Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Liberator Chronicles 8 and Cold Fury Out Now!
Travisina
Big Finish have today released the latest boxset in their series of Liberator Chronicles and Cold Fury, the latest episode in their all-cast classic audio series.
Full details are here: http://www.blakes...eadmore=50 and on the Big Finish website http://www.bigfin...adventures.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

meegat39
The trailer Big Finish have put out is the same one as for Battleground! Either they are rehashing the same story, or someone has made a mistake! *got to the trailer by clicking on the link from the announcement of the dual releases...

I've just checked and the same thing happens from the other link to it too... a little sloppy, because I won't be buying it, until I have a trailer to listen to!!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Gauda Cheese
meegat39 wrote:

The trailer Big Finish have put out is the same one as for Battleground! Either they are rehashing the same story, or someone has made a mistake! *got to the trailer by clicking on the link from the announcement of the dual releases...

I've just checked and the same thing happens from the other link to it too... a little sloppy, because I won't be buying it, until I have a trailer to listen to!!

You aren't into the full cast mini arc?
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

MockingbirdGirl
meegat39 wrote:

The trailer Big Finish have put out is the same one as for Battleground! Either they are rehashing the same story, or someone has made a mistake!

They put a single trailer up for the whole series on all six release pages at the outset. Only a few have been updated on the site, but an individual trailer for each episode is at the end of the previous story.

meegat39
MockingbirdGirl wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

The trailer Big Finish have put out is the same one as for Battleground! Either they are rehashing the same story, or someone has made a mistake!

They put a single trailer up for the whole series on all six release pages at the outset. Only a few have been updated on the site, but an individual trailer for each episode is at the end of the previous story.

I'm sorry but that's not true. I've just listened to the majority of them to see if, as I suspected, I was listening to the trailer for Battleground and I was right. Some of the other trailers I listened to were different from each other. And if it says it's a link to the trailer for a particular episode then it should be for that episode, anything else is verging on deceitful and or misleading in my opinion.

meegat39
Gauda Cheese wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

You aren't into the full cast mini arc?

Yes I have been buying them. They are mostly very good imo, but I am worried they might get a bit samey after a while, if you know what I mean, especially when they don't even put out the correct trailers ... Also I can't really afford The Liberator Chronicles, keep waiting for the price to reduce but it never seems to; I gave up buying them after Libby volume 5.

MockingbirdGirl
I'm sorry but that's not true. I've just listened to the majority of them to see if, as I suspected, I was listening to the trailer for Battleground and I was right.

No, you're mistaken. As I already said, there was a single "Classic Audio Adventures" trailer for the entire series that was put on all six release pages. Only "Drones" and "Mirror" have the updated trailers for those specific episodes. The "Battleground" trailer -- which starts with Blake screaming "Liberator, I need teleport now!" -- appears at the end of "Fractures" but is not posted on the BF page.

And really, you're not going to buy them because you don't like it when the web page isn't updated? Um, okay.

meegat39
MockingbirdGirl wrote:

I'm sorry but that's not true. I've just listened to the majority of them to see if, as I suspected, I was listening to the trailer for Battleground and I was right.

No, you're mistaken. As I already said, there was a single "Classic Audio Adventures" trailer for the entire series that was put on all six release pages. Only "Drones" and "Mirror" have the updated trailers for those specific episodes. The "Battleground" trailer -- which starts with Blake screaming "Liberator, I need teleport now!" -- appears at the end of "Fractures" but is not posted on the BF page.

And really, you're not going to buy them because you don't like it when the web page isn't updated? Um, okay.

Warship, Fractures, Drones and Mirror have the updated trailers. The other two don't. And I'm not talking about the release pages, I'm talking about The Classic Audio Adventures page, when you click on this and then the individual adventure there is a link to the trailer. I'm sorry it doesn't please you that I'm not prepared to buy something without a taster. I was rather hoping that Big Finish would update their trailers. This is not just for my sake by the way, but for those who have not purchased the preceding disk which contains the said trailer ...

Lentila
Hiya Meegat!

I presume Big Finish wanted to keep the storyline of the last two very much under wraps. This story is a serial and does need to be listened to in order - Mirror has a major cliff-hanger ending - and the trailer for Cold Fury gives it away - so I suppose they would have had to make a different trailer for the website - and they probably want to encourage people to listen to the episodes in order.

It will spoil the storyline to listen to the episodes out of sequence, in my opinion.

(Initially I was a bit disappointed in the lack of info about the later episodes - but I see why now. Perhaps BF should have made it clearer that this was not just a story arc but one ongoing story. But maybe they thought that would put people off due to the financial outlay!)

I think these full cast audios are very good, by the way.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Hi meegat,

I'm sorry to say that I have been frustrated by the wall of what I personally call 'fanboy secrecy' that characterises Big Finish ever since the beginning of the collective ranges about 15 years ago. They believe that a craving to discover what's on a cd will drive fans to buy them more than knowing in advance what you're buying. Its their business so its their choice how to market the product, but I'm with you in that I would rather know a lot more about any one story before I buy. This issue arose with David Richardson some time ago when I was undecided about buying a Dr Who release. Even though it was an old release and my criteria as a customer was wanting to know what sort of story it was and what sort of atmosphere it had, his attitude was 'you will find out when you buy it, the mystery of whether you will enjoy it is an added incentive to order the disk'...

SD
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Given that one of the leading members of the BF team has very recently passed away, maybe on this occasion, we should give them just a little leeway over a trailer not being added.

trevor travis
I'm particulary intrigued about what "Spoils" is about.

James Goss gave us the stunning "Three"; can he do it again with "Spoils"?

Spaceresearcher
This fans just keen to hear the new adventures. I'd love it if the full cast adventures could be a bit longer though.

Steve Rogerson
Here's my review of Liberator Chronicles volume eight:

http://wizzley.co...ume-eight/

meegat39
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Hi meegat,

I'm sorry to say that I have been frustrated by the wall of what I personally call 'fanboy secrecy' that characterises Big Finish ever since the beginning of the collective ranges about 15 years ago. They believe that a craving to discover what's on a cd will drive fans to buy them more than knowing in advance what you're buying. Its their business so its their choice how to market the product, but I'm with you in that I would rather know a lot more about any one story before I buy. This issue arose with David Richardson some time ago when I was undecided about buying a Dr Who release. Even though it was an old release and my criteria as a customer was wanting to know what sort of story it was and what sort of atmosphere it had, his attitude was 'you will find out when you buy it, the mystery of whether you will enjoy it is an added incentive to order the disk'...

SD

Thanks Lentila, SD and TT. I am aware of their loss and I realise that it could have made a difference to whether an updated trailer was uploaded, however, as I said in my previous posts, they are not the only ones to not be updated. Lentila, I appreciate what you are saying about it all being one story arc and you may be right. SD, I'm with you, I think they should upload a current trailer, it makes good business sense. However, I did go back and relisten to the preceding disk and there was a trailer for Cold Fury at the end, but this made me think if they've already made one, they don't have much of an excuse for not updating the trailer ... I'm sorry if this offends some people given the circumstances, but business is business in my opinion.

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

OMG, yes! Full review in a day or two...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Gauda Cheese
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Hi meegat,

SD

Generally I can tell if i will like it or love it depending on the writer, but thats from having heard so many. I know this isn't the same thing SD, but you can look up reviews for a story upon release.

I buy or will buy all the B7 stuff, because I nearly always like it. With Doctor Who though, whilst they have a level of consistency the new TV show is no where near matching, I still pick and choose the stories I want, because there are just soooo many!

Reviews help if I'm unsure, but now that they have been going for 15 years it gets easier to pick and choose. I'll get the Peter Purves acted stories right away. I also know by now which writers will entertain me the most and which ones usually do nothing for me.

Off topic slightly, happy to continue it elsewhere.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Generally I can tell if i will like it or love it depending on the writer, but thats from having heard so many. I know this isn't the same thing SD, but you can look up reviews for a story upon release.

The only reviews I find helpful are the ones in Dr Who magazine and then only up to a point, as its so hard to find a simple honest review of anything online*. People are often 'love bfp' and just say everything is great or 'hate bfp' and say everything is awful, but very few of them actually describe the drama. Good and bad is subjective, and what I wanted to know was about the sub-genre of the story and the production style; so many of Big Finish's DW audios rush around at 100mph and/or resolve everything in the last episode with a fight against a monster. The audio I was interested in looked like a pure historical with time travel the only fantasy element and no monsters and no big battle at the end, but you have no idea how closely guarded a secret those simple facts were; and that was on old release that I had missed about a year before, so there was no 'spoiler' issues involved.

But yes, like you I can generally choose by the cast and creative after listening to about 200+ of their dramas! Grin

edit: excluding here of course, but reviews of Dr Who merchandise elsewhere are very hit and miss.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 21 May 2014 08:41:27
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Volume 8 is a cracking volume.

Only listened to it once so far, but in particular, "President" and "Spoils" are great tales, with the latter really pushing the boundaries in terms of scope of what is possible within a single Liberator Chronicle.

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

OMG, yes! Full review in a day or two...

Looking forward to see what you made of it, Travisina. My random thoughts are on the spoilers thread.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.52 seconds
9,149,645 unique visits since 8th January 2014