Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,308
· Newest Rebel: Rachel_4_Avon

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [46 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [30 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [35 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [27 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 209
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Kasabi
thewayback7
Any thoughts or speculation about Kasabi's background?

She was a "senior political officer in Space Command" who taught officer cadets until Servalan reported her for "treason".

But what does a political officer do? And what was she teaching that Servalan objected to?

SERVALAN: Kasabi. At last.

TRAVIS: Worth an eighteen-day wait, Supreme Commander?

SERVALAN: Oh, Travis. I've waited longer than that. That woman was a senior political officer in Space Command.

TRAVIS: I am aware of her background.

SERVALAN: She taught officer cadets. But what she was teaching was treason.

TRAVIS: Until a very bright young cadet reported her.

SERVALAN: [smiles] Yes, Travis, I was. A very bright cadet.

TRAVIS: You? You reported her?

SERVALAN: There was an official inquiry, during which the stupid fools let her escape.

TRAVIS: I'll make sure that doesn't happen this time.

SERVALAN: You'll stay here, Travis.

TRAVIS: But--

SERVALAN: Kasabi is mine.

SERVALAN: If you tell me about the rendezvous, I will consider sparing your life.

KASABI: My life isn't yours to spare.

SERVALAN: Oh, but it is.

KASABI: Then take it. But don't try and browbeat me Servalan. Or have you forgotten that I knew you as a cadet? You were a credit to your background: spoilt,idle, vicious. [Pushes Servalan to the floor. To Travis.] My confidential assessment listed her as unfit for command. But I forgot how well-connected she was.

TRAVIS: That is no concern of mine.

KASABI: Then it should be. It should be everyone's concern. The Federation is degenerate, run by creatures like her.

I had a flash of a fanfiction story idea involving a student/protege of Kasabi who was studying at the same time as Servalan.

Her protege is the daughter of a space commander, who takes Kasabi's ideals to heart, and then is left conflicted when Kasabi is arrested.

She won't renounce Kasabi's teachings so her father sends her to work down a dirty mine, to teach her a lesson. (Much like Selma in Horizon). But while there she is taken hostage by fellow mine workers who use her as a bargaining chip to escape, and thereafter she falls down a rabbit hole into the resistance movement.

Another question: would someone with a medical background be studying to be an officer at Space Command? I had in mind the protege was a doctor who was progressing up to become an officer. But I have no idea if that's how things work in the military. (I assume space command is much like the military).

And Kasabi was probably teaching about the spectre of corruption in the Federation. Warning cadets about it. Teaching that the Federation wasn't always corrupt, and needn't be so now if people exposed it.

Thanks.

M1795537 OC Virn
Why don't you just write the story?? Sounds like you have most of it already!
You're not sulking, I hope?

thewayback7
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Yep, *most* of it. I have a few unanswered questions.

But I did just find one of the answers:

In the military, a political commissar or political officer is a supervisory officer responsible for the political education (ideology) and organization of the unit to which they are assigned, with the intention of ensuring political control of the military.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_commissar

So Kasabi was, ironically, in charge of propaganda and brainwashing of the military to ensure the troops did not revolt or go astray.

M1795537 OC Virn
thewayback7 wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Yep, *most* of it. I have a few unanswered questions.

But I did just find one of the answers:

In the military, a political commissar or political officer is a supervisory officer responsible for the political education (ideology) and organization of the unit to which they are assigned, with the intention of ensuring political control of the military.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_commissar

So Kasabi was, ironically, in charge of propaganda and brainwashing of the military to ensure the troops did not revolt or go astray.

I like your research - that's quite a plot 'twist' you found. Of course, it all depends on how people interpret their role...
You're not sulking, I hope?

Grade Four Ignorant
thewayback7 wrote:

Another question: would someone with a medical background be studying to be an officer at Space Command? I had in mind the protege was a doctor who was progressing up to become an officer. But I have no idea if that's how things work in the military. (I assume space command is much like the military).

Space Command will always need torturers. A medical degree would make them more efficient.

thewayback7
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

Space Command will always need torturers. A medical degree would make them more efficient.

Yes, I found out that doctors do go into the military as officers, once qualified.

So presumably all the evil/mad scientists in Space Command would have officer rank.

Deva
thewayback7 wrote:

Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

Yes, I found out that doctors do go into the military as officers, once qualified.

So presumably all the evil/mad scientists in Space Command would have officer rank.

Certainly we know that the space surgeon Maryatt had a triple A security pass giving him, as Blake put it, access to every area of Space Command. (Maryatt though of course, came across as neither evil nor mad).
"Time really is getting short, you know..."

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.52 seconds
36,603,220 unique visits since 8th January 2014