Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
1.3 Drones *Spoilers Thread*
trevor travis
**** WARNING: Please note this thread contains spoillers****
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 16 January 2015 04:51:56

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm buying this next month, so thought it would be great to read the comments already up to get an idea what to expect. No need to worry about finding spoilers, not that I'm ever concerned about that anyway, on this thread. Was it not very good?! Not one comment either good, bad or indifferent!
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Marc Platt and B7. Doesn't mix!!! From what I recall, a load of noises and not much plot, and easily the weakest of the first audio series.

Joe Dredd
"Drones" wasn't very good, I agree, but surely the weakest of the first full cast audio series has to go to "Battleground". The very one dimensional Federation officer, who you knew from practically his first line was bound to get his come-uppance, was frustrating in the extreme. Not an enjoyable listen at all.

trevor travis
Joe Dredd wrote:

"Drones" wasn't very good, I agree, but surely the weakest of the first full cast audio series has to go to "Battleground". The very one dimensional Federation officer, who you knew from practically his first line was bound to get his come-uppance, was frustrating in the extreme. Not an enjoyable listen at all.

I liked "Battleground". Yes I guess it was obvious that the Federation officer was heading for a fall, but he was a character very much in keeping with several others from the series.

"Battleground" had good dialogue, whereas "Drones" is largely an hour of special effects.

Joe Dredd
trevor travis wrote:
he was a character very much in keeping with several others from the series.

In a sense, but he felt like a very bad carbon copy of what had gone before. Section Leader Klegg for example was more distinctly an individual that this guy, who didn't rise above the basic of "Federation = totally nasty".

Spaceship Dispatcher
Personally, I really enjoyed Dan Starkey's comedy militarism because he was basically playing Strax but not a Sontaran; but as most of the lines were very much the same as those in his Dr Who role, and he often used the same voice, you would not have known the difference! However, it does help in that regard that the Paternoster Gang are one of my favourite elements of new-Who...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

trevor travis
Joe Dredd wrote:

In a sense, but he felt like a very bad carbon copy of what had gone before. Section Leader Klegg for example was more distinctly an individual that this guy, who didn't rise above the basic of "Federation = totally nasty".

But isn't that to counter the other characters in "Battleground", who are Federation and decent people. A similar mix to Raiker, Leylan and Artix.

Lentila
I was hugely entertained by this whole series of full cast adventures, and Drones was no exception. The first third following on from the cliff-hanger at the end of Battleground is very exciting. The rest of the story perhaps less so, but perfectly enjoyable. The original characters are not particularly interesting (imo) but I liked what the writer did with Zen/Liberator and Orac.

meegat39
I also enjoyed the whole of the last full cast audio arc. Drones and Battleground being no exception.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Joe Dredd
trevor travis wrote:

But isn't that to counter the other characters in "Battleground", who are Federation and decent people. A similar mix to Raiker, Leylan and Artix.

I don't doubt it, but the character was too one-note for me. It could have been handled much better.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Listened to this one yesterday, and I'm inclined to agree with those who don't think this feels like a Blake's 7 episode; it's what I call 'all plot and no story', because for me a story is about the characters in it rather than merely a sequence of events. I struggled to decide what this was actually about on any deeper level, beyond he or she went here or there and did this or that. The fantasy concepts on display were each too massive to explored in an hour, never mind all of them in one story; the Liberator being able to operate underwater, Orac being able to take control of the ship from its human occupants, and the nanobots too. I'm not comfortable with the whole Orac sub-plot, as it works okay within the story but not imo the wider B7 canon; the computer seizing control of the ship is something that would change the crew/Orac dynamic too far. The guest characters were a bit cardboard as well. Overall, just a 6/10 from me for this one.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.36 seconds
9,921,189 unique visits since 8th January 2014