Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Blakes 7 Reboot...
President Solvite
exterminator wrote:

clareblues1 wrote:
There may have to be compromises of course...such as using the B7 name...I doubt you'd get permission to use it or if you did the money involved would swallow up the entire budget...but who's to say you can't pick up on some of the loose threads left by the TV series without actually making a direct connection and thereby leaving the project open to being sued.

Added to which the internet entertainment streams are a marvellous tool these days...

If I was to do/be involved in something, I'd want to do it on Youtube as a "fan film", but with high as possible production values. That should solve any issues associated with using names etc., as it wouldn't be for profit.

One of the other problems associated with a reboot/remake is casting - who would or could replace the original cast members? I've always thought about approaching this slightly sideways, and set something in the same B7 universe, but with different characters - two things I thought of was:

* Something using a group of characters from the Federation, the adventures of a small squad of Federation troopers.

* A new group of rebels with a leader somehow connected with Blake. I was thinking of Payter Fenn, one of the children brainwashed into giving false evidence at Blake's trial ... plenty of "flawed hero" material there. Maybe the conditioning is breaking down and he wants to find out what happened to him?

* Both of the above, and/or something else as well?

Setting things in the B7 universe would give a greater dramatic scope, and could be series or one-offs.

Of course, I am fully prepared to do more than just talk about this ... !!

Thoughts?

Sounds like a great idea, doing a production in a similar vein say to Kevin Rubio's Troops perhaps?

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Travisina
Space Chopper wrote:
...maybe a group of dissidents from the System were able to escape with another sister ship? We know such people exist, as some of them helped Blake. Who knows how many ships there are in the DSV class...

Look no further than the Liberator Chronicles story The Magnificent 4 (it's one of the stories on Volume 2). It's exactly that - another DSV (not quite as good as Libby), another rebel crew who escaped from the System (not quite as good as Blake's bunch)!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Travisina
exterminator wrote:

Setting things in the B7 universe would give a greater dramatic scope, and could be series or one-offs.

Of course, I am fully prepared to do more than just talk about this ... !!

Thoughts?

I could be interested in such a project. Rather than a reboot/reimagining/recasting, I'd like to see a spin-off with new characters based in the B7 universe. All your suggestions, eg troopers, a new group of rebels, Payter Fenn etc are good starting points. Keep me in the loop with discussions?

clareblues1
Have just PM'd you Travisina Smile
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

Grade Four Ignorant
exterminator wrote:

* Something using a group of characters from the Federation, the adventures of a small squad of Federation troopers.

* A new group of rebels with a leader somehow connected with Blake. I was thinking of Payter Fenn, one of the children brainwashed into giving false evidence at Blake's trial ... plenty of "flawed hero" material there. Maybe the conditioning is breaking down and he wants to find out what happened to him?
Thoughts?

I once had an idea for a story where the main character was one of the soldiers who shot the crew on Gauda Prime. Whilst burying Avon's corpse, he would find Orac's activation key which would in turn lead to him finding Orac and eventually going on the run and putting together his own rebel crew.

Travisina
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

I once had an idea for a story where the main character was one of the soldiers who shot the crew on Gauda Prime. Whilst burying Avon's corpse, he would find Orac's activation key which would in turn lead to him finding Orac and eventually going on the run and putting together his own rebel crew.

Nice idea, G4I Smile

Grade Four Ignorant
Travisina wrote:

Nice idea, G4I Smile

Thanks. I liked the idea of thematically tying it into The Way Back - the central character would be the witness, and indeed perpetrator, of a Federation sanctioned massacre, spurring them into action and causing them to take up arms against the establishment. I even toyed with the idea of the soldier initially being nameless and taking on the alias of Blake.

Travisina
I even toyed with the idea of the soldier initially being nameless and taking on the alias of Blake.

I like that idea, too. Smile
What happened to the story, G4I - did it get finished?

clareblues1
By way of a modest update...exterminator and I had a very productive chat via audio communications last night...scrambled to protect against Federation monitoring of course...

We're confident we can bring something into existence and are excited by the challenge!
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

Travis8845
I know this one is dead but does anybody think that it will come back someday?

JustBrad
Travis8845 wrote:

Anything is possible, so many shows of that era are getting reboots, but the rights to B7 are a bit of a muddle.

In the meantime, may I recommend Big Finish Audio? They have done 50 plus audio adventures with the original cast.

steveothen
Travis8845 wrote:

I'd like to think it would come back one day, & i'm actually quite confused as to why it hasn't.

I'd like to see it come back as a loose continuation of the original, rather than a re-boot, so that there could be cameos from Paul darrow & Michael keating etc. ( i suppose like they did with the various star trek series , enabling spock etc to pop back ).
But a brand new set of crusaders if you like, maybe call the ship blakes 7 or something, so as a way of keeping the name of the show the same without having the problem of the actor playing blake leaving. or rename the show Blakes Legacy instead.

I just can't fathom out why its not been brought back, a fantastic concept, ready made, with an existing fan-base, its a no-brainer as far as i can see, we just need some powerfull tv executives to want to see it return, & it would, like what happened with dr. who.

Travis8845
I think the fanbase must be quite small these days but there is an aversion to bringing back a lot of old stuff. Usually, along the lines of people won't remember it. Why does that matter? People will just treat it as new which is why a reboot would be better in my opinion. I thought Paul Darrow owned the rights but read an old post on here yesterday saying that the Nation Estate does, anybody know which it is? I can see how the Nation Estate may be problematic.

Sapphire and Steel is supposed to be coming back, but so many of these comebacks ever happen or end up in rights hell. I think there may have been chances but without the support of a current TV writer like Neil Cross or RTD then I don't see it happening.

I like that BF are helping to keep the spirit alive and a community together. It's also nice to see conventions like Cygnus Alpha doing well. I just can't see anything beyond that. I would be surprised if anything does happens. More than that, delighted.

Travis8845
Also, people seem to think that Science Fiction is for kids. There also seems to be a lack of new SF on TV. I miss Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes but never really counted them as SF. Dave brought back Red Dwarf but I just can't get on board with there new stuff.

sooper mouse
Travis8845 wrote:

I think the fanbase must be quite small these days but there is an aversion to bringing back a lot of old stuff. Usually, along the lines of people won't remember it. Why does that matter? People will just treat it as new which is why a reboot would be better in my opinion. I thought Paul Darrow owned the rights but read an old post on here yesterday saying that the Nation Estate does, anybody know which it is? I can see how the Nation Estate may be problematic.

Sapphire and Steel is supposed to be coming back, but so many of these comebacks ever happen or end up in rights hell. I think there may have been chances but without the support of a current TV writer like Neil Cross or RTD then I don't see it happening.

I like that BF are helping to keep the spirit alive and a community together. It's also nice to see conventions like Cygnus Alpha doing well. I just can't see anything beyond that. I would be surprised if anything does happens. More than that, delighted.

Paul D had permission to use them from nation's widow. Once he pulled out of that, it's dealing with the Nation estate.
We have written to them regarding the videogame I'm trying to push- their solicitors are rather unhelpful.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

JustBrad
According to Paul's autobiography he never had the rights.

sooper mouse
JustBrad wrote:

According to Paul's autobiography he never had the rights.

In the audio version he said he asked Nation' s widow if he could have them...
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

MLPasterisk
Travis8845 wrote:

It's not inconceivable. Netflix have a Lost In Space reboot coming in 2018. Blake's 7 has a similar "name" recognition to that show.

I think the problem is it would be very, very expensive to do properly.

There are very few sci-fi shows on mainstream networks now. Even the forthcoming Star Trek series Discovery will be on a streaming service.

sooper mouse
MLPasterisk wrote:

Travis8845 wrote:

It's not inconceivable. Netflix have a Lost In Space reboot coming in 2018. Blake's 7 has a similar "name" recognition to that show.

I think the problem is it would be very, very expensive to do properly.

There are very few sci-fi shows on mainstream networks now. Even the forthcoming Star Trek series Discovery will be on a streaming service.

not necessarily. WE do awesome stuff with CGI nowadays, and the price is going down.

timdalton007
I think the best option might well be a fan series with solid production values. Look at, say, Star Trek Continues for an example of that. The question is how would whomever owns the Blake's 7 rights look upon such a venture?

timdalton007

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.47 seconds
9,864,834 unique visits since 8th January 2014