Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 1
littlesue

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Rewatch - Avengers/Buck Rogers
trevor travis
The original Blake's 7 (in order of appearance):
Blake
Vila
Jenna
Avon
Gan
Zen
Cally

If these aren't regulars, then who is???? AngryGrin

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Travis appearances were not regular though, just often. Soolin was regular as her appearances were consecutive. Regular to me means 'all the time' not just sometimes. I would call Travis and Servalan 'recurring' characters.

And Zen? How is he not a regular? He's one of the seven!!! Wink

My view on that is already posted above:

By regulars I mean a character played in every episode by an actor, excluding voice only roles because the actor in that instance played several parts in every series so it can't be said that his part in the show was written out.

...Zen/Liberator were not really characters regular or otherwise but special effects creations - Peter Tuddenham, who was the regular actor associated with Zen, did stay on the show and played Slave. (likewise, I never count K-9 as a companion)

The 'death' of Zen is sad and emotional, but from an RL view (which is the angle from which I dislike Blake) no actors are let down by a lack of effort by the part of the writer. None of the cast get any decent conversation scenes or speeches at the end of Blake; no chance to express their characters views about each other or the cause or the rebellion, no emotional scenes like we had between Wilma and Buck on this rewatch or like the Bad Wolf Bay scene with Rose and the Doctor. Just a bit of cheap and cheerful violence. That's the sad part about Blake for me personally.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

The original Blake's 7 (in order of appearance):
Blake
Vila
Jenna
Avon
Gan
Zen
Cally

If these aren't regulars, then who is???? AngryGrin

From an RL viewpoint, Zen can't be counted because he wasn't played by a 'regular actor' which is my grievance with the last episode (see above) but by a voice artist who played several different roles. Zen itself was just a prop.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
The only regulars in Blake's 7 imo were:

Gareth Thomas
Paul Darrow
Michael Keating
Sally Knyvette
Jan Chappell
David Jackson
Josette Simon
Steven Pacey
Glynis Barber

Actors playing recurring characters included:

Jacqueline Pearce
Stephen Greif
Brian Croucher
Peter Miles

trevor travis
Zen a prop? No way. He was a character. If he was just a prop, then why were many child viewers reduced to tears when he was killed off in "Terminal"?

SD, you have backed yourself into a hole here.

The programme is called Blake's 7. So go on, tell us, who are the seven characters who make up Blake's 7? Characters, not actors, please, since the programme is about those characters, not about those actors who played them.

Name Blake's 7.
Edited by trevor travis on 15 May 2014 10:50:29

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Zen a prop? No way. He was a character. If he was just a prop, then why were many child viewers reduced to tears when he was killed off in "Terminal"?

In RL it is a prop.

The discussion was originally about why I hate the last episode. That reason is an RL reason not a canon one, therefore that's the context of the discussion. The fiction of the last episode might work, and you like the episode for that, and in the fiction Zen is a character and one of the seven. I'm not disputing that, but I don't count Peter as Zen as one of the regulars when I say "Blake was the only season finale that removed regulars" since Peter carried on as Orac and Slave after Terminal and so was in the show still. In fact, Peter is the only long term cast member who has a 'character' that is not killed in Blake as Orac survives. But its no use asking me to talk only in terms of the fiction and not use actor names, since my objections are RL based with Blake as a script that actors had to read. They were all short changed by not having proper departure speeches. The story might be okay, but that's simply not where my objections lay. Likewise the breakup of Avon and Vila's friendship from Orbit onwards: within the fiction it makes sense, but from an RL view of the production as actors exchanging lines with each other I think it was detrimental to take that element away.

edit: to qualify a point - I don't enjoy Blake because I think its a rubbish episode, but I have strong negative feelings about it because of the RL issues described above. I don't like much of Derek and none of D13 Blake. No amount of diversion into the relative meanings of the words 'regular' and 'recurring' will change that.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 15 May 2014 12:02:40

trevor travis
SD, but in RL nobody died. Grin

Well, I hope that didn't shoot any of the actors anyway. Maybe that's why Josette is never about for events. AngryAngryGrin

In RL none of the characters are real; that applies to Avon as much as it does to Zen. Zen is as real as Avon.

"Terminal" does leave a deep emotional impact, in particular the death of Zen. I think both episodes left me equally devastated.

You're entitled to your opinion of "Blake".

But to say it killed off regulars and other episodes didn't just doesn't wash. You've made an incorrect statement and now you're trying to back it up through technicalities, instead of just admitting you got it wrong and forgot about Zen in "Terminal". Zen was a regular character in B7; he's even one of the eponymous seven.

Justice for Zen... a fully-fledged member of the Libby crew FrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrown
Edited by trevor travis on 15 May 2014 12:20:02

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

But to say it killed off regulars and other episodes didn't just doesn't wash. You've made an incorrect statement and now you're trying to back it up through technicalities, instead of just admitting you got it wrong and forgot about Zen in "Terminal". Zen was a regular character in B7; he's even one of the eponymous seven.

Half right - I had forgotten about Zen, but that's partly because I never count it anyway Grin

Its a discussion that could go on forever and ever, and I think the relative merits of certain episodes, elements and characters is something we'll never agree on. You're a 'proper B7 fan' - you have an emotional attachment with the plots and characters and what happens in the stories means something to you, especially as you have childhood memories of watching the show first time around. My interest in the series is probably 90% 'real world' - as an example of tv history and for its RL connections with Dr Who. When I watch B7 I see actors and sets and Matt Irvine throwing plastic spaceships past the camera on a piece of string, and that's how I enjoy watching it. But the 'fiction' of B7 has never gripped me, either the characters or the rebellion - in fact, I'm more drawn to the Federation in some stories! So we're always going to be coming at certain things head-on from opposite directions...

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Justice for Zen... a fully-fledged member of the Libby crew FrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrown

Well spotted! I'm not sure Zen would have approved of being represented by Happy smilies! Grin

trevor travis
Half right - I had forgotten about Zen, but that's partly because I never count it anyway Grin

Whatttttttttttttttttttttttttttt?????????????????? AngryAngryAngryGrinGrinGrin

SD, you make a good point, though. We do watch the series through different eyes. I do have an emotional attachment with Zen; he (not it) was regular character I saw die.
Edited by trevor travis on 15 May 2014 12:40:48

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

Well spotted! I'm not sure Zen would have approved of being represented by Happy smilies! Grin

Yup, the small size of the Zen smilie distracted me for a moment - it should be the biggest smilie of the lot FrownFrown

Although Zen and Slave were good-mates, they used to play chess by post.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Haha! Lol GrinGrin

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

Haha! Lol GrinGrin

It's a stolen reference from Red Dwarf, where the ship's computer Holly (Norman Lovett) and his pal Gordon are playing a chess game by electronic post, which is going quite slowly. Gordon (a very minor part) was played by Jack from Survivors. Grin

Me and Paula will succeed at getting you into Red Dwarf one day Wink

BradPaula
trevor travis wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Haha! Lol GrinGrin

It's a stolen reference from Red Dwarf, where the ship's computer Holly (Norman Lovett) and his pal Gordon are playing a chess game by electronic post, which is going quite slowly. Gordon (a very minor part) was played by Jack from Survivors. Grin

And maybe, one day, I can get Trevor Travis to use proper english (me and Paula)- and throw in a remedial typing class to boot! Just kidding, TT. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Haha! Lol GrinGrin

And maybe, one day, I can get Trevor Travis to use proper english (me and Paula)- and throw in a remedial typing class to boot! Just kidding, TT. -Paula

At least I know how to spell colour Grin Grin

(Just kidding Paula Wink )

BradPaula
trevor travis wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Haha! Lol GrinGrin

Ah, the British extra 'u' in words. Charming. Grin That's ok, TT- I still love you! -Paula

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Haha! Lol GrinGrin

Ah, the British extra 'u' in words. Charming. Grin That's ok, TT- I still love you! -Paula

We haven't put an extra "u" in any word. You lot have taken them out Grin Grin

BradPaula
trevor travis wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Haha! Lol GrinGrin

We haven't put an extra "u" in any word. You lot have taken them out Grin Grin

The extra 'u's in the words were getting too heavy so we tipped them over the side of the ship on our way to America. -Paula

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
9,808,756 unique visits since 8th January 2014