Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,308
· Newest Rebel: Rachel_4_Avon

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [46 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [30 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [35 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [27 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 209
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
The effect of teleportation
Lurena
i.imgur.com/mIljecy.jpg

During our B7 discussions Lorna brought up the following:

Would it be possible to teleport an open bucket of water?
In other words: what would be the effect of the reduction and the transmission of matter as pure energy?

Which in turn led me to the following thought:
Do we ever see an object being teleported without a human companion?
In other words: is the energy (aura, if you like) of a living being important to be able to teleport?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember any, for example, tools or extra bracelets being teleported unaccompanied by a crew member.

We would love it if you would join us in thinking along.

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
JustBrad
I certainly don't recall any cargo being teleported, unless you count the teleport bracelet in Shadow, but that was Cally and the magic cacti, not Liberator.
Men of Harlech cease your dreaming, can't you see their street signs gleaming...

BradPaula
Big Finish did a story in the Blake's 7 range called Mindset, where an Auronare captured three of Liberator's crew in the running water of a pool. When they were rescued, they left a lot of water in the teleport bay. Because the Auronare was one with the water, they decided to mop it all up into the teleport bay and transport it off the ship. I know it's not canon as such but they did use the teleport for something other than transportation of the crew.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Lorna
BradPaula wrote:

Big Finish did a story in the Blake's 7 range called Mindset, where an Auronare captured three of Liberator's crew in the running water of a pool. When they were rescued, they left a lot of water in the teleport bay. Because the Auronare was one with the water, they decided to mop it all up into the teleport bay and transport it off the ship. I know it's not canon as such but they did use the teleport for something other than transportation of the crew.

It goes with my thought "can you teleport water?"

Spaceship Dispatcher
Lorna wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

It goes with my thought "can you teleport water?"

Strictly speaking, all the human crew members that teleport are mostly water... Grin

sweevo
Maybe the teleporter requires organic matter (similar to the Terminator movies)? In other words, sending or receiving an inanimate object alone might not work.

Joe Dredd
The teleport only transports inorganic matter if it is connected to organic matter. Moloch dies at the end of 'Moloch' because the teleport doesn't bring his life support system along with his physical body.

I assume 'organic' means 'living', so H2O wouldn't count - though perhaps it would given it probably has tiny life forms living in it? Though if that were so, wouldn't organic things be transported by dint of any bacteria that happens to be on them?

Lorna
So if the teleport only transports inorganic matter that means that the Liberator has to land to take on board supplies; ie medical supplies toilet rolls and food.

Deva
In Gold, Avon is sure he can use the teleport to steal the gold until Orac rains on his parade, but of course not for any reason connected to organic or inorganic matter.
"Time really is getting short, you know..."

Deva
AVON The molecular structure of Aquatar appeared to contain the key to the reduction and the transmission of matter as pure energy.
JENNA Instant transportation.
BLAKE Send solid objects like radio signals. Trouble was it seldom worked.
AVON And on living matter it never worked. Put a living creature into one end, take a dead creature out of the other, or nothing at all.

Not conclusive but this exchange suggests that the Federation project was able to teleport inorganic matter without it being in contact with a living thing if you assume that they began, rather than risking lives, solely with inanimate objects. Avon talks of living creatures, not people, so it would seem logical that they started with solid objects and then progressed to animals and then abandoned the project before they tried with a human being.
"Time really is getting short, you know..."

JustBrad
Lorna wrote:

So if the teleport only transports inorganic matter that means that the Liberator has to land to take on board supplies; ie medical supplies toilet rolls and food.

In Horizon, Orac stated that Liberator had concentrated food for one person for a thousand years. Presumably, Libby was similarly provisioned with other supplies like toilet paper.

Although when stocking their DSV's, the System probably didn't account for Auron Veggie Burgers.
Men of Harlech cease your dreaming, can't you see their street signs gleaming...

briggsy1
Lorna wrote:

I bet they get through a lot of toilet roll, given how their lives seem to be constantly on the line.

Lorna
JustBrad wrote:

Lorna wrote:

In Horizon, Orac stated that Liberator had concentrated food for one person for a thousand years. Presumably, Libby was similarly provisioned with other supplies like toilet paper.

Although when stocking their DSV's, the System probably didn't account for Auron Veggie Burgers.

The Liberator may have concentrated food, but they will need fruit and vegetables to stay healthy. I dont think that will have changed over time.

Joe Dredd
It's within reason that the teleport would class fruit and veg as organic.

The Liberator could have a hydroponics section or a farming gallery, but that seems less likely.

Lurena
Deva wrote:

AVON The molecular structure of Aquatar appeared to contain the key to the reduction and the transmission of matter as pure energy.
JENNA Instant transportation.
BLAKE Send solid objects like radio signals. Trouble was it seldom worked.
AVON And on living matter it never worked. Put a living creature into one end, take a dead creature out of the other, or nothing at all.

Not conclusive but this exchange suggests that the Federation project was able to teleport inorganic matter without it being in contact with a living thing if you assume that they began, rather than risking lives, solely with inanimate objects. Avon talks of living creatures, not people, so it would seem logical that they started with solid objects and then progressed to animals and then abandoned the project before they tried with a human being.

I can agree. It would be the human thing to do.
But the System probably started from quantum computing.

In fact, at this very moment, some scientists are working on a teleport system, starting with no-matter. In 2020 they said they had a success with transporting a "message". They made an interaction between distant electrons. The field of this science is called quantum teleportation.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.55 seconds
36,620,560 unique visits since 8th January 2014