Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Blakes 7 Reboot...
Travisina
timdalton007 wrote:
The question is how would whomever owns the Blake's 7 rights look upon such a venture?

And therein lies the problem. The rights aren't wholly owned by any one person or company - it's part owned by the estate of Terry Nation, part owned by the BBC, with someone else holding various copyrights to series 4. Big Finish have the licence to produce new books and audios for series 1-3, but are still trying to get permission to do series 4. It's complicated...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Avon The Alpha Grade
Travisina wrote:

timdalton007 wrote:
The question is how would whomever owns the Blake's 7 rights look upon such a venture?

And therein lies the problem. The rights aren't wholly owned by any one person or company - it's part owned by the estate of Terry Nation, part owned by the BBC, with someone else holding various copyrights to series 4. Big Finish have the licence to produce new books and audios for series 1-3, but are still trying to get permission to do series 4. It's complicated...

Why not series 4?

exterminator
I think so long as it states quite clearly "Fan production, not for profit, all rights recognised", etc. at the beginning and/or the end of the production, that should cover it. Unless something silly was done like selling DVDs of it, it would be incredibly unlikely that the rights holder(s) would bother sending in the lawyers.
----------------------------------------

"There it is!"

Travisina
Avon The Alpha Grade wrote:

Travisina wrote:

timdalton007 wrote:

Why not series 4?

I've no idea. Big Finish just said that they can only do series 1-3, and implied they may be able to do post-series 4 stories that don't involve the series 4 specific characters (ie Scorpio, Slave and Soolin). Which is a shame, because Glynis Barber said she'd be happy to come back.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Avon The Alpha Grade
Travisina wrote:

Travisina wrote:

timdalton007 wrote:

Why not series 4?

I've no idea. Big Finish just said that they can only do series 1-3, and implied they may be able to do post-series 4 stories that don't involve the series 4 specific characters (ie Scorpio, Slave and Soolin). Which is a shame, because Glynis Barber said she'd be happy to come back.

They have produced the Lucifer stories. It's a real shame they can't though.

JustBrad

[quote][url=http://www.blakes7online.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=355&pid=103770#post_103770][b]Travisina

Why not series 4?

My guess would be that it's something to do with copyright issues.

Avon The Alpha Grade
JustBrad wrote:

[quote][url=http://www.blakes7online.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=355&pid=103770#post_103770][b]Travisina

Why not series 4?

My guess would be that it's something to do with copyright issues.

The only real difference between those series is the new producer. I don't think that would be enough.

BradPaula
When we asked Nicholas Briggs and Jason Haigh-Ellery about the 4th series and copyright issues at TARDIS con a few years ago they said it was very complicated. Some of the characters like Soolin and even 3rd series characters like Bayban are owned and copyrighted by the author, Chris Boucher, I believe it was, and the threads of copyright being with the Nation estate, BBC, Big Finish and the stories authors is a complicated mess. It was hard enough sifting through the legal blocks for the third series they said and we encouraged them that although we were very grateful for what they had achieved and are now allowed to use at Big Finish, we also asked that they do whatever they can to secure more rights for the 4th series and its characters. I can imagine they are trying as best they can, so patience is the word plus a lot of hope! You have to remember always that all of Big Finish personnel are fans of the show and would love to do the entire series with Soolin. A similar problem arises with Tom Chadbon and trying to bring back Duggan from City of Death. It's all held up in copyright with the BBC and Douglas Adam's estate and is a mess to untangle, hence no Duggan range or character as of yet. But with the recent publication of the book City of Death and audio by James Goss, I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Note: At Cygnus Alpha 2 last year, Glynis Barber and Stephen Greif did speak of why Soolin wasn't in Blake's 7 discs and Glynis was at a loss as to why (note: Glynis has done a Doctor Who disc for Big Finish recently, so they are trying to use her in hopes of her being able to do B7 discs at a later date) and Stephen, when it was brought up about copyright issues and Chris Boucher, said he'd be glad to speak with Mr. Boucher so as to get a 4th series going, but alas, it was announced tht Mr. Boucher was in ill health and that conversation was probably not going to occur. But we keep hoping and we have a lot of faith in Big Finish. And as both gentlemen, Briggs and Haigh-Ellery are invited to TARDIS con this year, rest assured we will go up to the Big Finish table and ask about a 4th series and certain characters we would love to have in future discs.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Avon The Alpha Grade
I'd personally like to see an entire volume of the Liberator chronicles devoted to the adventures of Keeler and Avon.

BradPaula
That is a great idea. Just too bad Roy Kinnear passed away many years ago. What I would love to see however, is if not Roy's son Rory reprising the role, than someone who can imitate Roy for a set of discs. What I can do is to relay your suggestion to the Big Finish team come November. Or you can email Big Finish and suggest it yourself. Grin

Avon The Alpha Grade
That would be fab thanks. I'll e-mail them but if you pass that on I would be eternally grateful.

BradPaula
That would be fab thanks. I'll e-mail them but if you pass that on I would be eternally grateful.

Happy to do so. Each year before we attend TARDIS con, I usually have a number of questions written down from Forum members to ask Big Finish. I always think that since we are the focus group of their Blake's 7 range, we should not only speak up about what we'd like to hear, but remind them that Horizon has over 840 members and that is a big block of disc buyers. Yours is the first question on my 2017 list!

Avon The Alpha Grade
BradPaula wrote:
Happy to do so. Each year before we attend TARDIS con, I usually have a number of questions written down from Forum members to ask Big Finish. I always think that since we are the focus group of their Blake's 7 range, we should not only speak up about what we'd like to hear, but remind them that Horizon has over 840 members and that is a big block of disc buyers. Yours is the first question on my 2017 list!

Thank you very much!

Joe Dredd
Maybe Rory can get his godmother to play a role too!

timdalton007
I have to admit, I had no real idea of the rights tangle when I made my earlier post! I wonder if this might also be why a US DVD release hasn't been forthcoming, because the rights are scattered so widely?

timdalton007

Travis8845
I keep hearing people saying that Blake's 7 couldn't come back because they are terrorists and with all the terrorist attacks we have these days (Yeah, like the IRA wasn't bombing the **** out of London in the '80s) it won't come back.

What about Star Wars? A band of outlaws/freedom fighters that rebel against law and order and that film franchise is in rude health!

Moderator edited for profanity.
Edited by BradPaula on 12 May 2017 20:39:39

dissentliveson
Rogue One felt like Blake's 7 homaging. Fractious rebels, Saw is a dead ringer for scarred guerilla bounty hunter Blake in s4 and they all die at the end.

If a Blake's 7 redo was done now I would want Tom Hardy as Blake channeling Bane's speeches against Gorham's elite and as a more angry intense guerilla type from the start. I think Imogen Poots would be good as Jenna and Alia Shawkat would be good as Cally after seeing them in the Green Room.Maybe Noomi Rapace as Servalan and Nicolas Hoult as Vila.

JustBrad
dissentliveson wrote:

Rogue One felt like Blake's 7 homaging.

Indeed, while many in the theater were teary eyed at the end of the film, expecting a last minute rescue, you could easily spot the B7 fans whispering, "They're all going to die." Pfft

Rainesz
JustBrad wrote:

dissentliveson wrote:

Rogue One felt like Blake's 7 homaging.

Indeed, while many in the theater were teary eyed at the end of the film, expecting a last minute rescue, you could easily spot the B7 fans whispering, "They're all going to die." Pfft

My thoughts exactly. And K-2SO was basically their version of Avon.

Travis8845
In a recent interview for SFP-NOW over at scifipulseradio.com B7 Media’s Andrew Mark Sewell opened up about various projects that he’s had a hand in.

During the interview the creative producer talked about his efforts to get Blake’s 7 rebooted. First at Sky Television and then with Syfy.

Sewell also talks about his love of all things pulp. Specifically Dan Dare and Eagle Comics.

The interview also talks about the recent Dan Dare Audio series, which B7 has been producing and releasing through Big Finish audio.

You can listen to this interview in full using the audio, which has been embedded below.

http://www.scifipulse.net/b7-medias-andrew-mark-sewell-talks-blakes-7-reboot-dan-dare/

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.42 seconds
9,136,253 unique visits since 8th January 2014