC#8 today but have not listened to it yet. I was a bit bemused by the cover, amazing thought it is, because they feature Avon where the audios do not. Oh, well.

I am also glad to have Dan Starkey doing a character in these audios as well. I really enjoyed him in the previous audios and am proud to have actually met him last year- nice guy and very funny.

My one little concern was having the LC's come at the same time as the Full Cast Audios. I am grateful for all the assorted stories, but to tell the truth, it's a bit expensive to be buying the entire range for this year. Perhaps instead of the Full Cast Audios coming one a month for six months, they could inter-space them between the LC's? Just a thought. But I'm very glad for Big Finish and the high standards they hold for their audios. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

trevor travis
Paula, this is the spoiler thread, so don't read my posts yet or I'll tell you off Grin Grin

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:

My one little concern was having the LC's come at the same time as the Full Cast Audios. I am grateful for all the assorted stories, but to tell the truth, it's a bit expensive to be buying the entire range for this year. Perhaps instead of the Full Cast Audios coming one a month for six months, they could inter-space them between the LC's? Just a thought. But I'm very glad for Big Finish and the high standards they hold for their audios. -Paula

As long as BF keep four volumes of the Libby Chronicles per year - they are far superior to the full-cast audios which seem to focus on action rather than character and therefore have lost the essence of B7 a little IMO (Drones being the worst culprit).

On the other hand, the Libby Chronicles remain as superb.
Edited by trevor travis on 19 May 2014 20:20:05

BradPaula
trevor travis wrote:

Paula, this is the spoiler thread, so don't read my posts yet or I'll tell you off Grin Grin

OK, I promise not to read any more posts in this thread until I have listened to LC#8. I PM'd you with that promise already and told you that when LC#9 arrives, that I will tear the protective plastic off the audios with my teeth, I'll be in such a hurry to listen!

Just to comfort you, I've typed this post blindfolded so as not to upset you. So chierz and al te byst! -Paula

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:when LC#9 arrives, that I will tear the protective plastic off the audios with my teeth, I'll be in such a hurry to listen!

Just to comfort you, I've typed this post blindfolded so as not to upset you. So chierz and al te byst! -Paula

Grin Grin

Travisina
Horizon review is now up here: http://www.blakes...icle_id=46

Took me longer to write than usual - partly because of RL interventions and time-consuming Horizon Admin duties (waves at Paula), but also because the outstanding 'Spoils' rendered me speechless, which is something of a disadvantage when you want to write a review!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

trevor travis
[url=http://www.blakes7online.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=433&pid=13905#post_13905]Travisina wrote:but also because the outstanding 'Spoils' rendered me speechless, which is something of a disadvantage when you want to write a review!

James Goss has done it again, hasn't he? Great story.

Seeing as this is the spoiler thread, I'm curious about the ending. It's still the "Dream" Servalan isn't it? Does that mean Blake still hasn't woken up?

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

Seeing as this is the spoiler thread, I'm curious about the ending. It's still the "Dream" Servalan isn't it? Does that mean Blake still hasn't woken up?

It's the Dream Servalan inasmuch as it's still Jemma Churchill doing the voice, but I wonder if it was meant to be real? I don't think that ties into canon, though - the idea is that Blake would now be so full of self doubt that he would give up the fight. So perhaps the whole thing was Servalan's dream and Blake's was a dream-within-a-dream. It's staggeringly good - I relistened yesterday before writing the review, and it blew me away - again!

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

It's the Dream Servalan inasmuch as it's still Jemma Churchill doing the voice, but I wonder if it was meant to be real? I don't think that ties into canon, though - the idea is that Blake would now be so full of self doubt that he would give up the fight. So perhaps the whole thing was Servalan's dream and Blake's was a dream-within-a-dream. It's staggeringly good - I relistened yesterday before writing the review, and it blew me away - again!

I need to listen to it a second time.... planning to do that very soon!

Spaceresearcher
So I can write freely without having to put boring spoiler warnings etc, why not post here I thought. Smile

Firstly WOW, I know the expression is getting cliched but WOW.

This set was an absolute thrill and gave me a surprise as it contained a story I've wondered about for a long time and even contemplated writing. That story was 'President'.

In President, we get something that I'm sure many Blakes 7 fans are going to love. In the televised episodes we see many sections which focus solely on the intricacies of the Federation. They give us a canvas from which to paint the complex character Servalan on.
President is one of this Blakes 7 fans dreams come true. An entire story that's not even about Blake and the rebellion, it's about Servalan or more to the point a day in the life of high ranking Federation officials and a greater insite into the mind of Servalan and the politics at the top. This story was superb and has really enhanced these audio productions for me in terms of enhancing the official canon. Jacqueline was simply awesome and sounded like she was having fun as well as playing the part to perfection. Can't recommend this welcome new addition to the Blakes 7 universe highly enough. Well done Big Finish, all audio sound effects and dialogue were perfect and the story was great(special thanks to Simon Guerrier). This is a story I'm actually going to listen to again and again. Brilliant. 10 out of 10 ORACS!!!!Unsure

The Sea Of Iron, got better as the story progressed and I'm always interested to know more about Cally so it was a welcome addition. Overall though, I felt Servalan's dialogue wasn't written nearly as well as in Simon's writing(after hearing 'President' though it's probably being a bit harsh as it was a pretty tough bar to meet).
7 out of 10 ORACS!!! Unsure

'Spoils' was a brave bit of writing. Personally it doesn't really fit the character I would paint as Blake running the Federation. However I did enjoy the concept that perhaps if Blake won the war, would he loose the battle? This is a 'whatif' story more than anything and good on Big Finish for being bold enough to attempt such an addition. A great idea and I enjoyed entertaining the concept. So to conclude on this one, it's not canon(unless you imagine Blake having a nightmare) but it's essential listening for the Blakes 7 fan, which ultimately is Big Finish's highest priority with these productions.
8 out of 10 ORACS!!!Unsure

BradPaula
Now that I've listened to all three of the Liberator Chronicles #8, I can comment on them and not have Trevor Travis tell me off for sneaking onto this thread before having experienced all three audios for myself.

What can I say but LC#8 is decidedly more dark than many of the other LC sets. That's not to say the stories weren't good, just quite complicated, introspective and bizarre at times, but still worthy of our attentions.

President by Simon Guerrier had Jacqueline Pearce and Peter Miles (Servalan and Rontane) reprise their roles for this audio. I found it very interesting to hear how Servalan wormed her way to the top, being a sort of press agent/campaign manager for the Persident himself. She discusses her ideas and strategies with Secretary Rontane and the audio certainly lives up to all that Servalan is and was. Peter Miles was especially good coming back as Secretary Rontane.

The Sea of Iron by Marc Platt has Jan Chappell and Jacqueline Pearce in this two-hander as Cally and Servalan. I think of the three, this is the weakest audio. We again get a glimpse into Cally's character and some back story. Is it me, or is Cally always searching for some mentor from her past? Anyway, it was a good story, but did not hold my interest as much as story #1 or 3.

Story three is Spoils by James Goss. This is the best of the three audios in my opinion. It is performed by Gareth Thomas as Blake with two very talented actors by the names of Jemma Churchill and Dan Starkey. Starkey is recently known for his portrayal of the Sontaran Strax in Doctor Who, and in a few of the Full Cast audios this year from Big Finish. I thought this story was inspired and quite thought-provoking. It revolves around the idea of what would happen if Blake finally won out and how his Presidency would play out after one, two and many years down the road.

Special mention should be made of the two actors in the audio, Jemma Churchill and Dan Starkey, who as Blake 'dreams' of the future, they are the voices of Jenna, Cally, Servalan, and Avon, and Vila. At first I thought Sally Knyvette was in the audio, but upon checking the disc jacket, found the characters were being played by these two very talented actors. Dan Starkey had Avon's cadence down pat and even had that unique quality in Vila's voice done well, so well that I just went along with the story thinking it was being voiced by our actors and not actors relatively new to Big Finish's Blake's 7 range.

I have to admit that upon finishing Spoils, it really gave me pause. How Blake ran his presidency was fascinating, and at the same time alarming. One ill-advised order here, and that starts the slippery slope to eventual ruin. I could not get it out of my head. It was real food for thought and brilliantly written and acted. There is one scene in the 'dream' which stayed with me and that was where Starkey, as Avon, is gunned down by Blake, in a reversal of the end of episode #52. Pretty strong stuff and certainly worthy of another listen.

Now, to look forward in August to LC#9 and the ultimate gift for a fan like me, the return -again- of Del Grant. *sigh*. -Paula

Travisina
BradPaula wrote:

I have to admit that upon finishing Spoils, it really gave me pause. How Blake ran his presidency was fascinating, and at the same time alarming. One ill-advised order here, and that starts the slippery slope to eventual ruin. I could not get it out of my head. It was real food for thought and brilliantly written and acted. There is one scene in the 'dream' which stayed with me and that was where Starkey, as Avon, is gunned down by Blake, in a reversal of the end of episode #52. Pretty strong stuff and certainly worthy of another listen.

I've listened to it twice so far, and still can't stop thinking about it. There are several moments that stick in my mind, apart from the reversal of ep52 (which is very strong): after Blake's conversation with Vila, the prison officer asks "Shall I deal with him?" and there's this pause, before Blake says "Yes, deal with him." Later we find out that Vila is dead, and Blake tries to explain "I didn't mean him to die, only to be taught a lesson." And yet it was that telling pause that implies that Blake knew what he was asking the officer to do. And throughout, the step by step way in which Blake adopts the Federation's tactics - blockading and starving planets, 'reprogramming' citizens, the use of torture, putting people on trial on trumped up charges, increasing the dosage of Pylene 50... And yet throughout, Blake is trying to do the right thing - he isn't Macbeth, he has no personal ambition to be President - it's just that faced with the reality of actually running an Empire, he utterly fails. It's a very dark, disturbing - and horribly plausible story. One of the best yet!

trevor travis
Yes, all Blake's former crew meet their maker in nasty ways.... and Vila's disappearance is very sinister indeed. Jenna's self-sacrifice is another shocking moment, as is Blake receiving the head of Cally.

Very dark, and with the odd touch of black humour.

If Servalan has put the whole story together (although it is odd that it is still the "Dream" Servalan at the end, suggesting all is not as it appears), I bet she had great fun in doing so!

trevor travis
Travisina wrote: And yet throughout, Blake is trying to do the right thing - he isn't Macbeth, he has no personal ambition to be President - it's just that faced with the reality of actually running an Empire, he utterly fails. It's a very dark, disturbing - and horribly plausible story. One of the best yet!

I agree it's "horribly plausible".

it turns out Blake will be as bad as a President, as he is as a rebel leader Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
Looking forward to Spoils, it sounds like the sort of counter balance story that I have been hoping for. Something that tackles the biased 'evil empire' view of the Federation we had from the tv series, but highlights the actual difficulties that a space empire presents. The Federation is a government like any other, past or present: flawed, and full of good and bad people that does some things right and some things wrong. Some things end in triumph, others in tragedy. In the tv series, we concentrate on a duel between two groups of antagonists and miss 99% of the wider picture. It sounds from the comments here that Spoils swaps those antagonists around and knocks down the utopian ideals. Looking forward to it.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Listened to "Spoils" and "President" for respective third times last night.... two very good stories.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.40 seconds
9,124,184 unique visits since 8th January 2014