Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
BRITSCIFI
AnnaGrant
As I have posted previously, my Brit Scifi experience on Saturday was all positive-I had a great time and seem to have sidestepped any problem areas.
I just went up to Mr D for an autograph when there was no queue-don't know if I was supposed to have got a ticket from the Information desk, but Paul and Maureen seemed fine with it.
I didn't want to do the photoshoot, and I got my ticket for the q&a nice and early.
Sunday sounds more chaotic, but I wasn't there. I can understand people get disappointed when guests drop out, but it is always a bit risky going to a convention just to meet one particular guest. If Mr D hadn't been there I would have been disappointed, but it wouldn't have ruined my day-so much to do there.
The curious q&a performance probably comes down to cast and fans receiving different information about use of cameras. Fans were told by the host 'no flash photography' and not 'no photos', but my friend heard one of the staff telling someone in the queue that no photos were allowed. Jan must have been told something else. I hope the organisers will evaluate the event and address the problem areas. Sounds like Sunday was busier, so problems get bigger, with autograph queuing and ticketing.
I really like another poster's idea for people to register their interest in specific talks, photo shoots etc when booking tickets, to get an idea for the numbers and possibly to provisionally allocate tickets for events within the convention.
But like I said, my experience was great and it was so lovely to meet up with other fan friends.

Lurena
Well thank you all for your reports! You have given some insight in what can happen at such conventions.
It certainly always helps members, who live abroad, not to feel excluded.

All over I think you all had a good time and reason enough to be very proud of our fandom!

Still, I hope to join and meet you in the flesh one day...
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
dalekoracle
Hi All, Many thanks for your comments, both positive and negative.

Its good that so many people had a fantastic weekend - it was the largest BritScifi so far. Feedback has been fantastic generally, but it is impossible to please everyone all of the time, and all comments expressed are read and taken on board.

As a B7 fan and member here, and as the person responsible for pulling together both the content of the event and securing guest participants, its a shame to read that individual issues seem to have marred a total days enjoyment, especially with so much going on at the venue. But my views on posts/comments from a couple of people here…

It was a huge body blow that CC failed to appear at the event, especially as I had been asked to re-send over timings etc only the night before his appearance! On the day, I and his fellow actors were unable to get hold of him, and the guys wanted to hold off starting their signing session until he had arrived. There were announcements made of a delay.

Unless you’ve run an event yourselves, spent months talking to actors and worked so hard to bring so many elements together, you’ll have no idea just how crushing it is for there to be a no-show, not just on a personal level, but because you know that there will be a lot of disappointed people attending, who will share that disappointment.

…and whilst people were disappointed, refunds were not issued as response to complaints, but following a decision taken behind the scenes early on, when we realised that he wasn’t going to arrive afterall. (Better in our minds to say “He’s not attending, and here is a refund against the original "4 actors in your photo"ticket” rather than “He’s not coming” and wait for a complaint and then issue a refund to make it a "3 actor in your photo" ticket)

Away now from RD and over to B7, and looking at the autographs system, and in particular, ALL of the cast
members were all aware of the system that was in place for this event and were happy with the arrangements. Signing positions were also agreed ahead of the event, but on arriving at the area, last minute requests delayed the signing by a short time.

The slight delay at the start of the photo shoot was to accommodate one guest's special request, and therefore out of the photographer’s hands. It certainly had nothing to do with a "difficult" photographer. I can also confirm that Paul Darrow was neither unwell or fed up. Sometimes, "nature calls"!

The comment in the Q&A was unexpected, but I can assure you that the cast member concerned is fine. Its absolutely correct that there is a “No Flash Photography” rule in the planetarium (the domed screen does cause blinding flares that can be uncomfortable to the eye) and there had been an additional request made for no flash photographs just as the actors came on stage – They had not heard the announcement as they were in another room waiting to come on. And as we were communicating that to the MC to make the announcement again, the comment was made. A little unfortunate and I hope this did not spoil overall enjoyment.

Its disheartening to read that to some, the guests appeared upset or unhappy, and I am happy to confirm that all guests were very happy on the day – indeed, as my email inbox bears testament, all guests attending have universally praised the event, hospitality, the staff on the day, and all have asked that if a similar event was to be arranged, they would most definitely attend again.

This year, (and as Andy has mentioned earlier in the thread) I brought together the largest public gathering of B7 actors that’s been seen for many a year, assembled the largest collection of B7 props and costumes possible, had visual effects personnel attending who worked on the show!

On top of all that, in the broader SciFi universe, the largest grouping of Tomorrow People actors assembled at an event in over 20 years, Dr Who cast members and crew, Thunderbirds actors, celebrated "new" Anderson Legacy productions with Jamie and Anderson Entertainment, held writing workshops, a masterclass in Visual Effects from one of the UK's top FX creators, celebrated new audio Scifi with Minister of Chance, and a lot more including FAB1 and the interactive Cyber Experience.

The traders room was incredibly busy, with new merchandise on sale at discounted rates and a mind boggling array of vintage merchandise...

...all of his within one of the best visitor centres in the UK, and at no extra charge on top of the regular entry price. (you pay to get into the centre, the event is included free in your ticket price!)

As mentioned above, its interesting how the enjoyment of an event depends on one or two aspects – and thankfully, overall, the event has been a success. Queuing systems and Ticketing will be looked at for future evens too! Thanks for all the constructive comments.

If people could share their pictures from the day, please do so! It would be great to see your happy-snaps from the day.

Huge thanks for all the feedback and for the support in the build up to the event and from so many of you after it too! All very appreciated. And so wonderful to meet so many of you on person, especially Jackie (Travisina) and Supereme Commander Diane.

Mark
x
Edited by dalekoracle on 04 March 2014 12:31:14

littlesue
RB wrote:

littlesue wrote:

RB wrote:

littlesue wrote:

Still haven't heard from the photographer about these photos. I want to purchase a download, but I don't know which one to go for.
Any ideas, anyone!!

Hi, you don't pay as you paid for the photo shoot, you have to email the photographer with the photo code number and he emails you an original photo...got all mine this morning in my inbox...

Does that mean I can have all of them? It's not exactly very clear on his website!

Don't know, I just said the one with Paul pointing the gun at him was better than the one he picked....so got both emailed to me....

(I had to ask on the Facebook Space Centre page as it's the same photographer as the Chris Hadfield event, and for that one you just logged onto the website and there was a download button, so you just clicked and downloaded it..

Well I've just asked for all four and haven't heard anything back. I also emailed them yesterday...and haven't had a reply as of yet.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

littlesue
AnnaGrant wrote:

As I have posted previously, my Brit Scifi experience on Saturday was all positive-I had a great time and seem to have sidestepped any problem areas.
I just went up to Mr D for an autograph when there was no queue-don't know if I was supposed to have got a ticket from the Information desk, but Paul and Maureen seemed fine with it.
I didn't want to do the photoshoot, and I got my ticket for the q&a nice and early.
Sunday sounds more chaotic, but I wasn't there. I can understand people get disappointed when guests drop out, but it is always a bit risky going to a convention just to meet one particular guest. If Mr D hadn't been there I would have been disappointed, but it wouldn't have ruined my day-so much to do there.
The curious q&a performance probably comes down to cast and fans receiving different information about use of cameras. Fans were told by the host 'no flash photography' and not 'no photos', but my friend heard one of the staff telling someone in the queue that no photos were allowed. Jan must have been told something else. I hope the organisers will evaluate the event and address the problem areas. Sounds like Sunday was busier, so problems get bigger, with autograph queuing and ticketing.
I really like another poster's idea for people to register their interest in specific talks, photo shoots etc when booking tickets, to get an idea for the numbers and possibly to provisionally allocate tickets for events within the convention.
But like I said, my experience was great and it was so lovely to meet up with other fan friends.

Yes, I did the same as you with Mr D. I saw him there at the table getting ready; noticed other people chatting to him so just joined the queue.
He said Hi and smiled, and I handed him a crisp tenner adding that it was a contribution for his pension fund! All contributions gratefully received!!
We had a chat, had a photo taken and then someone else came along.
Same with the adorable Mr Stephen G.
Handed over a crisp tenner, had a chat. I showed him my autograph book and he signed it, no problem.
Moments later, found myself standing next to Mr Thomas. He was standing in front of the table looking at the back wall with the piccies on. I told him he should be careful as someone had already usurped his place behind the table. 'Oh, all right, Behind the table then. Thank you.'
By this time the red shirted brigade had shown up and I handed another crisp tenner to them for Mr Brian's autograph. They gave me a receipt and then had to explain to Mr B. exactly how the system worked!!! Even I had no idea as Mr Brian asked if I understood how the autograph signing was done!!
Anyway, I had a chat with everyone, (did I mention that Mr Stephen G was adorable?).
Everything seemed to go smoothly on Saturday as far as I could see, although Mat's talk was changed from the time listed on the Website...even he was unaware of it, until they came alond and said, oi, you're on! I am? said he!!!
The impression I got on Sunday was that a lot more people turned up. It didn't worry me as I was there to see Mr Shane Rimmer and listen to Mat's talk. (we discussed the timing and made sure we both had it correct this time!,and also to take daughter no. 2's pictures for her.
I'm waiting for her to come over so that I can download the pictures and then will get them on the forum.

RB
dalekoracle wrote:

Its good that so many people had a fantastic weekend - it was the largest BritScifi so far. Feedback has been fantastic generally, but it is impossible to please everyone all of the time, and all comments expressed are read and taken on board.

As a B7 fan and member here, and as the person responsible for pulling together both the content of the event and securing guest participants, its a shame to read that individual issues seem to have marred a total days enjoyment, especially with so much going on at the venue. But my views on posts/comments from a couple of people here…

...all of his within one of the best visitor centres in the UK, and at no extra charge on top of the regular entry price. (you pay to get into the centre, the event is included free in your ticket price!)

As mentioned above, its interesting how the enjoyment of an event depends on one or two aspects – and thankfully, overall, the event has been a success. Queuing systems and Ticketing will be looked at for future evens too! Thanks for all the constructive comments.

If people could share their pictures from the day, please do so! It would be great to see your happy-snaps from the day.

Huge thanks for all the feedback and for the support in the build up to the event and from so many of you after it too! All very appreciated. And so wonderful to meet so many of you on person, especially Jackie (Travisina) and Supereme Commander Diane.

Mark
x

Saturday went well, (apart from the queue for the extra tickets) but Sunday was a nightmare, with having Sciatica standing about for 45 mins once I had already waited 20 mins to get my pre booked ticket was a bit of a stressful time, as not knowing if you are going to get a photo shoot ticket or not (there really should have been a bulk ticket like there was for the Chris Hadfield event, where you paid in advance and knew that you were getting in, a photo shoot, signing and Q+A, which was a stress free excellent day).
And people handing out the 'free talk' tickets at random to the crowd and not at the table after a 45 min wait.
Also nobody knew what was going on as to times etc....let me explain.

Sunday was typical Space Centre 'headless chicken' type organisation.
They put a barrier up in front of me for the signing queue after 30 mins of waiting, as 'sorry no more, there in a Q+A, come back at 2:30....so saw the K9 talk (why they still had the wonky cutting out microphone from the day before I don't know) and so went back at 2:15 (thinking I was early for the Paul/John and Lalla signing) then after 45 mins later we were told that Paul was not showing up as he had a photo shoot at 3.....I know I had booked, so another wasted wait and the que for the photo shoot was now nearly out the door, by now my sciatica was playing up and had shooting pains running up and down my back and really needed to sit down.

So asked a member of staff who had told us at the last minute Paul was not there, and the reply was 'oh, sorry' and walked off.
Soooo of to the main desk to ask if they had the actual timing as needed really to sit down for a while and not left standing in a non moving queue.

They were very good, sorted out for me to sit at the side of the photo shoot until it was my turn, so got my photo....then they said to go to the signing queue and all sorted out.

so after the photo shoot, went to the signing que, to be told again by a member of staff as I got there, sorry, no more for Paul/Lalla/John as they want to go home, and been told to close the line....

So as I wandered off again, the lady I saw earlier smiled and said 'all ok now? did you get the signatures? "
No, by the time I walked round they had closed and told me no more people allowed...

But I told you to go round there....she said.
I know, but he said no more, and can't let me in....

She said 'but you have been in the queue twice, come with me, and took me to the front of the que to let me in....( VIP style)....
Paul said 'Hello again....'
And had a few words with John, who said he may be at one of the small space shows again....'keep your paws crossed' he said...

So a bit of a mess but turned out fine in the end..

Missed most of the talks I wanted to see as stuck in queues all day.

I have been to quite a few and know that organisation is a pain, but a few constructive suggestions on what was discussed in the queues....

Online tickets for the main photo shoots......with Q+A ticket and signatures (maybe)
As I think most of the people in the extras line were the ones with pre booked tickets.

And loads of people including myself were saying that it would have been great if there was a signing on the way out of the Q+A sessions?
As you get a ticket to get into the Q+A and then when you leave (the signers are all there on stage) so they could easily be moved to the exit (pre done tables with photos etc, and just signatures not photos) so as you leave if you want a signature you stay behind for a few mins, the rest exit, then as you leave get your signatures. (this would then reduce the queue by at least half for the rest of the day.

The times on the photo shoot tickets were great on the B7 one, as everybody got into time order before it started. but not on the red dwarf tickets? (and when did they find out Craig was not showing up? was it actually after 10am as the first time we knew was after queuing for over a hour......

Now for a super idea........Photo shoot tickets have numbers (1,2,3 etc) and are early in the day...say 11 ish.....then the Q+A for the said photo shoot later (after all the photos have been printed out....can you see where this is going yet?).....then you go to the Q+A and on the way out (see earlier suggestion) you get your photo shoot photo signed by everybody in it........If all printed in order and you had a number on your ticket it would be quite easy to do.

Then it could be an all in ticket, so instead of messing about the B7 special could have been (£35 photo and £60 signatures), so a one off special £95...
Red Dwarf one £50 etc......

AnnaGrant
dalekoracle wrote:

It was a huge body blow that CC failed to appear at the event, especially as I had been asked to re-send over timings etc only the night before his appearance! On the day, I and his fellow actors were unable to get hold of him, and the guys wanted to hold off starting their signing session until he had arrived. There were announcements made of a delay.

Unless you’ve run an event yourselves, spent months talking to actors and worked so hard to bring so many elements together, you’ll have no idea just how crushing it is for there to be a no-show, not just on a personal level, but because you know that there will be a lot of disappointed people attending, who will share that disappointment.

…and whilst people were disappointed, refunds were not issued as response to complaints, but following a decision taken behind the scenes early on, when we realised that he wasn’t going to arrive afterall. (Better in our minds to say “He’s not attending, and here is a refund against the original "4 actors in your photo"ticket” rather than “He’s not coming” and wait for a complaint and then issue a refund to make it a "3 actor in your photo" ticket)

Away now from RD and over to B7, and looking at the autographs system, and in particular, ALL of the cast
members were all aware of the system that was in place for this event and were happy with the arrangements. Signing positions were also agreed ahead of the event, but on arriving at the area, last minute requests delayed the signing by a short time.

The slight delay at the start of the photo shoot was to accommodate one guest's special request, and therefore out of the photographer’s hands. It certainly had nothing to do with a "difficult" photographer. I can also confirm that Paul Darrow was neither unwell or fed up. Sometimes, "nature calls"!

The comment in the Q&A was unexpected, but I can assure you that the cast member concerned is fine. Its absolutely correct that there is a “No Flash Photography” rule in the planetarium (the domed screen does cause blinding flares that can be uncomfortable to the eye) and there had been an additional request made for no flash photographs just as the actors came on stage – They had not heard the announcement as they were in another room waiting to come on. And as we were communicating that to the MC to make the announcement again, the comment was made. A little unfortunate and I hope this did not spoil overall enjoyment.

Its disheartening to read that to some, the guests appeared upset or unhappy, and I am happy to confirm that all guests were very happy on the day – indeed, as my email inbox bears testament, all guests attending have universally praised the event, hospitality, the staff on the day, and all have asked that if a similar event was to be arranged, they would most definitely attend again.

This year, (and as Andy has mentioned earlier in the thread) I brought together the largest public gathering of B7 actors that’s been seen for many a year, assembled the largest collection of B7 props and costumes possible, had visual effects personnel attending who worked on the show!

On top of all that, in the broader SciFi universe, the largest grouping of Tomorrow People actors assembled at an event in over 20 years, Dr Who cast members and crew, Thunderbirds actors, celebrated "new" Anderson Legacy productions with Jamie and Anderson Entertainment, held writing workshops, a masterclass in Visual Effects from one of the UK's top FX creators, celebrated new audio Scifi with Minister of Chance, and a lot more including FAB1 and the interactive Cyber Experience.

The traders room was incredibly busy, with new merchandise on sale at discounted rates and a mind boggling array of vintage merchandise...

Mark
x

Thanks for feeding back on members' comments Mark.

And thank you for organising the event. I've been part of events like this and however much you prepare in advance things pop up on the day that you don't expect, or things go differently to how you intended them to.

Next year I am seriously thinking of coming in costume, as I had so much fun with the cosplayers.

I maybe met you at the entrance-I came with Dan Dare (Martin), Hal and mini Captain Jack from Sheffield.

See you there next year-did you say the guests want to return next year-Mr D and all the B7 actors?

dalekoracle
You did indeed meet me, AnnaGrant! That was me with my clipboard - and Martin's Dan Dare / Eagle costume was superb!

And yes, in the last 24 hours, all of our guests have expressed an interest - not just Mr D and the B7 crew, but Dwarfers (well the three who were there!) TP's, Whovians, Minister folk, the wonderful Ben Miller (His convention debut and blown away by it all)...

RB, thanks for the suggestion for all in one tickets. Its certainly something to bring to the table when we come to look at next years outing. (Interestingly, the Science of the Timelords event back in November had larger numbers on the day, with the same systems in place, and ran incredibly smoothly)

All noted.

Mark
x

purplecleric
@dalekoracle/mark - please do not take any minor complaint I made as undermining the event as a whole - I have been a faithful attendee of every BritSciFi event and have enjoyed every one- it has been wonderful watching the B7 profile grow each year - I had a blast on Sat and look forward to attending next year...

dalekoracle
purplecleric wrote:

@dalekoracle/mark - please do not take any minor complaint I made as undermining the event as a whole - I have been a faithful attendee of every BritSciFi event and have enjoyed every one- it has been wonderful watching the B7 profile grow each year - I had a blast on Sat and look forward to attending next year...

Thank you Purplecleric. Thats really appreciated Smile

Next Year.... it'll be a full six months before I start thinking about BritScifi 5 in any detail. Niggly organisational issues aside, how does one top the event just gone?

Any chance someone could post photos? With all the rushing around, I only managed to take a few... BUT... courtesy All Sections Alpha, heres a couple you might not have seen - the photos were taken at the very end of the day...

Looks to me like Moonbase Alpha (Space 1999) has a couple of new Command Centre operatives...

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/dalekoracle/ScreenShot2014-03-04at145313_zps30c73ab8.png

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/dalekoracle/Jan1999_zps5b671f83.jpg

Sopron
@dalekoracle/Mark; good to hear that the overall response was so good and that the learning curve progresses. I don't think anyone would swap places with the organisers of such events without serious thoughts as to their sanity!

Maybe next year I'll be braver...

littlesue
RB wrote:

littlesue wrote:

Still haven't heard from the photographer about these photos. I want to purchase a download, but I don't know which one to go for.
Any ideas, anyone!!

Hi, you don't pay as you paid for the photo shoot, you have to email the photographer with the photo code number and he emails you an original photo...got all mine this morning in my inbox...

I have emailed the photographer RB, as you suggested...as of 17.45 this evening nothing has turned up in my inbox.

poj
dalekoracle wrote:
And yes, in the last 24 hours, all of our guests have expressed an interest - not just Mr D and the B7 crew, but Dwarfers (well the three who were there!) TP's, Whovians, Minister folk, the wonderful Ben Miller (His convention debut and blown away by it all)...

All the B7 cast I asked said they would come again, which is lovely. I saw RD last year when it was just the 3 of them and they were great without CC. I wanted to come to Sunday this year but the hubby said no and in a way I'm glad we didn't as I'm not good with chaos! If there had been more Primeval people there I may have pushed harder. Also are Torchwood actors a possibility? I don't know if they do conventions. And what about the 2nd generation of B7 actors?

I emailed the photo people in the end and got my photo just before I went to bed last night. I only asked for one image though so maybe I missed a trick!

Just need to work out how to upload pics to the site now Smile

RB
littlesue wrote:

RB wrote:

littlesue wrote:

Any ideas, anyone!!

I have emailed the photographer RB, as you suggested...as of 17.45 this evening nothing has turned up in my inbox.

Mine were in the trash folder this morning.....
Shock

Spaceship Dispatcher
poj wrote:

And what about the 2nd generation of B7 actors?

Anthony Howell has been to at least one Big Finish Day - number 3 if I recall correctly.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

littlesue
RB wrote:

littlesue wrote:

RB wrote:

littlesue wrote:

Any ideas, anyone!!

Mine were in the trash folder this morning.....
Shock

no, nothing in there.
I'll check again tomorrow

BradPaula
Reading all your comments and complaints about the day, I am reminded of a few conventions we've attended in the last few years and it seems to come down to a few things. If it is a fan-run thing, often the con organizers bite off more than they can chew and end up with a huge mess on their hands. Two conventions I've attended in the last year fall into this category. Even after paying the premium ticket for consideration at autograph and photograph lines, the system failed miserably. They did not expect the amount of people attending and it degenerated from there. Recommendations to con organizers? Have a hotel which will accommodate all the fans. Don't have your photo sessions lines snake through the restaurant. Don't have your autograph sessions in the main lobby and then change rules mid-way through the convention letting the 'daily' ticket holders go before the reserved and gold tickets, which were much more money to purchase. And one of my biggest buggaboos- don't try and make your money back by inviting too many guests and then scalping us by charging upwards of 100 dollars for a photo with the entire cast of this or all the Doctors for that.... we've seen a disturbing trend lately in conventions and we decided not to buy into it. So we refrained from having our photo with 4 Doctors at 75.00 dollars per photo just to protest in our own little way. Hopefully the BrtiSciFi organizers will take your complaints to heart and endeavor to do a better job at organization and implementing one set of rules for everyone. It seems they have a good thing going, and that it only needs to be 'tweaked' a bit to have it running well. So good luck to them and hopefully they will listen and learn. (A sometimes disgusted convention attendee) -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

dalekoracle
BradPaula wrote:

Reading all your comments and complaints about the day, I am reminded of a few conventions we've attended in the last few years and it seems to come down to a few things. If it is a fan-run thing, often the con organizers bite off more than they can chew and end up with a huge mess on their hands. Two conventions I've attended in the last year fall into this category. Even after paying the premium ticket for consideration at autograph and photograph lines, the system failed miserably. They did not expect the amount of people attending and it degenerated from there. Recommendations to con organizers? Have a hotel which will accommodate all the fans. Don't have your photo sessions lines snake through the restaurant. Don't have your autograph sessions in the main lobby and then change rules mid-way through the convention letting the 'daily' ticket holders go before the reserved and gold tickets, which were much more money to purchase. And one of my biggest buggaboos- don't try and make your money back by inviting too many guests and then scalping us by charging upwards of 100 dollars for a photo with the entire cast of this or all the Doctors for that.... we've seen a disturbing trend lately in conventions and we decided not to buy into it. So we refrained from having our photo with 4 Doctors at 75.00 dollars per photo just to protest in our own little way. Hopefully the BrtiSciFi organizers will take your complaints to heart and endeavor to do a better job at organization and implementing one set of rules for everyone. It seems they have a good thing going, and that it only needs to be 'tweaked' a bit to have it running well. So good luck to them and hopefully they will listen and learn. (A sometimes disgusted convention attendee) -Paula

Great comments for general hotel based fan events.
BritScifi is a free event hosted at the NSC, where you pay entry to the venue (Its the same price all year around). Indeed, if, like many, you want to come back and explore the centre on a non event day, you can simply upgrade your days entry ticket to an annual pass for no additional cost and come back time and time again for free throughout the year!
Whilst the organisers are fans, we are also professional event producers - check me out on Linkedin. I've run conferences and events all around the world.
Yes, issues with queues on the day, but Science of the Timelords was a bigger event with no problems. This event had issues with a major guest not turning up, and unavoidable dealys in the first hour, and that impacted, creating problems for some.
We don't subscribe (and never will) to overpriced photo shoots, multi layered access for those with deeper wallets, nor over priced tickets for entry into what is, essentially, a large traders hall.
As you'll have seen from earlier replies BradPaula, I take on board all the comments and suggestions.
BritScifi will never be a commercial, profit driven event like the MCM's or ComicCons of this world. Maybe check out the National Space Centre and learn what its about, and how BritScifi fits into the overall scheme of things.
Reading your reply, it sounds to me like you've attended some rip off conventions. Maybe re-read some of the earlier replies above and see that BritScifi wears its heart very much on its sleeve - as do the organisers Smile
(thats me by the way)
Mark
x

Travisina
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

poj wrote:

And what about the 2nd generation of B7 actors?

Anthony Howell has been to at least one Big Finish Day - number 3 if I recall correctly.

Number 4, actually - the most recent one in Slough. He and Julian Wadham were there promoting The Avengers, but I chatted to him about B7 - and to Julian Wadham about Minister of Chance!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

BradPaula
Thanks for the reply, Mark. I think you are running an admirable convention, and one I'd love to have attended. I just wanted other fans to know that things like they complained about can and do happen sometimes and that with a bit more forward thinking and preparedness, a con can run more smoothly. I really do not trust pro-run cons and try to avoid them like the plague, and I applaud BritSciFi con and how it's run. But- just take all the complaints and comments to heart and work on making your con even better for next year. I know, things are bound to happen sometimes, and there were plenty of people who had no problems what so ever, but for those who did have troubles, that is what you need to focus on for the future. I do hope to be able to attend some day, and all the best of luck! I know I can speak for many Blake's 7 and sci-fi fans here- your cast line-ups were and are impressive and there were many here who were quite envious of the people able to attend the panels and photo ops. All the best- And just to be clear on things, I am speaking as a member and not a Moderator. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
9,114,691 unique visits since 8th January 2014