Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Blakes 7 Reboot...
JustBrad
Hugbot wrote:

Excalibur in Crusade was much more reminiscent of the original Liberator design than this heap of junk (and among the crew members were a telepath, a thief, and an irritating talking box).

As you probably know, that was intentional. Joe Straczynski is a HUGE Blake's 7 fan.

exterminator
The audio CDs/downloads are a great way for the actors from the original series to continue in their roles and expand the existing "universe". Unfortunately I think too much time has passed for a direct "Series 5" (as it were) continuation with some or all of the original cast members - I can't see too many of them sprinting around a chalk quarry in the middle of February. Of course, cameo roles wouldn't be ruled out ...

I'm not a particular fan of it, but when Star Trek returned to the small screen as "The Next Generation", it was with a new crew and an updated (but still recognisable) Enterprise. I suppose they could have used some or all of the original cast or re-cast the lot. Oh, and you also had Deep Space Nine a little later, set in the same TNG universe, complete with cast crossovers, cameos and the like.

I've always thought about doing either something with a NEW band of rebels (along the lines of the original B7) or a series of short stories (maybe with some of them from the Federation's perspective), and perhaps have elements of some stories appearing in others - I was thinking of calling it something like "Blake's 7 - The Outer Worlds".

I've got some ideas as far as the concept goes, if anyone is interested perhaps we could develop something that could be filmed ... ??
----------------------------------------

"There it is!"

Frankymole
Joe Dredd wrote:

such detail being critical to any kind of transmedia strategy for a property in this day and age.

Ha ha ha ha ha!
Not to mention "an unforgiving, exacting audience". They'd have to be the exact opposite to accept such poor designs. And a big insult to Roger Murray-Leach there (whose boots they are not fit to clean, let alone fill!).

exterminator
I don't really see what requires "filling in" in the characters' backgrounds for this to "work", and I wonder wat a transmedia strategy is? Ooh, it sounds very technical and exiting! Perhaps it means it'll look nice on the telly!! Perhaps thats what we're supposed to think? It sounds like someone has read a book on "How To Do TV Stuff".

We didn't know that much about Blake or any of the other characters from the outset, we found out as we went along. And with more modern series like Torchwood, again, we didn't know everything about Captain Jack, we got bits and pieces in different episodes.

Perhaps the producers feel that they've got to "lay it all out" for the audience from the start?

"There it is!"

JannaKalderash
JustBrad wrote:

Hugbot wrote:

Excalibur in Crusade was much more reminiscent of the original Liberator design than this heap of junk (and among the crew members were a telepath, a thief, and an irritating talking box).

As you probably know, that was intentional. Joe Straczynski is a HUGE Blake's 7 fan.

That box wasn't irritating, it was flat out evil in a way that Orac could never hope to achieve!

The one saving grace of that little plastic porqueria was that it was an ego in a box.

Excalibur's box had a demon inside it, there's a difference.

Oh, and if anyone wants to know what porqueria means.....send me PM. I don't think the MODS want me using that kind of language in the public forum.

BradPaula
@Janna: Porqueria- Spanish, meaning dirt, filth, or vulgarity. Isn't Google a wonderful thing? -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Space Chopper
Oh, dear...
Wiseman to direct space-set 'dirty dozen'.

Sounds familiar?
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

BradPaula

It sounds very familiar! Bet the BBC could sue them for copyright infringement if need be.

Travisina
BradPaula wrote:

It sounds very familiar! Bet the BBC could sue them for copyright infringement if need be.

Once MGM have finished suing the BBC, that is!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

clareblues1
It does sound familiar indeed...but kudos to them for actually getting a studio to offer commission for it in the first place. I was beginning to give up hope of studios ever being willing to finance this kind of project.

To pick up on what exterminator was saying a few months back...I'm in complete agreement...I do worry what the future holds...the day is going to come when the existing fan base has to hand over the reigns to the next generation...but if we've not got anything to hand over...that won't achieve much will it?
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

Vargas
Hello everyone

Well, speaking as someone who works in TV drama and a writer, I'm at a loss as to what the hell is going on. If I had the goldmine that is Blake's 7, I wouldn't be mucking about. It is so perfect idea, but especially in this day and age.

Could anyone update me on the current situation. Last I heard it went all quiet on the Martin Campbell project and then someone else was talking about a movie?

This poor show has had more promised remakes/new series/movies than you can wave a stick at. I hope it gets sorted. But above all that, I hope its done properly.

Call me a fan-boy, but I think design wise I'd barely change a thing with the liberator. It was unique for its time. Both exterior and interior.

Oh well, keeping fingers crossed. But, we are all in the believe when we see it camp, I bet.

Wink

Hugbot
Yes, with 'the dirty dozen in space', 'prison transport' and 'unlikely group of heroes', this does indeed sound familiar. But at least they donít pretend it's Blakeís 7!

The travesty previously discussed on this thread said 'Blake's 7' on the label, but didnít have Blake's 7 inside. On the other hand, we had series like Babylon 5 and Firefly that were never marketed as B7 (although I tend to call Firefly 'Blake's 9' ) but had much more in common with our series than the last aborted attempts of a reboot. Crusade would have been the closest thing to a B7 remake if it had continued as planned by JMS. Maybe this one falls in the same category? Wink

Actually, it sounds exactly like a B7 reboot as envisioned by Paula: A mercenary (I do not have to tell you his name, do I?) receives a distress call by the prison ship London, but instead of supporting the legitimate crew, he falls for the blonde smuggler/pilot and sides with the rebels. Hey, maybe that is exactly what they are doing! Smile

BradPaula
@Hugbot: The 'Paula Reboot' yes, I know that well! Hugbot- you have some of the most interesting and humorous posts on this Forum. Thanks!

exterminator
@Vargas - You're right, it seems that everyone who has considered continuing B7 in some form or other has said "Blake's 7 is completely unique from all other series in the genre ... so we're going to tinker with it at a fundamental level for no apparent reason".

I can understand the need for some updating for modern audiences, but it does seem that producers want to change things for no better reason than "because I can". The Liberator (for example) is such an iconic design. I could see the point of making an updated version (keeping the classic silhouette), but I could not justify turning it into "yet another" grey/brown lumpy thing that looks like it's from some instantly forgettable direct-to-DVD movie.

Maybe we should do something ourselves ... ?? What does anyone say to that, hmm??

"There it is!"

clareblues1
exterminator wrote:

Maybe we should do something ourselves ... ?? What does anyone say to that, hmm??

I'd say go for it...mainly because I'd love to see B7 in some or other guise back on the box. I hold my hands up and admit I am a visual person and in a general sense gain more pleasure from it over audio.

Yes we know the existing fan base is very protective of B7 and that may be why reboots have stalled in the past, but we can't allow creativity and new ideas to be stifled and quite honestly I'd feel uncomfortable if I thought someone who was thinking of doing something was afraid to because of the 'backlash'. Constructive comments are helpful...outright criticism is not. We all have our likes and dislikes.

There may have to be compromises of course...such as using the B7 name...I doubt you'd get permission to use it or if you did the money involved would swallow up the entire budget...but who's to say you can't pick up on some of the loose threads left by the TV series without actually making a direct connection and thereby leaving the project open to being sued.

Added to which the internet entertainment streams are a marvellous tool these days...

JustBrad
exterminator wrote:

I can understand the need for some updating for modern audiences, but it does seem that producers want to change things for no better reason than "because I can".

I suspect the 'tinkering' is to bring in 'in line' with accepted television formulas and tropes in order to make it more marketable, which ruins the uniqueness, and makes it Not Blake's 7. Vicious circle.

exterminator
clareblues1 wrote:
There may have to be compromises of course...such as using the B7 name...I doubt you'd get permission to use it or if you did the money involved would swallow up the entire budget...but who's to say you can't pick up on some of the loose threads left by the TV series without actually making a direct connection and thereby leaving the project open to being sued.

Added to which the internet entertainment streams are a marvellous tool these days...

If I was to do/be involved in something, I'd want to do it on Youtube as a "fan film", but with high as possible production values. That should solve any issues associated with using names etc., as it wouldn't be for profit.

One of the other problems associated with a reboot/remake is casting - who would or could replace the original cast members? I've always thought about approaching this slightly sideways, and set something in the same B7 universe, but with different characters - two things I thought of was:

* Something using a group of characters from the Federation, the adventures of a small squad of Federation troopers.

* A new group of rebels with a leader somehow connected with Blake. I was thinking of Payter Fenn, one of the children brainwashed into giving false evidence at Blake's trial ... plenty of "flawed hero" material there. Maybe the conditioning is breaking down and he wants to find out what happened to him?

* Both of the above, and/or something else as well?

Setting things in the B7 universe would give a greater dramatic scope, and could be series or one-offs.

Of course, I am fully prepared to do more than just talk about this ... !!

Thoughts?

"There it is!"

littlesue
When Blake went out in 1981 and horrified us all, many of us sat down to do a follow on...but now, 30+ years has passed.
I think a new band of rebels with a link to Blake is perhaps the way to go...after all, that Clone and Rashel seemed to get on quite well......
But, how to get the Libby back. Thinking caps on......
And then, what form of production?
I'm sure there are some brill animators out there.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Space Chopper
I liked the idea that the guys behind Blake's Legend had, where the Icarus was basically what was left of Liberator after the destruction at Terminal, and the auto-repair systems put together what was left. Of course, The System is still out there, and after Orac effectively put the mockers on their central control to allow our heroes to escape, maybe a group of dissidents from the System were able to escape with another sister ship? We know such people exist, as some of them helped Blake. Who knows how many ships there are in the DSV class. We saw 1 and 2, what about DSV-3?

We could either do something similar to Blake's Legend (Blake's Legacy?) or have a new group of rebels- refugees from The System, who escaped it and now fight injustice in the Federation, having learned of Blake's exploits.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

clareblues1
exterminator and I have been yakking off forum...we're going to have a more in depth chin wag...but there seems to be some interest here for such a project, which gives confidence that any effort gone to would be welcomed/supported.

I'm willing to back it and assist exterminator in the best way I can. Smile

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.73 seconds
9,118,510 unique visits since 8th January 2014